AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Tool Warfare
posted 04-19-99 09:12 PM ET (US)   
Tool Warfare

All of the information in this was taken from www.gamers.com in the AoE Bible. It is much more comprehensive than this, but I thought the Academy needed something like this, so I condensed it. Your comments would be useful. Some of this stuff is pretty basic; it pretty much geared to newbies and rookies.

Leading Tool Civilizations

Shang
The key to Shang is their versatility. Shang can build all units up to Bronze, they have cheap villagers, double strength walls, and great Priests. Cheap vills use less food and let you Tool and Bronze faster.

Assyria
Assyrians have fast vills and increased rate of fire for Tool Age Bowmen. Bowmen are very effective at killing vills, and only require one upgrade to be effective. Vills can evade Bowmen pretty easily though, and in RoR, slingers will murder Bowmen. If you suspect your opponent is going to use slingers, throw in a few scouts or Axemen.

Phoenicia
The Phoenician woodcutting bonus means fewer vills will have to chop wood. Essentially you have extra vills. They are a good civ to use for Tool Bowmen, because their woodcutting bonus will apply to building as well as military units.

Rome
Rome is strong in Tool Age due to its discounted buildings, especially towers. That way you can assign fewer vills to wood and stone, meaning you can put more on food. Rome's great Bronze Age Barracks units mean that they won't be wasted when you build one. Also, if you can get some vills into an enemy town, an order of those cheap towers should meet a hungry enemy's diet of arrows. J

Boom
A Boom doesn't use a full scale Tool attack and starts highly defensive. Later on, it turns highly offensive. Usually a boomer will utilize a mid-sized Tool army late in Tool, usually during a Bronze. Other than the obvious reason of taking out enemy vills, this also clears up some housing space.
A BOOM SHOULD BE USED IF YOU CAN BE WALLED IN EASILY AND HAS ACCESS TO LOTS OF FISH AND GOLD THAT CAN BE WALLED IN.
The objectives for Booming are:
1. Making about 30 vills BEFORE Tooling(including fishing boats)
2. To continue to make boats during the Tool upgrade.
3. To spread out your production and quickly wall in Tool to slow the enemy's army in Tool or Bronze.
4. Disrupt enemy's economy w/a late Tool Age attack. (Optional, the best usually try to)
5. Absorb and deflect opponent's attack. (Who usually hits Bronze before you)
6. To hit Bronze a few minutes slower than normal, but w/about 40 total vills(Vills/boats)

A Boom can be detected because he usually hits Tool w/about 30 Vills, he'll Tool pretty slow, and then his vill count jumps dramatically as he mass produces boats. Booming works best on maps w/a lot of water and is best with Shang, Phoenician, or Minoan.
One way to defeat the Boom is a Tool Rush or a very fast hit in Bronze, somehow getting around his walls. Booming is incredibly strong on a big map. Don't wait long to attack a boomer, or else he'll convert his economy into something useful.

Pass
Passing is jumping through the Tool Age quickly. It's a very offensive strategy, little or no resources are spent on walls or defense in general. You want the battle to take place on the enemy's soil. This is the ultimate Bronze rush, where no resources are spent on upgrades, extra builds, vills, or units in Tool. Usually, 20-24 vills is an appropriate amount. The goal is to hit Tool with a finished barracks, about 700 food, and 300 wood. Use about 7-8 vills to build two Tool buildings needed to go to Bronze. In the meantime, the other 100 food should have been collected. In a perfect Pass, you'll have exactly zero food and zero wood right after you hit the Bronze button. The best Pass strategies have a Bronze in 11 minutes, but a Bronze under 13 minutes is pretty good.
You can recognize a Pass strat in Tool when no additional vills are made in Tool, his exploration isn't very high, and he only has 1 technology researched, the technology you get for hitting Tool. The best way to defeat a Pass is one, Tool Rush, or two, wall your production and Boom.

Probe to Play
The final Tool Age strat with the objective of passing through Tool and hitting in Bronze is Probe to Play(PtoP). This is a lot like the Pass, but it delays Bronze time a little to make a small attack in Tool. Sometimes this attack is made w/units that are made before the Bronze upgrade starts, delaying the Bronze time, other times this attack is made with units made after the Bronze upgrade is started, creating a weaker offensive army. The main objective is to hit Bronze fast while using a small Tool Age attack to slow the enemy down. This was originally called Resource Equalisation (Yes, it is spelled "equalisation". Celestial_Dawn, an excellent player from Australia, spelled it that way.)
A PtoP start is basically offensive, with the main objective being to hit Bronze a little after your enemy but w/a better economy. Non-Shang players often use this tactic to buy time to develop a military, so it often involves defensive elements. The small Tool attack is to buy time to wall in you resources. A PtoP strat works on a Pass because the Tool attack hits an undefended economy. It also gets a "probing" view of their town, as well as locate their resources are, so your Bronze troops know where to hit, while your enemy's Bronze troops are looking for your vills.
This strat is tough to detect. It looks a great deal like a Pass. Typical signs are:
1. Bronzing with 20-24 vills.
2. Researching a few technologies right after Tooling
3. A small attack at about 11 minutes with Tool troops.

Push
The Push involves a full-scale Tool Age attack. Push is taken from a Probing Rush (P from Probe and ush from Rush=Push). Of the four Tool attacks (Blitz, Brush, Rush, and Push) this is the most powerful with the most units, but it's the slowest. It is the most versatile also, allowing you the option of progressing quickly to the Bronze Age or fighting a prolonged Tool battle.
The objective of the Push is to Tool before your opponent, attack quickly, then (depending what you find in the enemy's town) wage a full scale Tool war or go to Bronze. This delays your decision until you know what your enemy is doing.
Scouting is essential. Send one of your first Vills (with Shang, you can send one of your first three, with others, number six or seven) to explore the map.
To use the Push, go quickly into tool after making 18-20 vills. Don't use fishing boats, but shore fish are very useful. To get the fastest Tool time, get only enough wood for four houses and two Tool buildings. Once you get two Tool buildings, ALL of your vills should be collecting food. Try to find a sweet spot to build your storage pit. Remember, go with shore fish instead of berries if possible. If you assign more than two vills to collect each set of shore fish, they'll bump into each other and end up sitting around idle.
Once you begin to Tool upgrade, you should have very little wood. Move most of your vills from food back to wood. Here's a big advantage of having your pit near your food. Hopefully you won't need to make a different food-gathering building. Your objectives:
1. Locate the enemy.
2. Complete a barracks before you arrive at the Tool Age (probably near your base somewhere, unless you found the enemy quickly and your vill is idle near the enemy-build it there.)
3. Hit Tool with around 350 food and 150 wood.
You should hit Tool between seven and nine minutes. Immediately build a Stable near the enemy and begin researching Toolworking and Leather Cavalry Armor upgrades at your pit. Quickly build another house. Then start making Scouts.
It's important to use Scouts in the Push strat because one of the main objectives is to explore the enemy territory. Don't build another military building unless your Scouts are doing a good job killing enemy vills.
Don't attack large groups of vills until you have at least two Scouts. If their vills are going to kill your Scouts, move them away. Try to get the enemy's vills to follow, so they are collecting resources.
If you find vills trying to build a building, do everything you can to stop them. Don't chase them until you kill them, just prevent anyone from working on it. You might be able to delay his Bronze time too.
If the first two Scouts are doing well, keep training Scouts and consider making another military building. Use your Scouts to sweep out hidden packets of vills. If you have 3-4 Scouts searching and you can't find any vills, keep looking but stop training Scouts. Now start saving food for Bronze.
If your two Scouts get stopped, stop training Scouts, wall your area, and go to Bronze.

Tool Rush
The Tool Rush is the foundation of Tool Age warfare. It's fast, offensive, and powerful. It's similar to the Tool Push, but it hits faster and is a more determined attack. You Tool with about 16 vills. The average Tool time is from seven to nine minutes.
The main objective is to attack an undefended opponent. It's a full-scale attack in the Tool Age. You keep producing military units until you kill them or your attack is repelled. A failed Tool Rush should hurt the enemy enough to get you to Bronze first.
Just like the Tool Push, switch your vills to food after you finish your first two Stone Age buildings. Switch them back to wood as needed after clicking Tool upgrade, then distribute them as appropriate.
16 vills, a fast Tool time, and a high exploration show the signs of a Tool Rush. The best way to defend it is not to advance into Bronze right away. You need to spend your resources on repelling the rush. Try to wall off your resources too. You may attack a one or two man force without upgrades with you peasants. Then build units to counter their units. If they are using Bowmen, make slingers, If they are using Scouts, Axes, or Clubs, then make Slingers.
A classic finish is called the Kiss of Death. This involves walling in your opponents Town center. He will get the message "not enough room to place unit".

Brush
The Brush is the second fastest, next to the Blitz. Tooling with 14 vills, you sacrifice your economy for a chance to hurt your enemy. If you fail, you're dead.
The objective is to jump to Tool and attack right away, often before the enemy has even saved up enough food to Tool. This is much more powerful if you find you pit near wood and fish, or at least wood and wildlife. Make your second building a barracks. The Barracks units work best for a brush because they are the most powerful early in the game.
You can recognize a Brush strat because he'll Tool with about 14 vills. You may think he is a newbie, but if he kept up a constant stream of vills, you're about to get Brushed.
Try to keep 120 wood in reserve. Don't boom in stone, you need to hit Tool so you can wall. Walls stop Brushes, but your enemy wants to hit you before you can wall. Dock fishing can stop a brush too. If you can wall off your woodcutters and dock, your economy will eventually win out. Spread out your production also. When his army hits, run! Fighting a Brusher's army with your vills is a very bad idea. This is where you can use that 120 wood, make a Storage Pit.

Blitz
The Blitz is the fastest of the rushes. The Blitz sacrifices all economy and any hope of Bronzing for pure Tool speed. It's been said that:

My tool rush is always devastating, but not always to my enemy.

-Malachi

(taken from http://www.ns.net/~thump/quotes.htm)

The Blitz gives a great chance for you to kill yourself in a failed attack. You should Tool with about 12 vills and try to hit your enemy even before he starts to Tool. You should hit Tool between six and seven and a half minutes.
You need a great starting spot(with shore fish near wood), don't even consider Blitzing. You'll only have 12 vills, and one will be scouting, you need to make shifts in workload between food and wood. Your scout also has to find your enemy within three or four minutes or the Blitz might fail. Build a barracks near the enemy's town in the Stone Age and gather the wood so you can make a second military building immediately upon Tooling.
Axes work well in a Blitz, so your first two military buildings should be barracks. In Stone, you should make Clubs to be upgraded into Axes. In Tool, first research Leather Armor and then Toolworking. Build another Barracks and continue to make clubs. A group of four Clubs should be sent into their town so they turn into Axes when they get there. Keep making Axes, the occasional vill, and the houses necessary.
Assyria or Phoenicia works well with Bowmen thrown into the mix. Hittite has the attack bonus for the Bowmen, but no speed-to-Tool bonuses. Romans could work with a few towers tossed in there.
Once you've killed all the enemy vills or forced them to run away, follow them with a single Axer, or if you've made any Bowmen, those. Use the Axes to start destroying buildings. You should have about 12 military units.
Your main target is the enemy's TC. If he has no TC, he can't Bronze. A good Tool Blitz should destroy his TC at about 12 minutes. Best-case scenario: Enemy has 800 food, Bronzes, you destroy his TC. He loses his TC and 800 food. If you get hit by a Blitz, and you are upgrading your age, and in danger of losing your TC, cancel the upgrade.
Next target is the Storage Pit. Without a Pit or TC the enemy can't get wood, and without wood the enemy can't relocate his workers. Docks, if any, come next. Then houses. Granaries are of no strategic value, so destroy them last. Detail an Axeman to guard the Granary so no one uses it. Soon you'll want a stable to hunt down the remaining vills. Don't let them dock fish under any circumstances.
You should Tool in under six minutes and be in the enemy town by about seven to seven and a half minutes with upgraded Axemen. He might no have started the Tool upgrade yet.
It's easy to detect a Tool Blitz because the enemy will stop at about 12 vills and Tool very fast. Defending against a good Blitz is very tough, even if you know it's coming. The best solution is to have about 120 wood before your enemy attacks. Scatter your vills when he attacks, don't let the Axes follow you. If you Tooled, research the wall and wall in your pocket of lumber production. Build a dock or two and start making boats to dock fish. If you can Bronze in less than 17 minutes, you'll totally destroy the Blitzer.
Most people will laugh when you Tool with 12 vills and attack with Clubs, but when they change to Axes and keep on coming, his disposition will change real fast. The real advantage of the Blitz is that most people underestimate what you can do under the ten-minute mark. You must totally destroy your enemy, and not let their economy back on track. I wouldn't recommend you Blitz in team games. In a 3vs3, probably only one, if any, of you will have to resources to Blitz. You will effectively take yourself out of the game. Even if you cause critical damage to one enemy, his teammates can rescue him, and if he gets even on vill out, he'll probably recover.

Replies:
posted 04-19-99 09:45 PM ET (US)     1 / 21  
It's a good article, but their may be some legal implications that need to be researched before submitting it to the Academy.

Who wrote it? Did the author receive compensation for the article? If so, then gamers.com probably owns the rights to the article and it cannot be posted here. If not, then does the author give permission for it to be posted?

I don't want to rain on your parade, but in our increasingly litigious society, these things need to be checked out.

posted 04-19-99 10:54 PM ET (US)     2 / 21  
Well, it's paraphrased, not taken directly from the site, but I will check it out. Believe me, this is about an eighth the size of the total information on gamers.com, so this is very, very condensed. But I'll think about your ideas. Thks.
posted 04-19-99 11:55 PM ET (US)     3 / 21  
ThumP wrote the tool age stuff and i believe Kleitus wrote the civ stuff,, but he may not have been the only one. Any how I would NOT submit any thing from GX to the academy here w/out asking them.. paraphrased or not.. neilkaz..

[This message has been edited by neilkaz (edited 04-21-99).]

posted 04-20-99 00:03 AM ET (US)     4 / 21  
Id bet they would never let AoEH have any of their articles, and anyways,until the Academy can use GX's articles and write new ones, I will skip the Academy and head to GX.
posted 04-20-99 00:09 AM ET (US)     5 / 21  
neilkaz - You would or would not use GX articles?
posted 04-20-99 10:40 PM ET (US)     6 / 21  
Well, for now anyway, I think I'll work mostly on my Egypt guide, and refine this later and post it again. Thks guys!
posted 04-21-99 11:50 AM ET (US)     7 / 21  
Haha! I wrote most of that stuff buddy. If people want to read this (the whole thing, not your quick summary) they should just cruise over to www.gamers.com. All kindsa' good stuff there.

But I appreciate you copying all this stuff here It's flattering, to say the least.

Have fun and 'cya on the battlefield!

*thump* *thump*

-ThumP

posted 04-21-99 11:56 AM ET (US)     8 / 21  
C'mon apoc, don't Merlin his work!

-Methos | GX AoE
#1 AoE/RoR Strategy Site

posted 04-21-99 01:27 PM ET (US)     9 / 21  
To be fair Methos, it's not really a Merlin. If I recall correctly (often I don't), Merlin copied the work almost word for word and tried to pass it off as his own. (Or at least didn't credit the authors.) apocalypse clearly stated where he got the information from.

Frankly, if the legal issues can be resolved and if Thump doesn't mind, then I think it would be a good idea to include a "Reader's Digest" version of the guide with a link to Thump's original.

posted 04-21-99 01:53 PM ET (US)     10 / 21  
I agree, by noting the source apoc does fall outta merlinville. He still plagurized, but I'm guessing he didn't know it.

Line by Line Example:

Pass Section: T (thump), A (Apoc)

T: "Passing basically boils down to slamming through the Tool Age as fast as you can; it is a highly offensive strategy. When you use this strategy, little or no thought is usually given to walling or defending."

A: "Passing is jumping through the Tool Age quickly. It's a very offensive strategy, little or no resources are spent on walls or defense in general."

T: "The battle is expected to take place on the enemy's soil"

A: "You want the battle to take place on the enemy's soil."

T: "This is the ultimate Bronze Rush, where you spend no resources on upgrades, extra buildings, Villagers, or units in Tool."

A: "This is the ultimate Bronze rush, where no resources are spent on upgrades, extra builds, vills, or units in Tool."

T: "Generally this is done by Tooling with anywhere from 20-24 Villagers."

A: "Usually, 20-24 vills is an appropriate amount"

T: "The goal is to reach the Tool Age with a barracks completed, about 700 food, and 300 wood. "

A: "The goal is to hit Tool with a finished barracks, about 700 food, and 300 wood. "

I could continue the whole paragraph, or other paragraphs that are nearly the same. Changing a few words here and there is still plagurism, which is a touchy subject when the original author is selling his work (Thump).

posted 04-21-99 02:37 PM ET (US)     11 / 21  
Here's how I would do it: (a sample post):

Never thought of this before...

Wow, I just read an article in the GX forum about tool blitzing. I had heard of this strategy, but didn't know how to do it. Well, after reading the article, I got my chance to try it the next day. I had mega shore fishing right next to a nice forest, so I said what the heck. I made a couple of mistakes, but managed to nearly wipe my opponent off the board in less than 10 minutes! Thanks ThumP!

This way, you're sharing an experience regarding the article (interesting to read), plus generating interest in the site where you got it (good for the author).

Copying and reprinting something that's already on the web, whether verbatim or in paraphrase form, is hardly necessary - that's what hyperlinks are for. Generally, you can relate something you learned about a strat without reposting the strat.

Kurtiebird

Veni Vidi Vici
VVV_Kurtiebird
posted 04-21-99 03:21 PM ET (US)     12 / 21  
WOW ,, I am a fool for leaving out THE NOT in my first cautionary post ! I certainly DON'T support anything resembling plagurism.. neilkaz..
posted 04-21-99 03:47 PM ET (US)     13 / 21  
Actually Methos, it's not plagiarism. To plagiarize something is "to steal and pass of (the ideas or words of another) as one's own" or to "use (a created production) without crediting the source." [Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary c. 1980 G&C Merriam Co.] In Apocalypse's original post, he did not try to pass it off as his own work and he did credit the source.

Apoc gave us a condensed version of Thump's guide. Condensed versions of literature often sound very much like the original (even to the point of copying whole blocks of text) because that's what they are - condensed. Not complete rewrites.

If, as you implied, Thump received compensation for his article, then this whole discussion is moot. GX owns the rights to the article (probably, it depends on the contract) and it cannot be reproduced in the Academy without risking copyright infringment. (Posting his condensed version in the forum, on the other hand, is likely a gray area in copyright laws.) In that case, a hyperlink to the GX site is the best that could be done.

BTW, is there any chance of you GX gurus creating a downloadable version of those strat guides? I suspect not, but it's worth a try...

posted 04-21-99 04:16 PM ET (US)     14 / 21  
Haha, you try what he did in a college level english class and see if the teacher thinks it's plagurism. =)

It's not condensed form. I looked at 3 different paragraphs, and 90% of the words were the same, with the same exact numbers/figures. Did you not read the example I posted?

This is considered paraphrasing, and must be documented exactly the same as direct quoting. For instance,

Thump follows up his description of booming with a description of "passing".

"Passing is jumping through the Tool Age quickly. It's a very offensive strategy, little or no resources are spent on walls or defense in general. You want the battle to take place on the enemy's soil. This is the ultimate Bronze rush, where no resources are spent on upgrades, extra builds, vills, or units in Tool. Usually, 20-24 vills is an appropriate amount. The goal is to hit Tool with a finished barracks, about 700 food, and 300 wood. Use about 7-8 vills to build two Tool buildings needed to go to Bronze. In the meantime, the other 100 food should have been collected. In a perfect Pass, you'll have exactly zero food and zero wood right after you hit the Bronze button. The best Pass strategies have a Bronze in 11 minutes, but a Bronze under 13 minutes is pretty good. You can recognize a Pass strat in Tool when no additional vills are made in Tool, his exploration isn't very high, and he only has 1 technology researched, the technology you get for hitting Tool. The best way to defeat a Pass is one, Tool Rush, or two, wall your production and Boom." (1)

1) Thump, GX AoE. http://gamers.com/aoe/blah.html

Sorry, my documentation methods are equivalent to my grammatical skills, but you get the point.

If he's just paraphrasing exact sections sentence by sentence, adding nothing of his own thoughts, feelings, and suggestions to the guide, then there really isn't any point.

posted 04-21-99 04:21 PM ET (US)     15 / 21  
I say that in the credits of the article, list it like this.

"Sections taken from ThumP's Tool Warfare Guide (make that hyperlinked to his guide) from GX Age of Empires (hyperlinked to their site). To read the full version, check it out at GX Age of Empires (hyperlinked to the main page)."

Just my idea for it, although in my opinion it shouldnt be posted at all in AoEH. If you guys are really dying for a tool rushing guide I guess I could whip something up, without taking any of his stuff.

posted 04-21-99 05:04 PM ET (US)     16 / 21  
No, no, no! =)

If you paraphrase entire sections, then those sections must be specifically noted. Anything less equates to plagurism, whether or not the intent was just.

Here is Methos' Theory of Relativity

Note: sections taken from Einstein

I doubt GX would allow the sentence by sentence paraphrasing of a commerical guide to be posted on another site. =)

-Methos | GX AoE
#1 AoE/RoR Strategy Site

posted 04-21-99 05:47 PM ET (US)     17 / 21  
No, No. No! Methos you are quite wrong.

It is not necessaary to follow good essay writing practice to avoid plagiarism.

Apocalypse identified the source of ALL of the information in his post. This is more than sufficient to defeat any accusation of plagiarism.

Add to that Thump's acceptance of the post and the issue should be dead.

Apocalypse -- I bet you put some time into your post. Oh well, no good deed ever goes unpunished.

------------------
VagrantKnight

posted 04-21-99 06:04 PM ET (US)     18 / 21  
Hi Sting,

As a recent victim of yours at the forum party on Saturday, I really would like to read your guide about tool rushes.

In case you don't remember, it was a random civ, 3v3, cont. Borgboy12, RajunCajunBoy, and myself versus you, Breydel and one other.

Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks

------------------
Turn'em and Burn'em!

posted 04-22-99 00:41 AM ET (US)     19 / 21  
If "condensing" is of and by itself "plagarism", I guess Reader's Digest should have been tar-and-feathered long ago. Certainly the original authors receive no royalties for every issue of the magazine sold. Or at the very most, a very abriged version of the royalty.

Keep your stick on the ice. (Copyright 1994, The Red Green Show, all rights reserved, so there.)

posted 04-22-99 06:15 AM ET (US)     20 / 21  
OMG - It's not condensing, It's paraphrasing. Take for instance the passing section.

This "condensing" was accomplished by rewording each sentence in poor structure. This is pure paraphrasing, and must be handled exactly the same as direct quoting in terms of documentation. This is not disputable, it's fact, and kids have been expelled from my university for doing exactly the same thing. Yes, they gave the original source just like him. I guess it's a zero tolerance policy after rampant cheating using the net...

When,

"Passing basically boils down to slamming through the Tool Age as fast as you can" (14 words)

becomes

"Passing is jumping through the Tool Age quickly. " (8 words)

This is paraphrasing. It's exactly the same as direct quoting. (maybe if I say it enough times, people will understand it. Hey, works in grade school

Obviously since this has only been posted on a forum, and many people *still* don't understand what he did was wrong, I'm sure there aren't any ill feelings towards Apoc. However, if this got placed in the Academy (which I doubt since the Angels wouldn't touch it) with an Ad Banner over it - there would be hell to pay. =)

Thump's

"Passing basically boils down to slamming through the Tool Age as fast as you can; it is a highly offensive strategy. When you use this strategy, little or no thought is usually given to walling or defending. The battle is expected to take place on the enemy's soil. A Pass is what you do during the Tool Age to enable you to get to the Bronze Age quickly. This is the ultimate Bronze Rush, where you spend no resources on upgrades, extra buildings, Villagers, or units in Tool. Generally this is done by Tooling with anywhere from 20-24 Villagers. The goal is to reach the Tool Age with a barracks completed, about 700 food, and 300 wood. Use at least 3-4 Villagers each to build two Tool-Aged buildings simultaneously (archery, stable, or market). While these buildings are being constructed, your remaining villagers should collect the extra 100 food to put you just above 800 food just as your two buildings finish construction. In a perfectly executed Pass strategy, you'll have zero food and zero wood after clicking the "Bronze" upgrade at your TC. The best Pass strategies enable Bronze rushes where people arrive at the Bronze Age in less than 11 minutes. As a general rule of thumb, any Bronze time under about 13 minutes isn't bad, though. You can recognize that your opponent is going for a Pass strategy in Tool when he doesn't make any additional Villagers in the Tool, his exploration isn't very high, and he only has one technology researched (the technology you get for reaching the Tool Age). If you research "The Wall", for example, and you have more technologies than your enemy does, odds are he's going straight for Bronze. The best way to defeat someone who is using the Pass strategy to Bronze Rush is to either 1) Tool Rush or 2) wall your production and Boom. "

Apoc's:

"Passing is jumping through the Tool Age quickly. It's a very offensive strategy, little or no resources are spent on walls or defense in general. You want the battle to take place on the enemy's soil. This is the ultimate Bronze rush, where no resources are spent on upgrades, extra builds, vills, or units in Tool. Usually, 20-24 vills is an appropriate amount. The goal is to hit Tool with a finished barracks, about 700 food, and 300 wood. Use about 7-8 vills to build two Tool buildings needed to go to Bronze. In the meantime, the other 100 food should have been collected. In a perfect Pass, you'll have exactly zero food and zero wood right after you hit the Bronze button. The best Pass strategies have a Bronze in 11 minutes, but a Bronze under 13 minutes is pretty good.
You can recognize a Pass strat in Tool when no additional vills are made in Tool, his exploration isn't very high, and he only has 1 technology researched, the technology you get for hitting Tool. The best way to defeat a Pass is one, Tool Rush, or two, wall your production and Boom. "

[This message has been edited by Methos (edited 04-22-99).]

posted 04-22-99 01:01 PM ET (US)     21 / 21  
Holy cow! This has received a heck of a lot of attention. Next thing you know I'll be famous

Paraphrasing, quoting, plagiarizing, whatever. It doesn't really bother me that much. I gotta' back Methos up though--his argument certainly makes sense.

In any case, I hold no grudge against apoc. Again, I think it's flattering that he'd spend the time to try to condense it. Essentially it looks to me like what he did was take out a lot of the basic "extra words" I used. See, I assumed the reader wouldn't have much AoE experience. So where I say "arrive at the Tool Age", apoc says "Tooled". I figured it doesn't hurt to add the words--that way anyone reading will understand (and not just the experienced players). Plus, I get paid by the word :P

Now when we get down to copyright infringement, etc... I'm not sure where GX would stand on that. I can bet that they wouldn't be too happy about posting this stuff in the Academy, though. Do I care? Heck no! Like I said, it's making me famous, LOL. But now that GX has paid me for it they obviously have a lot of say in the matter.

Have fun and 'cya on the battlefield!

*thump* *thump*

-ThumP

Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome » Tool Warfare
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames