You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: That difficult compie or CA decision (long and analytical)
posted 06-17-99 04:58 PM ET (US)   
Here is something I wrote up for DaRq today and I hope you will give me some feedback on it.

This is one of the most difficult decisions in the game and a very important one. There is an interesting thread at stooges.org about this too and I need to put a post there to continue to get their valuable feedback.

Anyhow Phoe, Shang, Palmy, Bab and Egypt all get comps and CA's. Let's look at the relevent economic and military factors for the civs involved.

CA

Cost 40 food 70 wood
Build time 40 sec
AP 4
ROF 1.5 shots per sec
HP 70 (upgradable to 80 w/Nobility which is needed anyway for Scythe and improves all mounted units) and with Egypt's being 93 and 106 respectively
Range 7
Speed 2.0 tiles per sec
Requirement Wheel takes 75 sec and is a must anyways costing 175F 75W but that isn't a factor since you need
it for economic reasons anyway.

Compies

Cost 40 food 20 gold
Build time 30 sec
AP 5
ROF 1.4 shots per sec
HP 45
Range 7
Speed 1.2 tiles per sec
Requirement(s) (1) Imp Bowmen costs 140F 80W and takes 60 sec and allows the creation of the compie's little
brother, the greatly underated impie which has 4 AP, 40 HP and 6 range.(2) Comp Bowmen costs 180F 100W and takes 100 sec. The two upgrades together cost 320F 180W and
require 160 sec to complete.

Lets look at what happens in a 1v1 battle between a basic early bronze compie and CA. The greater HP of the CA will outweigh the superior fire power of the compie given that both have the same range.

Assuming that both start to shoot at the same time the CA will kill the compie with 12 shots (48 AP (3 wasted)) in 18 sec. In 18.2 sec the compie will have fired 13 times (assuming a few tenths of a sec travel time for that last fatal arrow) and the CA will receive 65 HP of damage and thus remain alive w/5 HP left. If the CA are Assy (1.1 ROF) or Hitt (5 AP) or Egyptian (93 HP) they easily beat the compie. Nobility (not cheap at 175F,120G) also allows the CA to clearly defeat the compie. If we assume that Mino's +2 compie range allows it to get one extra shot off while a basic CA approaches the result will be a draw as the compies 14th arrow will be fatal to the CA.

Since CA move much faster than compies 2.0 vs 1.2 and can outrun wheeled fleeing vils and dodge flying rocks easier we clearly prefer to have 1 CA to 1 compie.Why make compies at all when we can make CA ? Well compies cost 60 total res vs 110 res for CA. However, that cost savings is only achieved after you spend 500 res on the upgrades for comps.

10 comps cost 600 res to make plus 500 in upgrades for a total cost of 1100 res. 10 CA also cost 1100 res (ignoring wheel and nobility which you must get anyhow for economy and for scythes/other mounted units). 10 basic CA when I test in the SB defeat 10 compies. I place them all clearly in range and wall the CA tightly in so they can't waste time moving around and simply let everthing autofire. The CA always won by a little or a lot. 10 CA in someone's undefended town will kill alot more vils than 10 comps will because the vils escape the comps much easier. I'd still rather have 10 CA than 10 compies.

The resources to make 10 compies are 720 food 180 wood and 200 gold. While the resources to make 10 CA are 400 food and 700 wood. The approximate "effective" gathering times for the resources in mid bronze are Food .40 at best
(unless Palmy), wood .6x (Phoe/Palmy .7x) walking and tree chop times really slow down the higher baseline rates, and gold about .7 (.75 w/goldmining upgrade reduced by a bit of walking for some vils) Thus, since the 10 compies require more food to make , they required more gathering time to produce. I'd prefer 10 CA to 10 compies any day.

Clearly, once we consider larger bronze armies compies become MUCH more cost effective. 20 compies cost 1700 res while 20 CA cost 2200 res. Note that for 1700 res you can build about 15 1/2 CA and for 2200 res you get 28 1/3 compies. Once you start making these large scale armies the compies become VERY cost effective. I ran a few battles with 12 comps (1220 cost) vs 11 CA (1210 cost) and it is unclear who wins. I'd still prefer 11 CA to 12 comps in most game situations due to their mobility. However, once you start talking about 28 comps or 20 CA it becomes much less clear which you prefer. 28 comps will easily defeat 20 CA. The massed fire power of even 20 comps makes it quite difficult for even a decent sized horde of cav to approach without all getting gunned down before doing much damage.

FIRE POWER AND MASSED FIRE POWER

Fire power is a units AP divided by its ROF. Fire power is simply a measure of how much damage a unit can dish out per sec.

The fire power of a normal CA is 4/1.5 = 2.67 AP/sec

The fire power of a normal compie is 5/1.4 = 3.57 AP/sec

Compies thus dish out 34% more damage per sec than do normal CA's. This advantage in fire power is very significant as long as the compies can stay alive. It is alot harder to charge into 20 compies than 20 CA with a herd of cavs. The cavs will kill the compies easier if they ever come into contact with them however that isn't so easy to do. This is a benefit of MASSED FIRE POWER which occurs when you reach a critical mass of ranged units. It then becomes next to impossible to charge into the ranged units and the only way to defeat them is to hit them with your own ranged units. Try charging into 25 heles sometime to really see this effect.

Compies are a great defensive unit due to their firepower. They will gun down units attacking your workers faster than CA will. Compies can also be replaced in 30 sec vs 40 sec to replace a CA. This quicker reinforcement factor can be vital when your town is
invaded. CA's are clearly superior offensive units due to their speed. They can raid one town and then hit another or return to your town to defend. Reinforcements can be run to the front quickly from ranges near home. Offensive use of compies requires either more forward building or building a large horde near home and then walking them to the front.

Thus, IMO, compies are a superior defensive unit in bronze and CA are a superior offensive bronze unit. When do we play offensive or defensive in the bronze age with these civs? Since I am often Phoe and successful in completing a nice 14 min boom bronze I am often ahead of an adjacent and vulnerable enemy. If either my forward builders(if I used them) or my scout (always make a scout FAST) see vulnerability (ie he is wide open and NOT walled) I will want to rush him. My scout will hopefully make sure no wall goes up and may be accompanied by another or two during my bronze transition. Once bronzed I want a couple of cav/mels to hit my enemy and then follow up w/CA to hopefully finish him and shoot up his fleeing terrorized peons. In this case waiting to make compies would seriously reduce and postpone what could be a winning rush. Since I was faster to bronze than him and am now attacking him, hopefully my fishing fleet is not under a severe attack. I can hopefully, in spite of spending all that wood on CA's have a galley or two slip down the coast and sink his fishing, once his wood chopping operation is destroyed. SO, IF I AM FAST ENOUGH TO RUSH SOMEONE POWERFULLY, I WILL USE CA'S AND FORGET COMPIES, NORMALLY.

Conversely, lets say I still am Phoe but my start went poorly. (Lost 1 to lions quickly, slow poor berries, bad wood..etc) I do the same boom bronze in 16 and my spot is wide open. Clearly if it hasn't happened yet, I will soon be attacked on land and sea. Assuming there still are some fish around I won't want to lose the sea. If I can survive for just a few more minutes I may have a huge and hopefully overpowering economy. Maybe I walled some choke points but I still have a large vulnerable area which would require "The Great Wall of China" to make me secure. By the time it is built something may have trannied in or knocked it down. I am slow and vulnerable and need powerful defences quickly. In this case I may have made some bowmen and slingers at home during my bronze transition, however I need more than that. Compies now make perfect sence as I won't be rushing anyone in a good game with my 16 min bronze. Rather than spend wood on CA's I use the wood for a workshop or two and some ST as well as a decent fleet for defence and to eventually wipe out an enemies coast. As wood continues to pour in I start farming to further increase my food intake for that food intensive compie horde. Assuming I survive, my plan is to create the "unstopable" late bronze attack of several ST guarded by many compies. This can take down walls and someones town very quickly. The compies prevent any but the largest hordes of bronze units from approaching and killing either ST or compies. The enemy can fight it with a large ammount of ST but they need guard too since I will have a couple of charge units on hand also. This attack is not an attempt to win quickly during minute 17 in early bronze. It is an attempt to build defensively to survive powerful bronze attacks and then win in the early to mid 20's with enough force that even an iron-jumped enemy has trouble stopping. THUS IF I EXPECT TO HAVE TO CREATE A LARGE DEFENSIVE BRONZE ARMY I WILL PROBABLY GO WITH MANY COMPIES.

A few more points.

CA's cost tons of wood. If you are making CA's, ST's, and
a navy you better have MANY upgraded wood choppers working safely.

Comp's cost 320 extra food to start producing. You need to CLEARLY make more than 10 of them for the upgrades to make any sence. Honestly, it makes NO sence to me unless you will make at least 15 and more likely in excess of 20 compies over the course of the game. It is quite difficult to iron reasonably quickly while spending the food to make 20 compies. However, in good game you will need a bronze army and you will need to do something offensive with it or you just might find out you are ironed with 2 dead allies.

Since comp hordes require lots of food use some of that saved wood to make farms and better yet make new TC's on any berry patches you find to continue booming. The saved wood is idle for a couple of ST.

CA require 2 ST shots to kill and can often avoid flying rocks better than compies do to their speed. Egypt must get Nobility quickly for its CA which will now survive 2 shots from a ST and be even harder to kill by all units.

Compies die from 1 ST rock and compies get splattered by the wide area damage of cats in iron.

The availabilty of wood or gold can affect your decision too. Once with Egypt I had such poor access to wood that I went with compies supported by chariots rather than CA/chariots. Other times I have had poor access to gold as Phoe and any thought of producing compies was left for another game.

CA work well with other mounted units because of their speed. Never forget that even when you are going heavy with archery range units you should NOT let your stable sit idle. Make something from it to help out at all times.

Compies work well with slower units like ST and infantry. The "poor man's cheap unit flood" of compies/broadswords is a fun tactic of mine when I have a large boom raking in the food. Adding a couple of chariots helps deal with ST and if the enemy is walled up my own ST break walls faster than broads do. The "unit flood" requires tons of food so you need to use that saved wood for many farms and make sure you have a large navy(probably for offense as well) and make sure you build new docks close to new fishing areas. The compies provide great support for the broads and visa versa. The broads intercept charge units while the compies pin cushion them with arrows. The broads charge enemy archers which then have a choice to be sliced by broadswords or kill with arrows.

Compies provided the ultimate back up for the "unstopable" late bronze attack of several ST guarded by 20 compies.

Impies are underated. 4AP 40 HP and 6 range is not bad. Consider that the person using impies saved 280 resources because he couldn't/didn't upgrade to compies. I was badly hurt by a late bronze Roman attack of ST guarded by impies and my few camels could not get near them. I have used impies/rax as Rome very effectively in bronze. The rax dice up buildings quickly and a couple can be left behind to clean up a town since they need no guard like ST's. Minoan impies have saved me from CA raids twice while I was upgrading to compies.

Just a few thoughts on this interesting subject. Just remember that CA's are fast raiding units and devestating if they aren't stopped by walls. Make CA when you can attack vils with them quickly. Compies are better on defence and for guarding ST. When you enemy is safely walled and you can't attack until later in bronze, make compies and get a nice group of ST ready. However, never forget what you can do with 5 surprise CA's trannied into his town.

Before I joined DaRq I simply chose CA's about 95% of the time over compies. I couldn't understand why you'd make a slower and slightly weaker unit. I hated spending 500 on upgrades for something of dubious value (even Minoan) in iron. Only 5% of the time would I make compies unless I was Minoan.

Now my current opinions are:

Shang and Phoe: Rush civs and if the rush looks feasable I make CA's. Once in a while I may make compies if my rush is repulsed or he escaped behind walls. I'd say I tend to make compies maybe 35% of the time with these civs.

Egypt:CA's are simply too tough and I make compies only 5% of the time.Tough chariots go nicely along with tough CA.

Palmy: depends on how fast I was able to bronze and whether I am able to rush. CA's support a camel rush nicely and it is hard to find the 320 food for upgrades and camels and more vils as Palmy. Still I am often forced to play defensively as bad maps make Palmy SLOW. I'd say again 35% of the time I go compies here.

Bab: a slow civ like Egypt and one with great towers to
aid a defensive game while slowly creeping in on the enemy. This would favor compies except for 3 things. 1) I am not often that slow to bronze with slow civs so I have rush opportunites. 2) People wall SO POORLY that even late CA hordes kill them 3) In spite of Bab towers and stone mining you can't afford to play semi-sim tower city in bronze in your allies are under attack. I'd say I go compies 50% with Bab.

There you have it. I am more likely to use CA because I am more of a rusher and raider than a defensive player. I prefer to use some walls to keep enemy units away from my vils rather than have compies sitting around. My style in 3v3's with most civs is to try to win in bronze. This means either quick rushes or very powerful late bronze attacks on possibly ironed enemies. When the attack comes in later bronze I will likely have many compies....

.... neilkaz....

Replies:
posted 06-17-99 09:43 PM ET (US)     1 / 12  
I have not yet finished digesting this all yet, but count on a few comments or questions by this time tomorrow. Very well done, and it looks like you hit all the bases. Great job!

I have oft wondered about the relative benefits of Compies vs CA. Quite some time ago, I prepared a comparison of villager time required to produce each, but I failed to take the next step, to compare the attack potential of each civ versus the cost. I have made the assumption that you are farming, or worse yet, still boat fishing, and that you have made an attempt to keep your average woodchopping efficiency at least 70%. [Whoops. In reviewing my notes, I assumed that you were 90% efficient, roughly the average efficiency you would get assuming you were chopping from your newly-founded TCs and represents that for the first 5 minutes or so, there is up to a 3 tile walk, i.e., you are chopping till your trees are 4 tiles away, and if I am reading my notes right, this is approx. 6 minutes work for 12 woodchoppers. Back to your regularly scheduled program.] Taking the relevant numbers, we have

Villager Seconds Assuming All Bronze Upgrades
CivCompieCAPremium
Phoe12716127
Palmy11015036
Shang/Bab12717336
Egypt12117343

In all cases, it is apparent that you pay approximately a 40% premium to get a unit with approximately 75% of the firepower, but 75% faster. However, I did not factor in the cost of the Impie or Compie upgrade, so that further skews the figures in favor of CA. With Phoe, CA becomes almost a no brainer, and if not for the 33% HP, Egypt would be a compie civ. Of course, all this is dependant on not running into the pop limit by the time you have produced all the units you care to.

[One additional point. CAs become more valuable as base defenders as your base expands if you do not wall. It seems that more and more people are not walling, counting on enough residual tool and early bronze troops to keep their fat out of the fire, and if those people are spread thinly, hit and run CA raids are deadly, because by the time the units are able to run to the other production center, that raid is over and the raid on another has begun.]

I've got more to say on this subject, but I want to sleep on the neilkaz's ideas, and see how they relate to my own, and maybe by this time tomorrow, I will have something intelligent to say.

[Gotta hand it to you, APC_Doink. You are a much quicker study than I am. I still don't think I have assimilated everything there, and I've had all night to sleep on it...]

Keep your stick on the ice

[This message has been edited by Thorfinn (edited 06-18-99).]

posted 06-17-99 10:44 PM ET (US)     2 / 12  
Wow Neil, I think you hit the nail on the head with this one. Took me about 15 minutes to read it and comprehend it, but it was well worth it. I would like to critize (sp.) this just to add another point, but I really can't find anything wrong with this. Good job.
posted 06-18-99 10:49 AM ET (US)     3 / 12  
Awesome work, Neil. I agree that CA's are usually better in most circumstances, but I play compies for the pure fun of it. I do so love watching 20 minoan compies killing everything thrown at me...sumerian st's, mace hoppers, whatever.

And I do agree with you that imps are so under rated. I actually won an important game using Carth imps, and I couldn't begin to count the times that I had a few imps around as minoa to stop a nasty CA raid.

posted 06-18-99 10:53 AM ET (US)     4 / 12  
Wow, its nice to see someone else read it.
posted 06-18-99 11:40 AM ET (US)     5 / 12  
Something I just thought about is this:

You have two archery ranges, A and B

A is building a chariot archer
B is building a composite bowman

Both are started at the same time and have all upgrades needed.

In 30 seconds, the composite bowman will be done, and he takes off as soon as he is done. By the time the chariot archer is done, the compy will be 12 tiles away. If we give the units another ten seconds, the compy will be 24 tiles away, but the chariot archer will be 20 tiles from the archery ranges. Therefore, it will take the chariot archer 15 seconds to catch up to the compy. If you have forward builded and are at the outskirts of the enemy town, compys may be better offensively.

posted 06-18-99 12:58 PM ET (US)     6 / 12  
Excellent post neilkaz. I would have to agree that in a lot of situations an early rush with ca will be much more effective because you can make sure you kill your enemy's villagers. One thing that has worked for me with phoen has been to forward build most of my buildings, especially a bunch of archery ranges, but always make sure to build one or two by my town. If a rush looks promising, then I will concentrate getting ca at my forward archeries, and use the archery at home to procede with the comp upgrades. Once done with comp upgrades, a smaller force(10-15) is produced and split to cover food/wood/gold guys(If you wall well, you may only need a small group to hang out in the middle of town, ready to go where needed). This leaves a respectable base defense while I fight out of my forward bases. If enemy forces get into my town, they will have a solid resistance before they can go after my vills, which I can run away until all is well again or my forward chariots can come home to save the day. After that, you can choose which units to flood with from the forward bases as needed. This is obviously a lot easier to do with phoen because you have so much wood coming in it is easy to build a bunch of archeries, hit the imp and comp upgrades, and still get ca out.

In all though, I would have to agree that of the two, the ca is best for the "raid" type of playing(early bronze), while the comps are better massed and with a few st for "town demolition"(late bronze).

On a side note, what is your strategy/strategies for phoen in iron? I have stopped playing phoen as much because of their lack of iron punch. I know they get eles, arm eles, archer eles, and scythes, but ballista/hele will shred any of those and the scythes, while acceptable, are still kinda weak without the last armor and attack upgrades. Do you use priests with phoen?

Just correcting my spelling with changes
------------------
"I like a man who grins when he fights."
Winston Churchill

[This message has been edited by Wicked_Spirit (edited 06-18-99).]

posted 06-18-99 07:41 PM ET (US)     7 / 12  
Excellent stuff, neil! Lots of meat to digest, especially for a Phoe player like myself. Only recently did I even begin to use compies AT ALL, and they are still rarely part of my offensive strategy (if you haven't guessed, I rarely play Minoa! )

It was actually in a 2v2 random civ game against Pendragon & Kurtiebird, in which I was given Yam, that I first used Compies as the bulk of my forces, since it was clearly going to be a protracted Bronze war. They were amazingly effective at keeping Pen's Shang (!!) camels out of my forward areas, and even though my partner Red_Karen (also Yam) & I lost after the game went Iron (and Kurtie's Carth elephants stormed on through).

The most recent demonstration of when comps have their uses over CA's came in a 3v3 about a week ago where Sting, DiscipleJim & I went up against FWH_Wolfpack, Hemlock, and Bearded_Tim. Wolf's Mace hoppers & comps were tearing up DisJim's town, and my Phoe bronze troops (CA's, stonies, camels, priests) were woefully ineffective. The same resources channeled into compies, hops, and stonies would almost certainly been MUCH more effective (though victory was eventually gained by sheer numbers, since Wolfpack had very little wood, and couldn't continue to press the issue).

Still, your post underscored why I will still prefer CA's over compies in nearly all situations - speed, and utility. CA's are very effective in small numbers, with their hit & run raids. They have enough hit points to survive many forms of retaliatin, and can be thus be healed (yes, I do create a few priests in bronze - I know many folks do not, and if I were a civ w/ *****priests, I wouldn't, either!)

Comps are almost wholly ineffective in groups fewer than 15, since by the time they are assembled, medium to large sized armies will already roam the land. But to invest heavily in a dead-end technology... well, unless the map is wood-poor, I rarely find it a worthwhile proposition.

posted 06-19-99 05:02 PM ET (US)     8 / 12  
Recently I got Persia in a RM random civs game, and I was thinking "What the **** do I do with these guys in bronze!?" Fortunatley (sp), I just started keeping the manual ready, for random civs game, and I saw that they got compies. I had a GREAT game going, with 3 docks up and pumping FB and about 45-50 vills (w/FB) and about a 15:30 bronze (I forgot, I had LARGE amounts of game nearby). Man, I had about 25 compies and several cavs followed by a few ST in his town around 19:00. He was a decent intermediate, being in bronze around 16 with a decent boom (30 or so), but my compies absolutely devestated him. I usually play Minoan, so I thought that only their compies were effective, but man, I was soooooooooo wrong.

Very nice post neil, keep it up!

posted 06-19-99 07:03 PM ET (US)     9 / 12  
to think about it...
there is alot more wood avaliable than gold
every iron age unit needs gold to be produced
almost every technology bronze and up takes gold
and there is plenty of wood to go around
in a average game, one can probably collect on more than 5000 gold
while he or she can collect more than 15000 wood
since wood is more abundant...
it is concidered less valuable
so most players, including me, tend to go with CA's
so they can get more super units in iron
or more siege wepons
but over all it all depends on what u want
and how long the game is to last
and which age most of the fighting is going to be in

well that is enough said fo nah

------------------

SINGH23.com

da only sikh tru to da game, AOE fo life

yea, an u know dis

posted 06-19-99 10:08 PM ET (US)     10 / 12  
cool post,yet another thing that will help me become better ...ya i find it hard to keep up with navy when using tons of CAs thus I end up losing the seas arrhh.

cool the forum auto edits those s

[This message has been edited by The Mouse (edited 06-19-99).]

posted 06-21-99 02:36 PM ET (US)     11 / 12  
Here is what experience (and I mean BOTh sides of it - winning and losing) has taught me:

BATTLING IT OUT

* Minoan Compies kill more.

Much more. Minoan Compies kill CA like flies. The best CA (Egyptian with Nobility) have a chance, occasionally, but that's all.

Condition: You MUST (no exceptions!) have at least 20 Compies going and replanish immediatelly when down to 15.
Critical Mass here is...er, critical.

* Other Compies are not bad, but GOOD CA are better investment.

By "Good" CA I mean:
Egyptian, Hitite, Assyrian.
The others, if they have Nobility.

* The REAL decision in archer battles is: WHO HAS THE MOST ST ?...

Stone Throwers are the ideal complement to archers, foot or mounted (Catapults in Iron, of course...).

The rule of thumb is: per each enemy 3-4 archers, you should have 1 ST, in addition to your archers.
If Hittite or Sumerian ST, then allow one more archer per enemy contingent.
Of course, if enemy has ST also... issue is a lot complicated. Make MORE ST than him, this will give you the lead. If you can slip Cavalry, Chariot or Camel past their archers to kill his ST, that will be highly beneficial.

The economic equation: again the combat tactic$

I think that you make the unit that you can make with the economy that you have.
Why make CA if you are having wood problems?... Go Compies, make ST with the wood you WOULD have used on CA and you will be in Iron by the time you get more wood, so CA will be less important...
If you are swimming in wood, then why not favour CA?...
Even playing against a Minoan Compy Horde, you CAN get away with CA - hust make ENOUGH ST, remember to use the wood and the gold on ST, they fight lots better against archers of any kind.
While they are dodging and stopping to fire at your ST, you pick them with your own archers...

In the end, it all boils down to:

"With what I have, I want to dish out the more damage per unit that I can.
Question 1: WHICH unit combination is in my reach? (It is useless to plan to go for what you cannot buy...)
Question 2: What is the opponent using?
If he is using archers only, or archers + ST, then I must use archers and MORE ST.
If he is using hand-to-hand combat units + archers, then I can choose between a similar combination - or - a big enough force of archers (+ ST or not) to reach the needed critical mass. Example: If I have Compies and he is using CA + Chariots (frequent among the Egyptian), then I can just make enough cheapo Compies and wipe his party out of the map
Traditionally, you will be facing a party of archers or archers+ST. Only solution here is outnumber him with same combo...

The time and opportunity versus effects: CA come ahead statistically, but...

... Compies, when emerging from 4 forward-built archery ranges and with good company (a few ST, coming from a nearby Workshop...), are much more destructive.

On the other hand, when you attack with CA, you normally kill more peons and you hunt the fleeing parties a lot better. While you mostly have to leave the town intact, the Compies are usually accompanied by ST and these tend to cause "permanent" damage, i.e., high cost of rebuild.

Conclusion

CA are most of the times in the heart of a game's decision for one or more of the unfortunate players receiving their visit... they have the nasty habit of arriving before you are ready.

Score one for CA.

Stone throwers cause an Archer invasion / defense to be MUCH more effective / destructive.
No good Archer party can really expect to do permanent damage without the help of ST.
No one lacking ST can resist a combined Archer + ST assault / defense using just archers.

Score two points for the party with the ST company... if the other party has none. One point if he just has more ST.

Finally, Compies (with ST) have more chances of overruning two shops with very decisive results. I have done it and seen it done often: a party of Minoan Compies + ST killing one town and then proceeding to the next. When they get there, the opponent is Iron, but no avail: Cats in small numbers (especially before the Engineering upgrade) die to Minoan ST + Composites. One reason: Rate of fire!...

Score one for the Compies...

Epilogue:

Which resources do you have?... There's no choice without the proper resources....
If you can afford a choice, choose what you think will bring more damage to your foe...

posted 09-22-00 05:19 PM ET (US)     12 / 12  

Free Puzzle Games

UrMud - online community in an ancient history world
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome » That difficult compie or CA decision (long and analytical)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames