Please login or register

AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Game quits when I load a save
posted 05-31-04 03:59 AM ET (US)   
Argh, strange problem I have here. I was playing the Rise of Rome Expansion1 campaign, the Pyrrhus of Epirus scenario just now. I saved the game before testing some bold maneuvre (which didn't work out right). So, I loaded the save to get back to the game. However, the game simply quit whenever I load that saved game.

I've tried with a few older saves but they loaded fine. I don't want to start again. Is this a known problem? I've had that happen on my old PC once before, but I thought it was probably just a corrupted game file, so I didn't take much notice of it then.

D XUAN
Replies:
posted 05-31-04 09:21 AM ET (US)     1 / 18  
I've got the same problem too. It's a bug with the Patch 1.0a. I'm sorry for you, but you must restart the mission.

Here we are
here we are and here we go
all aboard
and we're hittin' the road
here we go rockin' all over the world!...
posted 05-31-04 11:01 AM ET (US)     2 / 18  
That's right - that problem is as old as the hills.
posted 05-31-04 11:38 AM ET (US)     3 / 18  
But I have the game patched with 1.0c.

Anyway, doesn't that make saving games rather pointless?... I'll have to make two different saves everytime if I really want to make sure that I can load them again.

D XUAN
posted 05-31-04 01:11 PM ET (US)     4 / 18  
@Duan Xuan
The AOE 1.0c patch is the same as the ROR 1.0a patch.
The only thing you can do is to save your savegames in the future under different filenames or reinstall the game with the 1.0b patch.

Here we are
here we are and here we go
all aboard
and we're hittin' the road
here we go rockin' all over the world!...
posted 05-31-04 07:46 PM ET (US)     5 / 18  
DX - I usually make three saves (eg. Save1, Save2, Save3). However, I've had all three not work - you just can't win, I'm afraid

DR LORENZO
AoEH | Woad Creations Alumni
I of course meant bastard in a positive way! - Kor
I just sort of chop away at it when it gets long enough. The ladies love it. - Obese, on shaving
Lorenzo is kind of like that relative everyone knows about but won't talk about. - Crimson Knight
We already knew about the mass murders and gang rapes and ethnic cleansings, but now they've resorted to ENCRYPTING PEOPLES ELECTRONIC DOCUMENTS! - drahnier
posted 05-31-04 09:35 PM ET (US)     6 / 18  
Mmm... never mind then. I don't really play the campaigns much and I don't make many saves either. The problem shouldn't happen too often for me. Thanks anyway to all for your help.

D XUAN
posted 06-04-04 03:06 PM ET (US)     7 / 18  
It's also happened to me. You just have to regroup and start again.

Czech Centurian
"Most Checks are written, I'm a Czech that was born."

Save Water, Drink Beer

posted 06-05-04 09:14 AM ET (US)     8 / 18  
Yep, I've decided to make 2 saves each time in the future.

D XUAN
posted 06-05-04 10:39 AM ET (US)     9 / 18  
There is an easier way, as Peter found IIRC. It means installing again but;

Install the game. Make a copy of the exe to somewhere safe and rename it, e.g. aoenopatch.exe. Same for RoR.

Ok, Now patch them, and copy the renamed original exes back. Then make two sets of shortcuts, one for the patched exes for zone play and one for the unpatched exes for scenario play.

My Karma ran over my Dogma

AoEH | EEH | RoNH | IndividualsCAN

posted 06-05-04 11:19 AM ET (US)     10 / 18  
Uh, that sounds very complicated to me. I don't quite get it, especially the part on shortcuts. So, what exactly causes the problem? Why is it that renaming the files will solve it? *scratches head*

D XUAN
posted 06-05-04 12:44 PM ET (US)     11 / 18  
Step by step, ok?

Copy your savegame folder to somewhere safe. Don't tell me I need to explain how to do this

Uninstall both games.

Reinstall both games and copy the save game folder back. Your savegames are back again.

Before patching either of them, look for the exes that run AoE and RoR. They are Empires.exe and EmpiresX.exe respectively. Make copies to somewhere safe, and rename them. I suggested aoenopatch etc but it doesn't matter as long as they have different names to the originals. Then copy them back.

You now have 4 exes in the AoE folder, the two originals and the two copies that have been renamed.

Now run the patch. It will update the originals. Shortcuts will automatically point to these, so that is why I said make new ones to point to the renamed exes, the unpatched ones. That way you can launch the games patched or unpatched, depending on whether you want to play a scenario or play online.

posted 06-05-04 08:24 PM ET (US)     12 / 18  
*reinstalls*

DR LORENZO
AoEH | Woad Creations Alumni
I of course meant bastard in a positive way! - Kor
I just sort of chop away at it when it gets long enough. The ladies love it. - Obese, on shaving
Lorenzo is kind of like that relative everyone knows about but won't talk about. - Crimson Knight
We already knew about the mass murders and gang rapes and ethnic cleansings, but now they've resorted to ENCRYPTING PEOPLES ELECTRONIC DOCUMENTS! - drahnier
posted 06-05-04 10:38 PM ET (US)     13 / 18  
Ok, I get it now. Thanks Phill. I'll give it a try.

D XUAN
posted 06-05-04 10:53 PM ET (US)     14 / 18  
It is a pain but hey, aoe takes all of 5 minutes to uninstall and reinstall

posted 06-06-04 04:32 PM ET (US)     15 / 18  
I had extensively tested this problem before and I know when to save, save when there's no fighting going on, actually, there could be swordmen fighting but make sure there's no archers or baliistica firing -- it's that animation effects which creates the bug.
posted 06-07-04 02:05 AM ET (US)     16 / 18  
Mmm, that's interesting... Thanks for the info.

D XUAN
posted 05-29-05 11:41 AM ET (US)     17 / 18  
Actually you don't need to unsinstall and re-install, because the original Empires.exe and Empiresx.exe are on the CD. You can simply rename the patched exes and then copy the original exes from the CD to the aoe folder.
posted 06-05-05 05:09 AM ET (US)     18 / 18  
Come on guys, this is in the FAQ!

When an arrow or any other projectile is in motion, your save will often crash. Don't save while arrows, catapult stones etc are in motion, the game can't handle the object.

Knowing this helps heaps, I've had endless problems with it. It still happens from time to time, but you get used to making many saves anyway, there are other problems besides the projectiles, like finding out you did something that will make it really hard or impossible to win. I usually type out the scenario name, then type a,b,c... after and add a letter each time a log a new save. That way if there are any problems, I can just go back as far as needed. Then I just delete them all when I'm done.

Edit: Ah, it seems you know of this bug Duan, as I thought you would. It's probably another civ using projectiles/missiles off screen then.

I had a funny load of an EE save today, two of my planes were on the ground in Mechstra's Acres High Acres Low.

Richard Wilde
rswilde01(at)gmail(dot)com
Skype - Gmail - Firefox
Wikipedia
Review Thread - AoKH - GenieWiki

[This message has been edited by Richard Ames (edited 06-05-2005 @ 05:14 AM).]

Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome » Game quits when I load a save
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames