Please login or register

AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Question about the Gold Edition
posted 08-15-06 11:19 AM ET (US)   
Hi, I'm new to these forums, but a long time player of Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings. I recently played the demo of the original Age of Empires, and although the sequel is clearly advanced in terms of gameplay options, I found the original to be quite entertaining and more to my liking as I am more fond of the ancient period than the medieval period.

I plan on buying the game from Amazon or Ebay, but would like to know about the Gold Edition. Does the Gold Edition come with both the original Age of Empires game and the Rise of Rome expansion on separate CD's or are they both on the same CD?

If they are both on the same CD, can I just choose to install the original game without the expansion at first?

Thanks in advance.

Replies:
posted 08-15-06 11:27 AM ET (US)     1 / 10  
Welcome to the Forums.

They are both on the same CD. When you start it up, you can go into your Programs menu and choose the one you want to play.

They install both as standard I think.

Hope these pointers help.

A L A K A Z A M
posted 08-15-06 11:32 AM ET (US)     2 / 10  
Thanks for the prompt reply.
posted 08-15-06 01:06 PM ET (US)     3 / 10  
In audio format both games' music couldn't fit on one CD, so how is that arranged?
posted 08-15-06 01:10 PM ET (US)     4 / 10  
You don't get any CD Audio. You instead only have the MIDI to listen to.
posted 08-15-06 01:58 PM ET (US)     5 / 10  
Really? Boy, I'm glad I bought the full version of both games.
posted 08-15-06 03:22 PM ET (US)     6 / 10  
I had the original Age of Empires game pack then I bought the Gold Edition (many years later) so I could get Rise of Rome game. To be honest I haven't noticed the music difference so it's been no problem to me.

Care to tell me the difference between CD and MIDI please?
(I'm not the authority on this subject )

A L A K A Z A M
posted 08-15-06 06:14 PM ET (US)     7 / 10  

Quote:

Care to tell me the difference between CD and MIDI please?

Huge difference, at least for AoE. The CD musics provide much more atmosphere since you can hear many cool effects, like chorus and echoes. Some tracks are enhanced version of the MIDI, while others are totally different musics. I have the original AoE and the Gold Edition, so I don't know if the original RoR came with CD music too.

posted 08-15-06 06:31 PM ET (US)     8 / 10  
CD Audio sounds a heck of a lot better than MIDI, at least to someone like me. Where something like music can make alot of difference.

And also RoR has 13 CD tracks.

posted 08-15-06 06:39 PM ET (US)     9 / 10  
RoR did come with CD tracks, but the best one is not played in single player mode. So sad. The AoE music is much better. The RoR soundtrack is noisy and boring.
posted 08-16-06 01:57 AM ET (US)     10 / 10  

Quoted from Reenk Roink:

If they are both on the same CD, can I just choose to install the original game without the expansion at first?

It's been so long since I installed this (gold), but I think you can't install seperately. The best option is to test it, and uninstall if you don't like what you see.

Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome » Question about the Gold Edition
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames