Please login or register

AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Finally!!! Solution to widescreen problems
posted 04-07-09 03:16 AM ET (US)   
YAY!!!! I found a solution that allows AoE to not take up the entire screen!!! Which is good because now it isn't stretched over my entire screen.

A friend told me the solution a while back but I only recently remembered. I have an ATI video card so hence I use the associated ATI software which is known as "Catalyst Control Centre" (CCC). nVIDIA video cards would also have a similar program where the settings can be accessed.

Basically, under the screen preferences there is a setting/option to "enable GPU scaling". This tells the computer how it wants to display the application/program on the monitor (screen). With CCC you have 3 options under "Enable GPU scaling" they are:
-Maintain aspect ratio
-Scale image to full panel size
-Use centred timings

Basically either 'Maintain aspect ratio' or 'Use centred timings' will force the AoE application not to blow up to full screen but instead they will make AoE the resolution it was intended to be 12 years ago.

Note: 'Maintain aspect ratio' will still blow AoE up to full screen but will not take it out of proportion like making it wide-screen, when it defiantly shouldn't be.

Some people might have know this while others might not.

But I do think that this is the best (and most legal) solution for aspect/wide-screen problems.

~~~Helelix~~~
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." - Terry Pratchett
"Evil is always unspectacular and always human. And shares our bed...and eats at our table." - W.H. Auden
"The basis of shame is not some personal mistake of ours, but that this humiliation is seen by everyone." - Milan Kundera
~~~~~~~~~~~
Replies:
posted 04-07-09 03:18 AM ET (US)     1 / 5  
Good job!
posted 04-07-09 10:18 AM ET (US)     2 / 5  
Nice! Especially the legal aspect.

Nacht Jaeger - Ex AoEH Angel
posted 04-07-09 11:07 AM ET (US)     3 / 5  
So is it only the game that undergoes scaling, or the whole screen for all applications? Would there be issues with side-scrolling with the mouse too, btw?
posted 04-07-09 06:16 PM ET (US)     4 / 5  
Would there be issues with side-scrolling with the mouse too...
Because the settings affect the screen and not the game, all the changes that take place will affect the other hardware as well. For example, if I edited the executable (which is illegal) and got AoE to run in windowed mode, the mouse would still have free roam of the screen which would make side-scrolling a problem. But because the settings affect the screen, it constricts the game to the area and so hence all of your hardware like the mouse, is constricted to the area. Hence side-screen scrolling still works.
So is it only the game that undergoes scaling, or the whole screen for all applications?
I would need to check this but I believe that only 'major' applications are affected by this setting. As I'm typing this, Firefox has a reasonable amount of screen around it, skype is still in its corner and windowed games still come up in windows. As far as I can tell, It only affects games that cant go into wide-screen, which is good.

~~~Helelix~~~
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." - Terry Pratchett
"Evil is always unspectacular and always human. And shares our bed...and eats at our table." - W.H. Auden
"The basis of shame is not some personal mistake of ours, but that this humiliation is seen by everyone." - Milan Kundera
~~~~~~~~~~~

[This message has been edited by Helelix (edited 04-07-2009 @ 06:20 PM).]

posted 04-08-09 02:00 AM ET (US)     5 / 5  
My graphics driver only has the center option.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!          
The best stuff I made for Age of Empires:
 Composite Editor 1.1 Rated 5.0 ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ (Utility)
 Coke vs. Pepsi Rated 4.4 ★ ★ ★ ★ ⅖ (Multi player scenario)
 The Map of the World (Real world map)
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome » Finally!!! Solution to widescreen problems
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames