You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A little help with installation, eh?
posted 11-07-09 09:01 PM ET (US)   
Since my other computer is temporarily unavailable (and probably has a wipe in its near future) I'm trying to install AoE Gold Edition on the other computer in my house (Both have Vista). It starts out fine, but once it gets to 100% installation it freezes up. Installing on Vista is kinda hit-or-miss, but if anyone knows what to do here it would be greatly appreciated.

Nacht Jaeger - Ex AoEH Angel
Replies:
posted 11-07-09 09:36 PM ET (US)     1 / 16  
Vista is a pain in the butt. i hope 7 is waaaay better.
posted 11-07-09 09:52 PM ET (US)     2 / 16  
Well since it's already 100% maybe you can just kill the installer via Task Manager, and hopefully the game will work?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!          
The best stuff I made for Age of Empires:
 Composite Editor 1.1 Rated 5.0 ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ (Utility)
 Coke vs. Pepsi Rated 4.4 ★ ★ ★ ★ ⅖ (Multi player scenario)
 The Map of the World (Real world map)
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
posted 11-07-09 11:48 PM ET (US)     3 / 16  
I wouldn't do that, zap. It might delete everything so that it can be redone "properly".

And it's just the freaking EULA for crying out loud.

[/Your Reign]
Take that, Player 2!
posted 11-08-09 00:16 AM ET (US)     4 / 16  
Yeah, when I force quit the game won't run. I think there are still some things that need to happen.

posted 11-08-09 04:04 AM ET (US)     5 / 16  
Tried running it in compatibility mode?

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
posted 11-08-09 01:54 PM ET (US)     6 / 16  
Look for the files that should have been installed in your temp folder. They were probably shoved in there when you quit.

[/Your Reign]
Take that, Player 2!
posted 11-08-09 04:40 PM ET (US)     7 / 16  
Try installing the trial version first, and then running the install again. This seems to relate to a recent post regarding vista installation problems (specifically with registry changes not being done on vista).
posted 11-08-09 06:46 PM ET (US)     8 / 16  
posted 11-09-09 10:42 AM ET (US)     9 / 16  
We should add this to the FAQ.

posted 01-11-10 01:07 PM ET (US)     10 / 16  
I get the same now, how did you solve it Nacht? Somehow I can't run the "msaoex.exe" that I downloaded from Microsofts page.

Edit: After about half an hour of googling I found a working demo,installed it, but now I can't play it or find it anywhere!
What do I do? I NEED RISE OF ROME! MY LIFE WILL FALL APART WITHOUT THIS BELOVED GAME (...dramaqueen...)

[This message has been edited by Basse (edited 01-11-2010 @ 01:27 PM).]

posted 01-11-10 10:27 PM ET (US)     11 / 16  
Hey Basse..

Youre running Vista, right? So am I..

Give this a shot:

. Go into the registry and if AoE is your only game listed under "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft Games" delete the entire "Microsoft Games" key, else just delete the AoE/RoR keys.

You might have to do the same for HKU, Im not currently at my RoR computer. Basically just remove all evidence of the game from the registry (you might even resort to searching the registry for "Microsoft Games" though I think the above steps should cover it.)

After you've removed all traces from the registry, rename your current installation folder (which by default is in C:\program files\microsoft games\age of empires" to something different like "OLD AOE INSTALL"

Now reinstall the game and see what happens.
Just on a hunch, you might also want to change the installation directory to "C:\AOE" and see if that makes a difference. I know of another game that refused to work unless the installation directory was short.

I hope that works for you Basse If you got stuck anywhere or it didn't work, let us know.
posted 01-12-10 09:29 AM ET (US)     12 / 16  
Mine works fine on vista. I did have problems with rome total war and medieval total war and a bunch of other games. I removed the manually from the registry by following a guide. It worked, but be careful when going in the registry without guide. There might be more places where aoe stuff is placed or you might delete wrong things and end up with a total crash.
posted 01-12-10 10:12 AM ET (US)     13 / 16  
Thank you DeSirE!

I recently got aware that it was my new cds fault that my game acted retarded. So I wanted to give my old cd a try.
AND AMAZINGLY, IT WORKS!!! The Age of Empires: Collectors Edititon: Limited Edition sucks
posted 01-12-10 11:54 PM ET (US)     14 / 16  
You're welcome Basse, glad to hear it works!

Lol about the Collectors: Limited Edition.. The title sounds a bit redundant to me

Thompsoncs is right, I forgot to include a "registry editing warning" but you didn't even need to touch it..
posted 01-14-10 01:48 AM ET (US)     15 / 16  
It's literally "Limited Edition"

The best stuff I made for Age of Empires:
 Composite Editor 1.1 Rated 5.0 ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ (Utility)
 Coke vs. Pepsi Rated 4.4 ★ ★ ★ ★ ⅖ (Multi player scenario)
 The Map of the World (Real world map)
posted 01-14-10 10:43 AM ET (US)     16 / 16  
Yeah, my brother told me it was called that because that where only limited copies

[This message has been edited by Basse (edited 01-14-2010 @ 10:43 AM).]

Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome » A little help with installation, eh?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames