You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Sync Error - Yes a New, but strange one.
posted 06-03-10 01:37 AM ET (US)   
Hello all,

I'm sorry I had to make a new post, but I've searched through countless posts that never seem to have my same issue/any resolution.

I'm getting the you were dropped from the game because of a sync error message about 1 minute into the gameplay.

Gameplay Setup:
LAN
Come and Get Me 8 player
2 LAN players (team 1)
6 Computer players (team 2)
Cheats, reveal map, pop cap 200, high resources, hard difficulty.

Issue:
The issue is get the error about 1 minute into the game starting. It usually happens shortly after changing the game speed to very fast and using the steroids cheat.
(Please don't question the cheating, my younger brother likes to do it, and that is not the issue at hand)

Computers:
I have 4 computers in the house.
I've been focusing on two.

My computer:
Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme 3.0Ghz QX6850
Asus p5q deluxe Motherboard
8gb Corsair DDR2 800
300gb Velociraptor HD
SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatality Gamer Edition
EVGA GTS 250 512mb
Windows 7 Professional x64

Laptop:
Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 1.6ghz
Nvidia 8400m GS
250gb Seagate 5400rpm HD
Onboard Sound
2gb of Ram DDR2 5300
Connection=Wireless
Windows 7 Professional x32

Attempted Fixes:
I've tried running in compatibility modes.
Running as admin.
Disabling 2ndary Monitor and running on 17" at lower resolution.
Disabling IPv6 on both machines.
Disabling AVG on both machines.
Windows Firewall is already disabled.
Ports are forwarded.
Disabling uPnP in router.
Using older router. (Di-604)
Putting my gigabit ethernet at 100mbps.
Running a network cable to the laptop.
Hooking up the laptop and desktop to a router that's not connected to the internet. (Straight lan)
Changing affinity on desktop to just 1 & 2 cores.
Updated DX9.
Updated Visual C++ Runtime.
Booting into XP 32bit on my desktop and installing the game.
Newest Nvidia driver and basic microsoft video driver on desktop.

So basically I'm at a loss. The craziest thing is...if I host on the laptop (wired or wireless)...I don't get the sync error. My only thoughts are that is has something to do with the Quad Core. My other upstairs computer is a Vista 64 machine with a Quad and it also had the same issue when I tried using a different machine completely.

Thank you,

Fonatical (I suppose the name suits me well)
I put in about 20 Hours trying to fix this so far.

[This message has been edited by fonatical (edited 06-03-2010 @ 11:25 AM).]

Replies:
posted 06-03-10 08:01 AM ET (US)     1 / 8  
Make sure both uses the same version of the game. It could be the pop changer that is messing with you, because I believe both of you need it to play.

If nothing works, both reinstall the game with the same cd and try to play without changing anything
posted 06-03-10 10:01 AM ET (US)     2 / 8  
Hi, thank you for the response.

I forgot to mention that. I've tried multiple re-installs. (Reinstalling and not patching, reinstalling from the CD, reinstalling from my original gold CD)

What do you mean by pop changer? I set the population limit before the game starts, we ready up and then play.
posted 06-03-10 10:34 AM ET (US)     3 / 8  
Do you use the pop limit changer utility from the granary? Because that could be the problem. It changes some numbers which makes you have different versions. Try to play with the pop limits that you can set in game (25,50,75,100,150 and 200)
posted 06-03-10 11:26 AM ET (US)     4 / 8  
Hello,

Sorry for the confusion. I am only using the pop cap that's in the game. 200. I edited the post.
posted 06-03-10 11:37 AM ET (US)     5 / 8  
Then I don't know what is causing this

Maybe someone else does?
posted 09-19-10 06:23 PM ET (US)     6 / 8  
So I decided to go insane once again and try more things.

I tried gameranger on my pc with some friends. We were able to play a few minutes before the dreaded sync error which again only happened when I hosted. When they hosted we were able to play through. We did have one hard lock during one game though.

Continue...

I decided to try on my upstairs pc which is running vista. I installed virtualbox and installed Windows XP and promptly loaded up AOE RoR and patched it. IT WORKED!

So now this leaves me with a bunch of questions as to why it works on the VB but not on the actual pc itself.

Someone might say well its because its windows xp, my response to that is, well how come it doesn't work when I boot into my 32bit xp partition then?

Pix of machines-
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/6957/detailsu.jpg
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/6369/virtuals.jpg

This epic battle continues...

[This message has been edited by Fonatical (edited 09-19-2010 @ 06:30 PM).]

posted 09-20-10 08:39 AM ET (US)     7 / 8  
This problem only appears during LAN games? Have you gotten single player or online games working?

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
posted 09-20-10 10:19 AM ET (US)     8 / 8  
That's a good question. I'll try singleplayer, but I'd imagine it'd be fine.

Also, it does happen over the internet. I tried with gameranger and it happened there.

I did more testing last night.

I am able to host when I log in to safe mode with networking! No Sync errors!

9-21-2010 update:

Singleplayer works fine.

I got an extra hard drive and loaded a fresh copy of Windows 7 Pro on it. I then installed AOE Gold Edition and patched. The only drivers installed were the windows default ones.

Booted up and sync errors whenever I hosted. I also tried going on gameranger and also had sync errors.

I then tried disabling my usb microphone and soundcard in device manager and disabling the audio service.

No more sync errors.

I tried installing the latest creative drivers and left the audio service running...sync error.

So I'm wondering if the game just doesn't like my card...perhaps because it is in a PCI-E 1x slot? Newer games have no issue of course.

Now the perplexing part of this is that my upstairs computer (the one I installed the VM on) doesn't have a physical soundcard. It has onboard, but I also had to disable audio when not running the VM to get it to work as well.

9-29-2010 update:

It seems unplugging the soundcard from my QX6850 computer resolves the issue, but then I don't have any sound.

The issue again is the computer upstairs doesn't have a soundcard so what could it be? The drivers?

[This message has been edited by Fonatical (edited 09-29-2010 @ 11:58 AM).]

Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome » Sync Error - Yes a New, but strange one.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames