Please login or register

News Discussions
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: And the winner is...
posted 10-01-17 04:20 PM ET (US)   

...Anterior2! Congratulations, you are the grand winner of AoEH's Age Toons Contest 2017! If his Age Toon doesn't make you laugh, I don't know what will

The second place goes to Doomfrost with his toasty entry:

On the third place we have Epd999's entry. It doesn't matter how advanced your empire is, villagers will still have pathing problems:

The fourth place goes to Sonictimm, where villagers aren't really too smart when it comes to going out of eachothers way:

The fifth place (Honorable Mention) goes to Aracuan - rice is very important to Rome's growth:

You can view the original contest thread with all entries here.

Final results from the Judges

Here are the final results from the judges Suppiluliuma, PhatFish and FruktFisk.

Suppiluliuma

Okay now is my time to judge. Remember my cultural sensitivities differ greatly from those of the rest of the community (at least the regular posters).

So

1st place: Doomfrost.
And finally, the moment you have been waiting for!. The 1st place goes to...DoomFrost!. I know there's a lot of myth surrounding him, including the mirror tower controversy, but Archimedes was pretty amazing. Like the Leonardo Da Vinci of his time. Also the caption about toast is Archimedes level of genius! great job!

2nd place: anterior2's.
I just imagined how easy would be for H Cats to take down units when they are in a 'traffic jam'.

3rd Place: Epd999.
This deals with an issue similar to sonictimm's, but orders of magnitude more extreme. The AI is everything but intelligent. Again this happens in game and I have seen how AI player's economy can collapse because of stupid things like this xD.

4th Place: sonictimm's.
It does happen in game, frustrating but still funny.

5th place: Bassi's entry.
I think it is an elegant mock of us hardcore AoE fans, I think, as we resist the concept of gates, and even more so gates that take forever to be taken down xD.

Thanks for participating guys. Making these decisions was not easy considering all entries are funny. Congrats to everyone!

PhatFish

1st place: sonictimm
A classic example of one of the most prevalent issues in Age of Empires, turned into the most funny way one could ever imagine! This made me laugh so much, hence it being the winning entry for me.

2nd place: Anterior2
They say the old are wise. Apparently, not so much when the elderly join the traffic... causing massive slowdowns and frustration! An awesome entry and a worthy 2nd place.

3rd place: Doomfrost
Archimedes loved to experiment and invent. A genius ahead of his time, the man tries to invent a toaster, which turned him into toast instead! Karma is a *****.

4th place: Epd999
Woodcutters love cutting off their route so they don't get lost. Even at the height of the ancient times, shortcuts were the way to go... This goes to show the shortest route isn't always the best one!

5th place: Aracuan
According to Wikipedia, The rise of Rome can be accounted to it's immense amount of rice fields surrounding the Colloseum, keeping the plebs fed - hence the nickname "Rice of Rome".

Congratulations to the winners, and thank you all for making us laugh!

Fruktfisk

1st place: EPD999's pathfinding joke
Oh man this has a classic ring to it. I also particularly like how it plays on the AoE series' core concept of technological advancement, and how it doesn't seem to do anything for the general level of education of those poor villagers.

2nd place: Anterior2's slow priest walk speed joke
Poor old man, somebody ought to have researched Polytheism. I was actually sursprised at the lack of earlier agetoons using this concept. Still I can't help but feel this would've been more effectful if you could actually see the units walking and piling up behind the priest.

3rd place: Doomfrost's toaster joke
The thought of Archimedes repeadetly trying and failing to invent a toaster is just hilarious. Seriously though how did people in those times live without toasted bread?

4th place: Sonictimm's pathfinding joke
What can I say, I find pathfinding gags funny. I mean, we've all seen these things happen, and it's sort of a unique feature for AoE because our pathfinding is awful compared to later games. Mocking the way computers inefficiency at this simple task is just a given hit.

5th place: Aracuan's rice joke
I think part of what made this funny to me is that at first I didn't even notice the change in typing. Initially I was questioning wheter Aracuan had even understood the point of the contest, as I dumbfounded stared at the picture I thought "what is he even trying to do here?" Then I noticed the oh so slight change in the title and I realized what effort Aracuan had put into making this extremely simple pun. I think most of the enjoyment I get out of this is unintentional, I just really like the way Aracuan struggles to create something resembling a rice field in AoE only to make such a simple joke.

Last place: Bassi's DE wall joke
Haha, yeah, thank god we didn't listen to Bob and put gates in Definitve Edition. I'm definitely on the side of the other villagers. Call me a purist but gates are just redundant complexitity when you can raze your own walls with the click of a button.

The scoring total is based on how much points were given, similar to the Granary rating system. That means:

1st place - 5 points
2nd place - 4 points
3rd place - 3 points
4th place - 2 points
5th place - 1 point

The total amount of points is then divided by 3 (each judge). The results are really close!

Anterior2: 4 + 4 + 4 / 3 = 4 points total, 1st place - Grand Winner - Custom forum title, Age of Empires Definitive Edition T-Shirt, free choice between between XL, XXL or XXXL size

Doomfrost: 5 + 3 + 3 / 3 = 3.6 points total, 2nd place - Age of Empires Definitive Edition T-Shirt, size depending on grand winner's choice (XL, XXL or XXXL size)

Epd999: 3 + 2 + 5 / 3 = 3.3 points total, 3rd place - Age of Empires Definitive Edition T-Shirt, size depending on 2nd place choice (XL, XXL or XXXL size)

Sonictimm: 2 + 5 + 2 / 3 = 3 points total, 4th place - Custom Forum Title

Aracuan: 0 + 1 + 1 / 3 = 0.6 points total, 5th place - Honorable mention

Bassi: 1 + 0 + 0 / 3 = 0.3 points total, Last place

The winners will be contacted via e-mail, so be sure to check yours! All entries have been added to our Age Toons gallery. Have fun wearing your brand new Definitive Edition T-shirt, as well as displaying your custom forum title!

Thanks to all who participated in the contest!

[This message has been edited by Fruktfisk (edited 10-01-2017 @ 05:43 PM).]

Replies:
posted 10-01-17 05:27 PM ET (US)     1 / 26  
I edited the newspiece to remove an erroneous minus sign and fix (some of) the spelling errors in my reviews.

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris

[This message has been edited by Fruktfisk (edited 10-01-2017 @ 05:28 PM).]

posted 10-01-17 06:16 PM ET (US)     2 / 26  
Haha, yeah, thank god we didn't listen to Bob and put gates in Definitve Edition.
Haha, yes, indeed. Would have destroyed the concept of "remaster" anyway, since implementing of gates would change the game experience way too much.

Congrats to the winners!

My AoC Workshop
Make Build & Destroy great again!
posted 10-01-17 09:26 PM ET (US)     3 / 26  
Nnnnoooo, I didn't get a custom forum title

Congratulations to Anterior2 and to all those who entered.

I look forward to wearing my over sized DE t-shirt. (I would prefer the smallest size available)

Lost Empires Mod
Maybe it's only a fool who'll perilously journey out to what might not be there. But if you want to solve problems, you don't just solve the ones that are there, you find more and make more and go after the impossible ones.
The neanderthals never ventured into the unknown and they went extinct, so who are the fools?

[This message has been edited by Epd999 (edited 10-02-2017 @ 00:00 AM).]

posted 10-01-17 11:17 PM ET (US)     4 / 26  
Thanks guys, was fun.

Sad I won't get to put ToastyArchimedes as my forum title though.

[This message has been edited by DoomFrost (edited 10-01-2017 @ 11:21 PM).]

posted 10-01-17 11:24 PM ET (US)     5 / 26  
This was a cool contest, Congrats to everyone else in the winners list!
Nnnnoooo, I didn't get a custom forum title

Congratulations to Anterior2 and to all those who entered.

I look forward to wearing my XXL DE t-shirt. (I would prefer the smallest size available)
I'd trade you the forum title for the T-Shirt in a heartbeat if I can

Age of Empires: The Age of The Ring now available for UPatch.
posted 10-02-17 03:43 AM ET (US)     6 / 26  
Sonictimm has a trade workshop?

I'm totally fine with you guys trading prizes (t-shirt size), just make sure you both confirm this through e-mail as well.

Btw, it wasn't until I mentioned I wanted to give away my free DE t-shirt in a contest on AoEH that I got a few more from MS, but they only had these sizes left.

[This message has been edited by PhatFish (edited 10-02-2017 @ 03:44 AM).]

posted 10-02-17 10:02 AM ET (US)     7 / 26  
This was fun to participate, good work everyone!
posted 10-02-17 11:50 AM ET (US)     8 / 26  
Congrats!
posted 10-02-17 02:50 PM ET (US)     9 / 26  
I know I wear a large size shirt, but it's going to be weird getting a huge t-shirt. xD

When will the emails go out?

[This message has been edited by DoomFrost (edited 10-02-2017 @ 02:50 PM).]

posted 10-02-17 03:03 PM ET (US)     10 / 26  
I've sent an e-mail to all of the winners including you Doomfrost, check your inbox (or spam to be sure).
posted 10-02-17 03:23 PM ET (US)     11 / 26  
Yeah I think it ended up in my junk mail which gets auto-deleted by default. Sorry.
posted 10-02-17 03:53 PM ET (US)     12 / 26  
Just resent the e-mail. If it doesn't work for you we can use the forums (or send me an e-mail instead, phatfish atttt heavengames dotttt comm).
posted 10-03-17 06:41 AM ET (US)     13 / 26  
Congratz Anterior2.
posted 10-03-17 02:04 PM ET (US)     14 / 26  
I got a reply from both Doomfrost and Sonictimm. Nothing yet from Anterior2, or Epd999.
posted 10-06-17 09:51 AM ET (US)     15 / 26  
Please check your e-mail Epd999 and Anterior2, I would like to ship the t-shirts coming monday 9th or tuesday 10th. If I don't get a reply things will be delayed and you won't have your t-shirt before the 19th...
posted 10-06-17 10:22 PM ET (US)     16 / 26  
Just letting you know I have replied to your Email

Lost Empires Mod
Maybe it's only a fool who'll perilously journey out to what might not be there. But if you want to solve problems, you don't just solve the ones that are there, you find more and make more and go after the impossible ones.
The neanderthals never ventured into the unknown and they went extinct, so who are the fools?
posted 10-07-17 09:31 AM ET (US)     17 / 26  
Okay, I have gotten a reply from all the winners, thank you! Anterior2 decided he wants a custom forum title only, so to make things fair the last t-shirt will go to Sonictimm (since he really wants one and will rescind his custom forum title instead if he agrees to this).

Doomfrost chose the XL size, Epd999 will get XXL and Sonictimm XXXL size. I only need to get a reply back from Sonictimm, and then I will ship them all to you guys.

[This message has been edited by PhatFish (edited 10-07-2017 @ 09:32 AM).]

posted 10-08-17 06:25 AM ET (US)     18 / 26  
Doomfrost chose the XL size, Epd999 will get XXL and Sonictimm XXXL size.
I've heard they make for great tents.
posted 10-08-17 07:52 AM ET (US)     19 / 26  
Is funny, 2nd place overall won 1st place Congrats to everyone.

Phatfish, I really think you slaughtered the suspense by arranging the rankings the way you did. Is like if they announced who won the lottery the first thing in the night. Who will care about the rest? XD

I think going 5th place to 1st is better as it keeps people at the edge of their seats for longer.

[This message has been edited by Suppiluliuma (edited 10-08-2017 @ 07:54 AM).]

posted 10-08-17 03:38 PM ET (US)     20 / 26  
I mean I usually wear a large so I don't know how XL will fit. xD
posted 10-09-17 07:37 AM ET (US)     21 / 26  
I've heard they make for great tents.
Or capes, wall decoration. The XXXL size is ideal for this. The others *should* be fine unless you're a small person.

T-shirts have been shipped and a tracking code has been e-mailed to you guys

[This message has been edited by PhatFish (edited 10-09-2017 @ 07:38 AM).]

posted 10-16-17 05:45 PM ET (US)     22 / 26  
Just letting you know that I received the t-shirt yesterday, it's a bit too big.

Lost Empires Mod
posted 10-16-17 11:34 PM ET (US)     23 / 26  
posted 10-17-17 11:58 PM ET (US)     24 / 26  
No, no. It's fine. It's better than nothing

Lost Empires Mod
posted 10-18-17 09:04 PM ET (US)     25 / 26  
Got my shirt, thanks guys.
posted 10-21-17 08:35 AM ET (US)     26 / 26  
Well, so much for the release date of AoE DE...

Sonictimm, did you get yours? Anterior2, have you decided on a custom title yet?
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » News Discussions » And the winner is...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames