Veni, Vidi, Vici
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Is this place dying?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 05-20-06 03:31 PM ET (US)   
The reveiwers board is going down, AOEH is nine years old, the zone is closing, people are thinking about leaving... It's all too sad. Is everyone leaving? Is this place dying? It sure seems like it.

Ack!
Replies:
posted 05-20-06 03:41 PM ET (US)     1 / 34  
Worst of all, it went so fast...one year ago, no-one would have dreamed that any of this would be happening...

I'm truly touched by these events.

But rest assured, I will stay faithful to AoEH. After all, it has played an important part in my life.

Don't fear
Drink Beer!
posted 05-20-06 05:15 PM ET (US)     2 / 34  
To true. I think I said I would be leaving but I think I'll stay as a forumer but not much else. I really hope this place does survive.

The Dark Archer

"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein
"I once met a girl who looked like a camel" - Rasteve
Death of the Morads | AoEH Design Series II | Out From the Cliffs
posted 05-20-06 06:14 PM ET (US)     3 / 34  
Guys, Summer coming and people leave school for some Holidays. I'm near to be at my sixth years here; don't worry, it's just a quiet moment during the year. Sure the Zone disappear but I think that people may going here to hang during some times. I think that many of us can doing their own part to have a "AOEH alive and well". (for my case, I've choose to be a Designer.) For the "Reviewers thread" I think that reviewers will continue the job and who knows, Richard will probably back, one of these days for some reviews.

During my six years here, I have changed location many times, studies, Jobs, Life and the like. I'm around 'cos I like this Game; do the same!.

If you stick to AOE/ROR, I'm pretty sure we'll meet next year for the tenth Anniversary of AOEH.

Me, Avenger and Hanz.

Tribulation Designs
posted 05-20-06 11:47 PM ET (US)     4 / 34  
I think we're actually going well at the moment. Active (for the summer holidays), lots of new stuff on the go...rest assured, I've seen it far worse.

DR LORENZO
AoEH | Woad Creations Alumni
I of course meant bastard in a positive way! - Kor
I just sort of chop away at it when it gets long enough. The ladies love it. - Obese, on shaving
Lorenzo is kind of like that relative everyone knows about but won't talk about. - Crimson Knight
We already knew about the mass murders and gang rapes and ethnic cleansings, but now they've resorted to ENCRYPTING PEOPLES ELECTRONIC DOCUMENTS! - drahnier
posted 05-22-06 09:32 AM ET (US)     5 / 34  
People have been informing me since 2000 that AoE/RoR along with AoE Heaven is dead.

For some "crazy" reason AoE/RoR games are still played and people still post here. Crazy......

We seem to be a tough little community that will have a hard time letting go.

RoR Forever!

Can you survive the Blitzkrieg?
posted 05-24-06 10:14 AM ET (US)     6 / 34  
AoEH always has a spring hiatus in activity. Don't worry come July/August time and we'll be back in full flow...

CenturionZ_1
HG Angel
AoEH Staff

'In heaven an angel is nobody in particular.' - George Bernard Shaw
Age of Empires Heaven Agetoons About Me
posted 05-24-06 10:29 AM ET (US)     7 / 34  
I just wish my AoE and my RoR CDs didn't disappear years ago.

I wish older games like AoE, and, say, Myst and Riven enjoyed re-releases so they can be updated to run properly on newer computers.

Now I'll be itching to install Riven again all day, but the second I do I know my day is shot.

what
posted 05-24-06 02:24 PM ET (US)     8 / 34  
When I had just joined AoEH thre was also a lot of discussion about the forum dying. Most of the talk was off-topic and the staff was, I think, thinking about closing it then. Besides, there was no staff. Everybody had run off to AoKH and other sites. There was a major server transit and after that many people couldn't reconnect. I thought that would be the death blow. And see what happeded since then.

Riven and Myst run fine on my system, Queeny, but that's a Windows system. Are you trying it on an Apple with OS X?

posted 05-24-06 04:10 PM ET (US)     9 / 34  
I here there's a place where you can d/l AoE in full.

Nahoo games.

Plus, there's the demo...

posted 05-24-06 06:28 PM ET (US)     10 / 34  
My problems, peter, have mostly been to do with resolution, I'm a Microsoft kind of gal. I haven't tried to install it on the computer that I got for school last year, only the old family computer I'm on now.

I'll try installing it again. I've done enough today to make me feel like I haven't wasted time.

what
posted 05-24-06 07:56 PM ET (US)     11 / 34  
HeroPatrick:
Better edit that post, as we don't like that kind of advertising.

Queeny:
I have 1280x1024 on a 19'' tft monitor. So the graphics get blown up a bit but it's not so terrible. Maybe if you have something even bigger you shoukd try running the games in a window - if that's possible.

posted 05-25-06 06:41 AM ET (US)     12 / 34  
We won't let this place die. There are too many nice moments, too many legendary campaigns and too many people that I really like here to simply let go. And I hope that I'm not the only one who feels this way. I will keep on reviewing until.. well probably forever
It's just a little change now, there are new people who now have to carry on. You will see, next year we're laughing about this thread because we will see ho ridiculous our fears have been.

Nanaki from the super heroes

When you play with fire you must anticipate some burns.
Chasing for desire is just a different way to learn! Kamelot - III Ways To Epica
posted 05-25-06 12:41 PM ET (US)     13 / 34  
I have a 17" monitor, and I'll switch it to that resolution, once I find those Riven disks.

what
posted 05-25-06 02:06 PM ET (US)     14 / 34  
With 17 inch it shouldn't be so bad really - thing is Riven is played in 800x600 or even less. But I had a lot of fun replaying it anyway - the two hardest puzzles were as bad as ever. Have fun.
posted 05-26-06 11:58 AM ET (US)     15 / 34  
AoEH is nowhere close to dying.

In other words, never!

posted 05-26-06 09:11 PM ET (US)     16 / 34  
It dies when we say so. Nobody else

My Karma ran over my Dogma

AoEH | EEH | RoNH | IndividualsCAN

posted 05-27-06 12:28 PM ET (US)     17 / 34  
Why are you posting with your Phillistine account, Phill? Better make up your mind, man.
posted 05-27-06 03:02 PM ET (US)     18 / 34  
Lol, I know. Keep forgetting to log out and back in.

My Karma ran over my Dogma

AoEH | EEH | RoNH | IndividualsCAN

posted 05-28-06 05:02 PM ET (US)     19 / 34  
As long as people are introduced to AOE and ROR, and look online for other players so they can chat and play MP, this place won't die. I googled age of empires forums and found this. Now I spend like 3 hours on here every day. lol

P.S. I also love playing multiplayer games, but don't ever expect to win playing me because i am a master strategist and know every cheat in the book. lol

posted 06-07-06 05:56 AM ET (US)     20 / 34  
Still here =D
Just studyin my ass off

GlobalChimp
I don't cry. But my guitar does.
posted 06-08-06 02:09 AM ET (US)     21 / 34  
I must admit the place is the least active I've seen it for a couple of years, but I know what Peter means about people all going to AoK and the place seeming like it would close from my forum trawling - it was far worse than this, and that was a very long time ago. The possibility of one day MS making AoE a program that comes preinstalled on our operating system certainly makes for a good chance of AoEH being open for many years to come.

For me, I admit, I may well be leaving for good at some point, but there will always be new forumers coming in, and I can always be contacted if you want to catch up or ask for me to do a review etc.

The possibilities of using skype with multiplayer, RSS feeds, a wiki, the new editor possibilities etc are too much not to bring the potential for a whole new life for AoE. If people have any initiative that will certainly be the case. If it isn't, we all had a good time anyway.

Richard Wilde
rswilde01(at)gmail(dot)com
Skype - Gmail - Firefox
Wikipedia
Review Thread - AoKH - GenieWiki
posted 06-08-06 10:10 AM ET (US)     22 / 34  

Quote:

The possibility of one day MS making AoE a program that comes preinstalled on our operating system certainly makes for a good chance of AoEH being open for many years to come.

Seriously? Is that your own hypotesis or did you read it somewhere?

posted 06-08-06 12:06 PM ET (US)     23 / 34  
I think what has happened is that the scenario design has gone quieter which has led to the rest of the AOEH community dying down.

I don't think its catastrophic, I just feel that the activity we've had in the last few years has been really abnormally high for a 9 year old game what with the new features discovered in the Scenario Editor and the flood of new campaigns.

I always knew that the craze wuold eventually run out of steam and the place would quieten down. But trust me, the activity is still good, about as active as it was 2/3 years ago when we thought we had discovered all there was to know about AoE.

CenturionZ_1
HG Angel
AoEH Staff

'In heaven an angel is nobody in particular.' - George Bernard Shaw
Age of Empires Heaven Agetoons About Me
posted 06-09-06 03:44 PM ET (US)     24 / 34  

Quote:

I don't think its catastrophic, I just feel that the activity we've had in the last few years has been really abnormally high for a 9 year old game what with the new features discovered in the Scenario Editor and the flood of new campaigns.

I think it isn't exaggerated to say that 2004 and 2005 have been the second Golden Age for AoE.

...never two without three

posted 06-09-06 08:32 PM ET (US)     25 / 34  
I agree with that comment Andrea.

Hey what about this idea.
We start a thread about this “Second Golden Age” and try and label big events. Like STC discovers or the release of campaigns, contest, important people etc..
I think it would be fun to see what people think what where the important event or milestones of this ‘Second Golden Age”. So, what do you think of that idea. Start a new thread.

Quote:

I think what has happened is that the scenario design has gone quieter which has led to the rest of the AOEH community dying down.

Well, Andréa came along and got the whole place physic up, and got things going.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/Tropper/Funk.jpg[/img]
AKA FireLegion_56 @ AOEH

Lastest Project:Classified

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Veni, Vidi, Vici » Is this place dying?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames