You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Modding
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: It's snowing in AoE and RoR !
posted 01-06-99 10:36 AM ET (US)   
Hey all you snow lovers,they just posted the snow modpacks I created in the Granary. You'll find them in the Misc. utilities section. There is one for AoE and one for RoR included in the zip.Now you can design scenarios with snow effects and a snow covered pine forest!
Install is quick and simple, as is removal/restore of original files. I even put a couple of shortcuts to the install and uninstall .bat files on my desktop right next to the game ones. Sorry for the download size but it includes a .jpg screenshot to give an idea of what can be achieved. A must download utility, you won't be disappointed.
Hey it even got the thumbs-up from none other than Imhotep!

"Blood,Carnage,and the smell of
rotting flesh !
AAH! Thats the life for me!"

[This message has been edited by Pusbucket (edited 01-06-99).]

Replies:
posted 01-06-99 11:04 AM ET (US)     1 / 10  
Hey, Pusbucket! Thanx to you from all of us; since we last talked, I've tried it. The effect and ease of use are both nice.

OldGrex
Ave Caesar! Morituri te salutant!

posted 01-06-99 11:21 AM ET (US)     2 / 10  
I'm inclined to take a wait and see approach to new tricks with any program. In this case you have created what should have been part of the orginial tile set. Excellant job to you and the others whos programs helped get you to this point.

This is a full "5+" in my opinion.

[This message has been edited by BenHammer (edited 01-06-99).]

posted 01-07-99 05:37 PM ET (US)     3 / 10  
Hey, downloadnin' it now, and if both you and Imhotep, liked it, I am sure I will like it too.

Sean

[This message has been edited by Sean (edited 01-07-99).]

posted 01-13-99 03:18 PM ET (US)     4 / 10  
Wow! That looks great. I am thinking of doing one of my own now, but I have no clue were to even begin. Would you give the secrets of how you made these away.

posted 01-13-99 08:28 PM ET (US)     5 / 10  
No secret involved. I just used the utilities SLPStudio by Joseph Knight and DRSbuild by Stoyan Ratchev. Then extracted the files and altered them using Adobe Photoshop 5.0.
It took three days and lots of trial and error to get it right.Wouldn't it be easier to just take advantage of the work I've already done if you want snow ? Full install/uninstall directions and a what's been changed are included in the .txt file.

rotting flesh !

posted 01-14-99 07:13 PM ET (US)     6 / 10  
I need help with this. Ive been working with my modpack all day, I figured out how to extract files and then I edited them, but I cant figure out how to turn them into slp. files. Can you help me out?

posted 01-14-99 09:47 PM ET (US)     7 / 10  
O.K. You are using SLPStudio I assume. If not download it and use it.

!!!VERY IMPORTANT!!!
BACK-UP ALL THE DRS FILES BEFORE YOU START TO WORK WITH THEM(or you might have to reinstall them from the CD like I did )

1)select the slp you want to work with

2)in the Edit pull down choose Convert Frame
and save the conversion. it will be a .bmp
there are three files for each slp graphic frame (non-animated)

3)Edit the .bmp file that starts with G in your favorite graphics program. Save with same name

4)Next from the Edit pulldown choose Replace Frame. After a couple seconds you should see your edited version in the window.

5)Next pick another SLP file from the list on the left, when you do a dialog box will pop up asking if you want to save the changes to the file. say yes and another dialog box will pop up just click yes and it will then reassemble the three parts and save it as an SLP file.

6)Finally from the File pulldown select Replace File. A dialog box will pop-up asking what file to replace it with, select the one you just created.

Just make sure that between steps 5 and 6 you reselect the slp you want to replace.

!!!These instuctions will change the DRS files installed!!!

In order to make a mod-pack from them DON'T do step #6. Just save the new SLP files in a folder with the name you want for the mod-pack. If you downloaded the snow mod then you can get an idea of what nneds to be done from that.
If you aren't comfortable or proficient in editing batch files just E-mail me the finished mod-pack and I will put it all together in a zip file with a batch file to install/uninstall it.

NOTE:there are different DRS files for RoR in the DATA2 folder that contain the new graphics and such for RoR. Depending on what you are doing you may have to work on both sets. That is why I made two snow mods. AoE & RoR use different DRS files.

What type of mod pack are you working on ?

rotting flesh !

[This message has been edited by Pusbucket (edited 01-14-99).]

posted 01-15-99 09:48 AM ET (US)     8 / 10  
I LOVE This snowmod!!!

Finally you can make a real Viking (my ancestors) scenario!!

A tip: Shallows looks almost like ice!!
I´ve tried it and it actualy looks quite nice!

posted 01-15-99 10:20 PM ET (US)     9 / 10  
I just used the snomod. ITS Terrific! i made my first stage of celindion, it has snow all over it . However my uninstall for the Mod won't work. and couldn't ya have made half the grass patches snow only? Cuz i might have need of normal graspatches later. but thanks for the snow

posted 01-15-99 10:50 PM ET (US)     10 / 10  
(Elijeh, check your e-mail The address listed here, she no good .)

Hi Elijeh,
Did the install routine create a backup folder for the DRS files ? If so
just copy them back into the DATA2 directory and overwrite the ones in there. Strange I have had no problems in removing the mod and restoring the original files. You are using the RoRmodin.bat to restore them aren't you ?

Luckily the DRS files are not compressed on the CD so they can be copied straight over.

As far as leaving some clumps green yeah I thought about that as well as a few pine trees after the fact. I may make a modification to it and upload it as well as
an installer in Visual Basic (just learning that though). But if you notice there are still some grass clumps which appear in the map that are not available in the editor so you could use those to get the effect
you want. Man it was a ******to figure that one out as I was making the mod packs!
Going through ALL the SLP files and back and forth to the game to figure out what was what!
Glad to hear you enjoy it.

rotting flesh !

[This message has been edited by Pusbucket (edited 01-15-99).]

Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Modding » It's snowing in AoE and RoR !
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames