Please login or register

Scenario Design and Modding
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: AoE designers REALLY worth a medal
posted 05-27-04 07:27 PM ET (US)   
Seven years, and AoE is still an awesome game, with a lot of fans devoted to it. Not only that, there are still people who like to create scenarios and campaigns. I am one of them. And we surely worth a medal, not only for our long lasting faith, but for the crazy editor we must deal with.

This thread is a constructive critic about the (well known) flaws within the AoE scenario builder. These things have been discussed separately in older threads, but it's useful to list them all, once more.

- Grasspatch vs Rocks: this one is enough to send you to the sanatory, as well as the floating cacti. The rule here is to place your rocks only when your terrain really satisfy you.

- Undo function: an eternal mirage. Save often, my friends.

- The missing mirror image for the waterfall: how much effort for ES to add it? How better our scenario would look? Instead, in our little worlds, water goes only from east to west.

- Corlis & Herisfon: unknown heroes, both with a strange trend to transformism. And a lack of heroes in general (this has been fixed in AoK)

- Medusa: what the hell is it supposed to be!?

- Patch1.0c: famous for making undeletables the blue shallow tiles. Take a look to the river in the 4th scenario of U.D.F.T.H.A.: I make it all with the 1.0c installed. But I'm a masochist, not to be taken to example.

- There are some objects which can be handled out of their shape. This means that often you will move or delete them instead of another object you were pointing at.

People who know more of these flaws can post here.
bye!

Replies:
posted 05-28-04 01:35 AM ET (US)     1 / 10  
Medusa is the most oddball unit in the game, really just a cheat.

Hector is by far the most lunatic of all the units, can't kill animals, can't enter transports, etc.

DR LORENZO
AoEH | Woad Creations Alumni
I of course meant bastard in a positive way! - Kor
I just sort of chop away at it when it gets long enough. The ladies love it. - Obese, on shaving
Lorenzo is kind of like that relative everyone knows about but won't talk about. - Crimson Knight
We already knew about the mass murders and gang rapes and ethnic cleansings, but now they've resorted to ENCRYPTING PEOPLES ELECTRONIC DOCUMENTS! - drahnier
posted 05-28-04 07:47 AM ET (US)     2 / 10  
-Missing mirror images of buildings.

-The CP don't use his tame lions

-The good stuff you'll find in the AOK/TC scn editor that you cannot find in the AOE/ROR scn editor.....

Me, Avenger and Hanz.

Tribulation Designs
posted 05-28-04 09:42 AM ET (US)     3 / 10  
small forest paths.... plus pathfinding... equal mind wracking hell to play.... urgh...

`·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.·SnakeEyes·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.·
Resident Ferry-Master
.:Woad creations:Blackstorm Inventions:.
AoE is my game,
SnakeEyes is my name!!!

posted 05-28-04 08:26 PM ET (US)     4 / 10  
Small forest paths do not work. Period.

DR LORENZO
I just sort of chop away at it when it gets long enough. The ladies love it. - Obese, on shaving
Lorenzo is kind of like that relative everyone knows about but won't talk about. - Crimson Knight
We already knew about the mass murders and gang rapes and ethnic cleansings, but now they've resorted to ENCRYPTING PEOPLES ELECTRONIC DOCUMENTS! - drahnier
posted 05-28-04 08:43 PM ET (US)     5 / 10  
The heroes who look like villes. Make a mistake while moving them by e.g. clicking on a tree and they become villies.

My Karma ran over my Dogma

AoEH | EEH | RoNH | IndividualsCAN

posted 05-29-04 02:01 PM ET (US)     6 / 10  
Pathfinding kills you during gameplay; earlier than your enemy.

The villie heroes are weirdo, yes, you are right, mistake a click and you'll have to give it a seperate number

Editor sometimes saves incorrectly - can't reload the files.

And even though there are hundreds of glitches like this, UDFTHC has proven us that it is still possible to create a nice *little* campaigns and scenarios.

posted 05-30-04 07:05 PM ET (US)     7 / 10  
...not to forget Gaia buildings which can assume only the asian tileset.
posted 05-30-04 07:58 PM ET (US)     8 / 10  
How about when you create a scenario, and then a year or so later, when you go to finish it off, you can't load it because you saved it with the C patch, and then opened it with the B patch, or just the original files from the AOE Gold disk. Talk about madness. Although, maybe that's a user error. Which reminds me, check your email Lorenzo. An .scx I told you I'd have ready in a week or so is finally ready to destroy, of course it's been about half a year or so since I said that.
posted 05-31-04 01:42 AM ET (US)     9 / 10  
Thanks man, I'll give it a good going over tomorrow.

DR LORENZO
posted 06-03-04 01:10 AM ET (US)     10 / 10  
The only real thing thats it missed was tiggers. I could put up with all the other bugs. But wastes my time some times. O well, have played AoE for agessss.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/Tropper/Funk.jpg[/img]
AKA FireLegion_56 @ AOEH

Lastest Project:Classified

Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Modding » AoE designers REALLY worth a medal
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames