Please login or register

Scenario Design and Modding
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: SLP easy?
posted 01-16-07 01:00 PM ET (US)   
Is there anyone who is efficient with image or photo editing? Maybe you could help.

I have just got my hands on Adobe Photoshop for the pure reason of AoE. I have been striving to create credible graphics for AoE but so far I have had too much trouble.

In that time I have picked up on the fact that all SLPs can be converted to 8-bit BMP and then back to SLP. My problem is creating new images in 8-bit BMP format using the correct palette.

I know there are many tedious methods used by anyone with 30-40 hours to kill, but I think that I have a solution...

This is untested (I will try it out on the weekend):

1. Use SLP Studio (GUI/Windows version) to load the required palette (it is a BIN file). Most of the SLPs use the first palette, and I believe that all in-game graphics use the same first palette. Set-up menus etc use the others.

2. Take a screenshot and paste into MS Paint. Crop out everything but the colours, it is okay to keep some of the black background too. Save the image as 256 BMP file.

3. Open the saved palette with Adobe Photoshop. Configure the image to index the colours to the colours in the image. Save this colour table as a palette.

4. Open the SLP you wish to change via Adobe Photoshop (after extracting via SLP Studio).

5. Open the image you wish to use to replace the SLP (can be in any format, JPG etc).

6. Open a blank page, apply index colours, loading the previously saved colour table.

7. Copy the image from step 5 into the page in step 6. The copied image should convert to the same colour palette. You may be prompted for dithering/nearest colour technique, or set this up yourself. Dithering = colour not in palette is created from a texture of near colours, can create a spotty effect if seen up close. Nearest colour = finds nearest match to replace colour outside of palette, not always perfect.

8. Fix up picture to same size as replacement, use image from step 4 as guidance.

9. Further steps required for player colour and shadow effects.

10. Use SLP to replace frame with new image.

Again, I need to test this out, but if anyone can try it out in the mean time or add useful comments let me know. Potentially, any image can be put into the DRS files, and therefore the game.

Just the basics should help to replace any 1 frame image, such as a building or icon.

[This message has been edited by Rasteve (edited 01-17-2007 @ 08:54 AM).]

Replies:
posted 01-16-07 07:01 PM ET (US)     1 / 5  
Adobe Photoshop, if you want to mess around with palette you might be better off using some thing like Corel (was jasc) paint shop pro. It very good for the use with images and palette.

I would help but I don't have much exprince with Photoshop. I use the gimp these days. I use to use paint shop pro back in the old days.

But I work with slp. (well, more accurately, experimented with)
1.Just exprot the frame out of the joe slp program. Rip the palette and save it in .pal
2.Load the image you want and index the image (other words, change the image to a 8bit colour.)
3.The save the bitmap and covert to a slp file.

Working with slp not hard, just time consuming. I hope that helps.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/Tropper/Funk.jpg[/img]
AKA FireLegion_56 @ AOEH

Lastest Project:Classified

[This message has been edited by FireLegion_56 (edited 01-16-2007 @ 07:03 PM).]

posted 01-17-07 08:48 AM ET (US)     2 / 5  

Quote:

Just exprot the frame out of the joe slp program. Rip the palette and save it in .pal

The palette is a BIN file so it does not extract correctly!?

Quote:

Load the image you want and index the image (other words, change the image to a 8bit colour.)

Actually, this is correct. You need to index to use the available colours in the image (use the palette image to get the full spectrum).

Quote:

Working with slp not hard, just time consuming. I hope that helps.

Very time consuming! Thanks for the point about indexing colours.

posted 01-17-07 05:35 PM ET (US)     3 / 5  
It's better to copy the images you want from the game. Looking for the right archive in the "graphics.SLP" file takes too much time.

"Hero" Mero
Roggan? Anonymous Ancient Villager
tcartaoe@yahoo.com

Age of Empires Heaven - AoE Cartography Workshop
posted 01-18-07 10:09 AM ET (US)     4 / 5  
I've tried to create a modpack once with PS, but my images would always turn up rather glitchy, even when using the correct palette (used about the same method as you described). I'm no good at modding or creating new renders for use in the game.
posted 01-18-07 10:21 AM ET (US)     5 / 5  
I can remember reading somewhere that adding new graphics messes up water terrain (wierd colours hover over the water!).
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Modding » SLP easy?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames