Please login or register

Scenario Design and Modding
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: New EyE Candy: The McCloud Effects
posted 05-08-07 06:14 PM ET (US)   

It doesn’t matter if you have AoE, RoR, DoM or are using an enhanced editor. Don’t need any installation, any mod pack, any files, etc… no nothing is needed! Just use your own mouse to create these discovered techniques from the master designer McCloudDash91.

PhatFish has posted it here: http://www.phatfish.nl/aoemccloudeffects.html
Go ahead and post some interesting screenshots, have fun!

[This message has been edited by GeorgeRoR (edited 05-17-2007 @ 11:59 AM).]

Replies:
posted 05-08-07 11:17 PM ET (US)     1 / 16  
Unfortunately my parental controls are blocking me from this site, what is it

~Living in Heaven Scince 2006~
No longer a stupid Freshmen - Now a foolish Sophmore
posted 05-09-07 02:06 AM ET (US)     2 / 16  
Water on hills xD

My Projects:
|Bushido - Way of the Warrior|Assassins of Greece|

Ikeda coming soon !
posted 05-09-07 02:36 AM ET (US)     3 / 16  
Ultima Shadow: I've emailed you the file which shows the eye candy. Basically, it's putting water on different elevations.

Fox and EE: About time! Congrats
posted 05-09-07 09:45 AM ET (US)     4 / 16  
+ some terrain stuff. K, should be sending this out later today. Andrea, Phil, Phat, and Nezon be on alert lol. k back to the drawing board. btw don't expect to flashy an article, I am try to rush this off.

posted 05-09-07 04:08 PM ET (US)     5 / 16  
Do you guys achieve those effects by operating with the mouse outside of the regular map, right? Finally someone has decided to write something about this obscure topic. Well done McCloudDash91
posted 05-09-07 04:13 PM ET (US)     6 / 16  
Thanks Andrea Rosa. Yes, the cat is out of the bag... err.. fox I mean. Yes, that is the big secret. anyway the article has a short delay as I have sent it to some reviewers Yes, this has been obscure for too long.

Btw here is the template I made and sent to Fox to get his permission to write the article up: http://gallery.myff.org/gallery/79653/highwater.scx

[This message has been edited by GeorgeRoR (edited 05-09-2007 @ 06:29 PM).]

posted 05-10-07 00:28 AM ET (US)     7 / 16  
Wait, who's actually writing the article up?
posted 05-10-07 08:52 AM ET (US)     8 / 16  
The article has been sent out

Might be good to post here some screenies whenever you all start using these techniques

[This message has been edited by GeorgeRoR (edited 05-10-2007 @ 01:54 PM).]

posted 05-12-07 05:35 AM ET (US)     9 / 16  
It's a superb eye-candy effect (my favorite!), although it took some years to find out. I remember screwing around with Stephen Dumas' way some years ago (Phill's article). Unlocking it through glitching is another way - but much harder. The beta and squary terrains are very useful too I received the article, will place it on my webby asap (I'll have to cut down some most of the images size though). This should be added to AoEH's scn design section as well, or at least be stickied.
posted 05-12-07 06:05 AM ET (US)     10 / 16  
I didn't get the article
posted 05-13-07 11:37 AM ET (US)     11 / 16  
I will post here any updates and links as they become available. In the mean time, HERE IS THE ARTICLE ONLY, NO PICTURES. Kinda hard to figure them out. but hope to post pictures too as they become availible.

The McCloud Effects

As snow flurries bristled about ole York Towne in the year 2006 AD, there stirred yet warmth from a fire that ran deep in the heart of one lad. Though greatly esteemed for his designing skills, he would soon rise and make his name, McCloudDash91, highly praised by the releasing of his famous eye-candy template that winter. Inside there lay some astonishing design tricks, especially where we could run water vessels up and down hills. A whiz kid of this caliber though, as often is the case, is quite on the go, so many moons passed, stretching into months. Now perchance one day, some distance away, as I was browsing the fertile fields of Tribulation Designs, I happened upon the original McCloudDash91 thread. I decided to stop and take a look again. Then turning to the editor I sought the source of McCloudDash91’s discoveries. Soon I accidentally made my first water hill seen here:

It took fine reckoning and testing, yet finally sent a template, click http://gallery.myff.org/gallery/79653/highwater.scx,
to McCloudDash91 for confirmation and also to request him to bequeath on me the honor of continuing his dream of writing such a prestigious article. Now besides being foxy, McCloudDash91 also possesses that noblest quality of all virtues, namely charity. And thus does it come to pass that from him I give unto the world the following ‘McCloud Effects’.

There are two major categories of McCloud Effects. The first effect deals with water and elevation. The second effect relates to beta and unique terrain. There is more inter-lapping and variations possible with the McCloud Effects (see screenshot and template at the end of this article). I will try to be as simple to avoid confusion, however please play and test further to discover what can be done with these effects.

The Key Secret to all the McCloud Effects

All the following effects deal with one thing in common: the use of the mouse pointer on the extreme black border edge, off the map, in the editor. To this end it also brings up a limitation; that these effects can not be applied to the center areas of maps using the following techniques.

PART ONE: The Making of Continuous Water Hills

1. Outward Water Rise

On a blank template* fill an area with either water, deep water, or shallows. Next use elevation 7 on with a huge selection, but do not click on the map. Instead go all the way to the extreme black border edge, the off map area, and carefully click there.

2. Inward Water Rise

Is the reverse of the above effect. You start of with making a high elevation 7 area and fill it with water. Then use a level 1 elevation brush on the extreme black border edge to get the water to run toward the center.

You will need to move away to reset the edge.

3. Sideways Water Runs/Rises

You can hold on to the mouse button and carefully drag it along the extreme black border edge to make the water continue to run on the elevation level brush you have selected.

You can then connect two bodies of water.

-- Be careful when using any terrain or elevation tools on the regular map near these effects as they affect them. Be sure to save your work every time you achieve a particular aim. --

PART TWO: The Making of Unique Terrain

1. Square blocks

On a grass area, select water terrain palette with a huge brush and then click on extreme black border edge.

Try it again this time adding a Forest section on medium brush size block inside the bigger block by clicking the mouse in the same location as before.

2. Beta beaches

Start with putting some water down on the map. Then select grass terrain with a huge brush and click on the extreme black border edge. You will get something like this maybe.

What to do to clear it up? Well just save the scenario and come back, you should get this:

Also you can do it reverse style by trying out a grass map a tiny water brush on the extreme black border edge.

*please note that default maps are normally elevation 2, you can make them lower for more depth.

-- Be careful when using any terrain or elevation tools on the regular map near ANY of these effects as they affect them. Be sure to save your work every time you achieve a particular aim. --

Here’s a sample of the many interesting applications possible with some the previous effects applied, see if you try it or better experiment on your own too:

Thanks for your time, enjoy designing!

Whiz Kid: McCloudDash91 + Article Creator: GeorgeRoR + Reviewer: BBlazas

posted 05-16-07 05:45 PM ET (US)     12 / 16  
Im so happy this can finally be released to the public

Excellent job on the articles, EE, im very impressed. Thank you very much for naming it after me, but i think you deserve some credit as well for finding them after i did, dont you think? Your name should be in the title somewhere as well, as you did write everything

And to everybody else, enjoy your functional waterfalls

~ Fox

Tribulation Designs - AoE's one and only master design team.

The Legend of Assyria | Honor of a Samurai {prelude}

posted 05-17-07 00:17 AM ET (US)     13 / 16  
I really want images now
posted 05-17-07 12:02 PM ET (US)     14 / 16  
PhatFish plastered the article up on his site check the link in the first post. Brin on them screenshots

posted 05-20-07 01:48 PM ET (US)     15 / 16  
I see... this happened to me sometime, but I nevver understood how I did it...

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
posted 05-20-07 03:52 PM ET (US)     16 / 16  
phft... Doesn't look all too handy from the pic, but hey hey, we'll find a way.
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Modding » New EyE Candy: The McCloud Effects
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames