Scenario Design and Modding
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Unknown Civilization Template & Dat
posted 06-19-09 06:00 AM ET (US)   
Unknown Civilization

Unknown civilization is actually the GAIA civilization we have always known. Through hex-editing the *.scn file, it can be accessed by human or computer player in Age of Empires (without the Rise of Rome expansion pack) campaigns. A showcase campaign Land of Tribulation was also made to display its usage along with other tricks.

Disadvantages:
  • It is difficult to access the unknown civilization, only in testing and campaign.
  • It cannot be used in the Rise of Rome expansion pack.
  • You need to start (not finish) a normal game before editing or playing a scenario (campaign) with the unknown civilization to prevent a highly possible crash.
  • You cannot modify the tribe name, resource amount or AI behavior of the player with the unknown civilization in the map editor, or otherwise you would lose the unknown civilization setting.
  • The unknwon civilization has no unique civilization bouns.
  • The unknown civilization cannot gather resource, while human player would even "capture" all seen animals, trees, mines and fishes.
  • The unknown civilization cannot build; computer player will just place the foundation of a building, while a building command by human player will crash the game.
Advantages:
  • The unknown civilization’s name is cool.
  • The unknown civilization has ALL technologies.
  • The unknown civilization can have animal, tree, berry bush, gold mine, stone mine and fish as player units, with no villager from any player being able to gather resource from them.
  • The unknown civilization can have alligator, eagle (automatic map-exploring), elephant, elephant king, gazelle, horse, lion, lion king, and pigeon (hawk) as player units, but human player cannot control their movement.
  • The unknown civilization’s dock prohibits trading service FOR other player.
  • The unknown civilization’s villager always attack with the jihad animation.
As I promised, the unknown civilization templates and a compatible *.dat allowing placement for player animal units are being made (mines, trees and several other GAIA units would be included in later versions).

Since you cannot modify the tribe name and the starting resource of unknown civilization players in the map editor, or otherwise you would lose the unknown civilization setting, they are all pre-set in the template in the following combinations.

Name:
  • Unknown (U*.scx)
  • Wild Beast (W*.scx)
  • Tamed Animal (T*.scx)
Resource:
  • All 0 (*0.scx)
  • Deathmatch default (*DM.scx)
  • All 99999 (*99999.scx)
On the other hand, the altered empires.dat (named unknown1.dat) will enable placement of the following units for normal players:
  • Alligator
  • Elephant
  • Fish - Tuna
  • Fish - Salmon
  • Gazelle
  • Lion King
  • Elephant King
  • Bird - Hawk
  • Bird - Eagle
  • Lion
  • Horse
  • Fish - Shore
  • Fish - Shore
  • Fish Whale
Another file unknown2.dat, besides having the above feature, will also include all the functions of Enhanced Editor 2.0. However, it would not allow you to test the scenario directly in the map editor.

Download Link: http://aoe.heavengames.com/dl-php/showfile.php?fileid=2223

How to Use:
  1. Make a backup of the original empires.dat in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires\Data.
  2. Put the *.scn files into C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires\Scenario.
  3. Start Age of Empires (without Rise of Rome expansion pack) and design on the *.scn files with your preferred setting until everything is finished except the placement of GAIA units for unknown civilization players.
  4. Exit the game, then put the *.dat file into C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires\Data and rename the one you want to use (with or without Enhanced Editor 2.0 function) into empires.dat.
  5. Start Age of Empires (without Rise of Rome expansion pack) again and create a standard simple player random map game, then exit it immediately once it is started.
  6. Go the map editor, open the *.scn file you are designing and place the GAIA units for unknown civilization players.
  7. Exit the game and restore the original empires.dat.
  8. Start Age of Empires (without Rise of Rome expansion pack) again and create a standard simple player random map game, then exit it immediately once it is started.
  9. Put your finished *.scn file into a campaign and test your scenario under campaign mode.
Unknown Civilization Hex-editing Tutorial:
  1. Create a new scenario and input your preferred tribe name, resource amount and AI behavior of all players.
  2. Change all players into Egyptian civilizations.
  3. Save the *.scn file and exit the game.
  4. Make a backup of the *.scn file.
  5. Open the *.scn file with a hex editor and delete the first 28 bytes of data at the beginning of the file.
  6. Decompress the altered *.scn file with AoK Trigger Studio(Tools->Raw decompress...).
  7. Open the decompressed file with a hex editor and search for the first 8 pairs of hex values "0100000004000000" and replace them with "0000000004000000".
  8. Compress the decompressed file again with AoK Trigger Studio (Tools->Raw compress...).
  9. Insert the previously deleted 28-byte-data from the backup file into the altered *.scn file.

Member of Tsunami Studios
Scenario T.C.: “Yes, the traitors can’t be terminated.”
Richard Ames: “Scenario_t_c should take care of them in a succinct but humorous fashion.”
Don Jorge de Leon: “Ave Trisolo! Vive Trisolo!”

[This message has been edited by Trisolo (edited 06-29-2009 @ 09:53 PM).]

Replies:
posted 06-19-09 07:22 AM ET (US)     1 / 23  
It's about time.

For the resources I would say 99999 since it's unable to gather resources. What about AI and per? Those will also change the civ right?

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
posted 06-19-09 07:26 AM ET (US)     2 / 23  
I don't think you can designate animals as explorers and gatherers, so I don't see a point to PERs... will they build like regular civs? And is there really no possibility of an RoR version?

[/Your Reign]
Take that, Player 2!
posted 06-19-09 10:09 AM ET (US)     3 / 23  
It's about time.

For the resources I would say 99999 since it's unable to gather resources. What about AI and per? Those will also change the civ right?
Why the angry face?

And yes, every setting at the player tab in the map editor will make the unknown civilization setting disappear.
will they build like regular civs? And is there really no possibility of an RoR version?
No-no, as said in the disadvantages. The building foundations would be made initially as usual, but the villager would never start building them.

Richard Ames: “Scenario_t_c should take care of them in a succinct but humorous fashion.”

[This message has been edited by Trisolo (edited 06-19-2009 @ 10:18 AM).]

posted 06-19-09 11:37 AM ET (US)     4 / 23  
Wow! This is crazy! I didn't know all this about the Unknown Civ, but now that we do know the attributes, the civ should be changed from Unknown to Totally Wacked Out.

And yes, it is about time, thank you very much for coming out with this at all, whether now or in a year.

The player should probably get 99999.

| The Slave Pits (4.8) MMC 1st Place | The Fate of Inraya Teaser (4.5) | The Parting Gift | Computer Wars Pack |
"Never experienced any of his revolutionary scenarios, but dang if he isn't charismatic when he speaks!" -Aro
Voted AoEH's Most Helpful Forumer 2009!

Ninetails, of all the forumers you seen to have the inabillity to feel hate against your fellow man. A noble trait, treasure it. -Gumble
posted 06-19-09 05:57 PM ET (US)     5 / 23  
By "player name," do you mean where "Nebuchadnezzar" or whoever would end up on the score list for the Babylonian civilization?

◓◓◓◓◓
posted 06-19-09 06:58 PM ET (US)     6 / 23  
What else?

I would think the building foundation placement would be higher priority than this but cool.

"Mrcheeze your genius but not quite a Gumble-kind-of genius." - Gumble
"We're all friendly here except MrCheeze but he means well" - Ninetales (Not exact words)
"Gumble has no words for you, you’re boring now. -underrated- that’s a joke, Gumble is OVERSTATED." - Gumble
(Not even sure what he was saying there)
posted 06-19-09 08:18 PM ET (US)     7 / 23  
Where is the Unknown name set?

The Dark Archer

"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein
"I once met a girl who looked like a camel" - Rasteve
Death of the Morads | AoEH Design Series II | Out From the Cliffs
posted 06-19-09 11:51 PM ET (US)     8 / 23  
If no player name is input, there should normally be a pre-set name appear fro that player, but for unknown civilization it means a game crash.

posted 06-20-09 01:11 PM ET (US)     9 / 23  
How about "?" for the name?

| The Slave Pits (4.8) MMC 1st Place | The Fate of Inraya Teaser (4.5) | The Parting Gift | Computer Wars Pack |
"Never experienced any of his revolutionary scenarios, but dang if he isn't charismatic when he speaks!" -Aro

Ninetails, of all the forumers you seen to have the inabillity to feel hate against your fellow man. A noble trait, treasure it. -Gumble
posted 06-21-09 02:53 PM ET (US)     10 / 23  
A tutorial would probably be better actually.

"Mrcheeze your genius but not quite a Gumble-kind-of genius." - Gumble
"We're all friendly here except MrCheeze but he means well" - Ninetales (Not exact words)
"Gumble has no words for you, you’re boring now. -underrated- that’s a joke, Gumble is OVERSTATED." - Gumble
(Not even sure what he was saying there)
posted 06-21-09 09:27 PM ET (US)     11 / 23  
If no player name is input, there should normally be a pre-set name appear fro that player, but for unknown civilization it means a game crash.
So is the Unknown in the language.dll, empires.dat or the exe file itself?

The Dark Archer

"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein
posted 06-21-09 11:14 PM ET (US)     12 / 23  
Most likely in the scenario itself, if nothing else was typed in this would normally be a number that would point to a name in the language file, but otherwise it's kept in the scenario file. Since you can't touch anything in the player panel, the name has to be preset (hacked into the scenario).

Am I right? Do I get the prize?

posted 06-21-09 11:59 PM ET (US)     13 / 23  
I am sorry, what you said was right, but you don't get a prize. This is because TDA was asking whether he can modify the name "unknown" itself, but actually it should be some kind of error message generated by Window.

posted 06-22-09 11:00 AM ET (US)     14 / 23  
Too bad it doesn't work for RoR...
automatic map-exploring
I think I can put this to great use, for example you have to rely on a eagle/hawk to call for backup at an allied village, or spy on the enemy (Odins Ravens IIRC, AoM), although it would be rather tricky since you have limited control. Anyone remember the "pidgeon trick/effect" from Ingo's mongolian entry btw?

Names: Gaia, Nature, Native...

Resources: Default values 200W, 200F, 150S, 0G or the 2 others (all 0, all 99999).
the name has to be preset (hacked into the scenario)
As for tribe name and resources, AI and PER, you can always change these through hex-editing (without losing the unknown), right?

Good to see you're continueing this
posted 06-22-09 11:30 AM ET (US)     15 / 23  
*Squeal*

May I have one with a few Unknown players, named Wild Beasts and Wild Men, for example? 99999 of each resource too, please.

If you could make a step-by-step tutorial for this that would be really awesome.

Nacht Jaeger - Ex AoEH Angel
posted 06-22-09 01:59 PM ET (US)     16 / 23  
You'll make all players the unknown civ right? If so we can actually have 8 different names.

Also, how does different ages affect the unknown player?

//The warrior of Isola

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris

[This message has been edited by Fruktfisk (edited 06-22-2009 @ 02:00 PM).]

posted 06-22-09 10:34 PM ET (US)     17 / 23  
Off-topic, but can you hex-edit more individual VC's into a scenario? It only allows you to input twelve per player, but maybe more could be hacked into it.

posted 06-27-09 11:43 AM ET (US)     18 / 23  
I will look into the VC issue, but I am here to announce that the testing version is going to be uploaded tomorrow.

posted 06-27-09 01:31 PM ET (US)     19 / 23  
Thanks. I'm looking forward to your upload, I'd love to use it in my follow-up to The Demention.

[This message has been edited by Ninetails (edited 06-27-2009 @ 01:31 PM).]

posted 06-29-09 06:50 AM ET (US)     20 / 23  
A fun fact is that the unknown players artifacts and ruins are coloured grey, but their icons remain player-coloured.

//The warrior of Isola

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
posted 06-29-09 11:34 AM ET (US)     21 / 23  
What all are the scenarios in the pack here? There are a whole bunch of them. Nice work btw.

Nacht Jaeger - Ex AoEH Angel
posted 06-29-09 07:45 PM ET (US)     22 / 23  
I think I'll have to look into this a bit more.

The Dark Archer

posted 07-01-09 07:20 PM ET (US)     23 / 23  
Looked into it more and it turns out I was right. The civ name Unknown is set in the language.dll. In face it is right under Choson. Line 10240 if I remember correctly.

The Dark Archer

Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Modding » Unknown Civilization Template & Dat
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames