You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Modding
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Does AoE support only bitmaps done with Paint? (includes Gimp tutorial)
posted 06-17-15 01:29 PM ET (US)   
Hello again for long time AoEH,

I'm currently making a scenario (or campaign) which I want to include nice bitmap(s). As Windows Paint doesn't support color transparency, I used both Paint and GIMP to make a bitmap. I copy paste objects which doesn't work well in Paint but in GIMP it does. But the problem is when I see the bitmap ingame it looks all screwed up. The drawings done with Paint looks as they should, but the other things are all mess. The image in non-game looks fine like this:

http://aijaa.com/XvZeix

But ingame it looks like this:

http://aijaa.com/I8nl3V

Not sure if it's because of GIMP, but is there any other image creating programs that would let the image look as it should ingame or is there any way to solve this problem with GIMP?
And like I asked in the title, does AoE only support bitmaps done with Paint?

[This message has been edited by Oldroman (edited 06-17-2015 @ 02:11 PM).]

Replies:
posted 06-17-15 09:05 PM ET (US)     1 / 14  
Any image editor will do. It looks like you're having the wrong export settings. I'm not exactly sure which bitmap format AoE uses but I'd guess it's 256 colors. I've never used GIMP but it definitely has an option to choose something like 256 instead of 24bit (which it probably uses by default, causing weird colors when interpreted by the old game).
posted 06-17-15 10:51 PM ET (US)     2 / 14  
I think rainbow dash is onto something, I use gimp for bitmaps too and I initially had the same problem. I think it is to do with the 256 color thing and exporting. I always choose to flatten the image when I save it.

Too many people say far too much about Gumble. They also claim Gumble says far too much which isnt true.

One man's truth is another man's lie. Seek TRUTH to escape this moral mire.

'Experts' try to analyse human behaviour and the human condition and make grand conclusions. - Its the same as the guy who explains why a joke is funny and kills the joke.
posted 06-18-15 00:33 AM ET (US)     3 / 14  
Here's how to do it in GIMP

0. You should have mapdefault.bmp open (duh). If you don't have it open in GIMP yet, open it now.

1. Make sure the Palettes dialog is open. If it is not open, open it now:
Windows > Dockable Dialogs > Palettes

2. Import the palette from mapdefault.bmp.
  • In the Palettes dialog, open the menu (top right corner of the dialog box, the button that looks like a triangle in a box)
  • Palettes Menu > Import Palette...

• Select the Image radio button
  • Pick mapdefault.bmp
  • Click Import

• Now there should appear an entry in the in the list of Palettes named "[mapdefault] (imported) (256)" or something like that, or a custom name if you had chosen to rename it earlier.

•  
    3. Convert images into 256 colors BEFORE pasting into the map. You need to do the conversion first or else it will very likely come out wrong.
  • Open the image in GIMP and do all the edits you want (e.g. painting stuff, cropping things out, scaling to size, etc.), remember to save versions of the image as you go along so you don't lose all your work if something messes up.
  • Once you are ready to put it into the actual map, do a final save as the next few steps will permanently change/combine stuff together.
  • Merge visible layers (ctrl+M)
  • Now the actual converting:
  • First, Image > Mode > RGB if it is not already in RGB mode.
  • Next, Image > Mode > Indexed...

• Select the Use custom palette radio button
  • Click the palette icon and scroll until you find the entry for [mapdefault] (imported) and select that. (Or type the palette name into the text field)
  • MAKE SURE that Remove unused colors from colormap is NOT selected. If it is selected, click on the check box to unselect it. (This is really important, because if you remove any color then the rest of the colors will be out of order and everything will come out WRONG!)
  • Select the desired dithering settings.
  • Click Convert. The image will then be converted, and after conversion is done you can now copy the image into mapdefault without messing up the colors.

•  
    Dithering Settings
    At the time of this writing, GIMP lets you choose the dithering method from one of these 4 presets:
    - None
    - Floyd Steinberg
    - Floyd Steinberg Reduced Color Bleeding
    - Positioned
    You can also choose whether or not to dither transparency.

There is no best dithering setting. It depends massively on the image being converted. If it looks bad after conversion, undo (ctrl+Z) and then do the conversion again with different dithering settings.

Export Settings: When exporting, under compatibility options do not write color space information.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!          
    The best stuff I made for Age of Empires:
     Composite Editor 1.1 Rated 5.0 ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ (Utility)
     Coke vs. Pepsi Rated 4.4 ★ ★ ★ ★ ⅖ (Multi player scenario)
     The Map of the World (Real world map)
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by zapdotep (edited 06-20-2015 @ 01:03 AM).]

posted 06-18-15 06:08 AM ET (US)     4 / 14  
    I did it step by step, and after even few own changes it worked.

I'm not sure if the mods are going to delete this thread now that the answer is clear, but it would be useful to me or someone else take a look at here how it was done.

Thanks a lot!

Edit: In case you're wondering, I did those own changes in export settings which about Rainbow Dash mentioned.

Ok, have to remember these 3 things:

1. Must convert adding images to 256 colors
    2. Must convert the image itself to 256 colors
    3. Must set the export settings right (not let GIMP write color space information) by checking a box

Btw, I know this puts things upside down but I noticed that also Paint screws up the image and because I can't use Paint properly I just use GIMP.

[This message has been edited by Oldroman (edited 06-18-2015 @ 01:56 PM).]

posted 06-19-15 02:47 AM ET (US)     5 / 14  
    How did you find my 21st party picture zappy!?

Too many people say far too much about Gumble. They also claim Gumble says far too much which isnt true.

'Experts' try to analyse human behaviour and the human condition and make grand conclusions. - Its the same as the guy who explains why a joke is funny and kills the joke.
    posted 06-20-15 01:03 AM ET (US)     6 / 14  
    Yes, that is important. I will add the export setting box. Thanks for pointing that out.

Gumble, the picture is from your "avatar" (circled in red below)

posted 06-20-15 02:09 AM ET (US)     7 / 14  
    The joke came and flew right by...

posted 06-20-15 04:21 PM ET (US)     8 / 14  
    This might be little offtopic, but as the other forumer did a thread about their upcoming campaign, I think it's not mimicry if I made a thread aswell about my small 3 scenario campaign about an fictional ancient civilization?

Could make the thread pretty quick and put it here at the Scenario Design forum part.

And the campaign thread would be in much smaller scale ofcourse.

I'm still not sure however.

If no one says nothing or oppose I'm allowed, yes?
    posted 06-20-15 05:31 PM ET (US)     9 / 14  
    of course! that is what the scenario design forum is all about. We would be delighted to hear about what you are planning.

delighted, deilluminated, debrightened, and deirradiated.

posted 06-20-15 06:32 PM ET (US)     10 / 14  
    The joke came and flew right by...
    But only a Villager can kill it

campaign thread
    Do it. Do it do it do it

posted 06-21-15 04:21 AM ET (US)     11 / 14  
    Good to hear that, from both of you. Might be able to put it here in few days or even today.

[This message has been edited by Oldroman (edited 06-22-2015 @ 02:14 AM).]

posted 06-22-15 07:56 AM ET (US)     12 / 14  
    Well, I feel the information included in this thread is quite useful for us all, so I think this deserves to get sticky. After all even though the tutorial is for GIMP, photoshop is similar enough to be useful for the latter too.
    posted 08-11-21 03:17 PM ET (US)     13 / 14  
    This is a pretty helpful thread.

I am trying to think of what is the best way to depict different territories on a map, like Armenia vs. Rome vs. Persia. I guess that the official AOE maps put color shades on top of the default brown terrain, so that it becomes colored hues of brown. But I don't know how to do this with Windows '98 Paint, or for that matter other programs like GIMP.

I asked about it here:
    What is the best way to draw different kingdoms' territories on your Instruction screen maps?
    https://aoe.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aoecgi/display.cgi?action=st&fn=4&tn=6687&st=recent&f=4,6687,0,10
    posted 08-12-21 06:35 AM ET (US)     14 / 14  
    AoE uses different palettes which are all limited to 256 colors including the palette for the instruction bitmap - it will pick the closest matching color automatically. No matter what you do you cannot circumvent this or get more colors, you have to work within this limit.

Paint is very limited in every regard, it's good enough to get the job done but if you really want higher quality your best option is to learn to use Gimp (use youtube tutorials).
    Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Modding » Does AoE support only bitmaps done with Paint? (includes Gimp tutorial)
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames