You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Bought new router and now can't see LAN games. Seeking for help.
posted 02-02-15 04:16 PM ET (US)   
Hello, everybody! I'm not native english speaker (Russia).

Well, what do i have. My PC and wife's laptop. There was ASUS RT-N10U B1 router which worked just fine. We could play LAN game in AoE:RoR. Everything was nice and dandy. But there're tons of other routers in my building that interphere with my 2.4 ghz signal and sometimes laptop got dropped off my RT-N10U. So i bought D-Link DIR-825 to get better performance. Works good, no problems with speed, stable wi-fi and so on. But now we just can't see each other on the LAN. Only in AoE game. We checked Age of Mythology — LAN works. In Windows (both have Win7 x64) ping command works, we can share files etc., etc. I mean, router has nothing to do with my problem... i guess.

There's interesting moment. With ASUS our IP adressess were 192.168.1.54 and 192.168.1.145 respectively. So i tried to set up IP adressess manually (1.54 and 1.145) with the new router. And my wife could see my game but could not connect because her game got frozen. Does the game keep network preferences somewhere on my computer? I've uninstalled AoE with Total Uninstall twice. Then manually checked registry for any chunks that game could leave and removed them. But no results.
The only thing i suspect that i didn't change SSID on the new router and made it the same as on the old one. And somehow it affected game's preferences (For example, game may keep some network adapter data, i don't know).

Any clues? I'd really appreciate any help with that (Just can't play AoE 2. It's even more hardcore to me than Empire Earth)

Thank you in advance.

[This message has been edited by Bratken (edited 02-02-2015 @ 04:23 PM).]

Replies:
posted 02-02-15 11:17 PM ET (US)     1 / 4  
Hi Brakten!

i'm sure the other guys will bring answers to your questions.

Anyways, did you ever try using a multiplayer client to play ?
They have native router bypass, i think you should give a try.

http://www.voobly.com
or
http://www.gameranger.com
posted 02-03-15 05:19 PM ET (US)     2 / 4  
Thanks, Max_CRAZY. Hope it'll help.

By the way. Tried to connect PC and laptop directly using ethernet ports – same result.
posted 02-06-15 08:21 AM ET (US)     3 / 4  
Well, Voobly crashed my game but GameRanger works. So i guess, every program that uses it's own VPN, or what networks do they use, would work (Hamachi, Tunngle, Garena, Steam, TeamViewer, etc.). But it's strange that real LAN doesn't work. I'm ok with playing via gameranger but it feels like getting home through the window instead of the door
Any thoughts?

UPD: I think i found the issue. Somehow my problem is connected with DHCP. I used Static DHCP for laptop's IP via MAC-adress and now AoE on laptop can see my AoE on PC. I repeat that i had this problem only with AoE:ROR. Other games work fine.

[This message has been edited by Bratken (edited 02-06-2015 @ 08:30 AM).]

posted 02-26-15 02:23 PM ET (US)     4 / 4  
Nope, static DHCP worked once. And GameRanger gave me sync errors and i have to be connected to the internet all the time.
But this time i really found solution (also helped with sync error). I turned off UPnP IGD in advanced options and firewall in my WAN connection options. Now game works as it worked with ASUS RT-N10U and even without any "out of sync" errors and even in normal mode instead of safe mode in Windows. Spent whole month to figure that out. Now i have 100% working AoE RoR with Upatch 1.1 beta2. Tried 3 vs. 4 oh huge map and gigantic. Both comps have Win7 x64. No compatibility. BTW tried to launch the game on 8.1 on virtualbox — doesn't work at all. Best are XP and 7. I've tested both OS.

[This message has been edited by Bratken (edited 02-26-2015 @ 02:28 PM).]

Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome » Bought new router and now can't see LAN games. Seeking for help.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames