Bottom
Topic Subject: Mission of Our Lady of the Villagers
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 12-03-05 05:37 PM ET (US)   
"The Mission of Our Lady of the Villagers"
formerly OUR LADY OF THE INQUISITION MISSION

Welcome to the Parish.

I'm Abbot Patrick, head of the Order.

This is a Christian Mission, but all faiths and beliefs (even the lack of one) are welcome in this place.

" You have been told, O man, what is good,
and what the Lord requires of you;
Only to do the right and to love goodness,
and to walk humbly with our God."

-Micah 6:8

------------------------------------------------------------

The confessional is open 24/7 ; if there is anything you feel you MUST get off your shoulders, either post it here, or email me (if you do not wish to share your sins with the public radiantmary@aol.com ). I will post your penance here weekly.

Readings for Sunday will also be posted (if I'm given permission). Even if I am not given permission to post the actual readings, I'll give you to Book, chapter, and verse of the Sunday readings as so

Book Chapter:Verse

Finally, a last note, I AM NOT A REAL ABBOT. Do NOT tell me real sins of yours, that should be left to God and the clergy of the true church. Confessions are for AoE sins ONLY.

This parish is open to all races, creeds, sexes, and nationalities (including you, Phil ). Feel free to attend!

Songs of the Church
-------------------
Amazing Grace:
http://www.breadsite.org/midi/Amazing_Grace-4_(bagpipes).mid
When the Saints Come Marching In (New Orleans Jazz-like):http://www.breadsite.org/midi/When_The_Saints_Go_Marching_In.mid
Were you There:
http://www.breadsite.org/midi/wereyo.mid
Swing Low, Sweet Chariot:
http://www.breadsite.org/midi/Swing_Low_Sweet_Chariot.mid

Readings for the Christmas Day:

Is 52:7-10

Ps 98:1, 2-3, 3-4, 5-6

Heb 1:1-6

Jn 1:1-18 or 1:1-5, 9-14

If you are a Christian and unable to attend Mass, please read these.

I also plan to "read" these on Christmas Day and give a sermon. (Don't worry, Phil, I come to give life, not take life. )

Those associated with the Church:
-Philip of England (Phill Phree), Holy Agean Emporer

If you feel like reading them for the fun of it, too, feel free to. The stories in the Bible are rather intriguing if nothing else.

*Note: These readings come from the New American Bible (RC).

Happy Christmas all, and God Bless you!

[This message has been edited by HeroPatrick 111 (edited 12-18-2005 @ 08:27 PM).]

Replies:
posted 12-03-05 07:48 PM ET (US)     1 / 57  
A paradoxical sin: I'm an atheist.

Y'see, its not a sin unless I believe in god, which I don't, so its not a sin

DR LORENZO
AoEH | Woad Creations Alumni
I of course meant bastard in a positive way! - Kor
I just sort of chop away at it when it gets long enough. The ladies love it. - Obese, on shaving
Lorenzo is kind of like that relative everyone knows about but won't talk about. - Crimson Knight
We already knew about the mass murders and gang rapes and ethnic cleansings, but now they've resorted to ENCRYPTING PEOPLES ELECTRONIC DOCUMENTS! - drahnier
posted 12-03-05 08:49 PM ET (US)     2 / 57  

Quoted from 1st Post:

Dr Lorenzo

*phew!*
-----------------------

Quote:

Y'see, its not a sin unless I believe in god, which I don't, so its not a sin

Neither do the Buddhists. (or at least the Theravada Buddhists).

and do you not mean by this "paradox" that its a sin to believe in a foreign god other than God?

I do not know if it is or not a sin to belive in nothing. The Lord only said,"You shall not have other gods besides me." (Exodus 20:3)

As I say, this is a place for penance of the earhtly gamer, not the divine soul , sadly.

But around here, feel free to be serenaded by the sound of God.

[This message has been edited by HeroPatrick 111 (edited 12-03-2005 @ 08:57 PM).]

posted 12-03-05 10:07 PM ET (US)     3 / 57  

Quote:

and do you not mean by this "paradox" that its a sin to believe in a foreign god other than God?

No, I mean I don't believe in *any* god, which would be a sin only if I believed in god.

Quote:

But around here, feel free to be serenaded by the sound of God.

No thanks

Nice thread though.

DR LORENZO
I just sort of chop away at it when it gets long enough. The ladies love it. - Obese, on shaving
Lorenzo is kind of like that relative everyone knows about but won't talk about. - Crimson Knight
We already knew about the mass murders and gang rapes and ethnic cleansings, but now they've resorted to ENCRYPTING PEOPLES ELECTRONIC DOCUMENTS! - drahnier
posted 12-03-05 11:51 PM ET (US)     4 / 57  

Quote:

No, I mean I don't believe in *any* god, which would be a sin only if I believed in god.

I see what you are saying. And you're right. I dunno how right, but the ultimate decider of the question of atheism is in His eyes. *points up*

Quote:

No thanks

Very well. I won't force it on you, but He's always here if you ever change you mind.

Quote:

Nice thread though.

I thank you, my son.

[This message has been edited by HeroPatrick 111 (edited 12-03-2005 @ 11:55 PM).]

posted 12-04-05 00:39 AM ET (US)     5 / 57  

Quote:

the ultimate decider of the question of atheism is in His eyes. *points up*

I'm not going to start a religious debate here, so I'll just say that I think he might be blind

DR LORENZO
posted 12-04-05 03:55 AM ET (US)     6 / 57  
oh, I'm sorry, my condolences.

I said I wasn't going to push it on you, and I won't.

posted 12-04-05 10:34 AM ET (US)     7 / 57  
Considering Phill's view on these matters, I think we should just leave all religious debate out of this thread.

CenturionZ_1
HG Angel
AoEH Staff

'In heaven an angel is nobody in particular.' - George Bernard Shaw
Age of Empires Heaven Agetoons About Me
posted 12-04-05 10:35 AM ET (US)     8 / 57  
No one ever said it was a sin not to believe in God. At least not that I know of.

On topic:

I just played scenario number 2 of 'A short history of lost sumeria'. At the end, the only victory condition left was to destroy one of the two Elam government centers, and to build a balista tower on the ashes. I already made my way to the first center and destroyed it, even already built the tower. However, I decided not to upgrade to balista tower yet. I thought "let's do the rest aswell". But then I got frustrated, as my forces kept being destroyed by outstorming cavalry and I was near the pop cap. After some time, I just clicked the upgrade and won without doing the rest. It's not that I would have had to, but.... I didn't do everything I could in an Andrea Rosa campaign. I'd say that is a sin.

Please, what should I do, Abbot Patrick?

While sausages are tasty, you might cut your finger with that pencil over there.
posted 12-04-05 11:39 AM ET (US)     9 / 57  
In many ways, I don't believe in god either. But in saying that, I guess that means that I believe in all gods, cuz I think that thier all connected to one another.

Ack!
posted 12-04-05 11:38 PM ET (US)     10 / 57  

Quote:

I just played scenario number 2 of 'A short history of lost sumeria'. At the end, the only victory condition left was to destroy one of the two Elam government centers, and to build a balista tower on the ashes. I already made my way to the first center and destroyed it, even already built the tower. However, I decided not to upgrade to balista tower yet. I thought "let's do the rest aswell". But then I got frustrated, as my forces kept being destroyed by outstorming cavalry and I was near the pop cap. After some time, I just clicked the upgrade and won without doing the rest. It's not that I would have had to, but.... I didn't do everything I could in an Andrea Rosa campaign. I'd say that is a sin.

LittleFreak: I believe you have been humbled already, my son. You thought that you could crush your enemy to pulp when the creator only mandated that you destroy the government centers and build ballista towers over the rubble. I'm betting that Andrea probably playtested it many times and was unable to defeat the hoardes of cavalry himself, so he decided to make the goal possible. You, however, tried to outthink the maker. That is your first sin.

Your second was not taking the fall and letting your army be consumed by cavvies. Rather than duking it out like a true Ager, you took the easy way out and research bally tower. If you plan to carry something out, FIGHT UNTIL THE FIGHT is either won, or until you are defeated. It is better to lose an honest battle than to make a dishonest conclusion. Not to say that the technologies are cheats (not if you need them ), but you must choose from two choices: Either complete the objectives as given to you and win (proper), or disobey directions and lose a humiliating defeat to computer AI.

Your penance: 3 "Our Father"s and 3 "Glory Be"s,
OR
replay the scneario using only Tool Age Units (axemen, bowmen, and scouts), and ONLY following Andrea explicit instuctions. If the enemy beats you into the dust, your penance is made. If somehow you rise to the occasion and suceed, I will make you my chief warrior.

posted 12-04-05 11:40 PM ET (US)     11 / 57  

Quote:

Considering Phill's view on these matters, I think we should just leave all religious debate out of this thread.

He's not alone either.

DR LORENZO
posted 12-05-05 00:40 AM ET (US)     12 / 57  
I allow all people in here, BUT NOT TO DEGRADE THE RELIGION OF OTHERS. That can be saved for the LLT.

I allow religious freedom here.

Debate on religion COULD be allowed if it were not to go to the point of anger and fisticuffs, but that's the mods' call, not mine.

posted 12-05-05 02:02 AM ET (US)     13 / 57  
Thank you, Abbot Patrick. I will take your second advice. The green forces will most likely beat me to death, but I'll try my best. Thank you for your wisdom.

---

I'm thinking we should not talk about religion here. Trust me, it WILL end in anger and fisticuffs. So let's better not do it, but enjoy the topic instead. You should all follow my example and post a sin of your own.

I'll go playing with Tool Age units now.

*edit*

I put up a good fight I must say.

I actually managed to keep Elam from destroying the Temple of Nippur, have some watch towers defend the entrance of my base and I even got the artifact from the priests (though all three scouts had to sacrifice). However, a bug made me loose: the artifact got brown before it was inside the walled in area. Too bad. I was really good. I might even have won over time, although sieging Kis without siege weapons would be a hard thing to do.

By the way, I wonder how Andrea got that Elephant to block the door as soon as you get the artifact.

While sausages are tasty, you might cut your finger with that pencil over there.

[This message has been edited by LittleFreak (edited 12-05-2005 @ 02:36 AM).]

posted 12-05-05 03:50 AM ET (US)     14 / 57  
I'm an athiest too, which means I disbelieve in all gods (slightly different from non-religious, which is not believing in any god. From what I read there are only around 1% of us or less!)

Anyway, I have a sin to confess. This little newb fellow called Twoopie kept bugging me on MSN. He was asking me what a 'twigger' was and such, and so I locked him in a sheep pen and walked off. It's been several days, and I wonder if anyone let him out. I haven't seen him around for ages, and I'm beginning to conjure up bad images...

I mean there were some sheep in the pen, but he's not a villager, so he may not be able to gather from them. It seemed like a funny idea at the time, but I fear I may have done a horrible thing!

Richard Wilde
rswilde01(at)gmail(dot)com
Skype - Gmail - Firefox
Wikipedia
Review Thread - AoKH - GenieWiki
posted 12-05-05 04:03 AM ET (US)     15 / 57  
I'm also an atheist.

Anyway, I have a sin: I haven't played AoE properly in nearly a month!

DR LORENZO
posted 12-05-05 04:49 AM ET (US)     16 / 57  
I have sinned. I purposely search the granary for easy scenarios because they are more likely to be n00bic, easy and quick thus I am unfair to my fellow reviewers who honestly play hard and time consuming scenarios and campaigns. I am especially unfair to Nanaki who is my closest rival in the reviewers team when I play this quick scenarios I gain more points easyer and faster.

The Dark Archer

"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein
"I once met a girl who looked like a camel" - Rasteve
Death of the Morads | AoEH Design Series II | Out From the Cliffs
posted 12-05-05 07:24 AM ET (US)     17 / 57  

Quote:

I have sinned. I purposely search the granary for easy scenarios because they are more likely to be n00bic, easy and quick thus I am unfair to my fellow reviewers who honestly play hard and time consuming scenarios and campaigns. I am especially unfair to Nanaki who is my closest rival in the reviewers team when I play this quick scenarios I gain more points easyer and faster.

Reviewer's Team, eh? That's sounds suspicious unto itself.

Well, my son, it is a sin to slack off in any work you do. Trus me. I fail to do much work around my own house, and people get very angry with me.

Your penance:

Two Our Fathers
OR
If you have not done so already, play and review the campaign "Rise of Egypt". It is so long and boring that after a while, you will want to shoot yourself. But don't. Play it all the way through and review it
OR
Confess this to your Reviewer's Team, not to me. If you are punished at their hands, you will have to deal with the punishment.

Tell me when you have completed any task given above.

posted 12-05-05 08:11 AM ET (US)     18 / 57  
I, as self-proclamed vice-leader of the Reviewers board, suggest that your punishment may be to review Rise of Fiji.

posted 12-05-05 09:01 AM ET (US)     19 / 57  
I'm not an atheist. Atheists say they have PROOF that thier is no god. I believe there is SOMETHING like a god, and that the religions of islam, christianity, budism, judaism, and all the rest of them are interpretations of the real thing. So, I believe in that thing, whatever it is, and that makes kinda believe in everything. But that doesn't mean that I believe the world was made in seven days, because I KNOW that a world can't be made in seven days.

Ack!
posted 12-05-05 09:07 AM ET (US)     20 / 57  
hello, chaps. It's the Abbot using his school u-name.

hehehe, how diabolical, LittleFreak.

Quoted from Lorenzo:

Anyway, I have a sin: I haven't played AoE properly in nearly a month!

Define properly.

Quoted from Richard Ames:

Anyway, I have a sin to confess. This little newb fellow called Twoopie kept bugging me on MSN. He was asking me what a 'twigger' was and such, and so I locked him in a sheep pen and walked off. It's been several days, and I wonder if anyone let him out. I haven't seen him around for ages, and I'm beginning to conjure up bad images...

I mean there were some sheep in the pen, but he's not a villager, so he may not be able to gather from them. It seemed like a funny idea at the time, but I fear I may have done a horrible thing!

You have gravely sinned against your fellow Ager, Richard.
The LORD (of AoE) frowns upon you for this hanous act. Although he was a n00b (which I understand is a hard person to deal with), it was a bad idea to lock him in there. You could have just asked him to leave you alone. If you had tried that, you could try to answer him.

Your penance:

Two Our Fathers for mistreating a fellow Ager.
OR
Go back to the sheep's pen, see if he's there. If he his, tribute him 100 food. If not, then kill a sheep and don't gather from it. Let it die and rot. This is an offering for the suffering (and perhaps death) you've caused to a fellow human being.
Also, in either of the cases above, your bad feeling comes from the guilt of imprisoning the innocent, and it is partial penance in itself.
-----------------------------------------------------------
BTW, I hope you didn't do this in real life.
Is this AoK (you are referring to) as I suspect it is?
-----------------------------------------------------------

posted 12-05-05 09:51 AM ET (US)     21 / 57  

Quote:

Debate on religion COULD be allowed if it were not to go to the point of anger and fisticuffs, but that's the mods' call, not mine

My take on it is very simple. Always has been, despite the dishonest attempts by certain people to try and claim otherwise.

I object to prosletysing, insulting accusations against the unbeliever and harassment of them, which is sadly all too common, and, worst of all, those who defend their beliefs with lies about others who don't share them.

On that note, a correction;

Quoted from Blunt Axe:

Atheists say they have PROOF that thier is no god

Um, no, they don't. Athiesm is a lack of belief, just as Asexual means neither one nor the other and Apolitical means having no political allegiances. The A means absence of, nothing more.

Like I said, believe what you want but do not misrepresent others. That is a disgusting practice and the religious are all too often guilty of it.

Otherwise, carry on.

My Karma ran over my Dogma

AoEH | EEH | RoNH | IndividualsCAN

posted 12-05-05 03:32 PM ET (US)     22 / 57  
Thank you, Philip. And for such chivalrous behaviour, I will coronate thee Holy Agean Emperor (H.A.E.), once I get back into my home account.

Hey, chivalry is universal.

[This message has been edited by Abbot_Patrick (edited 12-05-2005 @ 03:32 PM).]

posted 12-05-05 07:00 PM ET (US)     23 / 57  
I have returned home.

Now for the coronation!

---------------------------

*Phil walks up to the altar*

*Phil kneels before the Abbot*

*Abbot pulls out crown*

*puts crown on Phil's head*

I dub thee...

Philip of England, Holy Agean Emperor!

posted 12-05-05 07:07 PM ET (US)     24 / 57  
Who needs a knighthood, eh?

Not sure about Lady of the Inquisition, are you? Sounds like you're inviting people to their own trial. A more welcoming name maybe?

My Karma ran over my Dogma

AoEH | EEH | RoNH | IndividualsCAN

posted 12-05-05 08:20 PM ET (US)     25 / 57  
Personally, I like it. It seems rather condemning. >:-)

However, yeh, a better name could be made.

How about:

Mission of Our Lady of Eternal Wisdom?

EDIT: In fact, why not hear from the people?

All Agers in the world, I ask of you: What do you wish the new church be called?

I call to you because your participation means much to me.

[This message has been edited by HeroPatrick 111 (edited 12-06-2005 @ 00:49 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Veni, Vidi, Vici » Mission of Our Lady of the Villagers
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames