Back to Age of Empires Heaven Welcome to The Granary (Download Central)
Welcome
Downloads Home
Review Guidelines
Main site
Forums
Code of Conduct
Search

Advanced Search
Rise of Rome: Single Player Campaigns
Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Battles of Antiquity

Author File Description
Apollonius_2
File Details
Number of Scenarios: 3
Difficulty: Mod-Hard
This campaign includes three historical battles: The Sea Peoples invasion of Egypt, Battle of Marathon, and Cyrus the Greats conquest of Babylon. Includes highly detailed maps, instruction maps and ai files. The Sea Peoples invasion scenario was taken from another of my campaigns called 'Land of the Pharoahs'. If you enjoy 'Battles of Antiquity' scenario please e-mail me. Thanks
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
c4master
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5
Balance5.0
Creativity3.5
Map Design4.5
Story/Instructions4.5
Playability: 4.5
Battles Of Antiquity is a campaign which really rocks! It can be a little bit frustrating for weak players and it has one little bug in the last scenario, but every time I failed I tried to do better next time. And I did. :D The three scenarios differ a lot from each other and you always need some key strategy to win them. In the last scenario it is somewhat odd that you need Tiberius to win but when he gets killed you will not instantly lose but rather just not be able to win the scenario. In the second scenario the "plains" are a bit hard to find.

Balance: 5
Awesome! Each scenario I failed at least once but then I started again and I succeeded. That's what I like the best. It is fair but sometimes very tough. The second scenario is a little bit easier than the other two but still a good challange. Very well done!

Creativity: 3.5
Creativity is the weak point of this campaign. Although the name "Battles Of Antiquity" already implies that the focus lies on battles here, I would have wished to get some more puzzles or easter eggs. There is a few eye candy and there are different victory conditions in each scenario. Yet, there is nothing really special about it, except that it is outstandingly good, of course. ;-)

Map Design: 4.5
The maps look great. Even without design tricks the maps are very nice and they fit the scenario. I guess, they are very similar to the real world in Greece or at Babylon. Additionally they are used very well to make the campaign extremely hard to win. Especially in the first scenario the elevations are really nasty.
You will have to use your brains to figure out a way to make use of elevations, forests or water by yourself rather than the enemy does.

Story/Instructions: 4.5
The author allows you to play three ancient battles of enormous importance and he also explains why these battles have been so important. He gives good hints and he tells you what to do a nice way. The bitmaps are good, too, but they could be improved a little bit.

Additional Comments:
download recommendation: Yes!

Go for it, this is one of the best campaigns when it comes to battles and build & destroy.
There are no puzzles, though.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5
Balance5.0