Back to Age of Empires Heaven Welcome to The Granary (Download Central)
Welcome
Downloads Home
Review Guidelines
Main site
Forums
Code of Conduct
Search

Advanced Search
Rise of Rome: Single Player Campaigns
Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Rise of Rome: Single Player Campaigns » Prophecy of the First King

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Prophecy of the First King

Author File Description
Ty Freeborn
File Details
Number of Scenarios: 7
Difficulty: Mod-Hard
Excerpt - scenario 1: --------------------- ... Standing at the waters edge, with smoke billowing in the distance you swear ultimate vengeance. You know that you cannot do it alone. You must seek help. And so it begins Natua. Over the next several years all of your skills will be taxed as you do what must be done to gather the strength, resources, and wisdom required to carry out your oath. You will change in every way. Of course physically, (at each level of skill you will adopt a new look and be stronger) but more importantly, you must change mentally. You must learn to build. You must learn to fight. You must learn to persuade. You must learn to lead! Excerpt - scenario 2: --------------------- ... Amon continues, "The prophecy Natua, tells of a common man, born without riches or public stature, who shall rise up from a small village, and strike fear into those who oppress. This man shall be wise and just, a leader among leaders, and the first of twenty-one great kings which shall rule wisely for some 500 years." Excerpt - scenario 7: --------------------- ... And so with the dawn, the day arrives to begin final judgment. Your ship, now sailing into the Keitoan harbor, will soon land. You sit alone in your small cabin aboard ship and review the maps of your past achievements spread out onto the table before you. Six times you've been tested, and six times you've prevailed. Each time, you've become a stronger, wiser, better man. And now, the evil Havoc, considered by many to be invincible, must be made to pay for his transgressions. But much more importantly, he must simply be stopped. As you recall the past several years you come to realize that all you have done, all you have learned, has lead to this moment. Natua, will you have the fortitude to prevail? Or is... The Prophecy of the First King... simply a myth?
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Angel OldGrex
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
TY FREEBORN IS THE NEWEST SUPERSTAR DESIGNER. This is a near-perfect campaign, clearly on a par with those of imhotep, Ingo van Thiel, Rich Parker, Hamlet, and Kyle Leach. A marvelous mix of great storytelling, elegant terrain and bitmaps, clever puzzles, and well-balanced battles -- mano-a-mano, medium and huge. Grow with Natua as he progresses in skill, wisdom and power -- learning from his mentor Amon, while exploring and shaping the world in which he lives. Help the Vicani overcome the evil Mor Havoc and the cruel Keitoans. Put together difficult amphibious campaigns to acquire crucial resources as you gradually fight your way to Mor Havoc's stronghold. The story, instructions and intro bitmaps are beautiful, integrated, relevant and compelling. The creativity is way above average. The nicely-varied victory conditions are intriguing. The timeliness of your actions and the way you balance your forces are usually the key to victory. No campaign in the Granary is better than this one, and few are its equal, IMHO. I really felt like I was helping Natua and Amon fulfill the prophecy: that there would come one day to save and lead the Vicani - Natua, The First King. <i>GREAT, GREAT CAMPAIGN. THANKS FOR GIVING IT TO US, MR. FREEBORN.
c4master
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
- Note, that this is a very old campaign. Thus, all my comments will be according to its age. Nowadays standards are much higher, but back in 1999 this was simply the state-of-the-art -

Playability: 5
What a great campaign! If you've ever played Age Of Empires, please re-install the game just to try out this wonderful masterpiece. There are no bugs in Ty Freeborn's fantasy campaign about a young man destined to become the first king. During the seven scenarios you will be doing a lot of things, facing many difficult tasks and all your skills will be required in order to eliminate the evil Mor Havoc. I had a lot of fun and I'm sure to play it again someday.

Balance: 5
Beware: "Prophecy Of The First King" is a very difficult campaign. I managed to pass all scenarios except the last one where I could defeat the Mercenaries but not conquer the Keitoan base (at least I tried for about one hour and didn't make any advances). Many scenarios I had to play more than once but if you know what to do and how to do it, they all seem fair to me.

Creativity: 5
From defending your base, escaping an attack, conquering a base to marine warfare you will get nearly everything you wish for. I would have liked to see some puzzles, too. Anyways, this is an old campaign and back then there have not been as many puzzles or diplimacy stuff as there is today. For a campaign from 1999 this one is really creative.

Map Design: 5
Again, remembering the age of this work, the maps are amazing. There are mixed forests, trees on cliffs, sometimes even forests where certain trees are placed or removed by hand. There is a lot of eye candy, too. Of course, it is more simple stuff like bridges, paths and trees, but still very nice. In the last two or three scenarios, there are even swamps. Very good work!

Story/Instructions: 5
Although the story itself isn't very imaginative, it is written well. Very well. Exceptionally well. then there come in extremely good hints and beautiful bitmaps (and useful, too). Great job, again!

Additional Comments:
If you haven't already played this campaign, please do so!

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0