Back to Age of Empires Heaven Welcome to The Granary (Download Central)
Welcome
Downloads Home
Review Guidelines
Main site
Forums
Code of Conduct
Search

Advanced Search
Age of Empires: Single Player Scenarios
Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Island Domination

Author File Description
AxiZ
File Details
Difficulty: Moderate
A cool map, many resources, kinda tricky Multiplayer also : Yes
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Richard Ames
Rating
Breakdown
Playability2.0
Balance1.5
Creativity2.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions2.5
Playability: 2

Island domination is a ‘foresty’ version of an islands type of random map. You are up against 3 AIs on other islands. The gameplay is fairly naval based, with normal B&D buildup at the start, not limited by the need to do any defending. Once you have advanced enough taking out the islands should become the priority, which is a combination of land and sea assault. I did not find it that enjoyable.

Balance: 1.5

The nature of the map makes it very difficult for the AI to attack. Your island is well defended, with cliffs on some sides, and very dense forests. The enemies do not attack your island much except perhaps a few stray ships. I found it very easy to boom unimpeded, and I didn’t have any problem dispatching the other players. The red player didn’t seem to even make a navy, while the others had reasonable AIs but were unable to pose any threat, and destroying them was fairly easy. I beat the map on the first attempt, it took me 90 minutes.

Creativity: 2

The map was an interesting but simple variation on a ‘small islands’ type of RM. The gameplay was little short of a normal islands RM as well, the forests making it a little harder to attack, and easier to defend. Some interesting elements like discovery and ruins will enhance the scenario on standard setting. The scenario overall is simple and not very creative.

Map Design: 3

Though it looks to be made by hand, it is very similar in appearance to a random map. It has resources placed in large clumps, which doesn’t make it very challenging. No invasion or colonization of other islands for resources is needed. There are some small embellishments like some waterfalls which add a little to the appearance. The map is not designed with strategy or difficulty in mind.

Story: 2.5

A brief and humourous story, consisting or a line in history and a line in the instructions, including the instructions in that line. No hints or bitmap.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability2.0
Balance1.5
Creativity2.0