Back to Age of Empires Heaven Welcome to The Granary (Download Central)
Welcome
Downloads Home
Review Guidelines
Main site
Forums
Code of Conduct
Search

Advanced Search
Rise of Rome: Single Player Scenarios
Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Around The Mountain

Author File Description
Minidraco
File Details
Difficulty: Hard
This scenerio is based on a Mountain, that why it calls "Around the mountain" You are send from your tribe to the Roman tribe to help the roman's. they seem to have problems, so you got to find them and help them with finding their Hero Tiberius, he has been captured by an enemy, so you got to find out where he is and bring him back, there are more victory goals This Scenario is made with 8 player's, so its sometime's really search for victory goals !!!
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
rakovsky
Rating
Breakdown
Playability2.0
Balance2.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions2.0
Playability: 2
Palmyra, Choson, and Babylonia are so hard, and you begin at almost max population, and you are stuck walking sometimes single file spiralling down along cliffs so that it's very hard and tedious.

I was able to beat it on EASIEST though after I got good enough to learn tricks in the game like how to use your catapults while making them dodge projectiles from opposing catapults. So it's a mission for above average players.

Balance: 2
Palmyra and Choson are too strong. In fact, considering that there are many enemies, Babylonia is too strong as well.

Like I said under PLAYABILITY, I was able to beat it on EASIEST, so it's a mission for Above Average Players. A skilled or tough player won't find it too hard to beat. If you do all the upgrades you can build up your catapults strongly enough to take out enemy towns.

Creativity: 5
It's very creative to have the path of circling down a mountain to free a hero. There is also a shortcut path north or northeast of the main red base that cuts through the woods to give you a shortcut to get to TIberius. There is an M path that is like a lobster trap that you can use to get from Choson to Babylonia that is a bit neat. The idea of taking your lone priest character and finding your giant opening base was neat.

Map Design: 4
The single file walking on the cliffs was tough, but it would have been OK with an easier play balance.

Story/Instructions: 2
It would have been nice to have a back story and victory story. It should have installation instructions saying to save the .ai files to the data2 folder or wherever they need to go.

A walkthough would have been good for beginning or below average players.

Additional Comments:
I was effectively defeated on moderate. The difficulty is organizing your base and simultaneously fighting the already-started enemy bases to the north, south, and east because the ones to the south have catapults.

EASY MODE is better, and with the slow pace of Trench Warfare I can take over 1/3 of the gray base. But even at the end of that, the other enemies have gotten so strong that the brown and orange teams are attacking the units on my mountain and my captured gray base from the north and southwest. Part of the problem could be that the mission makes me start out near my 50 unit limit, even though I need to fight forces on my north or southwest by starting new bases on the other side of the cliffs to my south or north. It would take more soldiers or less enemy players or slower enemy bases for me to decently win.

I was able to win on the EASIEST mode. My opening moves were to use my catapults to destroy the red archery range, archers and tower to the east. Then, I used my priests to convert the grey team's villagers to the south. I built a temple, outpost and siege works across the cliffs to the south. Initially, my invasion southward from this second base was halted. I started capturing units and buildings in the grey base, but my offensive ground to a halt, partly because of the fact that my unit population was maxed out, which limited my ability to churn out catapults. I could have killed off my villagers to open up house space and churn out catapults more. But even in that case, I still have to battle the grey base using priests etc. And they churn out catapults and grey towers so fast that it's hard to go faster than trench warfare. And if I just leave the grey team alone altogether, there is the problem that they use their catapults to take out the southern line of my buildings by shooting over the cliffs.

What got me out of the gridlock fighting the Grey Palymra teamm was researching all the catapult and priest upgrades. With a few priests and four fully upgraded catapults that I built or converted, I was able to steadily take out the Grey Palmyra base, since my catapults were just out of range of their towers while firing.

Then I steadily beat Carthage using my siege engines and priests. I took out Choson with the same tactic. Between Choson and Babylon there is a giant "M" path along the Southeast edge where villagers from Babylon could slip through, so I put a tower to defend the southern opening of the M. Then I steadily walked units through the M and took out the main part of the Babylonian base with the same tactic, using soldiers converted by my priests.

At the same time that I was taking out Babylon by sending soldiers through the M path, I was using my catapults to take out the Yellow towers that can hit the cliff path that goes north and northeast from the red Carthage base. This cliff path is important as a way to get to the shortcut that runs northward to get to Tiberius without having to take out the whole Babylonian base.

After all that, defeating Assyria and converting Tiberius was easy. But it was still important to get through that shortcut path ASAP before the yellow team got to Tiberius and killed him. This is because that Assyria, which owns Tiberius, is weak and Yellow is fighting it.

If you want to take out the orange Minoa team, put Orange on Neutral when they have no units on the plain below their base, and then convert their Villagers to get onto their plateau. Then build towers, catapults and other fighting units up on their plateau.

As a result, on EASIEST, without Cheats I advanced to the Iron Age, got over 35 Technologies, and took out Palmyra, Carthage, Choson, and brought Carthage's and Choson's boxes to my base. I got Babylon's chest, converted Tiberius, took out Assyria and Babylon, and finally won when I brought Tiberius to the home city.

[Edited on 10/04/19 @ 08:30 PM]

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability2.0
Balance2.0