Back to Age of Empires Heaven Welcome to The Granary (Download Central)
Welcome
Downloads Home
Review Guidelines
Main site
Forums
Code of Conduct
Search

Advanced Search
Rise of Rome: Single Player Scenarios
Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Rise of Rome: Single Player Scenarios » A Battle to the End v1.1

Download File Post Review Post Comment

A Battle to the End v1.1

Author File Description
Lennart van Beek
File Details
Difficulty: Hard
The Mira are a new empire who want to take control over Japan. They have already destroyed much villages and cities, and now they want yours. But you won't allow that, so you are planning an attack...
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Richard Ames
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5
Balance3.5
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 4.5

A Battle to the End is a creative and entertaining scenario, a tale of revenge in ancient Japan. It begins with a variety of role playing stages, such as a duel at the start, and some nice traps and good puzzles. The B&D part is enjoyable as well, though the enemy is easily pushed over.

Balance: 3.5

The scenario offers some challenging parts in the role playing sector, like getting through to the island, one of the most difficult challenges, while the B&D offers some difficulty as well, for example the bandits posed a problem to me as I tried to expand. It is a little easy on the B&D side – some more defending or making the siege harder would be improve the overall balance.

Creativity: 5

The level is very creative, with interesting puzzles and challenges, map design with some real character, and plenty of extras like the toll and the Forgotten.

Map: 5

This is a first-rate map with beautiful designing throughout. There are numerous features to comment on, like the nice bridges, exquisite forests and areas of eerie desolation.

Story: 4

The scenario has a simple story, a good bitmap, and good, clear instructions and hints.

Overall: 4.4

This is a wonderful find, and a top-notch piece of designing. Considering that this was one of Lennart’s very first works, it speaks volumes of his designing talent.

Lennart has gone to the trouble of updating it recently, so go ahead and return the favour to him by downloading it.
IICDO
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance3.5
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 4
I found playing this scenario quite enjoyable and was drawn into the game quickly. It is a good puzzle that has you thinking from the start. I tried it from different angles to see what could and could not be done in the beginning to a good follow through to the ending.

Balance: 3.5
It started off quite well and had you thinking. Sort of tapered off towards the end but it could be because of the way I play. I try to find as much as possible of the mapped area before settling in to achieve anything significant. Being able to spread my forces and workers thinly was something new to me.

Creativity: 4I found it to be very creative in story and design. It was my first of its kind and was very pleased with what I saw and how it played out. Who knew alligators would almost wipe out an entire unsuspecting village and then turn out to be so hard to kill. Good trails to follow. Very imaginative.

Map Design: 5
This was the high point of the game I was as always impressed at the creative imagination of some people. Mountains well placed, as was the sweep of the landscape. Moving around gives you the impression you are moving from highlands to lowlands and barrens. Good touch. Bravo.

Story/Instructions: 4
Right after you set off you feel a sense of uncertainty. You are alone yet knowing you have some safe points. The story slowly tugs at you until you are enwrapped. After about the third or fourth time you die and your frustration starts to show, sit back take a deep breath and count to ten. Totally enjoyable as I managed to play it all the way through.

Additional Comments:
This is my first review and I am glad I selected this scenario. A lot of good hard work went into this and the rewards are self-explanatory.

[Edited on 03/01/06 @ 11:00 PM]

Richard Ames Great review, IICDO, good to see.
Hosko This scenario takes the mick, everytime I try it I die easily, nice map though. Maybe im just too impatient to try again a fourth time.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.3
Balance3.5
Creativity4.5