Back to Age of Empires Heaven Welcome to The Granary (Download Central)
Welcome
Downloads Home
Review Guidelines
Main site
Forums
Code of Conduct
Search

Advanced Search
Rise of Rome: Single Player Scenarios
Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Download File Post Review Post Comment

The Solar Cult

Author File Description
Daniel The Master
File Details
Difficulty: Hard
Your Scipio and your king is under threat from a new fanaticism sweeping his beloved country. Duty Calls Scipio, Will you expect it?
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Richard Ames
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 5

Wow, this scenario is a great discovery. I must admit, I didn't stumble upon it randomly. I saw the author was Daniel, and I suspected it would be a good scenario, but it surpassed my expectations.

The level is exciting and rewarding, with plenty of surprises to keep you on your toes. It is a semi-linear puzzle/FF style with a little taste of B&D as well. Expect lots of unexpected twists and pitched battles.

There were a couple of small bugs that didn't really affect play, so I didn't mark them down. One was that the friendly bases changed to enemy. This was unexpected, and I was worried that some bases I was supposed to pass through would attack me, making the level impossible. However, this didn't happen, the bases were only buildings.

The other thing that downloaders should take note of is that the villagers you rescue must be in villager form. The loss condition says you will lose if more than 4 die, however it is not possible for the loss condition to work under some circumstances. If the villagers become wood choppers, you must task them back to being villagers by making as if to attack the enemy troops with them. For example, bring them to the flags, then task them to attack a blue tower. Remember, you will need at least 5 at the end to win, even if the loss condition doesn't kick in.

Balance: 5

The scenario is a mighty challenge the whole way through, very well balanced. The puzzles are good, requiring some problem solving and experimenting, while the fighting is never easy. The scenario is really a FF as you can only train some limited troops, though that does go slightly outside the definition of Fixed Force. The sieges are hard, with well crafted enemy bases and many different enemy units ready to crush your army. When you get the base it is particulary hard, with a charge of troops that will anihilate you if you are not ready for them.

Creativity: 5

This is one of the strongest areas, with extremely creative map design, a unique level with a wide variety of gameplay, including some inventive puzzles. The story is the only area lacking in creativity, though the other areas make up for this so strongly that it still deserves a solid five.

Map Design: 4

The map design screams fantasy, with some very creative eye candies, cities and terrains. There are some very nice features - the city design was terrific, while things like the swamps and waterfalls were grand. The realism is at times questionable, for example some houses and markets perched precariously on a cliff, but this is to some extent necessary to achieve the degree of creativity and the fantasy atmosphere desired.

Story/Instructions: 4

The story is the level's weaker point, it is fairly simple, needing quite a lot more depth to satisfy me. It lacks a bitmap as well, but it has detailed instructions, as well as some useful hints.

Overall: 4.6

A strong effort all round, this level is a gem, and a hell of a lot of fun to play. It falls instantly among the best scenarios made for RoR.
IICDO
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.6
Balance4.5
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.5
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 4.6
This scenario is great. It actually took me 10hrs to play it through. This is a puzzler and after repeatedly dying, I admit that I almost gave up but stuck to it. Keep a keen eye if you chose to play this. Bravo.
It kept me excited and on my toes from start to finish. As said it has plenty of surprises. Expect lots of unexpected twists and pitched battles.

Balance: 4.5
The scenario is a challenge the whole way through. The puzzles are good, requiring some problem solving and experimenting, while the fighting is never easy. You can only train some limited troops, but these should be sufficient. The sieges are hard, with well-crafted enemy bases and many different enemy units ready and waiting to destroy you. When you get the base it is particularly hard, with a charge of troops that will annihilate you if you are not ready for them. You can approach each base with caution to actually find your best approach.

Creativity: 5
This is what I liked the best, fantastic map design, a strong variety of game play. Good frustration level that gets you thinking. The puzzles were very well thought out. Although story is somewhat small and not very creative, the other areas truly make up for it that I think it still deserves a five.

Map Design: 4.5
The map design says total fantasy, Lots of creative eye candy with great cities and terrain. All in all some very nice features including great city design. Some houses looked odd at first in their location but looking past that I think it was done to give it its fantasy effect and the degree of creativity it was looking for

Story/Instructions: 4
Although it has detailed instructions, and some very useful hints, the storyline is the levels only weak point. It is short and simple. Also no map at the start

Additional Comments:
I found this to be an excellent play. A strong effort all round and as I stated earlier it kept my glued and on my toes
c4master Nothing more to say. This is a great scenario!

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.8
Balance4.8
Creativity5.0