Back to Age of Empires Heaven Welcome to The Granary (Download Central)
Welcome
Downloads Home
Review Guidelines
Main site
Forums
Code of Conduct
Search

Advanced Search
Age of Empires: Single Player Campaigns
Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Download File Post Review Post Comment

The Fall of Jerusalem

Author File Description
Phill Phree
File Details
Number of Scenarios: 5
Difficulty: Moderate
The Fall of Jerusalem begins in 586 B.C, a time of great strife and conflict, especially between the Israelites and their masters, the Babylonians.

You play a fictional commander of the Babylonian outpost situated near Jerusalem, Israel, who is waiting for the arrival of king Nebuchadnezzar before he begins the seige on Jerusalem. In the meantime, however, the king sends tasks for you to do, and while completing them, you end up beseiging Jerusalem, ending in disastrous results. Not to worry - there is hope, and your hope lies in your three commanders - Salmon (the grumbling peon), Nashon (the joker- a Scout obviously) and Boaz (the powerful calvery).

Together with the trio, you set out to punish Jerusalem for her rebellion and squash anything else along the way - even if it means your own team mates.

"THE FALL OF JERUSALEM" is the first part of the JERUSALEM trilogy. The first follows the adventures of the Babylonians as they fight the rebellious Israelites. The second ("The Restoration of Jerusalem"), follows the Israelites as they seek to rebuild their kingdom. The third and last ("The Glorification of Jerusalem"), shall remain a mystery till the release of the 2nd Campaign.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Richard Ames
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.5
Story/Instructions5.0
This campaign is quite superb. Can you believe it's the first submission of the author? Well if you play it you will be surprised. The power behind this campaign lies in its creativity, it is one of the few where you can say "well that's never been done before" in every mission.

Playability: 4.5

I really enjoyed playing the campaign a lot. It has great replay value and the camapign just keeps making you want to play it again if you fail, to see how you solve the puzzle, or to see what awaits you in the next scenario.

There is a glitch in the last scenario, you are given too much wood at the start, I don't think it was meant to go the way I did it. Anyway I'll play it again the proper way, after reading the hints I realised that you should not be able to make a town centre at the start.

Creativity: 5

A straight five, and a very high one at that. The designer, Tongrhj, has set the goal of making a campaign that stood out from the rest, and to be remembered as something that was very original, and the campaign does just that. All sorts of interesting map design, story, bitmaps, instruction layout, victory conditions and triggered events.

The appearance of the cavalry in scenario 5 is quite amazing, but when you look at how it was done it is even more impressive.

Balance: 4

It was a little easy at times, but usually quite hard, while not being impossible. Some scenarios required you to really think, others required fast reactions. Overall good balance, but not quite consistent enough for a five. The fourth scenario was a little too easy, perhaps a little experimentation with AI and per files could help make a scenario with a strong enemy.

Also the last scenario is a little buggy, it is not made clear that it is the elephant archer that you are supposed to kill.

Map Design: 4.5

Highly original, very well decorated, and overall very good. A few little places that were not done perfectly (e.g. shallow tiles that weren't placed very well, and cliffs that were cut off using delete don't look good). These are hardly noticable though, and only a scenario designer could tell the difference.

Story: 5

Very clear instructions, and hints often given as a riddle or song. A strong story without being too long. Good bitmaps provided for every scenario. I also loved the humour, you have to play this campaign if just to read the instructions!

Overall: 4.6

A good score, and yet this designer is not an experienced one yet! I can't wait to see the next installment in this trilogy, it will no doubt be fun, funny, and very original just like this one.

[Edited on 01/26/06 @ 01:17 AM]

tongrhj Thank you for the great review. After so many months, I have realized many errors inside my campaign, and I will be releasing version 2 of it soon. Watch out for it and its sequel!

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0