Back to Age of Empires Heaven Welcome to The Granary (Download Central)
Welcome
Downloads Home
Review Guidelines
Main site
Forums
Code of Conduct
Search

Advanced Search
Age of Empires: Single Player Campaigns
Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Age of Empires: Single Player Campaigns » The Beginnings of an Empire.

Download File Post Review Post Comment

The Beginnings of an Empire.

Author File Description
FireLegion_56
File Details
Number of Scenarios: 1
Difficulty: Hardest
This is a campaign about the beginning of the first Assyrian empire.
It’s full of eye candy, gorgeous bitmaps and loads of Fun. Also I have made custom Ais and Pers for this campaign so it will be hard. So I warning you don’t play on hardest the first time you play it. I didn’t bet the AI. The wiped my bum but that was also first time playing it.

Anyway download and enjoy. Tropper (aka FL_56)
Also if you bet the AI on hardest, well done.

Note:This campagin has been updated. There where a few little problems with the AI but I have fixed them and also made a few tiny changes to the map.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Richard Ames
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.5
Creativity4.5
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Another unexpected gift from Tropper, and a really great historical campaign. This is his first high scoring historical campaign, the other two being fiction. Classic build and destroy is your game, and if you don’t like it then you don’t like Age of Empires.

Playability: 5

The objectives are simple and fun, the map is a treat to explore, and the enemies are knocking at your door asking you to pay the rent from the buzzer. The mission will take you quite a while to finish, with plenty of enemies to crush. You don’t have much in the way of siege, and your mini tanks the hoplites aren’t available too, so you have to rely on Assyria’s famous cavalry, which is dominated by the chariot in this area. Fear not enemy priests, for we have chariots!

Balance: 4.5

I thought the balance of the mission would be very good, but to my surprise I managed to finish it the first go on hardest. Not to say it isn’t hard though – you have enemies breathing down your neck and from every direction. Their attacks were quickly cut off though, as I worked out the best strategy to defeat them. I won’t say how though. I think the personality file’s inevitable variations on different computers also made the mission a little easier than it was meant to be.

There was a small lacking in terms of mission styles, it was basically limited to old school B&D with no puzzle, fixed force and diplomacy elements, but I found it didn’t detract from gameplay at all.

The mission time was well balanced, and I think the “defeat player” type objectives were more suited here than defeating just one unit or building, as that would be too easy. I’m not sure of mission time, but I would say it would take at least an hour.

Creativity: 4.5

Besides the simplicity of the objectives, I had no complaints. A few more objectives, or more unique/difficult ones would have got it a 5, or perhaps a unique trick of some sort.

The positives were map and story, and Tropper has outdone himself here. The map is visually stunning, with great balance and very realistic look. It features the famous rivers that pass through the Middle East, in great splendor, and very realistic desert surroundings with a huge amount of eye candy. I think this is his best map yet. It has a lot of creative elements, like the river’s limited crossings, despite their appearance, and the “massed” units technique made famous by Tropper, including Cactus and stone mine terrain. The story is historical, and well handled. It’s good to see a designer showing their versatility, much like how Ingo surprised everyone with Gyda’s Challenge.

Map Design: 5

As I’ve said the map is stunning, rich with every colour and flavour and greatness. It takes a long time to develop the skill to make that map, let alone the making itself. A little more use of Gaia buildings with trees in them, and making use of the remaining player slots is all I can think of for improvements.

Story: 5

The bitmap is a gem, following the idolized style of the ES bitmaps, and with the “bronzing” of more palm trees and such, and unique rivers. If you can make a bitmap like this your campaign is sure to make a good first impression, as a bitmap is the first thing you’ll see. The story is told by an old man and a young boy at the start, and the history of the Assyrian’s is well detailed. This is a civilization that is not overdone by designers, and a good choice.

Possible Improvements:

-Make the objectives more unique
-Make the story a bit more detailed

Overall: 4.8

It would be great if we could see more submissions like this.
FireLegion_56
File Author
"It would be great if we could see more submissions like this."
It would be brilliant if people got anywhere near. Any way thanks for the review.

Also,
I wish I could have another review.

[Edited on 05/27/05 @ 03:08 AM]

c4master
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity4.5
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.5
Yeah man, I like this! You're under pressure here. Enemies are pouring into your town from every side. Still, you have good chances to survive if you use your advantages properly. The campaign really fascinated me for its grandious map and the masterful balance. I also liked to play as Assyria because I know only little about them.

Balance: 5
Balance is perfect. I had to take a second try, but it was really great. Well, brown player could have been a bit stronger because he didn't seriously attack me (well, a few badly equipped soldiers knocked at my door). I played it on hard as i always try to beat the scenarios on hard. Playing on hardest would probably just summon frustration so I won't try again.

The campaign is historically based upon the Assyrians which is a good idea. Noone seems to care about one my favorite civilization ;) The victory conditions were ok, nothing new but used sensibly. The map was great- but this is not the point where map design counts.

One of the best maps I've ever seen! FireLegion_56 is an awesome designer and no wonder he is famous for his maps. Lovely rivers aline with peaceful forests and a very good (well sometimes rather evil) use of elevations. This is definately what maps should look like.

Story/Instructions: 4.5
FireLegion_56 decided to add some historical background taken from a webpage which was indeed a nice idea. I have to spend a word on the bitmap. It looked really good and I wonder how you can do all these great bitmaps. The story itself is good although there are some spelling mistakes. Well, we're all just human beings, aren't we?

Additional Comments:
- download recommendation: YES!

- nominated for campaign of the year 2005

[Edited on 12/20/05 @ 10:28 AM]

FireLegion_56
File Author
Thanks for that c4master.
IICDO
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.5
Creativity4.5
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.6
The objectives are simple, the map is a beautiful piece of designing and as said a treat to explore. Enemies are pouring into your town yet with skill you have a good chance of survival if you use your wits and don’t panic. The mission will take you quite a while to finish. You have limited units available so you have to rely on cavalry and chariot in this area. I enjoy a well-planned campaign or scenario that forces me to think right from the start.
Balance: 4.5
Balance of the mission was good. I finished it the first go on hard and will wait to try it again on hardest, as it is still fresh in my memory. Enemy comes at you from each direction then backs off to let you progress This is your true build and destroy campaign with no puzzle, fixed force. You have to protect your town centre and government building, yet neither was ever harmed.
Although the objectives were simple I enjoyed the campaign as a whole. The story is historically based upon the Assyrians. The map is a real joy to look at with a very realistic look, a huge amount of eye candy.
A bitmap is the first thing you’ll see and if it looks good you half caught the players eye. This bitmap was excellent. The true map design is fantastic and a true work of art. It takes a long time to develop the skill to make a map this good. Great balance and a very realistic look which features rivers with limited crossings, and very realistic desert surroundings.Truly one of the best maps I have seen so far! Now I know why FireLegion_56 is famous for his maps. This is definitely what maps should look like.
Story/Instructions: 4.6
The story: although there are some spelling mistakes is told by an old man and a young boy at the start, I don’t know much about this culture or the history of them so I will take it that the history of the Assyrian’s is well detailed. I now have some work to look forward to. You cannot become part of the story unless you can feel the emotion of the writer.
Additional Comments:
This is a true classic in the style of Build and Destroy.
A must download for every player the loves the game of Ages of Empires.
PartizanLegis Truly a gem of a short campaign! I wish there was a second scenario - nonetheless, the enemies, the slow build up and the mopping up of the baddies will keep you preoccupied for at least an hour. The PER. files worked like a charm, quite challenging at first but if you concentrate and then go out and beat the butt of red, then yellow and finally brown you have it. Map design as gorgeous as ever, with detailed and splendid eye candy -- Great fun overall.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.7
Creativity4.5