Back to Age of Empires Heaven Welcome to The Granary (Download Central)
Welcome
Downloads Home
Review Guidelines
Main site
Forums
Code of Conduct
Search

Advanced Search
Rise of Rome: Single Player Campaigns
Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Rise of Rome: Single Player Campaigns » The Rise Of Fiji: 6th Campaign - One Year Later

Download File Post Review Post Comment

The Rise Of Fiji: 6th Campaign - One Year Later

Author File Description
NicksSoftware
File Details
Number of Scenarios: 1
Difficulty: Moderate
It is one year since the Rise Of Fiji, Fiji has become a superpower what with new territory and the economy on the rise. Fiji has surpassed its neighboring countrys in many ways. Currently Fiji has recieved a new island entitled "Sova" They took this island over after the situation of Boo's Ghost and Austrilia (RoF Campaign 5) Nick and Sameer have arrived on this island to sway away the foreigners and see Fiji's council for the first time in one year.

NOTE: This Campaign will run on Rise Of Rome, But it is reccoemended that you get Rise Of Fiji to understand some terms.

To get Rise Of Fiji go here:
http://aoe.heavengames.com/dl-php/showfile.php?fileid=1662

Http://www.Riseoffiji.tk - Rise Of Fiji Official Site
Http://www.NicksSoftware.tk - NicksSoftware Official Site
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
GiorgosRox Oh please stop it!

These campaigns are killing me...
Rug_Might Er, I feel a little stupid now. Sorry.

[Edited on 11/20/05 @ 08:15 PM]

GiorgosRox 2 hours? Thats how long it took me to make Ormofopolis 2.
Richard Ames Really? That's pretty good for two hours.
Richard Ames
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.5
Balance2.5
Creativity3.0
Map Design2.5
Story/Instructions3.0
Playability: 3.5

This is an enjoyable level, with a FF style where you must go around the map to end at the yellow flag. It has a stealth element with a tame lion at the start, and you must rely on Gaia units found around the map to get you through. There is also an area where you can train new units from, though I never needed to. I liked that you could lose easily if you go the wrong way, and how exploration was emphasized with quite crafty placement of units at times.

Balance: 2.5

The level was challenging, I did die once when I first played it, but then I took a more careful approach and was able to win. It should have been a bit more difficult, there wasn’t the big final challenge at the end I was expecting, but rather a fairly easy walk home. The resources you are given are too generous as well, and with priests and Hannibal you don’t really need them.

Creativity: 3

The level was quite a creative one, with an interesting FF variation. I liked how the yellow units moved in to the screen at the start. The story was too simple to be very creative, though the map housed some interesting eye candies. The objectives were a bit dull though, some more things to do on the way would be better.

Map Design: 2.5

The map is a mix of dull forests, amateur looking blank areas, and eye candy. The level wound its way around in an interesting way, though the hardest parts were at the beginning, there was no sense of building up. You should also learn to use more than just three players; they can come in handy for all sorts of things, as well as making the map more colourful. Though some of the eye candy isn’t visually stunning, the yellow area is quite nice.

Story: 3

Firstly there is no bitmap, which you expect to see in a single scenario campaign. Secondly Nick and Sameer are the stars of the story. Putting yourself as the main character is generally considered newbic, unless it’s for irony, which it didn’t seem to be. It does make it tempting to see the loss message. The story is also short and unconvincing, with no history and shortage of hints. The instructions are reasonably clear, though I didn’t seem to win. I looked at the objectives and I thought the second one might mean conquest. I destroyed some buildings, but unsure how much there was I found many inaccessible ones with reveal map, so I took a look in the editor. The victory condition was in fact only to bring them to the flag, though the area wasn’t directly around the flag, but a large area in the north west half of the base which I must have narrowly missed being in. The presentation is good, as is the spelling and grammar.

Overall: 2.9

I haven’t played the RoF campaigns but I would say this was an improvement on them. It is good at least that this isn’t a 20 scenario campaign. Though the quality could be higher, this is a campaign ‘worth checking out’.
GiorgosRox Ill pass.
Chris Mattox
Rating
Breakdown
Playability2.9
Balance2.3
Creativity1.2
Map Design1.0
Story/Instructions2.0
Playability: 2.9
Ahh. Playability, To me the Playability was decent. But not good either. When i first played i dident know what to use the lion for.
but after i read richard's review i got it. So like richard said, It had a stealth/exploring element, But im not going to cover that as richard already did. The mission was fun, As i like FF scenarios but to me you have to make them right to make them work. This one was half n half

Balance: 2.3
Balance, Okay. I had to pull back my soldiers to heal a lot, So to me a tactical element was involved. But the war elephant to me was a little overpowered. I had trouble with the zenobia's tower at first, But when i doubled back to the troop area i found a stone thrower that helped. Also in one area i got ambushed and the wiped out about 70% of my troops. It seemed as though they came out of nowere! At the end it was a bit humorous for me, Because the elephants killed even more of my men.

Creativity: 1.3
Creativity. Hmmmm. Is this a mod? Or a joke? If it was mod, They other players would have civ names. i thought it was creative when i Dled it, With Fuiji in the title and all, But theres nothing creative at all hear to me.
>No offense NS, But please do better with something else<

Map Design: 1.2
Map design. You gotta be kidding me! No eyecandy, No Mixed forests, Climate clashes. Omg
Im gonna go to fuiji and see this for myself

Story/Instructions: 2.1
The objectives were clear and it said what it needed to say. 2.0 for that

Additional Comments:
Should you download? Yes. Maybe. If your bored.

[Edited on 03/11/06 @ 04:21 PM]

IICDO
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance3.0
Creativity3.0
Map Design2.5
Story/Instructions3.0
Playability: 3
A long but an enjoyable level, you must go around the map to end at the yellow flag. As said before a tame lion can aid you with looking forward. Gaia units were also available in this scenario to help you along the way. I found some spots where they came in handy and others where if you were stealthy you could avoid your enemy. The 2 priests were used quite a bit to convert units to your side. I have started to play the first Rise of Fiji and this is an improvement overall. Although lengthy this scenario was fun

Balance: 3
The level is challenging if you take a careful approach you are able to win. It should have been a bit more difficult, there wasn’t the big final challenge at the end I was expecting, but rather a fairly easy walk home. The resources you are given are too generous as well, and with priests and Hannibal you don’t really need them. The rogue elephants near the end are a definite surprise.

Creativity: 3
Good creativity and as talked about in the opening you looked as if you were yellow as the other Fiji campaigns. The story was too simple to be very creative, Your objectives were straight and to the point but I felt that adding one or two others would have spiced it up

Map Design: 2.5
Movement throughout the map was good as you wound your way around in an interesting way. The map is a mix of dull forests, very little eye candy and quite a few blank areas. It looks as if it was put together first then the story built around it. More work on this area itself will go a long way in the future. Again there is no bitmap to go on as with the first Fiji campaign

Story/Instructions: 3
Again, no bitmap that you expect to see in a single scenario campaign. The story is short and unconvincing, with no history and shortage of hints. The instructions are reasonably clear, though I didn’t seem to win at first. I looked at the objectives and was considering going back to destroy all enemy forces but when I move I became victorious. I destroyed some buildings along the way, The victory condition was to bring them to the flag, though the area wasn’t directly around the flag, but a large area in the north west half of the base which I must have narrowly missed being in. The presentation is good, as is the spelling and grammar.

Additional Comments:
I have started to play the Rise of Fiji campaigns and I would say this was an improvement on them. Though as mentioned earlier, the quality could be higher, this is a campaign ‘worth checking out’.
rwilde Good to see another fair and honest review from you IICDO. It would be nice if we could have a good 'Neutral Point of View' review for the full ROF campaign, but it's an 80 scenario beast, I can't imagine how anyone could have time to review it. I'm sure that many of the scenarios are quite short, but it would take me at least a decade to get through it myself given the time I have available, and by then it would be doubtful if anyone would read my review. To add to that there are many other things, like multiplayer scenarios, to consider as well!

What I think you should do now is go out and find a completely untouched submission with no previous reviews and do one for that - it's quite a different thing to reviewing campaigns others have already rated. It's a good technique to do what you've done and get that comparison to sort of 'zero' your scoring in to get it nice and accurate, and I think you're now ready to review a fresh submission and give it a rating that will be based what you and you alone think of it.
Richard Ames Ah, sorry about the confusion, that's my other HG sites account... the data base has been merged, and every time I log on there I'm logged on here as well, and it's taking me some time to get used to. I would use that account everywhere, but as you can see my profile doesn't have any of my reviews or submissions on it, and I don't want to confuse people with a new name, let alone not being able to edit my old posts, reviews, submissions etc!

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.1
Balance2.6
Creativity2.4