Back to Age of Empires Heaven Welcome to The Granary (Download Central)
Welcome
Downloads Home
Review Guidelines
Main site
Forums
Code of Conduct
Search

Advanced Search
Rise of Rome: Single Player Campaigns
Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Richard & N00bs

Author File Description
Trisolo
(id: scenario_t_c)
File Details
Number of Scenarios: 1
Difficulty: Mod-Hard
Since it's Richard Ames who suggested an extremely small map in AoE, I decided to use him as the character in my very first scenario of AoE:RoR. It features a 40 x 40 map (triple hitpoint mode on) and a really short story about Richard Ames fighting the N00bs.
I don't have too much time to spend in the process as next week would be the beginning of the examination, therefore I believe the scenario is rather N00b too. So just take it as a joke, fellows.

Please use a none-patched version game to play this.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Rug_Might
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.7
Balance4.6
Creativity4.7
Map Design4.6
Story/Instructions4.8
Playability: 4.7
A short, smooth-running scenario right here. In this, the player slowly picks off enemies while keeping control of a war chest and, with some help from a priest, taking down the noob leader (a powerful Zug 209 cheat unit.)

Balance: 4.6
Looking before leaping is almost required here. Charge into a group of enemies and, even though you're a heavily armored centurion, the amount of hitpoints lost all at once could vanquish you. Some elevations can help and trying to attract only one enemy at a time will ensure victory. The monitoring of the war chest is very important, as one lowly clubman could walk right past it and take it for himself.

Creativity: 4.7
A story about a regular forummer and designer trying to evade noobs and submit a campaign with the addition of quaint and pleasing map design. I'd say that would give the creativity a pretty nice score.

Map Design: 4.6
The design, overall, was pleasing to the eye. Not a $500 masterpiece, but things like the moved shallows and close, varied trees with some elevation not only looked nice as you played, but also contributed to how the player needed to get to the granary. An example of this is the placement of trees on the shore to avoid a shortcut or having a cliff go on water.

Story/Instructions: 4.8
The story is short but very humorous. It is about Richard trying to submit his latest campaign while avoiding the attempts of the noobs to thwart him. If the noobs manage to capture the campaign, they'll submit it as their own. Bitmap is a simple one but it looks very nice.

Additional Comments:
If you've got a little time to kill and want a fun and funny scenario, I suggest you click the download button.

[Edited on 03/25/06 @ 07:01 PM]

Chris Mattox
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.9
Balance4.7
Creativity4.9
Map Design4.9
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 4.9
This is a good pick-up-and-play campaign. I loved it, I showed it to my dad, who never played a game in his life, and he loved it. Scenario t_c in a genius at everything.

Balance: 4.7
I had a hard time with the cheat unit at the end, My centrion died once. But i was being careless. I was relived when i found the preist, so i healed and went back tru the swarms of enemys and finaly won. No serious balance issues here. 4.7

Creativity: 4.9
I thought this campaign had something to do with fall of the n00bs project, but then i realized it was a 40x40 map showcase. The creativity was exelent. But then again anything about richard is creative. very. creative.

Map Design: 4.9
I liked the map design. Nothing bad about it, I liked how S t_c did the swamp too. Im planing to use a 40x40 map sometime in the future. Like i said, S t_c is a genius at making mods. Expecially with the Overlap editer

Story/Instructions: 5
I liked the story, it was humorous and very entertaing, tell you what you had to do clearly. Bitmap was decent.

Additional Comments: Should you download?
Yes. Good small and bloody n00b killing action!
rwilde *retracts review, logs on to correct account...*

[Edited on 04/16/06 @ 01:52 AM]

Richard Ames
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5
Balance4.5
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 4.5

What is ‘Richard and the N00bs’? A scenario where you will have to move through a horde of n00bs and keep your campaign safe as you bring it to the granary. The n00bs’ units (appropriately named ‘n00bman’ and ‘Elite n00bman’ on the language.dll file I’m using right now) seem to come from everywhere, turning up in front of you and behind you, often both at once. Another element is that the campaign (being on a floppy disk) must be kept dry.

The triple HP mode tremendously alters the gameplay. Who could have imagined changing unit HP in AoE? Well now, thanks to the work of PhatFish and t_c we now can have scenarios with triple HP. This means units take a lot longer to die, so clubmen become a proper obstacle that aren’t killed in one hit by a centurion, while the centurion becomes a very powerful hero.

Balance: 4.5

The level is very challenging – keeping the campaign (artifact) safe can be quite frustrating, but this makes good use of the stand ground key (use the hotkey ‘D’ for stand ground, otherwise you are not going to have much luck in this scenario!), a creative gameplay addition and the fact that most units are melee ones makes it work.

Creativity: 5+

The scenario abounds in creativity, most of the tricks and techniques only being possible due to the author’s own discoveries!

-Hex editing the map size (you can make them even smaller than this too – visit the forums: http://aoe.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aoecgi/display.cgi?action=ct&f=4,5474,,10
-Using triple HP mode (which works fine too, except when you save, but if you reload from the save created it is back to normal again).
-Making the artifact change ownership if you aren’t near it, often even when there seem to be no other units around!
-Makes use of hidden units and overlapping data files very well.
-Raft stuck like on ‘mud’

Map Design: 5

The first thing you will notice is that the map is extremely small – 40 tiles by 40 in fact. This is the smallest map ever seen thus far, even smaller than the first level of the learning campaign, which was sub-tiny size. However, designing on this template is quite buggy, whereas this method doesn’t seem to be at all! The scenario is such that it is quite suited to this microscopic map, however; the centurion’s low LOS makes the map actually seem very large, and creates a surreal effect from that strange contrast. Only when you find scenario_t_c do you realize how tiny the map really is, which seems appropriate, given his great vision.

The map is very well decorated, with lots of nice eye candy packed into this tiny map. There are elevations; thick forests made of all varieties of tree with berry bushes and such mixed with them using the overlapping data file; and even some neat map tricks like shallow water that can’t be crossed.

Story: 5

The bitmap looks very professional, with nice clear images and no sharp edges. It’s a simple bitmap, but sharp and of high quality, like all other aspects of the scenario. Clear instructions with helpful (and funny) hints round out excellent presentation. Perhaps a hint about the raft would make it a little easier, as I had to ask for help myself with this part.

A very humourous story of a similar style to Fall of the Newbs, yet much shorter and with a slightly different style of humour. I loved the jokes in there, like the explanation of why my LOS is so small (and true too!) and why scenario_t_c’s hair is grey :P

Overall: 4.8
IICDO No review since I could not say anything better than what has already been said here. Beautiful small map and outstanding features. Nifty little bitmap and story is short and to the point. I enjoyed this very much.
WillNotAllow
(id: GeorgeROR)
Wow, for one scenario, I really had to work the save button here. The only tough spot I found was moving the artifact, which turned out to be quite simple. One thng I noticed while playing it and saving it, that after five saves the saved filed had doubled the hitpoints of most units, making it take a long time to kill of the final combatants. This this was a Tricky one.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.7
Balance4.6
Creativity4.9