Back to Age of Empires Heaven Welcome to The Granary (Download Central)
Welcome
Downloads Home
Review Guidelines
Main site
Forums
Code of Conduct
Search

Advanced Search
Age of Empires: Single Player Campaigns
Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Download File Post Review Post Comment

A Hero Named Tapisf

Author File Description
WillNotAllow
(id: GeorgeROR)
File Details
Number of Scenarios: 1
Difficulty: Easy-Mod
Worked fast but hard on this little beta cpn, enjoy! Place in AgeofEmpiresBeta\CAMPAIGN file. Or you may run it in regualar AOE or ROR, however it will be wacky and not purty.

Trehenland faces increasing opposition from demonic Heathens. Usually the Trehenians had turned to a band of eleven Heroes called the “Laborers”. But even the Laborers where having hard times, for they where often distanced apart due to the calls for assistance that came from varying quarters.

Taking advantage of their seemed absence, some of the Heathen forces rumored that the Laborers power would not last. To this end, they sought to undermine and cajole the neighboring towns into submission. The poor folks would listen to them drabble about how the laws and procedure or their ‘orderly system’ of governing was more important than placing reckless and risky heroes as their source of protection. The Heathens had grown quite bold and where making life tough for the Laborers to keep order.

Yet, the Laborers where often seen riding forth frequently to successfully help poor folks. The Heathens of Hell knowing that if the Trehenians continued to see these valiant Heroes come to their aid, that Heathen influence would be doomed. Hence, they came up with a plan to disrepute the Laborers. First they formulated a mighty sleeping potion. They picked a young hero Tapisf, the eleventh of the Laborers, as their target. They proceeded to lure him to a ‘conference’, where they induced him to consume the potion hidden in a cup of tea. Now all they will need to do is destroy or create chaos, and then blame the Laborers for inaction!
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Dean McCullough Very interesting George. I'm going to go ahead and download this... And see how you made use of the unique beta features.

Might I add that one VERY interesting feature is that gaia units and buildings can be captured by the computer... This can create entire new gameplay...
PhatFish
Staff
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance3.8
Creativity4.0
Map Design4.9
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability
This lovely 1 scenario campaign is quite challenging and a fun B&D. It starts out with a nice puzzling element - you must use your mentor Perseus to "lure" the war elephant into conversion, so Hero Tapisf can easily be freed from his imprisonment. After freeing him, you're treated to a beautiful Gaia village, in which you can build up your strength and start searching for either the Alpha, Beta and Omega artifacts or try to capture and hold 6 Ruins. This is the part where it gets somewhat easier, however you can't isolate yourself on one island if you want to win this scenario. Therefore, you must build a fleet and move on to conquer the next islands near you. Exploration is vital here - I've had the comp surprise me a few times. I chose to go for the Ruins as I found this the most challenging objective. After gaining control of the main island where the Hell grunters and Heavenly Assistance reside in their own battle (I don't know if they are ment to be enemies from eachother) I managed to expand pretty quickly and it didn't take me too long to conquer the Heathens on the eastern island as well. A bit too passive perhaps? All in all it's very fun, worth to check out.

Creativity
Stands out on some parts. Most elements used seem to blend in really well, however the objectives are a bit simple and don't give me the feeling I'm doing something important so save Tapisf's destiny.

Balance
Destroying the wonder is made very easy using the tame lion to set it on fire, the Goofingoffislands actually "goof off" on that part. Like I already mentioned, it's a bit too passive, I didn't have mutch trouble killing the Hell grunters and Heathen after building up my base there. After that, conquering the map was not mutch of a hassle.

Map Design
I especially liked the cactuses mixed with rocks at the shore of your Gaia village. Excellent use of the rubble terrain. Elevation is used in a very realistic way. Movement is iincluded, villagers gather recourses. Overall very nicely done and enjoyable to look at.

Story/Instructions
The story was pretty good to read, not too contrived and tied in with the scenario pretty well. Although I don't think elephant skin is poisonous... hehe ;-). Too bad there wasn't any instruction bitmap made.

A very enjoyable SP campaign made with the beta version. Needs a little more effort to reach a higher rating. A very good job done here, Eagle Eye.
WillNotAllow
(id: GeorgeROR)
File Author
Thank you Phat for the review, good points. player 1,3, & 6 are allied against all others. thanks for taking a look too, Dean. As for the effort, I belive I need more time too. I planned a bmp but it did not latch on so I gave up.
Masterbronzeman Sorry,

I don't need help. It appeared on the list today rather than yesterday.

Masterbronzeman

[Edited on 01/13/07 @ 11:44 AM]

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0