Back to Age of Empires Heaven Welcome to The Granary (Download Central)
Welcome
Downloads Home
Review Guidelines
Main site
Forums
Code of Conduct
Search

Advanced Search
Rise of Rome: Single Player Campaigns
Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Rise of Rome: Single Player Campaigns » The March of Alexander - first 5 scenerios

Download File Post Review Post Comment

The March of Alexander - first 5 scenerios

Author File Description
prasanna
File Details
Number of Scenarios: 8
Difficulty: Mod-Hard
Okay. I have seen how the creativity standards here are. Making campaigns takes me a really long time. So can someone please write a review giving places of improvement before I continue on.

Anyway this campaign starts from River Granikos where Alexander first set foot on the Asian Minor. I am hoping to end this detailed campaign in Hydraspes, near India. So far I have just finished (completely) Gordium.

IN THIS UPDATE, it goes to the Seige of Tyre. Can somebody leave any comments please?
Pages: « First « 1 [2] 3 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
prasanna
File Author
Has anyone here got any comments or suggestions???
Pallintides My first comment would be to be patient. A lot of work my have gone into your campaign so let it get played properly. You don't want somebody playing it and rushung through it just to give you a review or comment. I am playing a campaign right now and I will play yours next and see how you are. Although I am no expert I will give you all the pointers you need, or would like to improve or stay the way you are depending on the campaign. How's that?
I know you are in school so think about that first. Pallintides
prasanna
File Author
Okay. It's all good.
c4master I am going to play it and give you a review within a few days, I hope. It seems to me that the others simply forgot to do so. ;-)
prasanna
File Author
Thanks...
c4master
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.5
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions5.0
The March Of Alexander is a historically based campaign which deals with Alexander's conquering in Asia Minor including the famous battle of Issus and the siege of Tyre.

Playability: 5
This campaign really rocks! You will fun have a lot of hours while you're playing this beautiful masterpiece. Yet, there is a little bug because it seems to me that the sixth scenario, is somehow corrupted. I could not win this one even though I did all that has been requested. Anyways, one little bug in eight absolutely great scenarios, that isn't really worth noticing.
Every scenario has a playtime of at least one hour (maybe less if you are a good player) and most took me more than two hours. There is no scenario which you couldn't win and neither is there any that hasn't been a lot of fun for me. Additionally the scenarios are a well-balanced mix of fixed force and build up & destroy scenarios.

Balance: 4.5
Many scenarios are really easy to lose and you need good tactics to avoid this. Even if you manage to survive you will not have easy time archieving your goals. If there is one point, which was bad, then the one that you get too many gaia troops. If you keep searching the surrounding you will nearly always find something useful.

Creativity: 5
Wow! It was a big surprise to me to find such high creativity in this work. First of all, the victory conditions always fit to the scenario and do make sense in the historical context. Something which can be seen very rarely. Second, I liked how the scenarios played. It juast "feels" special. Third, the author used many different players, didn't switch between peoples except for the last mission and just made the best of what you can do in Age of Empires. The most creative and best scenario was number five. I had to try it three times until I could survive the first minutes and even then I played a very long time, always on a high adrenaline level, because of the fear that your buioldings might get destroyed. Great job!

Map Design: 4
The maps looked very nice. I like all the eye candy and I guess that some enhanced editor has been used to create certain specials like the trees within buildings or the "gold mines". Still, mainly on the fixed force levels, great parts of the map aren't drawn like this. Instead of pretty cities, mixed forsests and cactee, you will find huge plains and forest brush. It seems to me that these areas have been rushed. I can clearly understand this for I am a designer myself, but still I have to downgrade for that.

Story/Instructions: 5
Another part, where the author has done a marvellous job! The historical background would have been enough to score at least 4.0! Great discription of what was going on behind the scenes. Along come some nice bitmaps and a very good instructions section to clearly score 5.0. If only there were more campaigns like this one!

Additional Comments:
download recommendation: Yes!
WillNotAllow
(id: GeorgeROR)
Like the Dam in the Third, nice job. Third scenario is also my fav. The ones after that are hurried design wise, but still great placement. Nice Job!

Edit: if ya want, come and join us at tribulationdesigns.com, we love to have ya ;)

[Edited on 10/01/07 @ 11:29 AM]

irishruss I've been playing the campaign and it is great!@ The only problem I have run into is that For some reason the game doesn't end when all the victory conditions are fulfilled. Did I miss a condition maybe or is there a missing or misunderstood victory condition. The Memnon fleet is defeated, I have onlyu two razed buildings, my govt center is intact, the three leaders are inside the blu flagged area near Gordium, I have two centurions inside the northern flags, I built a tower insid the orange flags, I have 20000 food, I have the war chest and place it at the trade workshop and the Persians are defeated(both). I have even destoyed the Gordian(yellow) player thinking that standard conquest conditions would kick in.
jlharter The second scenario victory conditions could require complete conquest (i.e. attacking your ally) if you upgrade your watch towers to sentry towers. To avoid this you could, instead, change the victory conditions to require sentry towers rather the watch towers or, alternatively, you could disable tech granary and remove any gaia granary.

Of course, one can still win without these changes by either not upgrading their towers or by all out conquest, but still this could create some confusion for new players or for players who didn't know that Sentry towers cannot substitute for watch towers to meet victory conditions.

Great campaign thus far. I have not completed it yet, but so far it is very nice. And, as always, I will review it soon.
jlharter PS if you are looking for creating a great challenge, imagine the second campaign with no gaia catapults and only those stone throwers. Their range isn't very effective against towers unless you do a dodge, heal, then rush in again all without letting many of them be completely destroyed during the process. Of course, the whole time enemy archers and catapults could easily take a few sneak shots at the stone throwers which adds a great demention to game play and a lot more difficulty. So its your call (depending on how difficult you want to make it). And also note that there is no gold, which is perfect for this limitation since no more improvements or creations of stone throwers are possible. So what you have is what you have.

Great balance thus far, just a tip on making it more difficult if you want to (easily 4-4.5 balance as it is, and with the added dificulty we are talking a 5 for balance). ~expect a full review tomorrow or the next day

[Edited on 12/14/07 @ 07:02 PM]

Pages: « First « 1 [2] 3 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.8