Back to Age of Empires Heaven Welcome to The Granary (Download Central)
Welcome
Downloads Home
Review Guidelines
Main site
Forums
Code of Conduct
Search

Advanced Search
Rise of Rome: Single Player Campaigns
Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Rise of Rome: Single Player Campaigns » The Fate of Inraya Teaser

Download File Post Review Post Comment

The Fate of Inraya Teaser

Author File Description
Ninetails
(id: TailSpray)
File Details
Number of Scenarios: 1
Difficulty: Hardest
The land of Inraya could soon become the land of darkness. An unprovoked attack, rebellion, and a mysterious, artifact. Four heroes may find themselves holding in their hands the Fate of Inraya.

My first upload. I hope everyone enjoys it. Please report any bugs immediately, I haven't been able to test it throughly as I'd like.

The full campaign is in progress, thanks to all of you who played and rated. You are why I am slaving away in front of the computer working on the full version. :)
Pages: « First « 1 [2]
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Mapppp
(id: Jimmy2)
Thanks for all the help! I'll review this soon.
Mapppp
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design3.5
Story/Instructions4.5
"The Fate of Inraya" is a great fantasy scenario about a group of heroes trying to save the land of Inraya. You must build an army, destroy a camp, steal a boat, rescue a captured ambassador, steal some mysterious artifacts, and get to saftey. There is a lot to do, and enough here to keep you occupied for a good amount of time.

Playability: 4.5
Playability was great. Almost everything worked well. The continuous siege had no bugs, and the escape from the burning had no problems. In general, everything worked, except for the buildings in the city. I found that some of the units were blocked from creation by houses, which was annoying, although fixable. Also, some of the paths were cramped, making it hard to direct your units as you wanted to.

Balance: 4
I am not the best player, but I have to say, this scenario is extremely hard! By the time the siege ended, I only had my hero and a priest. Even then, I had to destroy the chariots at the enemy camp, break the wall, run through a city full of enemies, and get a boat. I couldn't do it without using cheats to get more units. On the other hand, the escape from burning was perfectly balanced. Overall, good, but too hard for beginners. Try making the enemy army have less resources, and give the red cities less units, especially around the turquoise legion.

Creativity: 5
Extremely creative! This scenario used a lot of cool tricks and ideas. While the idea behind the story has been used before, it was presented in a new and interesting manner. The trick with the mercenary was new to me, and I've had this game longer than I can remember. The idea of having artifacts in the barracks was also great. There were also some tricks here that were recycled from other scenarios, like the burning at the stake, but it was still neat to see. The most creative part of the scenario was the siege. there aren't many siege campaigns around, but this one is great. The enemy never fails to attack, and you have to think and use strategy to win. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention; there's a language dll too, which make it even better.

Map Design: 3.5
The map design was the low point of the scenario. The river and the jungles were great, but there were a lot of wide spaces with nothing, like outside the city. Inside the cities, there were just plain desert paths. The cities themselves looked good, however.

Story/Instructions: 4.5
The story was creative and interesting. It grabbed my attention and made me want to read more. The hints were also good and easily understandable. A little more of a backstory would have been nice, but it was good anyway. The bitmap was also good.

Additional Comments:
Download: Yes! Great new scenario. It's amazing that after 10 years Aoe still gets scenarios like this one.

Just a tip: Improve the balance, and maybe make the game slightly easier. Also, play around with the editor-you'll find more tricks. If you have open, boring areas, fill them with rocks, desert patches, dirt, etc to make them more interesting.

I hope to see a sequel as soon as Easter rolls around and you finish your deal :)
Ninetails
File Author
4.3 Yay!

I'm slightly suprised at the scores though. I'm glad you liked the siege, that bit took the most time to test. I was somewhat dissapointed with the map design score, but I'm not good at open spaces, I do a mean jungle/river, but deserts and plains aren't my strong point. I was also worried about lag from too much eyecandy.

The cramped paths are fixable, I just like a really dense looking jungle. (It does make the escape a bit hard though) I'm not sure how to fix the buildings though. The adv. editor does that. Also that's what prevented me from using paths in the city, overlapping them with buildings causes them to dissapear.

As for the balance, I'm sorry it was so hard. (Remember, I didn't have time to test it thoroughly) My testing went like this:

*Play the siege, tweak. Repeat x5.
*When siege is perfect, place units that I had in the testing into the game and test that part.
*Once perfect, remove units.
*Tweak map at all times

The only part I didn't have time to test was the part where you steal the boat, but with your hero and the priest to heal him, you could do that. It would just take a while.

I didn't have that much trouble beating it, but I didn't actaully test the whole game through. I'd use the editor to speed the testing so I wouldn't have to start over each time I changed something. Also, even though I don't play multiplayer or even random map, I have played AoE for years and understand the AI perfectly. I can predict what the computer will do in nearly any given circumstance.

Ingo invented the Burning at the stake bit, but I'm sure I'm the first to use the mercenary thing. Long live Ingo! The use of language files was the first modding I ever did, it's easy, so why not?

I've had AoE for years, and I've read all the articles. I know all about map design, I just didn't have time for the empty spots.

Maybe pt. 2 will hold up to the quality of this one, I'm not sure.

Thanks for taking the time to review!

[Edited on 03/08/08 @ 10:28 PM]

Mapppp
Even though it was hard, it was still a great game! I think I can help you a little with your problems you mentioned. From experience, I can say that you shouldn't use the EE to design your cities. The EE places buildings a half square off from the normal editor, which can cause problems. Make all the main buildings and paths in your city with the normal editor, than use the EE to place Trade Workshops, extra roads and eyecandy, etc. When it comes to open plains, all you need is time. It may take a really long time to cover every inch of your map in grass patches and other eye candy, but it is easy to do when you have a good amount of time to work. Whie it is frustrating to spend that much time clicking repeatedly on the open grass, it will pay off when it comes to the final product. Hope my comments helped! Also, I may eventually ask for help with AI for some of my projects. You seem to know it well, as I can tell from the siege.
Ninetails
File Author
I am good with .ai files, .per files are a bit trickier, but the last time I messed with them was 3 years ago, I could probably understand them better now.
c4master Damn, this one is really hard!
I've just read that the yellow player really runs out of ressources...well this changes a lot, I hope. Btw. I think the map is great. Maybe I'll do another review.
c4master
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5
Balance4.5
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.5
I've managed to finish this awesome campaign and I'd like to give it another review because imho it deserves even better score than the ones it got from Jimmy.

Playability: 4.5
I enjoyed playing "The Fate On Inyara" and I think that I might play it again someday. The scenario is rather slow but still very challanging, which I really like.

Balance: 4.5
If you know what to do (and how) then balance is perfect. Since I didn't know that the yellow enemy will run out of ressources I thought this campaign would be impossible, first. I guess that many players will give in because they don't believe that the yellow player will slow down his attacks or even run out of ressources. On the other hand knowing that yellow will run out of ressources I only built one priest and could complete all the tasks without any more units. All the other parts of the map are well-balanced.

Creativity: 5
Many nice ideas are inlucded in this single-scenario-campaign. You have to free your heros, defend against enemies, fight through forests, kill very strong units and so on. The new units and buildings were used in a good way to make it harder and more realistic. All in all, this is what a campaign should be like.

Map Design: 5
Here I really have to disagree with Jimmy. The map is absolutely great! The rivers, forests, cities...just everything looks very good. Of course, there are a lot of design tricks which haven't been used, but remember that it is only one scenario. Noone would include every trick in just one scenario.

Story/Instructions: 4.5
The story is lovely, the instructions are clear and the bitmap is not only useful but also very pretty. The only thing I have to complain about is the high difficulty: the hints are not very concrete and the most important hint is missing. A little bit more of a background would have been nice, but it's ok.

Additional Comments:
download recommendation: Yes.

The difficulty might be high, but other top-rated campaigns have similar difficulties. Remembering that all the online players are much better than I am, I think that most players will still be able to archieve all the goals without cheating.
Ninetails
File Author
Wow! Thanks for the great review! I will fix up the scenario a bit for the full campaign, and I will add the history then. I didn't bother with the history because I thought nobody read (since I don't) but I didn't think about the fact that even if you normally don't read it, you would before rating it.

I'm glad you liked the battle with yellow, I had fun designing it.

What was the "obvious hint" that I left out? (limited yellow resources?) I wasn't really sure how to go about the hints.

[Edited on 04/01/08 @ 06:05 PM]

Pages: « First « 1 [2]

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5