Back to Age of Empires Heaven Welcome to The Granary (Download Central)
Welcome
Downloads Home
Review Guidelines
Main site
Forums
Code of Conduct
Search

Advanced Search
Rise of Rome: Single Player Scenarios
Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Centurion (Updated!)

Author File Description
zapdotep
File Details
Difficulty: Easy
You get one Macedonian Centurion. He must fight through a cave full of trolls (clubmen)! You need the Speed Editor to have fun with this:

http://aoe.heavengames.com/dl-php/showfile.php?fileid=25

I apologize to Scenario_t_c for using his fog template in such a noobic scenario.

8/2/08:
Don't play at Easiest or Easy setting. Please set the difficulty to "Moderate" or higher.

9/28/08:
Updated version added! It should work now.
Original: 140 clubmen
Updated: 103 clubmen
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
MrCheeze Except on "Easy" or "Easiest" difficulty, the trolls gang up on me at the corners, making it impossible. Fix please.
Ninetails
(id: TailSpray)
I'm not sure he can, he said in the forums that he was banned from AoE, like I almost was.
MrCheeze Oh yeah, that sucks.
Dean McCullough
Rating
Breakdown
Playability2.0
Balance1.5
Creativity2.0
Map Design1.0
Story/Instructions3.1
Playability: 2
1 centurion, 140 clubmen. 1v1 throughout a large tunnel. As the story goes, the author claims you can use the speed editor to change the outcome of the game. The faster you set the speed editor to, the more likely you are to win. Unfortunatley, this was the opposite in my case. At slower speeds I was able to dictate when my centurion attacked, and so I could save some HP. On higher speed levels, I would always die somewhere along the last tunnel. I guess this is sort of interesting to watch, but considering it doesn't even really work like it's supposed to I'd have to say this is well below average.

Balance: 1.5
Balance here is not so good. Mainly because the author's guidelines aren't correct in explanation. It's really all too simple anyway and isn't exactly a challenge oriented game.

Creativity: 2
Sort of interesting concept---use the speed editor to manipulate your chances of winning/losing. It's very easy to see how it works though. At higher levels, you can't dictate what your centurion is doing and therefore it will take a few extra hits. Overall, a bit intresting but still pretty lame.

Map Design: 1
Map design is obviously not supposed to be a factor in this game, but really I thought the blank map was a big eyesore and is just another one the reasons I didn't spend a lot of time with this scenario.

Story/Instructions: 3.1
Short and sweet, good hints and simple bitmap. The hints were a bit misleading and the story was quite short, but this was good enough for me.

Additional Comments:

[Edited on 08/02/08 @ 01:34 PM]

zapdotep
File Author
Thanks for the review, Dean!
It looks like I forgot to put this in the instructions: You're not supposed to try to control the Centurion. Doing so will actually delay him from attacking for a brief moment, allowing the troll to attack first. After you start you should not need to do anything but watch.
By speeding up I meant reeaalllyy speeeeed...Set it to the max, aka Java Junkie! Then he'll get through the whole cave with around twenty (20) hp left.

The following stuff may not be accurate because I can't test (not allowed to play aoe):
The problems at easiest and easy may be caused by the program overriding the settings in the Passive per. The easiest and easy settings are supposed to reduce the response distance of all computer player units to a certain percentage of their LoS. However they're numbers that do not respect the Per so instead of not responding to an enemy until attacked, the units respond once they are within a certain distance.
So don't play this at easiest or easy!

[Edited on 08/02/08 @ 07:47 PM]

Nezon So why arent you allowed to play again?
Dean McCullough I played on hardest, and put the speed up really quite high... It was when I couldn't control the centurion that it died faster. When I just let it go, it died well before reaching the end, unlike at slower speeds... So the opposite of what you said would happen happened. When I put it on Java Junkie and just let him go, he died even faster than normal.

[Edited on 08/09/08 @ 11:54 AM]

zapdotep
File Author
*frustrated sound*
Looks like it doesn't work on other peoples' computers. I guess the reason it worked on mine because I used an eight-year-old comp and it was slow enough so that it glitched in the human player's favor when the game speed was increased.

I used an old computer from 2000. 500mhz Celeron processor and 256mb ram, OS is Windows 98.

------

I am not allowed to because my parents got mad at me after I spent hours and hours day after day for nearly two weeks working on my microscopic map contest entry.

------

9/28/08:
I was allowed on AoE a short time today, so I fixed it.

------
12/7/08:
V Thanks AMRDeuce for review.
V

[Edited on 12/07/08 @ 04:27 PM]

AMRDeuce
Rating
Breakdown
Playability1.9
Balance1.7
Creativity2.4
Map Design2.4
Story/Instructions3.0
Playability: 1.9
You are 1 vs. about 100 clubmen. You have to speed up the game and set it to hardest settings to play it. I did, and I played it...the updated version...kinda. If you let it go with some aid from you, you (at least I did) wind up with with about 20HP at the end. Not much, but it's enough to make it through without dying.

Balance: 1.7
It's in the clubmen's favor at first, but the centurion single-handedly kills all of them. Kinda balanced, but not enough to play it yourself (not having the computer control it for the distance).

Creativity: 2.4
You're in a tunnel. You fight a lot of clubmen. This gets a decent rating because it's not one of those "destroy the town center to win" or you have a flying dutchman to annihilate everything from the start.

Map Design: 2.4
Again, it's a tunnel. A tunnel that is shaped like a snake. A tunnel that seems to go for forever. With no eye candy.

Story/Instructions: 3
Detailed story, hints, graphic, the whole nine yards. Gets a decent rating here.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability1.9
Balance1.6
Creativity2.2