Back to Age of Empires Heaven Welcome to The Granary (Download Central)
Welcome
Downloads Home
Review Guidelines
Main site
Forums
Code of Conduct
Search

Advanced Search
Rise of Rome: Single Player Scenarios
Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Download File Post Review Post Comment

The Gallic War

Author File Description
adrianus
File Details
Difficulty: Moderate
This is a scenario based on the map of France of Dean McCullough. As Rome you have to defeat 4 allied Gallic tribes and the Germans.
Summary of all Updates:
Map improvement
AI changes
Starting units changed
Starting conditions changed
Technologies changed
No siege weapons.
Victory condition changed
Bitmap added.
Thanks to the Dark Archer for helping me with this file.
I made another update, so it must be version 1.5 . Lot of map rendering and some other changes.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
The Dark Archer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.8
Balance3.0
Creativity3.5
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions1.5
The Gallic War is a nice Build and Destroy from a relatively new designer adrianus who shows a lot of promise with this scenario.

Playability: 3.8
For the most part I found this scenario rather enjoyable but there were a few problems that took this score down a bit. It looked like Germany got taken out by one of the other computer players as when I got to attacking them their town was a ghost town which was a small problem. The victory conditions to destroy the Gauls and capture three ruins where fairly simple once if you knew the layout but still rather fun. However with those problems being said I feel that the Celts worked well dropping in groups of soldiers to harass my forward base and small army. The playability would benefit from possibly making the scenario a bit harder still perhaps by beefing up Gaul a bit.

Balance: 3
The easy to moderate rating from the designer is in about the right range of difficulty. I was able to complete the whole scenario in one sitting but was left feeling that there should have been more of a fight. As you are in the iron age and your opponents in bronze but have numbers it still just isn't enough. Improvements have been made although the I feel more handicaps are needed for the player. Possibly taking siege would make it more difficult.

Creativity: 3.5
The map design shows some great creativity but unfortunately the lack of story brings the story down. The new Victory Conditions are certainly an improvement from the conquest victory Improvements here would be simple more story and possibly some interesting and unique individual victory conditions but the current ones aren't too bad.

Map Design: 4
This is by far the best part of the scenario and what really shows the potential of this new designer. Overlapping dats are used to nicely merge various resources and well placed cliffs change the scenario greatly from the starting template. However there are a few small problems I'd like to see addressed. Mainly more terrain rendering on the land part of the map and making sure that forests aren't laid down with an overlapping dat. However with that being said I find the unique shorelines a very nice design.

Story/Instructions: 1.5
Unfortunately this is the part that lets this scenario down. There are a couple of lines written and a bitmap has been shipped with the scenario but seems it hasn't actually been set to display in the scenario which is a let down. No clear objectives are listed at all but it does point strongly at the conquest victory. A short history has been provided but really I feel more detail is needed. The story would be greatly improved with some sort of back story in the main section and more information in the history. Also getting the map in the scenario itself would be a great help.

Additional Comments:
I think this is a fantastic first scenario and look forward to more designs from adrianus in the future. Some good small improvements have been done and I look forward to the possibility of more in the future. :)

Should I download:
If you are after a simple B&D conquest game then definitively. If you are after something a little more original then maybe not but I'd still recommend it.

[Edited on 11/25/09 @ 07:30 AM]

adrianus
File Author
Thank you for the long review, Dark Archer. I will update this file with some of your good advices in the nearer future, after some gametesting.
My intention to submit this file was to use some of the great templates of Dean McCullough. I´m
wondering why no one of the designers here made a scenario with one of his maps, although they were downloaded so often.
The Dark Archer Feel free to post some stuff on the forums about what you are doing and give me a yell about any updates so I can take another shot at it and update the review. ;)

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.8
Balance3.0
Creativity3.5