Back to Age of Empires Heaven Welcome to The Granary (Download Central)
Welcome
Downloads Home
Review Guidelines
Main site
Forums
Code of Conduct
Search

Advanced Search
Rise of Rome: Single Player Campaigns
Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Roma

Author File Description
Thompsoncs
File Details
Number of Scenarios: 48
Difficulty: Hardest
This is the final version. I will only fix bugs now. Map design and balance have been improved and most maps have edited ai en per files. I also added an edited dll file to give it a more Roman style.

The campaign consist of some large build maps but most of them are unit-only historical battles. Many of these battles were historically won because of one event, which you must try to achieve.

I've put many days working in this campaign so I hope Soem of you will take the time to review and give some advise or bugreports
Pages: « First « 1 [2]
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Thompsoncs
File Author
outdated

[Edited on 09/08/10 @ 01:38 PM]

Thompsoncs
File Author
I'm now working on a new big update. Covering up empty pieces of maps. Also I am trying to make it even more historical accurate. I looked through some articles about AI, PER and DLL editing. I already changed some and I definetely like that comp is lots more aggr and trains more units. Also I added some diplomacy into missions and totally revised some maps. It will take some time though. In the meantime... If I don't get comments I'll only change what I thought not good enough. So maybe not editing a problem you saw in my campaign, or removing a piece you liked.
Rasteve
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance2.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions3.0
Type: Historical
Scenarios: 48
Version Reviewed: 23/10/09 (DD/MM/YY)

Playability: 3
The majority of the campaigns are deathmatch-style or pitch battles. Due to the high number of scenarios this can begin to be dull. Furthermore, the better scenarios are near the beginning, with only a few standout scenarios in the second half. The balance is a little off which doesn't help, but the fact that it is based on history does keep you going. It would be nice to see a couple of RM-styled and/or RPG-style scenarios mixed in to break it up.

Balance: 2
This is probably the biggest weakness - most scenarios are too easy. In fact, nearly every battle scene is too easy - the more difficult ones concern the deathmatch style gameplay. For me I had beat most on first try.

Creativity: 4
There are some nice tricks, particulary in the earlier scenarios (invisible walls, repeating maps, up-hill tower charges etc) and I would say the only downside is the apparent over use of standard pitch battles. As this follows history I wouldn't suggest removing them, but giving them something else (tactical thinking required!). The game comes with modified language files - and particulary for the earlier campaigns it plays out like a mod.

Map Design: 4
In several scenarios the map design is excellent - in others a little underdeveloped, and in a very few non-existant. Considering the better scenarios map design, it would be nice to see this consistently applied throughout. Some bugs (such as shallows being too narrow etc) could be fixed easily, and it is only the final few scenarios that appear to be very plain (with all due respect, the designer has undertaken a mammoth project with 48 scenarios!).

Story/Instructions: 3
The history is there but in the wrong place. I would suggest simplifying the layout a little (put history in the history section, ensuring all victory and defeat have text, hints and objectives are clear). With objectives, I would suggest that player colours are identified with the latin names (as some are quite difficult to grasp at first, and in several scenarios you need to destroy/defeat a range of different enemies/buildings). Bitmaps are included which show a rough map of the region. The text does need spell checking, and the language files need some minor updates.

Additional Comments:
This is a work-in-progress, so the review may be outdated by the time you see this. In any case I would say download and check out the scenarios. Several play very good as they are, and some minor tweaks here and there the review score would be improved considerably. When the next update is released I will conduct another review.
Rasteve In reference to the above review - do not be disheartened by the score. I can see that you have put a lot of effort into this and would urge you to continue. This is a major project and I would say you have a great platform to build off.

Note, Roma details the Rise of the Roman Empire. It stops right when Rome becomes an empire (defeat of Cleopatra/Marc).
Thompsoncs
File Author
I will not be disheartened at all, you have actually inspired me to take another look at it. The number of scenario's has decreased map design and creativity in the last half, but that will be fixed.

I will release the campaigns in parts like Roma part 1: The Rise to Power. I actually are almost ready with the first part and I will let you know when it is finished.
Thompsoncs
File Author
outdated

[Edited on 09/08/10 @ 01:39 PM]

Pages: « First « 1 [2]

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?