Back to Age of Empires Heaven Welcome to The Granary (Download Central)
Welcome
Downloads Home
Review Guidelines
Main site
Forums
Code of Conduct
Search

Advanced Search
Utility Programs
Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Utility Programs » Unknown Civilization Template & Dat

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Unknown Civilization Template & Dat

Author File Description
Trisolo
(id: scenario_t_c)
Unknown civilization is actually the GAIA civilization we have always known. Through hex-editing the *.scn file, it can be accessed by human or computer player in Age of Empires (without the Rise of Rome expansion pack) campaigns. A showcase campaign Land of Tribulation was also made to display its usage along with other tricks.

More information is available at http://aoe.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=4,5917,0,all.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Axoren When you build as Unknown, it results in a crash, rather than a stall like the comp AI experiences.

Also, Player 6's color is Player 4's color in the Score(F4) every time I play.

Furthermore, units and everything are build normally, but computer priests and cavalry experience anomalies.
Priests move a foot a minute, and cavalry are twice as fast as human cavalry from what I observed.

I still don't know what you mean by "Creating Player Animals" as you stated in the topic. Did you mean that we could possible have pet alligators normally?
Trisolo
File Author

Didn't notice the color issue, will look into it...

Unknown civ players can have GAIA-only-unit, but you can only place these units with the unknown.dat. After saving the *.scn and restoring the original empires.dat, you should not open the *.scn file again or otherwise those units will be gone. In order to test/play the scenario, you must place it in a campaign.
MrCheeze "Furthermore, units and everything are build normally, but computer priests and cavalry experience anomalies.
Priests move a foot a minute, and cavalry are twice as fast as human cavalry from what I observed."

That never happened to me...
Axoren Player 2 created a "Break Dancing" priest that would do the walk animation but move slowly in the direction of walking. I recreated it twice and then nothing more came of it.

The faster cavalry happened every time that the cavalry was created, however, when cavalry was placed prior to playing the scenario, the cavalry placed and cavalry created in the future acted normal.
Trisolo
File Author
What is breakdancing? :S

BTW, why not discuss it in the forum? ;)
PhatFish
Staff
Rating
Rating: 5

This is an amazing discovery made back in the day I messed around with the lengthen combat mode template, which featured the unknown civ. However at the time, it was unknown (pun intended) what this blank civ in the editor civ dropdown menu was - but Scenario_t_c noticed and actually made this into a very useful and above all unique feature - human and AI controlled animals and nature objects through the use of a special edited .dat file.

This adds such a special way to enhance your scenario's, whereas you peviously had to type the GAIA cheat code to access player 0 and control nature. Although it can be a bit difficult to set up, the reward is worth it if you know what you are doing - practice and test and you can create amazing unique settings in your scenario that certainly will stand out. It helps if you have knowledge of hex-editing a scenario and changing the civilization data for each player. Just remember to leave the civ dropdown option alone or you'll delete the unknown civ setting.

To this day I have barely seen this used - actually the only other scenario besides Trisolo's Land of Tribulation I can think of is my recently released campaign Night of the Dragon, which features an AI controlled dragon and alligators. I would like to see more scenario's which have the unknown civ in the future.

Overall this template is very cool and unique, and there are many ways to incorporate the unknown civ and nature objects controlled by the player. Instructions are pretty clear and you should definitely give this a try!

PhatFish

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Statistics
Downloads:278
Favorites: [Who?]1