Back to Age of Empires Heaven Welcome to The Granary (Download Central)
Welcome
Downloads Home
Review Guidelines
Main site
Forums
Code of Conduct
Search

Advanced Search
Age of Empires: Single Player Scenarios
Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Age of Empires: Single Player Scenarios » The Eagle of Rome, The Lioness of the Nile

Download File Post Review Post Comment

The Eagle of Rome, The Lioness of the Nile

Author File Description
Gordon Farrell
File Details
Difficulty: Hard
In 48 B.C. Julius Caesar landed in Alexandria with 3,200 troops and attempted to conquer Egypt. This kicked off one of the most unnecessary wars in ancient history. Historians agree that Caesar landed in a fit of hubris, believing his reputation alone would cause Egypt to bow down. He stayed because he fell in love with the 22-year-old Queen Cleopatra. The resulting "Alexandrian War" is both a fascinating exercise in sex and politics -- as well as a very difficult military challenge. I've undertaken to capture it in this scenario because of its sheer story-telling value. Good luck! Multiplayer also : ???
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Angel SpineMan
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Very, very nice scenario! Even with the intricate design, it played smoothly on my pc. The gameplay was great but the solution ended up being very easy - I could've won with just the hero and two priests. The path to victory should have been harder, in my opinion but strategy did play a big role and I enjoyed that. I liked the trickery used to have yellow win instead of you if you hadn't destroyed them first although that probably should've been explained in the instructions. The best part of this scenario was the story and the map. Every inch of the map was manicured into a fine looking city with streets and districts with prominent and recognizable features. I loved the palm-lined streets - made the city look very rich and well-kept. In summary, the map was awesome, the gameplay was wonderful but should've been more difficult. Great job!
Richard Ames The zip file seems to be corrupted. Perhaps someone has a copy of the campaign, or maybe Gordon could have one? Otherwise I guess it will be lost. I wonder how it got corrupted, though. It must have been okay originally.

Edit: Got it back :)

[Edited on 08/20/05 @ 07:15 PM]

Richard Ames
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
The Eagle of Rome, The Lioness of Nile

Gordon Farrell’s historical fixed force is a down-to-earth and charming scenario for all players to treasure.

Playability: 5

The gameplay is fixed force style, with a small priest/villager aspect. It’s a short scenario on a small map, so ideal for those not looking to get into a drawn out conquest style level. Having said that it is a short level, it also takes some time to get used to it. It has a strong stealth aspect to the gameplay, especially at first.

Balance: 4

A great mix of challenges – you will have to be observant and patient, yet also at times reckless. Well balanced without being one you set on the shelf for another day because it’s too hard.

Creativity: 5

The causeway is a brilliant effect that is very functional to gameplay. Unlike a shallows bridge, it looks very realistic too. This ust be one of the earliest map design tricks in the book.

It’s often the subtle things, not the major fireworks, that defines a good designer. The ‘unloading transport’ illusion at the start is simple yet quite innovative.

Map: 5

Map design beautiful, and excellent standard for one of the very earliest scenarios. Some beautiful artwork is on display here – e.g. the representation of the Pharos Lighthouse. The map as a whole is a splendid painting, with an accurate and researched city design. The lack of large numbers of gaia embellishment objects is not missed, the maps crispness and clarity speaks for itself.

Story: 5

Beautifully written historical section, with instructions filled with clever prose and some AoE humour as well. The mission parameters and gameplay are crafted well to suit the story, and shows this shows some creativity. Having goals that reflect what is happening in the plot can be difficult to achieve, but links the story and gameplay strongly together. Finally, a great bitmap – functional as a map and looks very ‘official’ – simple in design but very neat.

Overall: 4.8

The Eagle of Rome, The Lioness of Nile is a scenario from a time when scenario design was a very new thing. It speaks of a beautiful simplicity of times gone by, much like the scenarios by Imhotep do. Age of Empires was less than a year old, and there were very few expectations of designers. Yet it is a scenario that is magnificent in every way, still standing up well alongside any campaign made since then. It is a testimony to how a designer can make a wonderful scenario in only a small amount of time. Aspiring designers should remember that anyone can still do this.
IICDO Just finished this and found it quite good. After two or three overland attempts to gain access to the palace I got smart and just pounded away with my juggarnaughts. Once the shoreline was clear I landed with centurions and as any enemy came to me I sent them to their maker. I used my priests to convert some villagers and used them as bait to convert Theodotus and Ponthinus. All in all a good game and tricky ending. Good map design and layout. As this scenario has recieved two great reviews I see no need to repeat what has been said.
c4master I did this one, too and I was totally overwhelmed by the history section! I wonder if there has ever been such great work.
To the scenario itself I got some complaints. First one is that I lost even though I did everything as it was said to me.
Second is that the map is very good but not as gorgeous as the best ones at the Heavens. Well, all right this scenario is pretty old so that's ok. I don't want to reduce it's score just because it is an old scenario.
Third I've got a little question: Why do I have 200 wood and 200 gold when I cannot build anything and even if I convert a villager I cannot build anything except houses and farmes? I thought maybe I should build a temple or whatever but neither could I build it nor did I find one. :(

Still this scenario is one of the best I've ever played and I would recommend it to everyone. :)
skald NOTE: If you download this scenario and then can't find it, here's what's happening. Even though the designer says it's a scenario, and Spineman says it's a scenario, it's not a scenario. It's a campaign. It has a .cpn extension. You need to extract it to the Campaign folder, not the Scenario folder. Then you can find it. It should probably have been put in the Single Player Campaigns rather than Single Player Scenarios to avoid confusing people. Enjoy!

[Edited on 07/14/08 @ 10:10 PM]

PartizanLegis A true classic, hours of creative fun. Puzzles with an element of surprise, you have to be careful with your movements though. The balance is delicate but just, and the map is a joy to look at. A must have for your collection.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5
Balance4.5
Creativity5.0