You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: AoE I vs. AoE II units in RM and DM - who do you think would win?
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 9  Next Page »
posted 07-04-11 03:05 AM ET (US)   
So, if an AoE I civ was able to play an AoE II civ in a random map or deathmatch, who do you think would win, given same player skill? - Also, consider if we allow the AoE I "buildings only take 1/5 damage" or whatever it uses for buildings...

I'm thinking AoE I moving units would kill AoK moving units more easily, but buildings would be a nightmare for AoE I units to kill, full damage or not.

ALso, it seems that AoE I units are slightly cheaper, but the resourcces on a map are less.
Replies:
posted 07-04-11 05:30 AM ET (US)     1 / 212  
Hittites would win. You can't possibly beat 300HP catapults with 15 range and a large AOE area which pwns units and buildings alike - using AOE2 units...well, maybe Mongols and their Keshiks.

Realiticly, AOE2 armies should thrash AOE1 armies. Its like placing napoleons army againt Nazi Germany in WWII...though...the French wouldve probably seen the same result in the end :P

AOE Multi stats (Played/Won/Draw/Loss)
All Time 33 25 4 4
As Sumerians 14 12 2 0
This Year 17 13 2 2
As Sumerians 8 7 1 0
posted 07-04-11 02:20 PM ET (US)     2 / 212  
Let's see...AoK's siege sucks, AoE's is waay too poweful. Helepolii pumping Nuff said! lol, but seriously, Centurions with 37 of attack?. And I admit archers are better in AOK, but most like their petty cavalry archers have smaller ranges, our Cataphracts (yes not like those crappy ones of the byzantines) beat paladins, with one hand tied to their backs, Legions would beat champions, I bet the armored elephants would beat the slow (and starngely with more hack damage) persian elephants. Our camel riders are stronger than their Heavy camels, and so are our priests. Yup, those petty civs of AoK stand no chance. About buildings: maybe the difficult ones would be the teuton castles and the ottoman bombard towers, because of their range that would be a nuisance even for helepolii, but not for heavy cats. In any case AoE villies build well faster than AoK's, maybe that compensates for their low quality buildings lol.. Oh did i mention that AoE's ships are better even tho they have no piercing armor? Oh and now this raises a question: why AoE towers don't respect their ranges? they always have 1 more than they should.

And I'm glad you didn't even mention AoM...that would be an even worse massacre.

Now talking about real life... of course high middle ages aremies were pretty impressive but also I think that before gunpowder, Imperial romans legions could have beaten most medieval armies.
posted 07-04-11 02:48 PM ET (US)     3 / 212  
Aok buildings of aok have crazy HP. But aoe1 units would indeed win if aok was facing aoe1. Our helepolis (and even ballistas!) outrange thair mangonels or siege onagers.

Their trebuchets would be a pain for a turtler, but our Heavy Cats beats the crap out of them

Also, in aoe you usually bronze at about 12-15 minutes, in aok you read feudal age by then
posted 07-05-11 05:38 PM ET (US)     4 / 212  
I think AoE would win. Our priests could convert half their army before they even managed to get their monks in range to do the same, and they have no chariots. Their buildings would be a challenge and prevent early rushes but we have the best siege weapons also.

I don't remember the numbers but I think our cavalry could beat theirs too, since it's much more flexible (we have [light/medium/heavy] [archer/melee] cavalry, they have what? light, heavy and archer). Unfortunately they have good cavalry counters though.
AoE archery sucks, so this would be an issue.

And if we start to lose, we're the ones with the nuclear weapons handy at the closest town center

Who was that Maud person anyway?
posted 07-05-11 06:43 PM ET (US)     5 / 212  
overcoming their castles, walls and gates can be hard without trebuchets and rams.
posted 07-05-11 07:02 PM ET (US)     6 / 212  
Heavy Catapults clears the way
posted 07-05-11 11:52 PM ET (US)     7 / 212  
Still the building hps are quite a problem, in fact you could just construct 8 AoK houses around the TC in stone age and call it a day.

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
posted 07-06-11 01:26 PM ET (US)     8 / 212  
You're overrating the buildings. Before The Conquerors updates (where they changed the turtle ship looks, made war wagons weaker and conquistadores stronger) I could use the Korean 12 range, fully reserched Siege onagers (after the update they went 11, right? heh so bad for them: more points for helepolii) to tear down castles, and walls with no help from trebuchets. Sure it took a while but it was done within an acceptable period of time, and Siege onagers have only 15 more attack points than the H cats.

Also while one builds a town center and 8 houses in AoK, one had build a real city in AoE. AoK Villies are so slow! Must be the females hmm lol

It's interesting how crossbowman and basse say "our" when at least the swede is openly and obviously more AoK than AoE :P (i wonder why i do like to make a nuisance of that lol, sorry)

[This message has been edited by Suppiluliuma (edited 07-06-2011 @ 01:30 PM).]

posted 07-06-11 03:40 PM ET (US)     9 / 212  
Aok only because of the triggers. Aoe1 for the gameplay!
posted 07-06-11 05:05 PM ET (US)     10 / 212  
Look at the OP.

"consider if we allow the AoE I "buildings only take 1/5 damage""

Who was that Maud person anyway?
posted 07-07-11 09:04 AM ET (US)     11 / 212  
By this I mean that if AoK attack AoE I buildings, they do the reduced damage.

If AoE attack AoK buildings, they do the full damage as happens in AoK.

As for surrounding the TC, there will also be the other player's houses near there too, so it could be wasteful to attempt this You could just use villies with loom researched to try and harass the AoE civ, either way makes AoK civ slower to reach Fuedal or Castle...
posted 07-08-11 03:17 PM ET (US)     12 / 212  
BTW, building foundations in AoK were undestructible, right? Now i get Fruitfish's concern. Of course to build 8 houses you would need wood to do so and that takes time.

[This message has been edited by Suppiluliuma (edited 07-08-2011 @ 03:18 PM).]

posted 07-09-11 08:46 AM ET (US)     13 / 212  
And I'm glad you didn't even mention AoM...that would be an even worse massacre.
Ah but we train faster, farm better and have the best counter units! Admit hoplite vs hoplite would end with AoE win, but hypaspist vs AoE hoplite would end with a hypaspist win hands down (And the AoM arhcers are considerably more powerful than their AoE equiv)

Look:
AoK has best buildings - they should anyway
AoM has best archers and counter units
AoE has best everything else pretty much

Leader and Trigger Artist of Mythic Studios
I need players for my Peloponnesian War RPG (Its Semi-Historical)
Now quit being a bitch and quote me in your signature like Yeebaagooon used to. ~Out Reach
posted 07-10-11 12:57 PM ET (US)     14 / 212  
Best archers? hmm i'm not sure. They do have a lousy (I admit it, more realistic) accuracy. Now Hypaspist with only 7 of attack beating a fully upgraded 24 attack/12 armor/120 hp hoplite? I'd like to see that. I have to admit AoM Chariot archers are better than AoE's, but the rest is in doubt. Besides AoE and RoR have their not so secret weapon: absurdly powerful siege weapons.

[This message has been edited by Suppiluliuma (edited 07-10-2011 @ 12:58 PM).]

posted 07-10-11 06:13 PM ET (US)     15 / 212  
lol

you forget they have bonus's scripted in, so the hypaspist would deal even higher than that

and you also forget archers with flaming pitched and cavalry beat siege easy!

AND you forget myth and heroes!

Now quit being a bitch and quote me in your signature like Yeebaagooon used to. ~Out Reach
posted 07-10-11 06:19 PM ET (US)     16 / 212  
Not even cavalry beats Helepolis, trust me
posted 07-11-11 01:30 AM ET (US)     17 / 212  
Civs with Helepolis and Heavy Cat would be able to take down the archer and cav combo - Cats have bigger range than archers, squash them while Helepolii guards the Cats and takes out the cavalry. Also put some Centurions in front of the Helepolii... ;p
posted 07-11-11 11:57 AM ET (US)     18 / 212  
ah but you forget priest spam

and there is nothing in AoE that can beat a myth unit, admit that, especially the later game ones, such as the colossus, chimera and fire giant

posted 07-11-11 12:23 PM ET (US)     19 / 212  
I think AoE's Siege can beat myth units... which btw are limited in numbers due to the limited amount of favor and the population slots they take. And you can't deny that in AoM large numbers of human soldiers can beat myth units so i see nothing impeding AoE's units from doing so. Oh and thanks for reminding me the priests. Be prepared for an army of colossi to be turned to our side.
posted 07-12-11 05:58 AM ET (US)     20 / 212  
AoK "priests" aren't as good as AoE ones anyway are they? (Cats could squish them just like the archers...) Does AoM even have priests? (I've only played a demo...)
posted 07-12-11 07:29 AM ET (US)     21 / 212  
AOM has priests (egypt) but they cannot convert...

AOE Multi stats (Played/Won/Draw/Loss)
All Time 33 25 4 4
As Sumerians 14 12 2 0
This Year 17 13 2 2
As Sumerians 8 7 1 0
posted 07-12-11 10:30 AM ET (US)     22 / 212  
... Unless your Set, in which case they can convert animals to your side, they also get a pharaoh

although, a 1500 HP 69% crush armour 50 Crush Attack 20 Hack Attack Gold Colossus would rip through catapults!

Then you forget... GOD POWERS!

posted 07-12-11 10:46 AM ET (US)     23 / 212  
In aoe1 we have some gods too, they're called centurions. Their idiotic attack/hp/armor combo will smash your colossus, because we can probably train a lot more of them.

And we have slingers that know how to deal with giants (david and goliath)
posted 07-12-11 12:48 PM ET (US)     24 / 212  
Combined with Helepolis spread out, Colossus will be taken down!

Unfortunately they would be crushed within seconds at the hands of this Colossus... ;p

1,000,000 HP and 40,000 damage per second on the firing side...

[This message has been edited by JamikKim (edited 07-12-2011 @ 12:51 PM).]

posted 07-12-11 06:14 PM ET (US)     25 / 212  
In an AOK vs. AOE match, if we based unit stats on which civ was best, cataphracts would have a serious problem with 192 HP paladins...but centurions would rip through everything, even Teutonic Knights. But let's see the centis face a Teuton castle, only let's thrown in the final archery upgrade. (They normally don't get it.) The result, adding twenty garrisoned archers, is a castle dealing 14x15 arrows from 13 range. That'd be pretty hard for a few centurions to get through. And heavy cats are countered nicely by AOK's cavalry.

As for not having chariots, hussars deal bonus damage to monks and are conversion resistant, but are, admittedly, weaker than chariots. So what? They have wings. They look cooler!

"Preparation is not prevention. Just because you know what's coming does not mean you can stop it."
--Me

Something to remember: always know where you're going, but never forget where you came from.

The Age of Chivalry is upon us! Visit the only wiki devoted exclusively to Aoc:H by clicking on the preceding link. Oh yeah, and it works with the HD edition, too--just make sure to get this first.
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 9  Next Page »
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome » AoE I vs. AoE II units in RM and DM - who do you think would win?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames