Please login or register

AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Build Order Editor
posted 09-05-11 08:49 PM ET (US)   
It goes without saying that I have been away for a very long time, but as you may have guessed, new project time:

To answer some of the voices in my head:

What is Build Order Editor?
It is a utility to help people construct AI files for Age of Empires.

Why not call it AI Editor?
Firstly, the AI files are essentially the build orders for a specific player in the game. Secondly, I am planning on making the utility data driven.

Why data driven?
By making it data driven nothing is hard-coded. A simple config file can be constructed allowing this utility to be used in any other game which supports some concept of "build orders".

Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lifes?
All these questions are putting me in a bad mewd.

What about Age of Heroes
Still on hold I'm afraid. Once I have a few utilities I will finish AoH.

Sounds complicated, can you show me pretty pictures?
Here are some early designs:

Feel free to comment, question or request features.
Replies:
posted 09-06-11 05:56 AM ET (US)     1 / 23  
Looks good. How exactly will this be able to load the very complex ai things of age of italy mod? Every civ, every unit is different.

And the resource thing. In my mod some techs decrease cost for certain things. And in normal RoR civ bonus would need to be kept in mind.
posted 09-06-11 06:12 AM ET (US)     2 / 23  
This would be cool for making stupid silly AI's like Deathmatch ScOuTz RaMpAge...

As well as your "normal" ones as well...maybe an Assy rm practice for noobs since everyone loves chariots...
posted 09-06-11 07:54 AM ET (US)     3 / 23  
Looks good. How exactly will this be able to load the very complex ai things of age of italy mod? Every civ, every unit is different.
It will read the empires.dat file directly and use the technology section to determine the tech tree for each civ. It will use the tech tree to control what options are available and any validation performed.
And the resource thing. In my mod some techs decrease cost for certain things. And in normal RoR civ bonus would need to be kept in mind.
Resource tracker is more of a guide, but by reading key elements of the dat file it should be easy to give rough figures for resource requirements. Cross-referencing against technologies will allow figures to be adjusted depending on what techs are included (and should pick up techs which reduce costs too).

I will be working on the Welcome form this week.
posted 09-07-11 05:14 PM ET (US)     4 / 23  
So this will work for AOK and SWGB as well? And mods? How will it recognize mods? Will it recognize AOK mods?

"Preparation is not prevention. Just because you know what's coming does not mean you can stop it."
--Me

Something to remember: always know where you're going, but never forget where you came from.

The Age of Chivalry is upon us! Visit the only wiki devoted exclusively to Aoc:H by clicking on the preceding link. Oh yeah, and it works with the HD edition, too--just make sure to get this first.
posted 09-07-11 05:51 PM ET (US)     5 / 23  
If AoK and SWGB have the same "AI" file concept then it will pick these games up. Mods will also be okay.

Because mods are done within the dat file and the tool will read the dat file, it will pick mods up too.
posted 09-07-11 06:29 PM ET (US)     6 / 23  
Good. I hope it reads the dat file's line on pop limit (in case it was edited) instead of assuming a pop limit of 50?

"Preparation is not prevention. Just because you know what's coming does not mean you can stop it."
--Me

Something to remember: always know where you're going, but never forget where you came from.

The Age of Chivalry is upon us! Visit the only wiki devoted exclusively to Aoc:H by clicking on the preceding link. Oh yeah, and it works with the HD edition, too--just make sure to get this first.
posted 09-07-11 07:55 PM ET (US)     7 / 23  
Pop limit is stored in the empires.exe. This would probably need to be specified in the editor itself.
posted 09-08-11 10:41 AM ET (US)     8 / 23  
AoK and SWGB
They have a completely different AI system
posted 09-08-11 11:54 AM ET (US)     9 / 23  
Could you copy and paste examples of these files here so I can take a quick look.
posted 09-08-11 11:56 AM ET (US)     10 / 23  
;***Attack triggers***

(defconst USE_STONE_AMOUNT_TO_ATTACK YES)
;change "YES" to "NO" if you don't use stone-amount to trigger this AI attack.

(defconst ATTACK_TRIGGER_STONE_AMOUNT 9990)
;set the amount of stone to trigger this AI to attack.(max:9999 > value > min:-1)

(defconst USE_TRIGGER_TO_ATTACK NO)
;change "NO" to "YES" if you wish to use trigger to let the AI attack.

(defconst ATTACK_TRIGGER 1)
;set the value of the trigger you wish to use when you want this AI to attack.(max:255 > value > min:1)

(defconst USE_TAUNT_TO_ATTACK NO)
;change "NO" to "YES" if you wish to use trigger to let the AI attack.

(defconst ATTACK_TAUNT 31)
;set the value of the taunt you wish to use when you want this AI to attack.(max:255 > value > min:1)

;***Defend (stop attacking) triggers***

(defconst USE_STONE_AMOUNT_TO_STOP_ATTACK NO)
;change "NO" to "YES" if you do use stone-amount to trigger this AI to stop attack.

(defconst STOP_ATTACK_TRIGGER_STONE_AMOUNT 9989)
;set the amount of stone to trigger this AI to stop attacking.(max:9999 > value > min:-1)

(defconst USE_TRIGGER_TO_STOP_ATTACK NO)
;change "NO" to "YES" if you wish to use trigger to let the AI stop attacking.

(defconst STOP_ATTACK_TRIGGER 1)
;set the value of the trigger you use when you want this AI to stop attacking.(max:255 > value > min:1)

(defconst USE_TAUNT_TO_STOP_ATTACK NO)
;change "NO" to "YES" if you wish to use trigger to let the AI stop attacking.

(defconst STOP_ATTACK_TAUNT 15)
;set the value of the taunt you wish to use when you want this AI to attack.(max:255 > value > min:1)

;(defrule
;(timer-triggered 7)
;(players-unit-type-count any-enemy knight > 0)
;(players-unit-type-count every-enemy militiaman-line == 0)
;(players-unit-type-count every-enemy eagle-warrior-line == 0)
;(goal 15 1)
;(goal 14 0)
;(strategic-number sn-target-evaluation-continent > 9990)
;(current-age == feudal-age)
;=>
;(enable-timer 7 114)) ;refresh Timer for the PikeResearch
#load-if-not-defined ATZEC-CIV
#load-if-not-defined MAYAN-CIV
(defrule
;(not (timer-triggered 7))
(or
(and
(goal 39 1)
(unit-type-count-total spearman-line < 2))
(and
(or
(building-type-count-total stable > 1)
(building-type-count-total barracks > 2))
(goal 15 1)))
(current-age == feudal-age)
(goal 3 1)
(players-unit-type-count any-enemy knight-line >= 1)
(goal 1 1)
(wood-amount >= 60)
(can-train spearman-line)
=>
(train spearman-line))
#end-if

[This message has been edited by Basse (edited 09-08-2011 @ 11:59 AM).]

posted 09-08-11 11:59 AM ET (US)     11 / 23  
That looks more like a personality file.
posted 09-08-11 01:13 PM ET (US)     12 / 23  
In aok, AI and PER are mixed together.
posted 09-09-11 08:36 AM ET (US)     13 / 23  
Thanks Basse.

Short story -
This utility will not support AoK/SWGB.

Long story -
AoK and SWGB does not have the concept of build orders existing in a single list. In fact, the AI files appear to always be blank (from the ones I have downloaded).

The PER file contains all of the detail required for a computer player. It is built up by defining rules. I guess the script is run from top to bottom every so often, and when a condition is met the underlying statements are run.

If AoE had such a concept, then you could have:

if (age = 1) and (wood > 180)
{
barracks_count = 1;
}

There should be plenty of other RTS titles which support build order lists. I will uncover these at a later date.

In the short term it means I can get certain functionality released earlier.
posted 09-15-11 01:40 PM ET (US)     14 / 23  
Why not create a real strat from humans a bronze in 14 or 15 minutes you only need 1 berry 120 wood don't need to lure anything then make pit next to elephants or berries simple a normal human strat in rm or in dm a normal basic strat.
posted 09-15-11 01:56 PM ET (US)     15 / 23  
Because the game engine is not programmed like humans plays. The AI can only do 1 task at a time, and they can't use strategies and only a few tactics.
posted 09-15-11 01:57 PM ET (US)     16 / 23  
Actually I'm the one that can only do 1 thing at a time . The ai is much faster than I am
posted 09-15-11 03:08 PM ET (US)     17 / 23  
Why not create a real strat from humans a bronze in 14 or 15 minutes you only need 1 berry 120 wood don't need to lure anything then make pit next to elephants or berries simple a normal human strat in rm or in dm a normal basic strat.
I have attempted this in the past, and actually had decent results. The main problem is that most of the work is in the PER file. Unfortunately, the game uses default PER files embedded into the exe. You can create scenarios where the CPU is very challenging on RM or DM with a custom PER. You cannot get the same results with standard RM or DM.
posted 11-29-11 08:19 AM ET (US)     18 / 23  
So how are you going with this Rasteve?

"To love Christ -means not to be a hireling, not to look upon a noble life as an enterprise or trade, but to be a true benefactor and to do everything only for the sake of love for God." —St John Chrysostom
"When one returns to the Greek; it is like going into a garden of lilies out of some, narrow and dark house." -Oscar Wilde.
posted 11-29-11 11:01 AM ET (US)     19 / 23  
As usual, Rasteve pops up around August/September, posts some projects and news, to later dissapear for another year
posted 11-29-11 11:33 AM ET (US)     20 / 23  
But before he leaves he's quite ambitious, I'll give him that.
Sadly it are always big projects for which he lacks the time.
posted 11-29-11 02:34 PM ET (US)     21 / 23  
I'm already anticipating his next arrival.

Thompy, there will be a new Modding subforum soon, Suppy thought it was a good idea so it is a go
posted 11-30-11 11:11 AM ET (US)     22 / 23  
I wish I knew how to program like he does. That is the great thing about the Age series or should I say HG, it always seems to attract intelligent people with computer related skills. I only wish they had more spare time to make our spare time more valuable

"To love Christ -means not to be a hireling, not to look upon a noble life as an enterprise or trade, but to be a true benefactor and to do everything only for the sake of love for God." —St John Chrysostom
"When one returns to the Greek; it is like going into a garden of lilies out of some, narrow and dark house." -Oscar Wilde.
posted 11-30-11 03:25 PM ET (US)     23 / 23  
it is a pity about Rasteve...what worries me the most is not the he isn't physically around, but the fact that even though i see him online often he doesn't reply me back.
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome » Build Order Editor
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames