You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: AoEH, back in the golden days.
posted 11-17-11 04:02 PM ET (US)   
I think a lot of you will appreciate this. So much nostalgia for me here

Note: This is an archive, a lot of links may not work and some images may not load.

Prepare yourself!

Heaven's Web

The place that started everything. Archangel was the one who found this place. In the beginning, there were 3 Heavens: AoEH, Imperium Galactica Heaven and Dark Reign Heaven.

Age of Empires Heaven - before release, 1997

This is how the first and original AoEH looked. Lots of grass. Already has a good amount of info and screenshots, mostly beta stuff.

Age of Empires Heaven - News archive!

Here's the complete news archive starting from 11th of October 1997 up to February 2001! AoEH changed looks in 1998, and had a 2 column site. I couldn't access it in the archive however, but I have been able to in the past. I will try to retrieve it again, the archive gives a lot of time-outs from the server. This particular design was used the first time I visited AoEH. It looks a lot like the new design used in 1999.

Age of Empires Heaven - The Tavern

Oh yes, I remember this one. Superb design, really attractive looking page made by Hamlet. An older version of Veni, Vidi, Vici forum was used, and related news was posted regularly. This was THE place to meet other forumers, discuss anything and share stories with eachother.

Age of Empires Heaven - 1999

A new design, which came into use in May IIRC. It is olmost identical to the one we are using today. The menu still uses older graphics (1998).

Age of Empires Heaven - 2000

A new HG logo. I loved reading the "Did you know..." tidbits at the frontpage!

Age of Empires Heaven - 2001

The final HG logo is now in place. AoEH reaches 2.5 million visitors, a major milestone.

Age of Empires Heaven - 2002

Aside from the Granary not using a content manager and a new news system, everything is pretty much as it is today.

Age of Empires Heaven - 2003 - 2011

Age of Empires Heaven! Granary and news updated with managing systems. Many members come and go and a lot of interesting discoveries are being made during these years.

I'm thinking of salvaging some stuff and putting it up again.

Enjoy browsing through all the pages! It's a lot of fun, I garantuee it!
Replies:
posted 11-17-11 04:56 PM ET (US)     1 / 20  
This was all way before my time. I discovered AoEH just a few months before joining it, so somewhere in 2008/2009 probably. I had installed aoe1 again and was searching for mods and was linked to the granary. I started trying some of the things from the granary and decided to join and upload a campaign myself (first version of Roma campaign, which sucked: bad story, basic ai files, no eyecandy and such).

It's nice to see it's history. Who actually were around at the beginning (first 2 years) and are still here?
posted 11-18-11 10:02 PM ET (US)     2 / 20  
Fascinating nonetheless, most of the stuff there is new to me (as far as I can tell: I can't spend much time on the net)
posted 11-19-11 06:49 AM ET (US)     3 / 20  
I actually have spent a lot in the Internet Archives looking back on the early days of the site before this, very interesting indeed.

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
posted 11-19-11 11:07 AM ET (US)     4 / 20  
Cant open the first 2 links :P

Leader and Trigger Artist of Mythic Studios
I need players for my Peloponnesian War RPG (Its Semi-Historical)
Now quit being a bitch and quote me in your signature like Yeebaagooon used to. ~Out Reach
posted 11-19-11 12:43 PM ET (US)     5 / 20  
When I started lurking here we had just advanced from the Age of Ingo to the Age of Andrea.

Who was that Maud person anyway?
posted 11-19-11 01:29 PM ET (US)     6 / 20  
The oldest one I remember was the 1999 version (after RoR but before AoK or Gold Edition were released), but I didn't get an account until 2009 when I found out that AoE's beta version originally had 7 ages and wondered if anyone here knew more about it (or even had a copy).
posted 11-20-11 05:52 AM ET (US)     7 / 20  
Am I the only one who can't access the page?
posted 11-20-11 08:34 AM ET (US)     8 / 20  
posted 11-21-11 11:48 AM ET (US)     9 / 20  
posted 11-21-11 04:00 PM ET (US)     10 / 20  
When this thread first showed up I could visit the 1st 2 links, now not anymore. Perhaps because they are archived they have little availability.
posted 11-23-11 11:43 AM ET (US)     11 / 20  
Well that's a troublesome issue...is tehre a possible solution, computer tech-man Phatfish?
posted 11-23-11 11:58 AM ET (US)     12 / 20  
Well, it might not be the same as visiting the old site, but you can make screenshots of some of the pages so they will be better available.
posted 11-23-11 07:24 PM ET (US)     13 / 20  
^ I was thinking of doing that.

Pages can be accessed through:

http://www.bibalex.org/isis/frontend/archive/archive_web.aspx

or

http://www.archive.org/index.php

If both don't work it's because the server takes too long too retrieve it (timeout) or couldn't connect... which happens a lot on the internet archive
posted 11-25-11 01:14 PM ET (US)     14 / 20  
I was here since the day the sperm met the egg. But I was perma banned a few times and I am not sure if I remember if my account was deleted at one point also.

"To love Christ -means not to be a hireling, not to look upon a noble life as an enterprise or trade, but to be a true benefactor and to do everything only for the sake of love for God." —St John Chrysostom
"When one returns to the Greek; it is like going into a garden of lilies out of some, narrow and dark house." -Oscar Wilde.
posted 11-25-11 01:29 PM ET (US)     15 / 20  
If you were Perma-banned, why are you still around? I mean permanent means forever :P
posted 11-25-11 03:10 PM ET (US)     16 / 20  
Yes but you neglect the power of crying like a baby in 100 emails to be let back in.

[EDIT] One phase of history you left out was when the download section was locked for no further uploads. I think that lasted a year before it was re-opened again.

"To love Christ -means not to be a hireling, not to look upon a noble life as an enterprise or trade, but to be a true benefactor and to do everything only for the sake of love for God." —St John Chrysostom
"When one returns to the Greek; it is like going into a garden of lilies out of some, narrow and dark house." -Oscar Wilde.

[This message has been edited by ephestion (edited 11-25-2011 @ 03:28 PM).]

posted 11-27-11 11:48 AM ET (US)     17 / 20  
Crying like a baby? Is that so? lol
posted 11-27-11 11:55 AM ET (US)     18 / 20  
This is pretty cool

castwcrt rip 2010-2010
posted 11-27-11 08:40 PM ET (US)     19 / 20  
Ah... 2002 was a good year. I think that was the year I discovered this place, as it still didn't have the DL manager.

And I like your sig and your story, ephestion. I used to be around back in the old days, too. However, I was very young (like, 12), loved abandonware, and... ehehehe...

Not that I have any anymore (that I know of).

...[T]he least initial deviation from the truth is multiplied later a thousandfold. -Aristotle, De Caelo

On the lips of the catechist the first proclamation must ring out over and over: “Jesus Christ loves you; he gave his life to save you; and now he is living at your side every day to enlighten, strengthen and free you.” - Pope Francis, The Joy of the Gospel

Call me out if I fail or seem to fail to live up to either of these. Either I will learn something, you will learn something, or we both will.

[This message has been edited by D0CT0R WH0 (edited 11-27-2011 @ 08:43 PM).]

posted 12-07-11 09:59 PM ET (US)     20 / 20  
Even I came here a bit too late. Well, the good thing is that this game is so timeless that there will always be fans playing it, and oldies who come back once in a while to give some life to the gaming community.
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome » AoEH, back in the golden days.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames