You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: If you could change three things about AoE or RoR...
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
posted 05-24-12 08:36 PM ET (US)   
Thought Exercise time!

If you could make up to three "official" changes to AoE and/or RoR, Not a full make over, but fix this/ change this/ Add this feature, what would they be? In order of importance to you?

I'll start:

1) Fix Pathfinding - use the obstruction system and pathfinder from Age of Kings. Units wouldn't get stuck on things, and groups would all end up together

2) Farm Queues - some sort of automatic farm replanting. Nothing worse than all farms expiring while I'm managing a big battle.

3) toss up between Windows 7 / Widescreen compatibility and Adding unit Outlines from Age of Kings.

Your top three?
Replies:
posted 05-24-12 10:18 PM ET (US)     1 / 100  
I totally agree with the ones you put in, but I'll add a few important ones myself.

1 gates and building garissons
2 A fix of the scenario editor. Currently the 1st one is always egypt, 2nd greek and so on. This works fine in the original game, but for mods like mine it would be great that if you set player 1 to be choson, that the scenario editor units change to choson and dont remain egyptian.

This would also be good for the normal game, since you'll better see how a certain building looks in your map, without having to actually test the scenario.

3 Being able to use more than 2 pages of buildings (the villager now only has 20 build options, which is a bit restrictive for mods).

Btw, since your ex-ES, is there any chance that something is going to be done with the info in this thread?

[This message has been edited by Thompsoncs (edited 05-24-2012 @ 10:19 PM).]

posted 05-24-12 10:30 PM ET (US)     2 / 100  
If the format of scx or other files should remain the same I would say:

- All kinds of terrain paintable in editor.
- Reflecting the actual civization settings inside map editor.
- Detailed explantation of the SNs and other AI elements

But if this is supposed to be a "official mod" I would want to reiterate some of my previous ideas:

- Ability to disable specific unit/tech as in AoK Editor. A workaround I had thought of was to make new units that come up with a research item to do so.
- Market with land trading unit and resource buy/sell function like in AoK. In trade war mod I could only manage to make a duplicate of the trade boat for the former, and some invisible + indestructible flags (containing positive or negative amount of golds and other types of resource) that could be trained at trade workshop.
- What you and Thompsoncs said.

Member of Tsunami Studios
Scenario T.C.: “Yes, the traitors can’t be terminated.”
Richard Ames: “Scenario_t_c should take care of them in a succinct but humorous fashion.”
Don Jorge de Leon: “Ave Trisolo! Vive Trisolo!”

[This message has been edited by Trisolo (edited 05-24-2012 @ 10:32 PM).]

posted 05-25-12 02:11 AM ET (US)     3 / 100  
Fix Elephant hunting, AI doesn't hunt them, and I'd feel if this were fixed it'd lead to faster age progression.

Better AI resource management. Seeing villagers mine for gold and stone in the stone age is really nerve wracking. Something like SNXGathererPercentageY (Where X represents the resource and Y represents the age the computer player should insert the new gatherer percentage into)

More *.per strategic numbers.

[This message has been edited by Cyrix (edited 05-25-2012 @ 03:57 AM).]

posted 05-25-12 05:45 AM ET (US)     4 / 100  
1: Add triggers to the scenario editor (aoc ones!)

2: Scenarios being transferred automatically in multiplayer games

3: Optimize for newer computers. Ability to use and allocate way more memory, use at least 1 processor core for more than 10%, higher resolution options (4k resolution monitors coming in a year or so), windowed mode etc. There is no difference playing aoe on a 10 years old computer and a modern computer.
posted 05-25-12 08:19 AM ET (US)     5 / 100  
Nice to see you again Trisolo

1. As basse said, Triggers! I want these! Would simply be the best feature that could possibly be added. So many new possibilities, depth, features... it would turn AoE/RoR upside down! And it would draw in so many new people. Just imagine what could be achieved with this.

All kinds of terrain paintable in editor
this, and control of elevation height for a single tile, and maybe an option of turning the Lengthen Combat Mode on and off, like in the alpha.

3. Better pathfinding (ala AoK), as Matt suggested.

What I DON'T want to see:

- Unit outlines (player color) when they are hidden behind objects (e.g. Trees) as in AoK. Exception would be if you could turn this option on or off in the editor.
posted 05-25-12 08:25 AM ET (US)     6 / 100  
More diplomatic abilities would also be a nice addition. It could add a lot more depth to the otherwise pretty straight forward search and destroy your enemy.
posted 05-25-12 08:49 AM ET (US)     7 / 100  
More diplomatic abilities would also be a nice addition. It could add a lot more depth to the otherwise pretty straight forward search and destroy your enemy.
Definitely. I'd also like to see the neutral stance stop military units from attacking all together, only attacking when ordered. I don't know how many neutral AI players I've turned enemy because one of their soldiers accidently got into my LOS. True neutrality should be having the option to either attack an neutral player or support them. Like having one my priests go an heal a neutral player without fear of being auto attacked.
posted 05-25-12 11:51 AM ET (US)     8 / 100  
Mine are rather simple :P

1) Better path finding without having to set way points every time!
2) Villages auto task once you build an economic building next to resources
3) More Diplomacy options
posted 05-25-12 11:56 AM ET (US)     9 / 100  
@Phatfish

Hey, long time no see. I may begin my PhD study this August, so there are even less time for me to do AoE stuff.

I totally agree with the unit outline issue, that is what made the ambush in AoE/RoR realistic.

Another big no-no - I recall either the AoK:TC Userpatch or the upcoming forgotten empire (or other) mod allowing computer player to capture GAIA units, which is bad because it would kill nearly all of the old campaigns.

BTW, regarding the AI, the selection of ply file for a specific player would be much appreciated as well.

Richard Ames: “Scenario_t_c should take care of them in a succinct but humorous fashion.”

[This message has been edited by Trisolo (edited 05-25-2012 @ 12:03 PM).]

posted 05-25-12 12:00 PM ET (US)     10 / 100  
1. Map editor graphics should reflect civilisation and age settings. You wouldn’t believe how irritating this was when I was making the PTC entry.

2. Formations would be nice. Nothing fancy, just enough to not require so much micromanagement.

3. Walkable farms.

Who was that Maud person anyway?
posted 05-25-12 05:24 PM ET (US)     11 / 100  
The only thing I would change is the Chariot Archer cost from wood to gold.

Oh and probably:

Give all infantry units better pierce armour and all cavalry lines more pierce armour, slightly faster speed and bonus damage vs archers.

Also a better trade off from merchant ship trading, 10 Wood = 50 Gold and almost instant loading times.

Having relics or shrines/ruins give you a trickle of gold.

Widescreen patch

Oh and increase resource amounts on natures food, wood, gold, stone by about 50% and increase villager collection speed by about 30%. Balanced so that with 10 on food you can continually produce villagers and age up quickly.

"To love Christ -means not to be a hireling, not to look upon a noble life as an enterprise or trade, but to be a true benefactor and to do everything only for the sake of love for God." —St John Chrysostom
"When one returns to the Greek; it is like going into a garden of lilies out of some, narrow and dark house." -Oscar Wilde.
posted 05-25-12 09:16 PM ET (US)     12 / 100  
Gates would be a great addition!
posted 05-26-12 07:37 AM ET (US)     13 / 100  
Question: What do horse archers have to do with the Iron Age?
trisolo: I think that doesn't apply to campaigns. I don't remember the details, but they assured this was not an issue (and it was brought up)

What I woudl change, most importantly I would create new situations and vulnerabilities
http://apolyton.net/showthread.php/12381-Turn-based-strategy-vs-real-time-strategy
1. A building with enemy nearby works at 50% efficiency. This is more positioning though. A building sufficiently damaged can still research build units, but it will be 25% slower. If you combine these two, thats 75%.
then it becomes a question of: should I keep my men here to make this building work badly, or should I go somewhere else?
2. Add in logistics by giving each unit ammo. The benefits of a chariot would be that he can (I guess) carry a ton of arrows? IDk if this would even work. Also I will take your arrows after your chariot dies, thanks.
3. Fix Pathfinding in a way that doesn't lag

USA
katsup or mustard

[This message has been edited by local boi (edited 05-26-2012 @ 08:00 AM).]

posted 05-26-12 10:11 AM ET (US)     14 / 100  
3. Walkable farms.

With legs and all? :P Joke apart, not sure I understand what you mean Crossbowman.
posted 05-26-12 01:04 PM ET (US)     15 / 100  
@local boi

O RLY? Sounds cool. Did they somehow manage to allow designer or player to select whether computer players could capture or not?

posted 05-26-12 10:51 PM ET (US)     16 / 100  
3. Walkable farms.

With legs and all? :P Joke apart, not sure I understand what you mean Crossbowman.
That’s the meaning of walking farms, not walkable farms Walkable means: that which can be walked upon, as AoK farms.

Who was that Maud person anyway?
posted 05-27-12 02:10 AM ET (US)     17 / 100  
Reduce siege unit accuracy vs non building units.

Enable trade with oneself and the buy/sell resource buttons.

That would be it, lol
posted 05-27-12 02:07 PM ET (US)     18 / 100  
Reduce siege unit accuracy vs non building units.
They're pretty inaccurate against non building units actually. Even the slowest priest can dodge stones and bolts if moved right.

[This message has been edited by Cyrix (edited 05-27-2012 @ 02:08 PM).]

posted 05-27-12 06:15 PM ET (US)     19 / 100  
1. Make farms longer lasting - they were, after all, much more productive than hunting and foraging, and yet, in the game farming has to be postponed as long as possible because it's the slowest way to get food.
2. Fix pathfinding (as already done in RoR, but it could still be better).
3. Fix the bug that crashes the game if you load a saved game with flying missiles at save.
posted 05-27-12 09:17 PM ET (US)     20 / 100  
hey guys, if army units could forage and hunt, and farms were way better, how different would the game be? extreme?

USA
katsup or mustard
posted 05-28-12 06:45 AM ET (US)     21 / 100  
Ah! Now i get it Crossbowmen, Thanks
posted 05-28-12 09:47 AM ET (US)     22 / 100  
I may begin my PhD study this August, so there are even less time for me to do AoE stuff
I hope everything works out for you, that is quite the challenge. Let us know how you are doing I'm glad to hear you're still interested in AoE as well. Also, do you still play AoEO? I quit 2 months ago, I eventually got bored of the repetitiveness and boring quests. There's no magic that keeps me playing...

On the walkable farms - I think this would be quite a challenge to implement. You would need a new type of terrain, and the current farms would be gone forever probably.

Also...

We can't rely only on old men wololo-ing to increase pop...

What AoE needs...

is...

FEMALE VILLAGERS!
posted 05-28-12 06:09 PM ET (US)     23 / 100  
They're pretty inaccurate against non building units actually. Even the slowest priest can dodge stones and bolts if moved right.
Well I, can tell you that when they have ballistics, dodging ballistae/Helepolii bolts is not an easy task even less to if you want to attack. If they were easy to dodge, wouldn't it be way easier for cavalry to kill them?

Now talking about PhD, I wanted to start in August too sadly i was rejected both in the Netherlands (damn you!!! lol J/k) and the US (which actually isn't surpriseing considering).

[This message has been edited by Suppiluliuma (edited 05-28-2012 @ 06:11 PM).]

posted 05-28-12 06:25 PM ET (US)     24 / 100  
The Netherlands? At which university did you apply for a PhD?
posted 05-29-12 00:49 AM ET (US)     25 / 100  
@Phatfish

Very nice idea indeed. I would really love to see how the AoE villagers' wives look like though I doubt an "androgynous" training button like that in AoK could be added to the game.

With Advanced Genie Editor now in support of AoE and RoR, I think my once cancalled modding projects could be revived and finished in a much shorter time, but it would be safer to wait for reports on whether there are bugs for that. On the other hand, I must say it is a bit sad to see AoEd/RoRd retiring though (well, that's for the sake of the whole community ).

For AoEO, I haven't tried the Celts and Skirmish Hall yet before I stopped before the end of last year. Considering I had paid for the so-called season pass higher than its current price, I think I would at least give them a try before deciding whether I would attend the graduate school again.

And since you are not playing anymore, why don't you give me all the blueprints of the structures in your magnificent capital?

I received a conditional offer from an UK university, but the chance for a funded first-year seems moderate .

[This message has been edited by Trisolo (edited 05-29-2012 @ 00:52 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome » If you could change three things about AoE or RoR...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames