Egyptian
Greek
Babylonian
Roman
Persian
Assyrian
Macedonian
Minoan

You may also make a campaign about a non-obscure civ before their days of power (E.g, the Mycenaeans, the early days of Rome, etc).

You may not make a scenario that has the same objective and/or setting as an ES scenario (E.g., the Dorian Invasion). Unless it's totally different.

Campaign Guidelines

You may not modify:
The AoE data file

You may modify:
AI and .per files
Bitmaps - Another needless restriction ousted by the masses
The language files (With hex editing)
.cty files

Templates may be used to access the Trade Workshop, horses, and other beta units but if you want hidden terrains you must create the template yourself. Beta units or hidden terrains will provide no special bonus to your score.

Campaigns must be at least two scenarios long.

Judging will be based on all five major categories (Which can be found in the Granary), but the Story/Hints category will have the added necessity of historical accuracy. If you have a really obscure civ with little background or written history, then you will be given grace. Don't use this as an excuse to do whatever the hell you want, though.

Deadline is the END OF February 2010

Signups and Progress Report:

Gumble – Central, south americans (And Spanish)
Progress:2 out of 5 scenarios (possible 8 if have time)

Fruky - Etruscans
Progress: 3 out of 6 scenarios

Ninetails – Tartars - Avars
Progress:1 scenario completed

Rasteve - Nadene
Progress:8 basic scenarios out of 8. -Uberising-

Caisa – Urartu - Ouratou
Progress:

Basse – Vikings
Progress:4 out of 8 scenarios?

Helelix – Native Australians
Progress:

Darkberserk – Mapuche
Progress:1 out of 5-6 scenarios + reasearching

Thompsoncs – Saxon Tribe Confederation
Progress:2 of 6 scenarios completed

Crossbowman - Corded Ware
Progress:1 scenario out of a possible billion

Jimmeh (Better lat than never!) - Simple Sumerians
Progress: Big fat zero

Habedacus - Minoans
Progress:Apparantly started already

Known Judges:
Suppiluliuma
Nacht
Andrea (Probably)
IICDO

THE BIG PRIZE:
Not yeat determined but probably love, fame, fortune, and a unique AoEH title like: 'INVISIBLE TREE'

Too many people say far too much about Gumble. They also claim Gumble says far too much which isnt true.

One man's truth is another man's lie. Seek TRUTH to escape this moral mire.

'Experts' try to analyse human behaviour and the human condition and make grand conclusions. - Its the same as the guy who explains why a joke is funny and kills the joke.

[This message has been edited by Gumble (edited 02-25-2010 @ 07:43 PM).]

Replies:
posted 11-03-09 02:00 AM ET (US)     1 / 417  
I'll participate epically since my exams will be over in 10 days or so (yay). ahh, I think I'll snag up Indigenous Australians, although I think the historical aspect may be a bit hard to do mainly because very little of their history actually exists and the stuff that exists probably wont be on battles. But I could recreate what it would have been like 40,000 years ago and 'make up' some significant events.

It would be a fun and interesting topic to design about but I don't think that it fits the guidelines around the competition.
Although, If people were will and accepting of my topic I will be happily obliged to design and create something on it, otherwise I would have to choose another 'obscure civ'.

~~~Helelix~~~
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." - Terry Pratchett
"Evil is always unspectacular and always human. And shares our bed...and eats at our table." - W.H. Auden
"The basis of shame is not some personal mistake of ours, but that this humiliation is seen by everyone." - Milan Kundera
~~~~~~~~~~~
posted 11-03-09 08:56 AM ET (US)     2 / 417  

Gumble - Mesoamericans
Helelix - Australians
Rasteve - Britons
posted 11-03-09 10:48 AM ET (US)     3 / 417  
Britons aren't that obscure...in fact i think they are featured in an "Ave Caesar" scenario.

Anyways, enough rambling. I hope someone takes up a subsaharan african civ or a peruvian one (like chavνn or moche)
posted 11-03-09 11:03 AM ET (US)     4 / 417  
*Moves to Scenario Design*

Ok, let's continue the discussion. Sorry about the delay, we've had a lot going on behind the scenes.

Nacht Jaeger - Ex AoEH Angel
posted 11-03-09 11:14 AM ET (US)     5 / 417  
Britons aren't that obscure...in fact i think they are featured in an "Ave Caesar" scenario.
Well I was planning on a pre-Roman theme - picts, celts etc...
posted 11-03-09 11:21 AM ET (US)     6 / 417  
Nacht just moved this to from VVV to SD, and at the exact same time I clicked the thread:

File Not Found

The thread you are trying to access does not exist.

Click here to return to the previous page.

Not sure if I'll be entering.
posted 11-03-09 11:44 AM ET (US)     7 / 417  
I might throw together something. My ideas are the Aztecs or the Polynesians (It would be fun to make a naval campaign).

posted 11-03-09 11:45 AM ET (US)     8 / 417  
Seems to be an interesting competition. How will the campaigns be judged(<- Spelling?)?

[This message has been edited by Basse (edited 11-03-2009 @ 11:46 AM).]

posted 11-03-09 01:32 PM ET (US)     9 / 417  
I call the Etruscans!

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
posted 11-03-09 01:34 PM ET (US)     10 / 417  
Ok, here are some rules:

Civilization Guidelines

The following civilizations may not be used as Player 1:
Egyptian
Greek
Babylonian
Roman
Persian
Assyrian
Macedonian
Minoan

I didn't include Yamato or Shang because they're relatively obscure. If you're not sure about a civ just ask me. You may also make a campaign about a non-obscure civ before their days of power (E.g, the Mycenaeans, the early days of Rome, etc).

You may not make a scenario that has the same objective and/or setting as an ES scenario (E.g., the Dorian Invasion).

Campaign Guidelines

You may not modify:
The AoE data file
The language files (Unless you hex edit)
The .cty files

You may modify:
AI and .per files

Also, templates may be used to access the Trade Workshop, horses, etc.

Campaigns must be at least two scenarios long.

Judging will be based on all five major categories (Which can be found in the Granary), but the Story/Hints category will have the added necessity of historical accuracy. If you have a really obscure civ with little background or written history, then you will be given grace. Don't use this as an excuse to do whatever the hell you want, though.

The deadline is around Christmastime or the New Year. An official deadline may be determined, but if you're almost at the point of completion you may be given some slack.

Signups:

Gumble: Mesoamericans
Helelix: Australians
Rasteve: Britons
Nacht: Polynesians (?)

posted 11-03-09 02:30 PM ET (US)     11 / 417  
Well, I'm currently working slowly on my Israel campaign, but this contest seems interesting. Count me in

And my civ, according to my geographic location: Mapuche (although I may change...)
posted 11-03-09 05:21 PM ET (US)     12 / 417  
Nacht are you going to revive Rapa Nui?
posted 11-03-09 05:53 PM ET (US)     13 / 417  
I actually was going to include Easter Island in there...

posted 11-03-09 05:58 PM ET (US)     14 / 417  

[This message has been edited by Rasteve (edited 11-03-2009 @ 05:59 PM).]

posted 11-03-09 06:14 PM ET (US)     15 / 417  
Right now I'm torn between making the whole thing an Easter Island campaign or something else entirely.

posted 11-03-09 08:10 PM ET (US)     16 / 417  
I'm in.

Civilization: Tartars

Does it have to be purely historical, or can it be historical fiction as long as it significantly encompasses real world events?

| The Slave Pits (4.8) MMC 1st Place | The Fate of Inraya Teaser (4.5) | The Parting Gift | Computer Wars Pack |
"Never experienced any of his revolutionary scenarios, but dang if he isn't charismatic when he speaks!" -Aro
Voted AoEH's Most Helpful Forumer 2009!

Ninetails, of all the forumers you seen to have the inabillity to feel hate against your fellow man. A noble trait, treasure it. -Gumble
posted 11-03-09 08:56 PM ET (US)     17 / 417  
or can it be historical fiction as long as it significantly encompasses real world events?
ahh mines going to have to be something like that as aboriginal recorded history only really started when the Europeans colonised Australia and that time period is kinda outside the scope of AoE. From what I know, the aboriginal people are descended from Africans who migrated to the area around 40,000 years ago, sadly they never got out of the tool age (relative to the age structure of AoE) this already means that my historical aspect is somewhat limited. But in answer to your question I think that Nacht summed it up nicely:
If you have a really obscure civ with little background or written history, then you will be given grace. Don't use this as an excuse to do whatever the hell you want, though.

~~~Helelix~~~
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." - Terry Pratchett
"Evil is always unspectacular and always human. And shares our bed...and eats at our table." - W.H. Auden
"The basis of shame is not some personal mistake of ours, but that this humiliation is seen by everyone." - Milan Kundera
~~~~~~~~~~~
posted 11-03-09 09:22 PM ET (US)     18 / 417  
One question. Who is judging the entries?

The Dark Archer

"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein
"I once met a girl who looked like a camel" - Rasteve
Death of the Morads | AoEH Design Series II | Out From the Cliffs
posted 11-03-09 09:34 PM ET (US)     19 / 417  
That will be determined here. Judges can sign up, although they can't review their own work. Edit: I'm also changing my to the Mycenaeans. I'd like to do the Easter Island idea later, but with the flexibility of the enhanced editor.

[This message has been edited by Nacht Jaeger (edited 11-03-2009 @ 11:12 PM).]

posted 11-03-09 11:10 PM ET (US)     20 / 417  
Judges should be completely separate from the entrants and should be playing all the entries IMO.

The Dark Archer

"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein
posted 11-03-09 11:52 PM ET (US)     21 / 417  
'Civilization Guidelines

The following civilizations may not be used as Player 1:
Egyptian
Greek
Babylonian
Roman
Persian
Assyrian
Macedonian
Minoan'

Thats complete crap Nacht, no offence but Gumble NEEDS to use the persians because they have a civ art very close to the Aztecs (which Gumble will be focussing on) and the fact they don't have access to the wheel which fits in perfectly with Aztec civ. Babylonian Civ needs to be used for the Mayan civ because they are fameous builders which ties in with the babylonian wall/tower hp bonus.

That would only leave the Hittite art civ available. And out of the three Hittites are used FAR MORE than the other two combined.

Sorry Nacht but that civ limitations is seriously biased and relative.

What if someone was going to north african tribes like the Nubians? that would leave them only the sumerians for the civ art.

And why the hell is Macedonians even on the list!?

Gumble isnt angry but just very confused about this sudden civ lock that no one brought up in the original thread. Where did this come from anyway? What good purpose does this serve?

Also the deadline should be extended to the end of the christmas holidays.
1. After exams most people will want to celebrate the holiday with thier families or do holiday jobs. Having the deadline in only about a month and a half isn't long enough.
2. Gumble is prioritizing his own campaign installment to be finished around that time. You'd only be given Gumble basically a week to complete this. (He also has a lot of holiday work to do.)
3. There isn't exactly a need to have such a small deadline anyway.
4.Gumble said so.

Finally Polynesians have a very rich history and would be a great set of civs to work with Nacht. You have Niue, Tonga, Samoa, New Zealand Maoris, fiji just to name a few.

Too many people say far too much about Gumble. They also claim Gumble says far too much which isnt true.

'Experts' try to analyse human behaviour and the human condition and make grand conclusions. - Its the same as the guy who explains why a joke is funny and kills the joke.
posted 11-03-09 11:59 PM ET (US)     22 / 417  
I think what Nacht means by his list is player one may not be those civs in terms of the story not those civs in the game at all.

The Dark Archer

posted 11-04-09 00:09 AM ET (US)     23 / 417  
No no no no Gumble, you can use any civ you want but those are the civs you can't portray in your campaign.

posted 11-04-09 00:15 AM ET (US)     24 / 417  
Less misscommunications have started wars you know. What about the deadline?

Also: Axoren, Kelcin, MrCheeze, Daberserk, Basse, Thompsonics, Fruktfisk, this is a big competition are you guys in!?

[This message has been edited by Gumble (edited 11-04-2009 @ 00:19 AM).]

posted 11-04-09 00:21 AM ET (US)     25 / 417  
Deadline is around the new year, it's a bit slushy atm.

And yes, if you can't design please sign up to judge.

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 17  Next Page »
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Modding » Obscure Historical Campaign Competetion JUDGES SIGN UP PLZ
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames