Scenario Design and Modding
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Pretty Town Contest!
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 6  Next Page »
posted 11-22-11 03:34 PM ET (US)   

Welcome to AoEH's Pretty Town Contest! In this contest, we want you to put your creativity to the test and create the most magnificent and beautiful looking town using the Scenario Editor.

Objective:

Create a town, village, or city using the AoE/RoR scenario editor. Make it outstandingly pretty, because the most breathtaking creation wins! You'll need to send your entry to PhatFish (phatfish@heavengames.com) by the deadline of 11:59pm EST, February 29, 2012. Make sure you read and follow the rules and requirements listed below.

Requirements:

Your scenario file must include a town of some sort. It can be small or large, the decision is up to you.

The judge will need a unit of some sort to view your town. Choose a unit that fits your needs, e.g. a Scout, a Priest or a unit with high LOS (Line of Sight).

You should provide directions in the form of a road, flags or other objects the unit should follow. Be sure to give clear instructions which path(s) to follow.

Judging will be done solely on parts that have been seen with the unit to view your town.

Your entry must be received by 11:59pm EST, February 29, 2012.

The contest rules are:

- One single map, size may not exceed Large.
- Both AoE and RoR can be used.
- No modpacks of any form allowed.
- You can use the Composite Editor or any other tool, as long as it does NOT require a modification to be installed (e.g. Graphics/.Dat mod).
- No large stories or a bitmap, only a short description and instructions.
- You can only enter once.
- If you made a mistake and want to update your file, you can do so ONCE before the final submit date.
- Start date is 1st of December 2011, final submit date (deadline) is 11:59pm EST, February 29, 2012.
- Which means you have 2 months to create the most appealing town/city.

Participants:

Post a reply if you want to enter the contest. You can sign up at anytime (between the start and deadline).

1. Crossbowman - (Entry Received)
2. Dubstepfisk - (Entry Received)
3. Watson
4. Durin_pt - (Entry Received)
5. BSU_Dolhades
6. dom0601 - (Entry Received)

Judges:

The judges are:

1. PhatFish
2. Suppiluliuma
3. Thompsoncs

Prize:

- Custom title

Remember that your town will be judged entirely on looks, so make everything the judge will be seeing a feast for the eyes! Best of luck to everyone, and may the prettiest town win. Contest results will be announced shortly after judging is done.

[This message has been edited by PhatFish (edited 02-29-2012 @ 03:20 PM).]

Replies:
posted 01-13-12 08:01 PM ET (US)     76 / 132  
Deadline has been extended by one month
You should provide directions in the form of a road, flags or other objects the unit should follow. Be sure to give clear instructions which path(s) to follow.
Would "go anywhere you want" be valid instructions then?

My city will occupy the entire map so wandering off in the wrong direction wouldn't really be a problem.

Sorry for questioning every rule lol :P But at least I decided not to use an edited language dll anymore.

Who was that Maud person anyway?
posted 01-17-12 08:11 AM ET (US)     77 / 132  
I just sent you a .cpx file, should I resend the Scenario?
Got it, campaign is fine too.
Would "go anywhere you want" be valid instructions then?
Sure. Remember that we will judge based on what is seen, so make sure nothing is blocking the roads/spaces in your town.
posted 01-19-12 01:09 PM ET (US)     78 / 132  
Good news: I'm about 50% done.

Here's a little preview:

posted 01-19-12 01:45 PM ET (US)     79 / 132  
That's your half done town on a large map? Now I feel like mine is kind of small.

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
posted 01-20-12 09:25 AM ET (US)     80 / 132  
posted 01-20-12 01:56 PM ET (US)     81 / 132  
Lots and lots of details. BTW, is interesting but Crossbowman's map river reminds me of the Tiberis where it crosses Rome. (wto be honest, even the shape of the city reminds me of Imperial Rome)

[This message has been edited by Suppiluliuma (edited 01-20-2012 @ 01:59 PM).]

posted 01-20-12 02:50 PM ET (US)     82 / 132  
I would indeed not be surprised if it was rome. The map looks a bit like a 90 degrees rotated version of one of my scenario's about rome. Mine was based on a map of ancient rome I found somewhere, so my guess is he's trying to make rome.

Fruktdubstepfisk appears to be making some kind of desert oase/lake town.
posted 01-20-12 05:39 PM ET (US)     83 / 132  
Or maybe a spaceship?

//The warrior of Isola

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
posted 01-20-12 07:55 PM ET (US)     84 / 132  
Edit: I didn't know you had a realistic Rome map, Thompson. Honest! It was an idea I came up with on my own.

Mine is based on this one: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c5/Roma_Plan.jpg

I hope you guys will enjoy my Diocletian's arch.

[This message has been edited by Crossbowman (edited 01-20-2012 @ 08:55 PM).]

posted 01-21-12 03:40 AM ET (US)     85 / 132  
Doesn't matter. I didn't claim the idea or anything. It's part of my roma campaign, I think in the battle between marius and sulla.

I think I used the same picture as reference.

Btw, at the end of this contest can the new staff make new granary categories? If so, the obscure civ contest still hasn't got one, I even doubt poor Gumble got his new title.

[This message has been edited by Thompsoncs (edited 01-21-2012 @ 04:28 AM).]

posted 01-22-12 03:34 PM ET (US)     86 / 132  
Well Rome is a recurrent theme when referring to ancient cities, even though in most aspects some engineers consider it the first modern city and it did have features to defend that title.
posted 01-23-12 09:59 AM ET (US)     87 / 132  
I've visited Rome in the past, amazing city. Looking forward to seeing your entry as well Crossbowman.
posted 01-23-12 10:35 AM ET (US)     88 / 132  
I hope to visit rome in the coming summer. I always wanted to see it, but alas my parents usually took me to france (which is also nice, but still).
posted 02-19-12 12:54 PM ET (US)     89 / 132  
Ohhh just realised deadline was extended, so I can still finish mine if I have the time...

Leader and Trigger Artist of Mythic Studios
I need players for my Peloponnesian War RPG (Its Semi-Historical)
Now quit being a bitch and quote me in your signature like Yeebaagooon used to. ~Out Reach
posted 02-19-12 02:42 PM ET (US)     90 / 132  
posted 02-19-12 03:02 PM ET (US)     91 / 132  
Yeah been away from here a while ;P

Best get this done, I was half finished but got alot of college stuff to do, if I dont finish I shall upload so you can see what I had anyway.

Now quit being a bitch and quote me in your signature like Yeebaagooon used to. ~Out Reach
posted 02-19-12 04:00 PM ET (US)     92 / 132  
My map is almost finished.

posted 02-20-12 03:35 PM ET (US)     93 / 132  
I am quite impatient to see it
posted 02-21-12 01:58 AM ET (US)     94 / 132  
I shall get work on wednesday :P

I shall get you a screenie of the minimap ;D

posted 02-22-12 04:45 PM ET (US)     95 / 132  
Phatfish I just sent you my entry. Could you please confirm if you received it and if it runs (it was crashing with Enhanced editor, but not on normal mode; it's better to make sure though).

posted 02-23-12 02:34 PM ET (US)     96 / 132  
Got it, and it's working fine, no crashes.

So far I have received 3 entries: Dubstepfisk's, Dom0601's and Crossbowman's. I took a peek at them already, very impressive stuff
posted 02-23-12 04:16 PM ET (US)     97 / 132  
Btw, since we received another month I'm doing a small update of mine, mostly to fix up some stuff, but also adding a smaller area.

//The warrior of Isola

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
posted 02-24-12 07:52 PM ET (US)     98 / 132  
If mine's small (On a Tiny Map), it's because I didn't realize what was expected. I thought originally to not join, and then made my a small city (That uses almost every sqaure inch of space for eye candy-ish stuff). Sorry, if I suprise anyone.
posted 02-24-12 10:46 PM ET (US)     99 / 132  
It's not size that matters. If you make a great looking small town it's better than a bland megalopolis.

posted 02-29-12 12:24 PM ET (US)     100 / 132  
Sent mine! Good luck everyone!
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 6  Next Page »
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Modding » Pretty Town Contest!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames