Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Age of Fantasy
posted 11-04-03 01:34 AM EDT (US)   
Age of fantasy is a game i've been working on (only in theory) for the last few months, i've taken elements from a variety of games (mostly AOM/AOT). The 3 main things i've tried to focus on are diversity, realisticness and playability. The following list of ideas is still not complete (especially the part on the forest culture) and I hope to finish the list sometime this week, along with a list of spells. Well with that out of the way here's a fairly detailed idea list of what i wish ES would create next - Age of Fantasy:

Age of Fantasy
(3-D Fantasy based real time strategy game)

Contains 6 different cultures each with their very own set of units, abilities, buildings, technologies and styles of tactics!

-diamonds on very hard to acquire and are used for special technologies, spells and units (depending on what race you are playing)
-at the beginning of a game players are able to choose a culture and later on gods can be worshiped along with the development of 2 cultural traits (maybe 3?)
-compared to aom, aof will begin each game with more buildings and units, there will be a choice of starting units, also a brief time at the beginning of the game will be set aside just for economic built up – a time of peace where players cannot attack one another (the time can be set at the beginning of the game – from 3-10 minutes should do)
-players will not know what their opponents culture is at the start of the game and must explore to find out, once a player finds another players unit or building that player will gain the knowledge of what culture that player is, sometimes the opponent may also be given the knowledge of the player who was scouting (if their unit went in the line of sight of the opponent)
-the notion of an age will be represented by developing cultural traits and worshiping gods
-at certain times during the game cultural traits may be chosen, for instance, it may be at the 10 min mark that a small window will appear asking what cultural trait you wish to take, once chosen a cultural trait will instantly give your culture a certain bonus or bonuses, like 10% more hit points for a certain unit or increase mining by 10%
-worshiping is more like age leveling in the past age games, you can do it at any time once you’ve enough resources, in this case diamonds, but the difference is that the only advantages you get from it are god technologies and a few instant bonuses, so without worshiping gods you can still advance your culture quite a bit, and the worshiping acts more to specialize your culture than to advance it as a whole
-some units have stealth, which allows a unit to be invisible to enemy units until they attack or perform a spell (druids and feys), and can only regain there stealth ability once they are out of the line of sight of enemy units (buildings’ line of sight doesn’t count), any unit that can use magic can reveal the presents of a stealth unit, the elfs’ assassin is the one exception, they remain invisible even to enemy spell casters and are only visible after they attack for a limited amount of time (30 sec(?))
-each culture has their once form of a farm, which means that enemy (or ally) farms cannot be acquired unless its was created by an enemy (or ally) of the same culture

Dwarfs:

Focuses: Infantry, siege, healing spells, defensive, mining

-all unit have a natural resistance to magic (take less damage, less chance of successful attacks from magic,….)
-clerics can caste healing, strengthening and protecting spells, along with some weak damaging spells
-dwarf building are stronger, more costly, resistant to hack attacks, built by worker dwarfs
-tunnels (house 20 pop, create worker dwarfs)
-fortresses (train military units – no time required(tho weapons take time to produce), most upgrading, deals crush damage to attackers)
-gnome factories (produces siege units and carts)
-tunnels have the ability to transfer units from one tunnel to another, although an amount of time must pass between entering and exiting (15-30 sec), if a tunnel that has units coming out of it (soon) is destroyed the units will appear at the next closest tunnel, if all tunnels are destroyed units trapped within tunnels can be recovered by buildings a new tunnel at which the trapped units will appear once it’s completed
-resources are collected in carts (including diamond – which is mined like ore)
-siege units are controlled by gnome which operate the machines (once the siege unit is destroyed the gnomes parish as well
-military units are created by simply giving worker dwarfs weapons at fortresses
-military units can change weapons with other already produced weapons by being in the fortress (old weapons stay in the fortress – max of 20-30)
-carts are moved around by dwarfs
-military units may become non- military units but are unable to then return to their former status without returning to a fortresses
-diamond is use for military upgrades (mostly armor)

Elfs:

Focuses: Stealth, ranged attacks, magic, wood cutting

-units are protected from magic by a certain magic spell druids can caste
-druids specialize in damaging, mind control, healing, nature and protecting spells
-elf buildings are smaller, slightly quicker to build, built by non-military units
-tree dwellings (house 3 pop, ranged pierce attack)
-towers (high ranged pierce attack)
-town halls (trains elfs, ranged pierce attack)
-storehouses (take in resources)
-academies (trains longswordmen and longbowmen)
-guilds (trains druids, assassins, rangers, scouts)
-resources are collected in one building, diamonds are extracted by spells cast by druids
-military units are created and trained in either the guild or academy, normal elfs (those being able to gather resources and construct building) can’t be turned into military units
-all guild units have stealth, assassins have cloaking ability (only can be seen once they attack
-longbowmen can have flaming arrows (which are good against most buildings)
-diamond is used in the creation of assassins, and for diamond arrows used by longbowmen which do crush damage instead of pierce
-rangers and scouts have to ability to transform into wolfs (quick speed, high attack), hawks (flying scouts) and bears (high hit points, high attack), transforming takes time (10 secs), there is no time limit to how long a scout or ranger can be transformed although it change back takes time as well (10 sec)

Humans:

Focuses: Technology, flexibility, farming

-sanctuaries bless units for a certain amount of time allowing them protection from magic
-wizards can caste strengthening, damaging at first and can later learn most other spells
-diamonds can be traded for using any of the other resources
-human buildings can be made of ore or wood, ore gives them greater resistance to hack attacks, along with greater hit points
-settlements (trains humans, acts as a market)
-homes (house 10 pop)
-keeps (defensive structure, fires multiple arrows at near by enemy units)
-stables (trains horses)
-monasteries (trains wizards)
-barracks (trains infantry and ranged units)
-blacksmiths (upgrades weapons and armor)
-granaries (food drop off building)
-lumberyards (wood drop off building, constructs rams)
-quarries (ore drop off building)
-military units are trained from villagers, and can get new weapons at the blacksmith for a small cost and a little bit of training time
-stables produce horses which can be outside (allowing them to be mounted) or in side the stable (keeping them protected from harm), certain soldiers can mount horses and later on dismount when back at a stable
-rams are created at the lumberyard, and are able to be sheltered and capped (the shelter and cap can be metal or wood), light military is used to carry the ram, more people equal a quicker speed and stronger attack, 2 people must be carrying the ram for it to be moveable, units may lat go at any time, while new people can join at any time, min of 2 people must carry it at once
-blacksmiths can produce golem molds, which can be brought to life by a wizard, which in turn halfs the energy regeneration and maximum of that wizard, golems take up no pop, but must stay within a certain distance from it’s creator, if it leaves it will loss its “life” and will have to be brought back to life by a wizard again, if a creator dies so does the “life” on the golem it created
-diamond is used to create new spells to be use by wizards

Goblinoid:

Focuses: Cheaper and quicker training military, strengthening and damaging spells, aggressive

-totem poles give protection from magic within a certain radius (large radius)
-shamans caste weak damaging, strengthening, healings spells
-when orcs and gremlins kill other units they gain a small amount of diamonds (~1 diamond per 1 pop slot worth of enemies killed), when enemy buildings are destroyed by melee units a small amount of ore and/or wood are gained, each unit has a maximum carrying capacity
-goblinoid buildings are sometimes made with wood and sometimes ore, they are quick to put up and require little resources when compared to the buildings of other cultures
-camps (train all units, except hobgoblins)
-caves (house 8 pop, take in all resources)
-alchemist labs (create hobgoblins, by combining diamonds and goblins, upgrade orc armor
-totem poles (give magic protection)
-forts (defensive structure, multiple rocks will be ejected at near by enemy units)
-worg pens (train worg riders)
-gremlins have stealth, a high attack and low cost but have low hit points and armor
-armor for unmounted orcs differs from the armor used on wargriders, the other units lack armor upgrades
-harpy cliffs, behemoth caves and wolf dens can be built to summon creatures (harpys, behemoths and dire wolfs) to guard areas (it does have the potential to be used offensively though), once a goblin(s) finishes buildings a structure a creature(s) will appear from its opening and will patrol a certain radius around its(their) “home” attacking all non-goblinoid units, if the creature(s) is(are) killed another(others) will replace it(them) in time (15sec), the only way to completely kill off the creature(s) is to destroy its(their) “home,” a goblinoid player can only have 3 wolf dens, 2 harpy cliffs and 1 behemoth cave

Forest:

Focuses: Military-villagers, mind and nature spells, stealth, variation

-most buildings naturally regenerate hit points and give protection from magic within a certain radius around them (small radius), along with having the ability to be transferred to different locations, the transfer will take time and a certain amount of resources to be completed, units can be transported along with a building if they are garrisoned within a building being transferred
-burrows (train halflings)
-diamonds are obtained by ents entangling diamond mines and slowly absorbing diamond from the mine, entangling and unentangling takes time (10 sec)
-centaurs have both a composite bow and a sythe, either one can be used during battle, when farming the sythe is used, when hunting the composite bow is used, a button will allow a player to decide what weapon the centaur uses

Swamp:

Focuses: Creatures (mountable), poison, nature and weakening spells, regeneration

-ritualists caste nature, weakening, protecting and strengthening spells, as well as giving allied units protection from magic within a certain radius (medium radius)
-gather diamonds by using raptor riders to melt diamonds a part (acid from raptors)
-swamp buildings are the weakest buildings (least amount of hit points and armor) in aof although they are also the most deadly, any unit that attacks a swamp building is instantly poisoned (poisonous thorns will dart at any attacker)
-huts (house 5 pop)
-tribunal grounds (trains lizardmen (including ritualists) and troglodytes)
-bogs (trains serpent flies and trolls)
-ranches (train hydras, raptors, dragons and basilisks)
-strongholds (defensive structure, look like steep mini-pyramids (4x the size of aom towers), javelins attack near by enemy units)
-all units, expect troglodytes and serpent flies, regenerate hit points, trolls regenerate 3x faster then other units
-raptors, hydras, basilisks and dragons are created at ranches, when created they will wander around the ranch until a lizardmen is sent to ride them, when riding, a lizardmen looses their stats in exchange for the creature’s stats they ride, a rider can be unmounted at any time, if the creature is killed their rider will still live, unmounted creatures will roam around a small area and will attack any units that pass them (except other swamp units) until they are remounted, when creatures are in a ranch they will give off food at a slow rate
-lizardmen’s attacks instantly poison an enemy unit (the poison can take out a maximum of ~75 hit points), once the poison attack is used it can’t be used again for 15-30 sec
-basilisks have a stone gaze, which like the lizardmen’s poison attack can’t be used again for a certain amount of time (30-60 sec), it instantly “stones” an enemy unit, leaving them frozen – unable to take and deal damage as well as not being able to move, which will stay “stoned” for ~1 min before crumbling (certain spells can undo the effects of the stone gaze)
-dragons fly when mounted but are grounded until then, when on the ground they attack with their claws, when flying they attack with a fiery acid spray (which deals crush damage)
-hydras attack by biting enemies, when first created hydras have 2 heads, as the hydras take damage new heads grow (1 new head per 100 damage taken) to a maximum of 9 heads in total
-swamp buildings create a marshly bog-like terarain around them, this terrain will recede after the building that formed it are destroyed, the terrain can only be built upon by swamp cultures and slows the movement of all non-swamp units

Any comments, questions, things you'd like to add are welcome along with what you think of AoF.

PS if anybody from ES reads this, could you tell me if there's any chance of you guys might be able to making this game a reality?

[This message has been edited by Hailstorm (edited 11-04-2003 @ 08:09 AM).]

Replies:
posted 11-04-03 05:59 AM EDT (US)     1 / 6  
Wow, I haven't read it, but I will, and I can say you have done very much, I like to compiment you on that.

The Wait Is Over

DoJo Clan Site
posted 11-04-03 07:06 AM EDT (US)     2 / 6  
Wow.
I have a few comments, though:
It is basilisks, ballisks (or whatever you call them)
I think your creating of some military units is too difficult: too much micro included (making villie, let it walk to castle, let it garisson in castle, ungarrison, and only then you have a fighting unit)
Could you include the Romans as a 7th culture (just joking )

[This message has been edited by Theris264 (edited 11-04-2003 @ 07:07 AM).]

posted 11-04-03 08:21 AM EDT (US)     3 / 6  
Thanks for the comments.

I always thought that ballisk looked a bit strange, thanks for pointing it out Theris264.

And in regards to the way in which troops are created, I no that some of the ways would be a bit more micromanagement though the reason for it is to provide increased diversity and also some strategy (for as the humans, dwarfs and elfs can forget about troop training til it is needed, like during a raid, and instead focus on their economy more)

[This message has been edited by Hailstorm (edited 11-04-2003 @ 08:22 AM).]

posted 11-05-03 08:47 AM EDT (US)     4 / 6  
Nice job i would suscribe it as.Warcraft and aom meet each other
posted 11-05-03 06:35 PM EDT (US)     5 / 6  
I've worked on something similar (again, only in theory.) I tried a RTT-type gameplay at first (similar to the Total War games by Creative Assembly) but found I liked the good-ole RTS gameplay better.
Mine had 5 races- The main race was an Atlantean-like human culture, then there were the Elves, the Dwarves, Evil, and the Common Humans culture (most comparable to the Norse.) They were quite differed, for example, the Dwarves could build underground, the Elves had use of magic, the atlantean-types had advanced technology like airships. They also had some different resources and even different numbers of ages and deities.
As for the deites and aging factor, it didn't work much like in AoM. You would pick your race before the start of the game and later build a temple to a certain god, after it was completed you would gain the bonuses.
I like your idea of choosing starting units though, as well as not knowing your opponents race until you scout. Maybe I'll ressurect my old game and work on it a bit more...

Gagylpus
I don't have a signature. Signatures are for mortals. Or very insecure immortals like those freaking Greek gods.
posted 11-07-03 04:23 PM EDT (US)     6 / 6  
fyi, the idea of creating base units and then sending them to different buildings to train was done very well in an RTS called Battle Realms, developed by Liquid Entertainment. Depending on what combination of buildings you sent your peasants to, you would end up with a wide variety of unit types. I recommend downloading the demo. The company was founded by the producer of Command and Conquer Red Alert. I'm waiting for their next title to be released... they have the license to the Tolkien books (EA has the license to the movies)

:Z

Fly, you fools! The Zman cometh!
"And a mighty TSUNAMI swept them all to sea..."

[This message has been edited by zamond (edited 11-07-2003 @ 04:23 PM).]

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Age of Fantasy
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames