Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: AoM: The Valar - idea for 2nd X-pack
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 11-14-03 01:18 PM EDT (US)   
AoM X-pack II: The Valar

I and a friend from ESO have been thinking about whether it would be possible for ES to create a second expansion pack, after The Titans. There were people who were not really satisfied with the fourth culture being the Atlanteans, for they hoped for an other culture. Why wouldn’t that be possible? Well… the following is – in fact – our wish list: a new culture which is, like the Atlanteans, not real, but made up. Very well made up, however, and probably very suitable for a mythological game. I am talking about the world Tolkien created. The Lord of the Rings provides a perfect base for the regular units – Elves, Men, Dwarves, Hobbits – and the Valaquenta and the Silmarillion provide the necessary mythological background: the Valar can be used as gods.
As some people might notice, this topic is almost an exact copy of the topic I had posted in the X-pack discussion forum a while ago (before The Titans was released) For that forum doesn’t exist anymore, and we’re all becoming pretty much used to The Titans, I thought it was a good time to post it again: most of the reactions were very good and besides the discussion of whether this culture could be a possible addition to AoM – which is an interesting one -, there were many constructive thoughts on how to improve this idea. Let’s hope it will be the same this time!

Let’s start with the regular units for the whole culture – like for example the Egyptians have spearmen and the Norse have ulfsarks:

Archaic Age:

Hobbit: costs: food. A civilian unit, probably good at food gathering (especially farms?? This would benefit both ‘gameplay and realism’ I think, for an advantage on food would be a big bonus in Archaic, unless Hobbits would cost more food than normal villagers)
Goblin: costs: wood, gold. A strong civilian unit which only gathers gold (without needing drop-off points but with quite a weak gather rate) and wood (at normal speed or even higher)
Fishing Ship: No need for explanation
Wizard: costs: food, gold. Wizards are the heroes. They are very strong – especially against Myth Units of course – and expensive. Their number is limited by 5. They do pierce damage to Myth Units with their staffs, and hack damage to all kind of units with their swords. The Grey Wizards can be upgraded to White Wizards in Heroic Age, which are – of course – more powerful. They are also the way of favour gathering for this culture: they gather favor slowly when they’re not fighting.
Gollum: costs: food, favor. He can only be created once. He can carry relics. He may be invisible when he's not walking. He can kill villagers and some infantry units, and has an attack bonus against heroes. Perhaps every time he kills someone, a small amount of gold is added to the players' resources.

Classical Age:

Ohtar: costs: food, gold. The ‘normal’ infantry – probably a counter to cavalry, like the Hoplite, Spearman and Ulfsark. This would be a human soldier I think (not an elf or dwarf)
Elven Archer: costs: wood, gold. An archer, as the name says. Archers normally counter infantry so I think the Elven Archer would do the same.
Rider: costs: gold, food. Cavalry. Counters archers. No further explanation.
Transport Ship and Arrow Ship: the regular classical dock units. I don’t know what the name of the Arrow Ship should be. Perhaps ‘Cirya’ which just means ‘ship’

Heroic Age:

Dwarf: costs: gold, food. Infantry, good against other infantry. Dwarves fight with their axes.
Dúnadan: costs: food, gold. Elite infantry. Probably even good against Myth Units (like Jarls, but a bit less) Not easily massable, like the Ohtar.
Mûmak: costs: food, gold. the giant elephant-like creatures on which the Easterlings ride in The Lord of the Rings. They could be like the Egyptian Elephants.
'Suicide Uruk': costs: wood, gold. Siege Weapon. These Uruk-Hai blow themselves up and deal great damage to buildings and less damage to normal units.
Heroic Age Ships and Caravan: No explanation needed. The caravan will probably have a horse where the Greeks have a donkey, the Egyptians a camel, the Norse an ox and the Atlanteans a llama.

Mythic Age:

Troll: costs: gold, wood. Melee siege unit.

These are the regular units. Of course, we won’t forget the Major Gods, Minor Gods, Myth Units and God Powers:

Major Gods: Manwë, Varda and Melkor

Manwë:
God Power: Storm. Enemies can’t pass through a certain area for a certain while, for they’re blown away. Friendly units can still pass.
Benefits: Scouting.
Myth Tech: Palantíri. Reveals all Settlements on the map and a small area around them.
This might be a problem: revealing Settlements is Oranos’ special and therefore, other suggestions are welcome.
- can create eagles (the scout with which this culture starts) in his temple
- units slowly heal when they're near a Town Center
- cavalry have more Pierce Armour

Varda:
God Power: Sense of Evil. This reveals all enemy buildings for a very short time.
Benefits: Economy,
Myth Tech: Oiolossë. Provides more LOS to buildings.
- Buildings are cheaper
- Archers have more HP
- Buildings are built faster

Melkor:
God Power: Destruction. Destroy one single military building.
This one should be changed I think.. it’s too much like Deconstruction and much less strong.
Benefits: Orcs. They are his Unique Units. He can build them in the Classical Age.
Myth Tech: Darkness of Utumno. Gives more HP and attack to Orcs.
- Villagers have more HP
- Infantry are cheaper

Classical Age Minor Gods: Tulkas, Oromë and Vána

Tulkas:
God Power: Agility. Temporary speed increase for all units.
Benefits: Infantry.
Myth Unit: Astaldo. costs: food, favor. Tough soldier (size of a Cyclops?) fighting without weapons.
Myth Tech: Spirit of Nessa. Increases infantry speed.
Myth Tech: Lala-nyë. Increases attack of all soldiers by a small amount.
Myth Tech: Mellon. Increases Astaldo’s HP and (crush) attack.

Oromë:
God Power: Aldaron. Places a big tree which provides wood faster than normal trees, and provides alot of wood.
Perhaps this is too much like Gaia’s Forest GP??
Benefits: Cavalry.
Myth Unit: Nahar. costs: food, favor. Cavalry Unit that can pass through trees.
Myth Tech: Blood of the Mearas. Improves Riders’ HP, speed and pierce armour.
Myth Tech: Lauréva Lassio. Hobbits have 2x wood carry capacity.
Myth Tech: Horn of Oromë. Increases the LOS and range of archers.

Vána:
God Power: Seeds of Earth: When invoked on a granary, this God Power automatically places 5 free farms around it.
Benefits: Economy.
Myth Unit: Aiwë. costs: gold, favor. A bird that focuses the sunlight like a Petsuchos.
Myth Tech: Alda. Increases gathering speed for wood.
Myth Tech: Soron. Increases Aiwë’s range and attack.
Myth Tech: Nehtë. Increases Othar attack.

Heroic Age Minor Gods: Ulmo, Aulë and Yavanna

Ulmo:
God Power: Falma: when invoked, a small lake (not much bigger than a Healing Spring) appears from which up to 8 villagers can fish, with the speed of fishing ships.
Benefits: Water units.
Myth Unit: Watcher in the Water: Water Myth Unit. The creature that attacks the Fellowship at the gates of Moria in The Lord of the Rings. It could be too much like the Kraken and therefore, other suggestions are very welcome.
Myth Unit: Olog-Hai: costs: gold, favor. Land Myth Unit. Good against buildings.
Myth Tech: Voice of Ulmo. Increases the hack armour of human soldiers.
Myth Tech: Music of the Ulumúri. Increases the HP of ships.
Myth Tech: Ulundë. Greatly improves the speed and carry capacity of fishing ships.

Aulë:
God Power: Hammer of Aulë: a giant hammer smashes the ground and damages all units and buildings in the area.
Benefits: Gold gathering and Armory.
Myth Unit: Child of Aulë. costs: gold, favor. Strong Dwarf.
Myth Tech: Blaedus. Increases the attack of Dwarves and Children of Aulë.
Myth Tech: Khazad-Dûm. Increases the mining speed of Hobbits.
Myth Tech: Mithril. Increases infantry pierce armour.
Myth Tech: Macil. Improves the attack of Dúnedain.

Yavanna:
God Power: Lassë. At the place where it is invoked, flowers will grow that attack all enemies near them.
Benefits: Economy and Archers
Myth Unit: Stag. costs: wood, favor. A stag with the size of a battle boar.
Myth Tech: Anar. Increases the attack of archers.
Myth Tech: Harma. Caravans bring more gold.
Myth Tech: Kementári. Improves farming speed.

Mythic Age Minor Gods: Sauron, Saruman and Gandalf.
Though neither of them are Valar, they all have much power and play an important part in the War of the Ring at the end of the Third Age. Therefore we thought it would be a good idea to give them a big role in the game as well.

Sauron:
God Power: Orodruin. A large volcano appears at the place where it is invoked, which will deal a lot of damage to the units near it. It is timed so it will disappear after a while.
Benefits: Orcs.
Myth Unit: Nazgûl: costs: gold, favor. Ringwraith on a horse.
Myth Unit: Nazgûl: costs: gold, favor. Ringwraith on a flying creature.
Myth Tech: Nine Rings of Power. Improves Nazgûl.
Myth Tech: Ash Nazg Durbatulûk. Increases the attack and HP’s of all regular units.
Myth Tech: The Uruk-Hai. Upgrades Orcs to Uruk-Hai.
Myth Tech: Black Wizard. Upgrades White Wizards to Black Wizards, who are stronger.

Saruman:
God Power: Orthanc. When invoked on a fortress or TC, a large tower is placed which fires lightning (like Son of Osiris)
Benefits: Infantry, Siege
Myth Unit: Warg Rider. costs: food, favor. Cavalry unit.
Myth Tech: Craft of Orthanc. Improves HP and crush armour for buildings.
Myth Tech: Spirit of Isengard. Improves the speed and HP of infantry.
Myth Tech: Fires of Industry. Increases Siege Weapon attack and lowers costs.

Gandalf:
God Power: Ray of Hope. makes the entire map lighter, giving a great morale boost to friendly units and slowing down enemy units while slowly damaging them. The effect is the biggest in the Ray of Hope at the place where you invoke it. It lasts 20 seconds.
Benefits: Cavalry, economy
Myth Unit: Ent. costs: wood, favor. Big and very tough tree-like unit.
Myth Tech: Narya. Increase the attack and Favor Gathering rate of Wizards.
Myth Tech: The Rohirrim. Increase riders attack and armour.
Myth Tech: The Holbytlan. Increase the speed and gather rates of Hobbits.

The Minor Gods each Major God can get are:

Manwë:
Classical: Tulkas/Vána
Heroic: Ulmo/Yavanna
Mythic: Gandalf/Saruman

Varda:
Classical: Vána/Oromë
Heroic: Yavanna/Aulë
Mythic: Gandalf/Saruman

Melkor:
Classical: Oromë/Tulkas
Heroic: Aulë/Ulmo
Mythic: Sauron/Saruman

Buildings:

Town Center(Archaic Age): Creates Hobbits and Goblins (and Gollum? Or is he a Temple Unit?).
Temple(Archaic Age): Creates Wizards and Myth Units.
Training Camp(Classical Age): Creates Ohtar, Elven Archers, Riders, Dwarves
Castle(Heroic Age): Creates Dúnedain, Mûmakil, Suicide Uruks and Trolls.

Other special things for this civilization not yet mentioned:

- Infantry can build Trebuchets in Heroic and Mythic Age. These Siege Weapons have very long range and are built quickly, but are destroyed easily by units doing hack attack.
- The civilization starts with two hobbits, a goblin and an eagle (scout unit)
- The civilization can - unlike the already existing civilizations - choose two different walls. The first option is a palisade wall (like in AoK) This is a very cheap (1 wood?) and quickly built structure, but it has low HP. The second option is an expensive but relatively strong fortification.
- The Titan for this civilization is the Balrog.

Well, that was it. We intentionally used as few numbers as possible here, for we cannot decide ourselves what the exact values for technology costs and effects and unit costs and stats should be. Nevertheless, we think Tolkien’s world provides a perfect base for another culture in Age of Mythology. This is how we see it and we would like to hear some serious comments on it. Thanks!

Nerf... something!
Replies:
posted 11-14-03 01:32 PM EDT (US)     1 / 52  
The only problem I see is Greek get normal units like AoK in Classical, Norse get very generic units, Eggy gets pure counters, Atls get weird counters. In your civ, it will be much like Greeks in Classical.

I think it's the time to change my sig.
posted 11-14-03 02:49 PM EDT (US)     2 / 52  
I like it!!!

However, I don't think ES will ever make it. It is something completely different from the civs we have now, and a lot of games of LotR are being made now. Ok, they are not all RTS games, but today I saw a preview of such a LotR game.
Anyway, I have to congratulate you because of your effort. This had to be a lot of work.
Mmm, the only problem seems to be remembering the names of the gods...
W_W

Who doesn't fear the presence of water? But who doesn't fear the absence of water...
Water_Wizard --> water_wizard@hotmail.com
Current Project: Becoming the Number 1
posted 11-14-03 03:11 PM EDT (US)     3 / 52  
This is Age of Mythology, not War Craft 3. Good ideas but I doubt there will be a 2nd X-pac and I doubt they would do this.
posted 11-14-03 03:22 PM EDT (US)     4 / 52  
dude, before you write so much more, check out Lord of the Rings: Battle for the Ring by EA, lol..... it just may blow AOM away

[This message has been edited by ColdWind2Valhala (edited 11-14-2003 @ 04:21 PM).]

posted 11-14-03 03:43 PM EDT (US)     5 / 52  
wow no suppport at all there.

i would like to tackle this idea. but lets try to think a little outside the box. instead of all lotr based trying switching it up. i will write of a few ideas going off what you posted.

x-pack2 has there ever been sucha thing?

AOM should be the first it would make crazy doe too. lol

But just as the smoke cleared, a red cloak of silk burnt and battle worn blew past the fire, and from the buring embers of the catapault Sir Grayhorn emerged, Jalmal's Bain still strongly grasped in his right hand and his kite shield lined with steel pierced with arrows held high in his left. The hero had endured.
posted 11-14-03 04:57 PM EDT (US)     6 / 52  
Moved to Future ES games forum.

Can you do the Double Yoda?
A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
posted 11-14-03 08:45 PM EDT (US)     7 / 52  
I think a better idea for the mythic gods would be Nienna, Mandos, & Orome. Gandalf could be an uber hero for Manwe. Melian could be an uber hero for Varda. Saruman & Sauron could be slightly less powerful heroes for Melkor. I'l post possibilities later.
posted 11-14-03 08:50 PM EDT (US)     8 / 52  
It's Age of Mythology. Not Age of Fantasy.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
posted 11-15-03 04:53 AM EDT (US)     9 / 52  
Thanks for the replies so far. I will try to answer them all. If I forget one, I'm sorry: in that case just say it

Quoted from BraveKarma:

The only problem I see is Greek get normal units like AoK in Classical, Norse get very generic units, Eggy gets pure counters, Atls get weird counters. In your civ, it will be much like Greeks in Classical.

Perhaps you're right. Of course, this would only be in Classical. Perhaps to make the counter unit system a bit more unique, the Ohtar could lose its effectiveness against cavalry for a big part and the Rider could get a small bonus - like a Classical Age Camel, in fact.
Anyway, good post. If you have other ideas to solve this problem, I would like to hear them.

Quoted from Ocean Wizard:

However, I don't think ES will ever make it. It is something completely different from the civs we have now, and a lot of games of LotR are being made now.

I'm afraid ES will indeed never make it, but that's no reason not to hope that they will It's indeed quite different from the existing civs, but let's be fair... that was the case with the Atlanteans as well, wasn't it??
The LotR games being made now aren't that good in my opinion. And I'm not talking about a LotR-game now...I'm talking about a mix of two very good creations: AoM and LotR.

Quoted from Ocean Wizard:

Anyway, I have to congratulate you because of your effort. This had to be a lot of work.
Mmm, the only problem seems to be remembering the names of the gods...

Thanks The names of the Gods are no problem. Read the Silmarillion once (or more specific: the Valaquenta) and you know them.

Quoted from deano3985:

This is Age of Mythology, not War Craft 3.

That is correct. That's why I post it in an AoM forum, not WC3.

Quoted from ColdWind2Valhala:

dude, before you write so much more, check out Lord of the Rings: Battle for the Ring by EA, lol..... it just may blow AOM away

I disagree. Besides, the main purpose of this topic is that it's fun to discuss a possible LotR X-pack for AoM. Talking about possible other LotR-games doesn't have anything to do with that.

Quoted from SirGrayhorn:

i would like to tackle this idea. but lets try to think a little outside the box. instead of all lotr based trying switching it up. i will write of a few ideas going off what you posted

I don't understand exactly what you mean, but I'm looking forward to read you ideas.

Quoted from Kumar Shah:

Moved to Future ES games forum.

Sorry... didn't remember that it actually existed. Otherwise I would have posted it there of course.

Quoted from Petsuchos:

I think a better idea for the mythic gods would be Nienna, Mandos, & Orome. Gandalf could be an uber hero for Manwe. Melian could be an uber hero for Varda. Saruman & Sauron could be slightly less powerful heroes for Melkor. I'l post possibilities later.

This is the kind of reply I was hoping for.
I will explain how I chose the minor gods: Of course you're right about Gandalf, Saruman and Sauron not being 'gods' They did not belong to the Valar and must undoubtedly have been less strong. Therefore, what point is there in letting them be Mythic Age minor gods?
The answer is: they all play a highly important role in the War of the Ring at the end of the Third Age: the climax of all events.
Gandalf, Saruman and Sauron add Myth Units and Technologies to the game that are necessary to make the game feel like 'Lord of the Rings' in the end, which is much more fun than adding three more Valar to the game and making the Mythic Age no more than an upgrade of the Heroic Age, which is, in fact, the case with the existing cultures.
By the way, Oromë is already a classical age minor god. He would have to be replaced if he went to Mythic Age. But as I said, I think it's better to let it be the way I described.

Quoted from Meteora:

It's Age of Mythology. Not Age of Fantasy.

Ahh now I see... I'm afraid I've misread the title.
But to be serious... what is wrong with Tolkien's mythology? Serious comments will be seriously replied.

Nerf... something!
posted 11-15-03 01:04 PM EDT (US)     10 / 52  
The game is based on historical mythology. Yes, even Atlantis is part of historical mythology. Tolkein's "mythology" isn't historical. It isn't even mythology. It's fantasy.+

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
posted 11-15-03 02:22 PM EDT (US)     11 / 52  
It's a good idea, but the Valar as gods would not be possible if you wanted it to remain accurate.
posted 11-16-03 01:21 PM EDT (US)     12 / 52  

Quoted from Meteora:

The game is based on historical mythology. Yes, even Atlantis is part of historical mythology. Tolkein's "mythology" isn't historical. It isn't even mythology. It's fantasy.

You're right: Atlantis is part of Greek mythology. Atlantis did not exist (we can be as sure about that as about Middle Earth never having existed) Atlantis therefore is not historical. The mythology ES designed around Atlantis is made up or Greek mythology. The titans are 'stolen' from Greek mythology, as are the myth units, technologies, everything.
And Tolkien hasn't written mythology? His world contains 'gods' (as you can see above), a creation-myth, myths that explain the existance of the sun, the moon and the stars, and even a myth which explains why the earth is round. What misses here?

Quoted from Celloa:

It's a good idea, but the Valar as gods would not be possible if you wanted it to remain accurate.

Could you explain that? Why wouldn't that be possible?

Nerf... something!
posted 11-16-03 01:24 PM EDT (US)     13 / 52  

Quote:

Atlantis did not exist (we can be as sure about that as about Middle Earth never having existed) Atlantis therefore is not historical.

I like the idea, but what makes you so sure Atlantis didnt exist

posted 11-16-03 01:29 PM EDT (US)     14 / 52  

Quote:

Atlantis is part of Greek mythology.

Try Egyptian mythology. And what's your point? That still makes it mythological.

Quote:

Atlantis did not exist (we can be as sure about that as about Middle Earth never having existed)

How do you know?

Quote:

Atlantis therefore is not historical.

But it's part of historical mythology.

Quote:

The titans are 'stolen' from Greek mythology, as are the myth units, technologies, everything.

Your point being?

Quote:

And Tolkien hasn't written mythology? His world contains 'gods' (as you can see above), a creation-myth, myths that explain the existance of the sun, the moon and the stars, and even a myth which explains why the earth is round. What misses here?

Well if you're going to argue definitions, it can be considered a mythology. But realistically it's missing the people that believe in it. It's missing the tradition and the religion of real people. The people that believed in his myths aren't real. He wrote a fake mythology.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
posted 11-16-03 02:32 PM EDT (US)     15 / 52  

Quoted from The_Destroyer:

I like the idea, but what makes you so sure Atlantis didnt exist

There is not any reason to believe it did exist. At least, we can be pretty sure it didn't exist in the form and location ES describes.

Quoted from Meteora:

Try Egyptian mythology.

Sorry.. I guess I said that because the Atlanteans in the X-pack are just an addition to the Greeks.

Quoted from Meteora:

How do you know?

Do you mean you believe that it existed?

Quoted from Meteora:

But it's part of historical mythology.

I'm afraid I don't know the Egyptian mythology too well... could you explain what it says about Atlantis? Egyptian mythology speaking about the existance of Atlantis doesn't give Atlantis a mythology; it only makes the existance of Atlantis a myth. There's a difference in that.
Summarized:
We know that the ancient Greeks existed. We don't believe in their gods anymore.
We know that the ancient Egyptians existed. We don't believe in their gods anymore.
We know that the ancient Norse existed. We don't believe in their gods anymore.
We can be quite sure that Atlantis did not exist. At least we don't know anything about its mythology if it existed.
We can be quite sure that Middle-Earth did not exist. At least we know about the mythology around the cultures that Tolkien made up.
So why are the Atlanteans a correct X-pack, and is Tolkien's world not?!

Quoted from Meteora:

Your point being?

That Atlantis did not have a mythology; the existance of Atlantis itself is a myth. That's different.

Quoted from Meteora:

Well if you're going to argue definitions, it can be considered a mythology. But realistically it's missing the people that believe in it. It's missing the tradition and the religion of real people. The people that believed in his myths aren't real. He wrote a fake mythology.

No-one believes in Greek, Egyptian, Norse and Atlantean (???) mythology anymore as far as I know, so what's your point?

Nerf... something!
posted 11-16-03 02:44 PM EDT (US)     16 / 52  

Quote:

Yep, I do beleive it existed. There may not be alot of SOLID proof, but There are actually alot of myths and stories in different religions or mythologies that talk about a super-advanced civilization such as Atlantis. I guess thats why I beleive it existed. I also beleive in the first age theory. Do you know what that is?

"I'm about 6'1 and 6'6 depending on which convenience store I'm leavin'"
"Dessy, why the hell are you drinking?!"-QH
"We're going to be at this all day"
ESO names:LoTD_Destro
Join the LoTD Clan!!
LP rules
posted 11-16-03 06:01 PM EDT (US)     17 / 52  

Quote:

I mean it could have existed. Probably not exactly the way it's described, but it could have existed in some form. I'm undecided on whether it exists or not. There's not enough evidence either way.

Quote:

No-one believes in Greek, Egyptian, Norse and Atlantean (???) mythology anymore as far as I know, so what's your point?

My point is that the people believed in them at one time. Tolkien's mythology is not believed in by real people, only by made up beings. That is the major difference in my mind.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
posted 11-16-03 07:22 PM EDT (US)     18 / 52  
I think Yooda's idea is very good, Middle Earth has all the mythological elements to be in AOM (I'm not saying it will get there, just that it would fit in if it did). Think of it: in AOM Atlantis doesn't have a true mythology, it's all MADE UP, just as Tolkien's mythology. Myths are fantastic stories, just as LOtR is, the fact that people thousands of years ago believed in Zeus, Ra and Odin, doesn't make them more real, they are still fantastic stories (myth means "lie" in greek). Still, LOtR won't ever appear in AOM, but that doesn't matter, it's fun to imagine how it would be.

Loyal servants of Isis, golden mother of Egypt
I swallow the sun in a terrifying night
I spread hunger with a voracious swarm
I throw a downpour of rock upon my enemy's land
The power of Egypt is mine to command!!!
posted 11-16-03 10:16 PM EDT (US)     19 / 52  

Quote:

it's all MADE UP,

Perhaps, perhaps not. But the difference is that real people believed in Atlantis, Ra, Zeus, Valhalla, etc..

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
posted 11-16-03 10:54 PM EDT (US)     20 / 52  
Great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You did a good job. I think ents should be the myth units for Yavanna, seeing as she made them and all. You could even try entwives, something pretty original. Another idea is heroes similar to the greek ones. You could use the great elves like Thingol and Feanor and any others you think of. Other things that could help would be new relics, the ones that come to mind are the weapons like narsil. You could also go further into depth on the dark forces like orcs, uruk-hia(sp?), and goblins. If you could think of more evil gods it would be possible for 2 new civs. Then you could add more units like dragons. I can't think of any other pointers right now but I will probably check back.
posted 11-17-03 09:55 AM EDT (US)     21 / 52  
Its not true because people in the books did not worship the Valar, and the valar are NOT gods they are the watchers of the west. They came to make the land ready for the Childeren of Eru(the god in the story) Elves and men.

So while its not true that they worshipped them, its a good idea .

You could also make all human units... like riders of rohan, rangers swordsmen.

posted 11-17-03 02:40 PM EDT (US)     22 / 52  
thanks for the positive replies

Quoted from jj11188:

I think ents should be the myth units for Yavanna, seeing as she made them and all.

I think Ents deserve to be strong, and therefore be Mythic Age Myth Units. Perhaps if you know a better MU for Gandalf, it could be a good option, though

Quoted from jj11188:

Other things that could help would be new relics

Good idea! All possibilities are welcome.

Quoted from jj11188:

You could also go further into depth on the dark forces like orcs, uruk-hia(sp?), and goblins.

They're all involved already
Orcs are Melkor's Unique Unit. Uruk-Hai are the upgrade Sauron gives them. Goblins are economic units.

Quoted from jj11188:

you could think of more evil gods it would be possible for 2 new civs

Do you think that's necessary? The other civilizations have both evil and good gods as well, so I think it's just fun to try to involve them all in one civ. By the way, I'm afraid I indeed can't come up with 12 great evil powers.

Quoted from The DoomMaster:

Its not true because people in the books did not worship the Valar, and the valar are NOT gods they are the watchers of the west. They came to make the land ready for the Childeren of Eru(the god in the story) Elves and men.

No-one worshipped the Titans... Valar are at least highly important supernatural powers. All with a special task. The Elves sing about them, which is perhaps not directly worshipping them but at least respecting them.

Quoted from The DoomMaster:

You could also make all human units... like riders of rohan, rangers swordsmen.

Riders are meant to be riders of Rohan, but I can't call them that because Melkor also has access to them. Gandalfs Myth Tech upgrades them to Rohirrim.
The Rangers are - of course - the Dúnedain that can be created in Heroic and Mythic Age.

Nerf... something!
posted 11-17-03 08:00 PM EDT (US)     23 / 52  
There is a problem conserning Gandalf
Although his presince among the other "Gods" is understandable he should not be next to Sauron because Sauron was much much more powerful.

If you have AoM then go to www.freewebs.com/doomofman
posted 11-18-03 10:38 AM EDT (US)     24 / 52  
... yet, Gandalf managed to defeat both Sauron and Saruman, didn't he?
Yes, I know that in an 1v1 battle, Sauron would probably slaughter Gandalf, but Gandalf's power lies in other things.
By the way, Ares would probably defeat Hephaistos in battle, yet Hephaistos is a Mythic Age god and Ares is a Classical Age god. By the way, all Valar are undoubtedly stronger than Gandalf and Saruman, and probably even stronger than Sauron. Should they because of that be made Classical Age minor gods? No, it's just because their presence in the game is important to involve the War of the Ring of the 3rd age in the game as well..
Summarized: Though Sauron was (not at all points, though) indeed stronger than Gandalf, it doesn't matter at all.

Nerf... something!
posted 11-18-03 11:29 AM EDT (US)     25 / 52  
What about somethign like the Aztec Mythos? The Aztecs had cool looking pyramids and their gods were very interesting in their own way. I believe each god actually had a pyramid where sacrifices were placed. They could be a kind of barbarian race in between the Egyptions and the Norse possibly? They had technology to be sure , but were barbaric in practices. Would be interesting ..I'd buy it

Domers35

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » AoM: The Valar - idea for 2nd X-pack
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames