You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Havok Physics - How does it affect AoE3?
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
posted 12-31-04 06:50 PM EDT (US)   
Havok is a physics engine used by many FPS games out there (a few examples would be Halo 2, Half Life 2, Medal of Honor Pacific Assault..). Havok is quite popupar with game designers, and it's quite the best physics engine out there.

So what does Physics do in your game? Well, imagine a game where everything that falls, gets kicked, and blows up, would do the same EXACT thing in real life? You kick a ball and it goes exactly where it should go! Physics engine do that, they make everything do, what they're supposed to obeying the laws of physics.

Now, how does that affect AoE3?
From reading the PCGamer mag, and drawing some conclusions of my own, the physics in AoE3 will probably be as good and beautiful as Halo 2 and Half Life 2. In AoE3, buildings will breake how they're supposed to, meaning, if a cannon ball hits a house wall, expect that wall to crumble the same way it would in real life. Now imagine a cannon ball ripping through a house, man! That also means that buildings won't be destroyed the same way, which is awesome.

Now, to units, if there was an explosion, expect the units around the explosion to fly and spin around and do whatever they would do in real life! ragdoll effects (the effect that makes bodies fall, realisticly without any premade animation) comes with the physics engine, so you're expecting every unit to die differently depending on the situation they died on, units will also most likely fall in different places, let's say a unit gets blown up and falls into a body of water, the body will float in the water! Or maybe the body falls on top of a building/tree, it will remain up there!

So that's physics for yall folks, now go and get a good CPU, cause all the math your PC will be doing will most likely require a good PC

Replies:
posted 12-31-04 07:07 PM EDT (US)     1 / 111  
Elphea,

What kind of PC (specs) would people need (or be looking at) in order to run the game without fear of lag for any type of game (including a 4v4) (connection is probably obvious, DSL or Cable..

This is really sad news for youger players who may not be able to afford or upgrade their computers. Its too bad games cant find a medium between 2D and 3D which would run well on any decent comp.

Zone Name= DeaconRien
Founding Father of the Deacon Empire

"I am the Dragon, before me you tremble"
-Francis Dolarhyde (Red Dragon 2002)

posted 12-31-04 07:08 PM EDT (US)     2 / 111  
I'd say a 1.5 and above, with a good video card.

But I don't know much, since ES could possibly cut out many features before release, and also, it will most likely come with a way to adjust graphics to play on lower settings.

posted 12-31-04 07:12 PM EDT (US)     3 / 111  
You would definately need broadband internet (you need it now anyway). To run at high graphics u will probly need a 2.4 ghz+ processor and a radeon 9700 equivilent or better. So 64 mb of onboard shared memory will not cut it anymore.

[This message has been edited by Chris27 (edited 12-31-2004 @ 07:13 PM).]

posted 12-31-04 07:14 PM EDT (US)     4 / 111  
Got the 2.4Ghz processor but my graphics card is a joke.

ada
posted 12-31-04 07:17 PM EDT (US)     5 / 111  
Good stuff, I'll be able to run it, at least, I guess I will because I run HL2 without a hitch.

    
posted 12-31-04 09:07 PM EDT (US)     6 / 111  
Broadband wouldn't exactly be necessary, if ES uses a good network code scheme, and doesn't lay the physics on the server. (although at this point, you REALLY should have broadband to play any game online).

graphics card, ya, you'll need one that supports directx9 to run some of the things.

posted 12-31-04 09:12 PM EDT (US)     7 / 111  
Of course where graphics are concerned, cpu speeds do not really matter. Since it engine supports VS3 and PS3, although it's uncertain if and how it utilizes it, I think to play at full detail a GF6xxx is required (it's the only card that supports it). Although Ati Radeons 9700 and up and Xxxx and GFFX 5900XT and up will be fine too. Lesser cards will just not display some thing (as they cant) but anything recent (except GFFX5200 which is really not a praphics card ) will do fine in displaying the game.

BTW, I'm 99% sure it isn't, but it would be nice if it did, I'd like the engine to be multithreaded. P4 w/ HT and dual users (such as me with a dual Xeon 3.2GHz) could put the other cpu (fysical or logical) to use

[This message has been edited by Breepee (edited 12-31-2004 @ 09:14 PM).]

posted 12-31-04 09:13 PM EDT (US)     8 / 111  
:'( I have 2.0 GHz

"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."
posted 12-31-04 09:16 PM EDT (US)     9 / 111  
2.0GHz is more than enough. You should be concerned about your graphics card.

BTW I'd like Linux support. This could be the first big RTS on the Linux platform. I know it'll not happen (99% certainty) but I'd pay triple if it did.

I think the way how a building breaks down will not affect surrounding units (debris crushing into them) because if did, it would have to be handled server-side and that would consume too much bandwidth.

[This message has been edited by Breepee (edited 12-31-2004 @ 09:20 PM).]

posted 12-31-04 10:15 PM EDT (US)     10 / 111  
It is a Microsoft based company..
posted 12-31-04 10:20 PM EDT (US)     11 / 111  
It's very unlikely that MS will release a Linux based version, at least not until couple of years it's released under windows.

2.0GHz should be more than enough to handle it, heck, HL2's minimun settings requires a 1.6GHz PC.

posted 12-31-04 10:32 PM EDT (US)     12 / 111  
w00t! 2.08 should be enough then! And I think (and hope) that my computer's 120 GB can handle it.

"My fort was razed by cougars."
posted 12-31-04 10:53 PM EDT (US)     13 / 111  
looks like its time for me to become active here again........I come and go with new games lol. haven't really posted out here since the glory days of Oct '02 and the forum parties of the winter of '03........feels good to be back lol.

Ive got a 1.4 ghz Athlon CPU, which I CAN upgrade to a 3.1 ghz (my motherboard is a socket A, 3.1 is about the best Im gonna get out of it I think) but thats gonna cost a LOT of money (for me, $150-odd at Newegg, pretty much everything I got and a bit more lol). I also have a brand new graphics card which I just got...........a Visiontek Xtasy 9200 AGP, uses Radeon 9200 chipset, 128mb memory, pretty decent. Will that handle this new engine? I believe it does have support for DirectX 9, not 100%, but 99% lol.

Ive also got 512 DDR in her, and am going to be getting a sound card soon.......I think there might be a problem with my onboard sound...I dont like having stuff onboard, but to tell the truth until I got a 30 dollar Staples gift card for Christmas I never really placed a sound card high on my ever-growing list of upgrades lol.

I think I should be ok for AoE3, not sure about the graphics card, as I dont have any of the FPS games...only BF1942, which runs flawlessly even at high settings. Also not sure about my CPU.....have a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that it isnt good enough.

"Fanatics find their heaven in never-ending storming wind
Auguries of Destruction be a lullaby for Rebirth"

Proud Leader of the Order of Champions - OoC_Wolf

posted 12-31-04 11:12 PM EDT (US)     14 / 111  
if you upgrade it to the 3.1 it should run more than fine.

posted 12-31-04 11:56 PM EDT (US)     15 / 111  
I was thinking about the graphics, and how much memory that would consume on my laptop since the graphics should be excellent.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diem nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut lacreet dolore. In the middle of a room stands a suicide. Magna aliguam erat volutpat. Ut wisis enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tution ullam corper suscipit lobortis. Eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent luptatum delenit au duis dolore te feugat nulla facilisi. I began at awareness.

[This message has been edited by ajaxthegreater (edited 12-31-2004 @ 11:56 PM).]

posted 01-01-05 00:35 AM EDT (US)     16 / 111  
Basically your looking for a computer that's early-2004 standard (like mine).

I have a Dell Dimension 3500- 3 GHz, 512 RAM and NVIDIA FX 5200 (If I remember correctly, I can't check right now cause i'm on holiday). My comp can run FPS games pretty well on medium-high settings.

Gonna do some work and save up for a new computer though. I'm gonna play this game on MAX settings

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
posted 01-01-05 00:59 AM EDT (US)     17 / 111  
They havent come out with a 128 bit thats what u will need for this icant wait

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • posted 01-01-05 01:03 AM EDT (US)     18 / 111  
    Most people think you need a great net connection in rts, but this is false. Because everything is done by the computer and everything the game needs is on the HDD, so when you lag etc.. its not always the net, a lot of it in computer processing.

I have a 56k modem that only connects at 28.8k, I can play up to 4v4s and never lag out unless I get d/ced, normally stay green to all players too.

So it would be unlikely if this changed for aoe3. ES prolly learnt not to change much from the basics now after the change from aoe2/aom screwed half of the aokers.

So 99% chance, no need for BB.

posted 01-01-05 01:07 AM EDT (US)     19 / 111  
    I just got a laptop that plays HL2 on Medium settings at 70-100 fps... so I can easily play AoEIII

I love my 64-bit Processor laptop!
    ::hugs laptop::

At my signal unleash HELL.
    God Bless America, Land of the Free!!!
    •••winner of "2002 AoM Forum's Coolest Name Award"•••
    •••••••Another Fabulous Post by WhoAskedU!!•••••••
    People just complain about other people's Signatures because
    they aren't smart enough to make their own.
    posted 01-01-05 01:08 AM EDT (US)     20 / 111  

Quote:

:'( I have 2.0 GHz

thats what overclocking is for

Quote:

Ive got a 1.4 ghz Athlon CPU, which I CAN upgrade to a 3.1 ghz (my motherboard is a socket A, 3.1 is about the best Im gonna get out of it I think) but thats gonna cost a LOT of money (for me, $150-odd at Newegg, pretty much everything I got and a bit more lol). I also have a brand new graphics card which I just got...........a Visiontek Xtasy 9200 AGP, uses Radeon 9200 chipset, 128mb memory, pretty decent. Will that handle this new engine? I believe it does have support for DirectX 9, not 100%, but 99% lol]

sry but a radeon 9200 is just as crap as an fx 5200. memory isnt everything. u have to look at bandwith, clock/memspeeds, vertex shaders and pixel pipelines. A good investment would be a 3000+ s939 athlon 64, an nforce 4 ultra motherboard, and a 6600gt pci-express, which would cost about $400-$500

Quote:

w00t! 2.08 should be enough then! And I think (and hope) that my computer's 120 GB can handle it.

it its an athlon then the processor is fine. Although how big your hard drive is does not affect performance whatsoever. The speed and buffer of the hardrive will only effect loading times. Im pretty sure tho that the game will only need like 5 gigabytes at the most

[This message has been edited by Chris27 (edited 01-01-2005 @ 01:18 AM).]

posted 01-01-05 02:19 AM EDT (US)     21 / 111  

Quote:

sry but a radeon 9200 is just as crap as an fx 5200

*did not realize my card was crap*

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
    posted 01-01-05 02:22 AM EDT (US)     22 / 111  
    If you want crap look at my GeForce 440 mx. Thats crap.

posted 01-01-05 02:24 AM EDT (US)     23 / 111  

Quote:

it its an athlon then the processor is fine. Although how big your hard drive is does not affect performance whatsoever. The speed and buffer of the hardrive will only effect loading times. Im pretty sure tho that the game will only need like 5 gigabytes at the most

Eh, we aren't going to use most of the space ever anyway. I am the only person that ever installs new things on the computer (out of the 2 people that use it) and even then it is quite rare.

I would say we have a good 100 left.
    *Stares at computer stats sticker*
    Yeah, it's an Athlon

"My fort was razed by cougars."
    posted 01-01-05 04:08 AM EDT (US)     24 / 111  
    While we're at it, let's post some specs.

Athlon XP 2700+
    Radeon 9600XT 128mb
    512mb RAM
    120gb Seagate HDD

    
    posted 01-01-05 05:05 AM EDT (US)     25 / 111  

Quote:

And I think (and hope) that my computer's 120 GB can handle it.

What do you think? Or were you just trying to impress us with mediocre specs?

And please don't post specs, it's of no use in this havoc thread.

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
    Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Havok Physics - How does it affect AoE3?
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames