You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: An Innovative Design for large Naval units that works for Ensemble's AoE3
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 01-12-05 01:04 AM EDT (US)   
Before I go on further, I would like to say that I’m fully aware that AoE3 is feature-complete at this point, thus, this topic is not aimed at giving design suggestions to AoE3, but rather for the sake of discussion and sharing ideas (perhaps for the expansion ).

(Go straight to page 2 if you find this introduction boring)

All right, as many of us here know, the water battles in of all of ES’games released thus far are quite lacking in comparison to the land counterpart. –– in the number of units, strategy, and excitement.

During the early development stages of AoM, ES experimented with a new design for naval units, but this was later cut because it didn’t have a fun gameplay design, as was told by one of ES’ designers. (Basically, a ship becomes an arrow ship if an archer is garrison in it, or if a swordman is garrison in it, it will become a hammer ship, etc.)

Thus, ES went back to the old design in which the naval battles consist of small ships in large numbers.

Now... as Age of Empires is moving into a new age, an age of discovery, I feel that the naval warfare of the game is an uninhabited territory that needs to be explored and expanded!

Recently, while reading several naval warfare topics, I came across a reply by elpea that has some very intriguing, innovative concepts that I believe can be very simple to apply to the “large ship” design for AoE3.

“It would be cool if your ships were like military buildings, you create your units there, but they stay in there, and when two ships face off, they "join" and the fight begins on board, after all the cannon fight.”

The general concept of a Galleon’s design

A Galleon could be viewed as a giant, floating building that can sail from one place to another, having both Economic and Military capabilities.

Think of a Galleon as a combination of a Town Center–Market–Castle that floats on water.

AS AN ECONOMIC BUILDINGa floating Town Center & Market

Operating as a Town Center, a Galleon can create villagers and fishing ships. Operating as a Market, a Galleon can spawn trading boats that can be sent to an ally’s dock or Galleon to collect gold coins.

(A villager is created; trading ships spawned by a Galleon)

AS A MILITARY STRUCTUREa floating Castle, Dock, & Siege Engine

Functioning as a military structure similar to the Castles in AoK (or Fortresses in AoM), a Galleon can train melee infantries and riffle-wielding units.

The created soldiers can either be sent directly to land (if land is close enough) or transported to land via transport ships. Another option is to have the soldiers spawn on the deck of the Galleon, and they would be able to move freely about the deck, garrison in its towers (to add extra line of sight), or garrison in its cannon towers (to reload the cannons faster, etc.).

In addition, a Galleon acts as a mother ship that can spawns a variety of naval units, including war galleys and transport ships.

Operating as a Siege Engine, a galleon is mounted with bombard cannons on the front and its sides. The cannons have immense range and firepower, but they are slow to reload and cannot fire at objects that are too close to the base (i.e. minimum range). Thus, a Galleon is vulnerable to enemy war galleys that are built for close-range combats.

What are your thoughts/opinions regarding this design concept for the Galleon? Let's hear them .

Replies:
posted 01-12-05 01:08 AM EDT (US)     1 / 30  
Wow, thanks friend

"Society has traditionally alwalys tried to find scapegoats for its problems, well, here I am." - Marilyn Manson, 1996
posted 01-12-05 01:14 AM EDT (US)     2 / 30  
sounds a bit Overpowered to me.
posted 01-12-05 01:16 AM EDT (US)     3 / 30  
Maybe one or the other. Not both. That's what I think. But great idea anyways.

posted 01-12-05 01:20 AM EDT (US)     4 / 30  
dont really seem realalistic at all, i mean ships cant jsut build other ships, thats what docks are for...
posted 01-12-05 03:45 AM EDT (US)     5 / 30  
Some of what your saying sounds great Alexandergreat but im not to sure about it creating villagers and other naval ships, but having soldiers walk on deck and when in a cannon fight rope over to the other ship and start fighting... could be very awesome indeed.
posted 01-12-05 04:04 AM EDT (US)     6 / 30  
It's a great idea, but I prefer load soldiers in it than create them on.
I think things like more LOS, hps, etc should be automatic since you've load more soldiers (and you'll have a max number, of course) instead of you've to micromanage this...

I think the best would be if you've 3 or 4 default ships (like AoM, AoK...) but with the capacity of load another land soldiers in the ship, to make it stronger, and so, make naval battles with your soldiers jumping in the enemy's ship to fight, like the real naval battles were in that period.

posted 01-12-05 08:29 AM EDT (US)     7 / 30  
Sounds really really nice, i hope this might be a reality.
posted 01-12-05 10:32 AM EDT (US)     8 / 30  
I'm not sure about the shipbuilding. I think it's better to build all ships at the docks. Galleons only purpose should be fighting. Making naval warfare a bit more complicated by allowing different forms of amunition (unlikely to be included in AOE3) and allowing units to be garrisoned in Galleons (incase you want to board the enemy ship and capture it rather than shoot it to pieces) would be great.

It's lame to quote yourself - aom dude
posted 01-12-05 10:41 AM EDT (US)     9 / 30  
Very nice thread indeed!

Yay, I had even forgotten I had said that

[This message has been edited by Elpea (edited 01-12-2005 @ 10:41 AM).]

posted 01-12-05 02:14 PM EDT (US)     10 / 30  
The economic stuff is a bit awkward... what would the graphics of a galleon producing a trade ship be? Why have it work that way instead of using normal docks? And it doesn't make much sense either for a ship to produce soldiers. But as far as loading different troops to have the ship work differently- I was hoping for that in AoM and I still think it's a great idea.

Well, now we will finish talking and go to his funeral dinner.
Don't be put out at our eating pancakes-
it's a very old custom and there's something nice in that!
You don't know it, but you belong here
posted 01-12-05 04:03 PM EDT (US)     11 / 30  
OMG!

That would be like the third (or is it just second?) coming!

Absolutely awesome concept.
I do wonder however.. if you could build tradeboats, and you can trade wih yourself.. then why not have 2 ships trade with one another in the middle of the ocean and get fabulossly rich..?

Thats the part i wonder a bit about. Otherwise, awesome!

Liberals are destroying the world!
LOL AIDS LOL
posted 01-12-05 04:43 PM EDT (US)     12 / 30  
Honestly i'm not realy for an economic thingy or other advantages.

Ships should be big AND valuable. So I would say just make it realy expensive but it is very strong and has heavy fire power. On top of that it can be used for trading (instead of normal trade vessels) So you could have different type of ships. Trading ships (lots of trading capacity, somewhat weaker hull/armament) and war ships which would ofcourse be the opposite. To fend them off (from land perspective) defensive structures and cannons should work, also ships shouldn't be too accurate so that they are effective vs. large targets (other ships, buildings) but have difficulty fighting small soldiers (unless very close together) and loose cannons. On the other hand, soldiers should not be too powerful against ships. Mostly just be able to shoot enemy soldiers off deck or something.

anyway, i'm realy for a bit more realistic approach.

posted 01-12-05 04:57 PM EDT (US)     13 / 30  
I think such a ship would be cool, but ridiculously overpowered (unless it had an extremely high cost, which probably won't be the case in a standard galleon.)
posted 01-12-05 05:11 PM EDT (US)     14 / 30  

Quote:

I think such a ship would be cool, but ridiculously overpowered (unless it had an extremely high cost, which probably won't be the case in a standard galleon.)

Using AOK terms here, would 2000 wood and 1500 coin be enough? A bit like a wonder.. taking 15 minutes to build.

Or alternatively buyable from the hometown for 4000 coin, but immediately.

?

Liberals are destroying the world!
LOL AIDS LOL

[This message has been edited by Ikki (edited 01-12-2005 @ 05:13 PM).]

posted 01-12-05 05:16 PM EDT (US)     15 / 30  
That sounds like an excellent idea, Alexander. I've always wanted real naval battles, and Ensamble never had them (which left me waitng for 0ad which is still a while away). In this time, and even today, ships were the most impressive machines of wat, and the most powerful, capable of beseiging fortresses and transporting hundreds of men across vast oceans.

One quam though: don't have ships create other ships. Everythine else you suggest, though, is brilliant.

In terms of looking to the future, i think a hunnic type of barbarian maybe turkic should sweep over Northern Europe just to create some activity of the region. I mean Sweden has been left out of a good solid fight for way to long as far as im concerned. Maybe a Hunnic Foreign Hoarde similar in practice to the French Foreign Legion. So they can recruit internationally, their base could be Turkmekistan.
EPHESTION
posted 01-12-05 06:02 PM EDT (US)     16 / 30  
Ships building other ships doesn't make sense. I'd like it if we could put soldiers on our ships and change the type of shot they fired, but anything else would really just be overkill.

SEXITUP.
Former Leader of the FPH Clan
Acting-President of AoMH
posted 01-12-05 06:25 PM EDT (US)     17 / 30  
In earlier ES games you built ships that had the sole purpose of transporting units, this is rather unrealistic at the fact that most warships in history normal doubled as a troop transport. What I like from the screenshots so far is that small transports actually come from the 'mothership' to land.

I wonder if there's going to be a boarding party type concept, because boarding ships at the time it was a common strategy that worked better then actually trying to sink a ship through cannon fire.

It's pretty hard to sink a ship simply by blowing a lot of holes in it's side, cannon fire most of the time was actually used to disable a ship by blowing the mast off or damaging it so it couldn't move. If a ship did sink by cannnon fire it normally was because a shot hit the ammo depot (which was located hold at the bottom of the ship), hit below the waterline (that could be stopped by the carpenter crew), or started created a spark which started a fire (which was normally put out fast by the crew who normally kept buckets of sand or water handy for such situations).

Point is that in the past cannon fire was mainly a used as a way to soften a ship up for boarding by killing the crew, or a way to disable the ship and not actually sink it. In The Battle of Trafalgar (one of the most notable naval navy conflicts of the time) of the 60-ish ships that were in the battle maybe 3 or less were sunk (one of them blew up).

Seeing that at the battle the British Navy had only 27 ships present and the french and spanish only a few more probably suggests that realistically ships were big and expensive (as stated by earlier posts). Hopefully in this game naval units will be more quality then quantity (like earlier ES games).

[This message has been edited by Blitzer_231 (edited 01-12-2005 @ 11:10 PM).]

posted 01-12-05 08:33 PM EDT (US)     18 / 30  

Quote:

dont really seem realalistic at all, i mean ships cant jsut build other ships, thats what docks are for...

The way it works is that the Galleon constructs small ships (tranports/canoes)

... to use in various circumstances, particularly when doing a fast sea-to-land invasion/rush

and the stategy in this is that it allows the attacker to quickly unloads his troops from the mother ship (Galleon) and pour them onto the enemy shore, and launch a full-scale assault on the defense before his opponent can counter attack.

(And don't forget about the exciting ship-to-ship boarding. Pirates of The Caribbean style! )

posted 01-12-05 10:25 PM EDT (US)     19 / 30  
Only if we get a Johnny Depp hero.

SEXITUP.
Former Leader of the FPH Clan
Acting-President of AoMH
posted 01-13-05 00:26 AM EDT (US)     20 / 30  
Lol Lief.

I want a parrot.

Btw, this is the type of thread that is allowed to get by my civilizations thread...which Peapea still hasn't changed the name of...because it adds a new idea. Great thread, great idea.

[This message has been edited by GoForGoldenJarls (edited 01-13-2005 @ 00:27 AM).]

posted 01-13-05 04:27 AM EDT (US)     21 / 30  
I think small ships will be automatically spawn from your ships when you order soldiers land somewhere, the same when you send your ship trade on a dock.
But they can't be produced by the player.

Capture enemy ships would be awesome!

posted 01-27-05 10:42 PM EDT (US)     22 / 30  
In the latest Gamespy interview, Greg Street (ES_Deathshrimp) mentioned about the inclusion of the Caribbean (and I *think* he mentioned about pirates ).
posted 01-28-05 00:28 AM EDT (US)     23 / 30  
I like the idea of having ships used as economic vessels. Not necessarily creating units, per se, yet for a form of a drop off point (if there are any).
posted 01-28-05 08:54 PM EDT (US)     24 / 30  
Nice ideas, except building other ships. Maybe it could start out with a few boarding ships since these didn't actually land on the shore.
posted 01-28-05 09:31 PM EDT (US)     25 / 30  
They should just make a simple new feature by allowing buyinga fully equipped warship in the docks, fully loadet with soldiers and crew, and the budget warship with skeleton crew, that way we don't have to micro the soldiers from the barrack to the warship.

Btw the rifles has white jets? C'mon ES you can do better than that, black gunpowder didn't make white smoke jets, it made huge smoketrails!

[This message has been edited by Defiler_of_INRI (edited 01-29-2005 @ 04:00 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » An Innovative Design for large Naval units that works for Ensemble's AoE3
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames