General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Bridges
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 02-19-05 11:03 AM EDT (US)   
Now with Havok and all, bridges should be a pretty interesting thing.. Just imagine luring your enemy into a bridge and while his entire army "compresses" to cross the bridge, you shoot a cannon round at the bridge... just the thought of that makes me shiver...

So, just wondering if bridges will make it into the game this time, and if they will be in RMSs or buildable.

Replies:
posted 02-19-05 11:11 AM EDT (US)     1 / 66  

Quote:

... just the thought of that makes me shiver...

...You really should get out more

LOL no but I agree. I think with this new engine they should be able to do loads of cool thinks. I'd like to see craters from cannon shot, and infatry units being blown about the place after being caught in a cross-fire

As for bridges themselves, I would like to see people walk under and over at the same time. That'd be a cool feature. Also, they should be fully destructable. This, as has been all through time, would mean loads of strategy.

Example:

Player A is trading with his ally (Player B) and defending against Player C's raids on Player B's village across the river. There is a single bridge seperating Player B from Player C.

Ergo, Player C marches his army to the bridge to take out Player B, and Player B knows he's done for as his army is at the other side of the map.

Luckily, Player A destroys the bridge so Player C has to spend time building a dock and transports to cross the river, now that the only way across has been destroyed. Finally, Player B's army crosses the river at the other side of the map thanks to Player A's transports waiting

A lot older, though no wiser.

[This message has been edited by w00tdaddy109 (edited 02-19-2005 @ 11:13 AM).]

posted 02-19-05 12:25 PM EDT (US)     2 / 66  
I think bridges are every AoM scenario designers dream. They would also add a new dimension to gameplay, as w00tdaddy said.
posted 02-19-05 12:36 PM EDT (US)     3 / 66  
wonder i you will be able to construct bridges across narrow river stretches

CHEAP TRICK
WAT A BAND
posted 02-19-05 12:38 PM EDT (US)     4 / 66  
There should definately be some random maps with bridges. Of course, by the end of the game they will have been destroyed by cannons, but maybe players will be allowed to rebuild them?

SEXITUP.
Former Leader of the FPH Clan
Acting-President of AoMH
posted 02-19-05 01:16 PM EDT (US)     5 / 66  
I really want to see a pioneer/engineer unit that can construct wooden bridges, as well as set up powderkegs. How great would that be?

You could even booby-trap bridges near enemy trade routes, and blow them up.

ES, you know you want to put in engineers!

Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.
posted 02-19-05 01:24 PM EDT (US)     6 / 66  

Quote:

I really want to see a pioneer/engineer unit that can construct wooden bridges, as well as set up powderkegs. How great would that be?

You could even booby-trap bridges near enemy trade routes, and blow them up.

ES, you know you want to put in engineers!

Quote:

Just imagine luring your enemy into a bridge and while his entire army "compresses" to cross the bridge, you shoot a cannon round at the bridge...

Some good points there

As many others obviously would, I'd like to see an engineer or similar sort of unit that can repair bridges. Building bridges is okay, but you lose the strategy don't you? I think repairing and holding them is better. That way (especially in multiplayer, I suppose) you would have a single game perhaps revolving around a set of bridges - as armies have in many conflicts. Including a famous Dutch bridge in WW2

I'd love to build a decent sized fort at a choke point by a river to:

a, defend the river itself; secure valuable fishing sites, etc.
b, secure the bridge for allied use only.
c, limit enemy trade routes.

Many of the ideas behind securing bridges in real life can of course be applied to virtual reality - a game

posted 02-19-05 02:02 PM EDT (US)     7 / 66  

Quote:

you shoot a cannon round at the bridge... just the thought of that makes me shiver...

*drools at the thought of drowning armies*

Quote:

Including a famous Dutch bridge in WW2

You really are a Dutch fan, aren't you?

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
|| In honor of FlipBizcut
|| Mod: The Age of Crusades

[This message has been edited by Argalius (edited 02-19-2005 @ 02:03 PM).]

posted 02-19-05 02:07 PM EDT (US)     8 / 66  
A Bridge Too Far = Great Film.
Dutch = Great People.

What's to say?

posted 02-19-05 02:11 PM EDT (US)     9 / 66  
Elpea has an awesome idea here. I wish you the bridges from AOK were destructible. But with the Havok.... Bombarding a bridge would be bloody awesome.
posted 02-19-05 02:34 PM EDT (US)     10 / 66  

Quote:

I really like this idea of bridges making their way into the game. I like the idea of an engineer being able to work with forward moving troops and being able build temporary wooden bridges or being able to blow up more permanente bridges. But I think villagers should be able to build larger, more stable bridges for city use in terms of trade and economics as well. This would go along with w00tdaddy's example of Players A, B, and C. But I would think the bridge in question would be a more stable bridge rather than a tempory wooden bridge used mainly for troop transport. My only concern would be or medium or larger size rivers...what would be done with the ships in the game. obviously small fishing or trading boats should be able to go under these bridges but what about the tall sailing ships we are seeing in the screen shots? Any thoughts?

posted 02-19-05 03:41 PM EDT (US)     11 / 66  

Quote:

My only concern would be or medium or larger size rivers...what would be done with the ships in the game. obviously small fishing or trading boats should be able to go under these bridges but what about the tall sailing ships we are seeing in the screen shots? Any thoughts?

Hmmm, not too sure. Perhaps large ships shouldn't be able to go through rivers at all? I don't know how you could get around that...

Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.
posted 02-19-05 03:44 PM EDT (US)     12 / 66  
they will probably have like a small gunboat type of ship taht can go up and down the rivers while the large galleons and frigates stay out to sea

CHEAP TRICK
WAT A BAND
posted 02-19-05 03:45 PM EDT (US)     13 / 66  
ill agree with wootdaddy that being able to build bridges would kind of take away the point of the game cuz tehn u could build them anywhere and they wouldn't be so important

so just repairing and destrouing them would be awesome

CHEAP TRICK
WAT A BAND
posted 02-19-05 03:49 PM EDT (US)     14 / 66  
Yeah, bridges would be hella cool!
Especially with wootdaddy's ideas.

    
posted 02-19-05 05:34 PM EDT (US)     15 / 66  
<b>*bumps to let ES see*</b>

[This message has been edited by Elpea (edited 02-19-2005 @ 05:41 PM).]

posted 02-19-05 05:38 PM EDT (US)     16 / 66  
If bridges were in RM games, perhaps they could only be constructed at certain points. Say, for example, if a bridge is destroyed, it could be rebuilt at that spot. I certainly hope that some form of bridge will appear in the game.
posted 02-19-05 07:00 PM EDT (US)     17 / 66  
You should be able to build bridges and destroy them. If an opposing force wants to use a river with a bridge on it, he should have to remove the bridge. As long as the bridges are suitably expensive and time consuming to build, people shouldn't try mass blockade techniques.
posted 02-19-05 08:03 PM EDT (US)     18 / 66  
---ill agree with wootdaddy that being able to build bridges would kind of take away the point of the game cuz tehn u could build them anywhere and they wouldn't be so important---

If they make bridge building a possibility, it will probably take so long, and be so expensive to build a bridge, you wouldn't want to destroy it. Instead, you would try to capture them from others without destroying them. I also think you should only be able to build them at certian places, maybe shallow water. As for boats, there are always draw bridges.

posted 02-19-05 08:22 PM EDT (US)     19 / 66  
pheasanthunter, you can use the "quote" feature in our forums, you can use it by typing:

[ quote=FORUMMER NAME]the quote here[/quote] (without spaces), which would generate:

Quoted from FORUMMER NAME:

the quote here

Hope that helps.

[This message has been edited by Elpea (edited 02-19-2005 @ 08:22 PM).]

posted 02-19-05 08:24 PM EDT (US)     20 / 66  
I'm glad so many of agree with my earlier points; so thanks for the support there guys

I think bridges should be some sore of gaia (neutral) object. That would probably do the trick. A lot of needless complication would be avoided that way, anyway.

Though I would love to see any information ES let slip about the whole bridge idea...

posted 02-19-05 11:11 PM EDT (US)     21 / 66  
If they required you to have units on both sides of the water where you want to build the bridge, as in the real world, then this would keep someone from being able to span a river into an opponents area. Also in a scenario you could still keep people out of an area with water. Furthermore, you would have to limit the span in some way and dealing with boats is a major issue. So I think building bridges is not going to happen. However, I would still like to see railway trestle bridges over ravines as I have said elsewhere. Those are my thoughts.

»»─ First_Timothy ─> 1 Timothy 1:5 <─ The goal is love. ─««
posted 02-20-05 02:04 AM EDT (US)     22 / 66  
Bridges should either be

a) Indestructible and None-constructible. This would create choke points and make for some awsome battles.

Or

B) destructible and buildible. this would lessen the importance of controling them but would make for pant wetting coolness as you take down a bridge crowded with enemy soldiers.

Another Idea that I think would be very good is to have big solid stone ones that are perminantly on the map and are indestructible and to also have wooden smaller buildable ones that are destructible.

"Forcast for tomorrow, a few sprinkles of genius WITH A CHANCE OF DOOM!" - Stewie

-Insert compulsory stupid George Bush quote Here-

posted 02-20-05 03:18 AM EDT (US)     23 / 66  
I regards to having Gaia bridges, if they cannot apply bridges to general RM play then maybe they can have it as a type of RM. Medditerranean, Highland, Bridge Too Far...

This would allow for a new variation of gameplay.
Details like massive draw bridges or smaller bridges can be used as options. Destructable or not etc.

Another bonus (especially if bridges could have boats go through or under and for bridges over land that people could go under) would be that scenario designers could possibly have an orgasmic experience at all the possibilities.

I imagine that having bridges would be very very useful in the single player campaign.

An another point that was brought up was whether the larger ships could be brought up rivers. This should depend on the deep of water and in real life; some rivers are deep and others shallow. Sandbars could play a role, hich leads to below.

I wonder about the possibilty of a steamship type riverboat. These were used by the English in the New Zealand Wars against the Maori in the mid 1800's.
They were used to go up the Waikato river but had to have shallow hulls(?) to get over the Sandbank at the mouth of the river. They were then used to bombard Maori fortifications.

And while i'm on the New Zealand note, what about Asia (India), South East Asia, Africa, and Australia and New Zealand? What role do they play in this new age game?
America is far from being the only place on Earth.
Britain was famed for having an empire that stretched around the globe.

Thats enough rambling for now.

posted 02-20-05 03:19 AM EDT (US)     24 / 66  
I don't necessarily like the idea of having the map generator handling bridge placement. I think its more strategic if you can build them and destroy them. The uniqueness and specialization of the structure can be preserved by cost/build time.
posted 02-20-05 09:54 AM EDT (US)     25 / 66  
that would be sweet to have like riverboats with a couple of cannon on them
though they would be able to be ambushed pretty easily from shore

CHEAP TRICK
WAT A BAND
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Bridges
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames