Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Offplace constructions?
posted 02-27-05 07:01 PM EDT (US)   
http://elpea.net/aoe3-1.JPG
http://elpea.net/aoe3-2.JPG
I thought that with Havok and all, things would keep themselfs on top of the ground, the building is ok, but the horse's leg is kinda weird.

Just thought I'd share Cheezy's find

[This message has been edited by Elpea (edited 03-02-2005 @ 09:01 PM).]

Replies:
posted 02-27-05 07:04 PM EDT (US)     1 / 8  
Lol. Age of Empires 3: No Need For Gravity. Nice find guys!

In a mad world only the mad are sane.
-Akira Kurosawa
posted 02-27-05 07:47 PM EDT (US)     2 / 8  
That's an old "bug" from AoM.

In the editor, when a building is placed and moved to another spot (with uneven elevations), part of the building will appeared as though it is hovering above the ground.

posted 02-27-05 07:53 PM EDT (US)     3 / 8  
Well I though those were screens from ingame like the horses were actually moving not being placed there and having a screen taken..
posted 02-27-05 08:02 PM EDT (US)     4 / 8  

Quote:

That's an old "bug" from AoM.

I know it is.. but the thing is, AoE3 is suppose to have realistic physics.. and unless somebody taught me wrong, horses don't float

It's just an interesting find though, not really bad nor it hurts the gameplay.

posted 02-27-05 10:13 PM EDT (US)     5 / 8  
Yeah, AoE3 is still based on the Bang! engine, so we'll have some of these same bugs.

SEXITUP.
Former Leader of the FPH Clan
Acting-President of AoMH
posted 02-28-05 00:30 AM EDT (US)     6 / 8  
Well, pretty much all that code has been rewritten from AOM days...

Anyhow, the way I/we look at it, this is less of a bug than a feature tradeoff. Yes, we could properly fixup everything to the terrain, but doing so is more costly than not doing it. We've made a bunch of effort to change/fix things specifically so that we *can* fix this up, but sometimes 90% of the solution is what you need in a game where you have hordes of units running around

We do care about fixing up stuff like this. Obviously, it doesn't look good. But, an RTS game is an exercise in tradeoffs. Every game is to some extent, but things dealing with movement/placement/terrain are exacerbated in a game that stresses those systems.

Anyhow, we should be able to fix these 2 by ship

dave

posted 02-28-05 04:24 PM EDT (US)     7 / 8  
Thanks Dog,

Buildings not laying on the ground is so frustrating (although was somewhat untilized as a benefit in Map tricks) .

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG

[This message has been edited by RiderOfEternity (edited 02-28-2005 @ 04:25 PM).]

posted 02-28-05 07:13 PM EDT (US)     8 / 8  
Sometimes the models of the building extends underground so that if the terrain slants at a weird angle the building has some space under to fill the gap.

I can fool you.

« Previous Page 1 2 3 4 ··· 5 Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Offplace constructions?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames