You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: First New World Landfall, Perhaps?
posted 03-12-05 05:22 PM EDT (US)   
The most interesting screenshot to me so far is this one: http://aoe3.heavengames.com/gallery/aoe3-earlyshots/aas?full=1

Number 18 in AoE III Heaven's Screenshot Gallery, it has no title, but it's a seacoast scene and the ship looks pretty basic - oceangoing, but not much else. It has nothing and no one obviously on board.

IF (big IF) this is an in-game shot, rather than an editor setup, it suggests several things to me.

First and foremost, it looks like this almost has to be the initial landing in the new world of a party of colonists. If that is so, your initial strength for AoE3 may be one ship and 5 or 6 colonists.

Your initial party of colonists may have a mix of skills/roles. I see eight human figures, of whom I believe two are Native American (Huron, or some other Northeastern tribe, by their dress). Of the six probable Europeans, two appear to be soldiers (perhaps musketeers, who perhaps can both fight and hunt), two appear to be basic civilians {woodchoppers/builders/farmers - one man, one woman - in the two small boats (Yay!!)}, one is possibly a specialized working civilian (a Coureur, for hunting/scouting, I think - although he might be a third Native American), and one leader/merchant/trader type (in a dressy coat and snazzy white hat, nearest the boxes).

It looks as if this type of ship may carry/spawn one or two smaller boats for ship-to-shore movement where there is no dock, and which can perhaps also be used for fishing.

It looks as if colonists, trade goods, and/or your initial supplies/tools, may have to be physically brought ashore - not just ejected/teleported from the ships (because of the boxes and the small boats in this supposed "First Landfall" scene).

Trade/communication with the natives may be permissible (and perhaps even required) before you start a colony.

Or, of course, my imagination could be out of control. What do you think?

Strive For Ataraxia

[This message has been edited by OldGrex (edited 03-12-2005 @ 06:05 PM).]

Replies:
posted 03-12-05 06:01 PM EDT (US)     1 / 8  
I'm afraid all of those screenshots were taken in the editor. But nice ideas nonetheless.

    
posted 03-12-05 09:06 PM EDT (US)     2 / 8  
It's almost certainly an editor shot set up for cosmetics.
posted 03-12-05 09:08 PM EDT (US)     3 / 8  
Yea I think its an editor shot too however I do think the single player campaign will start with you making land on the shores of america (north or south), but not the rm's.

Its not paranoia if they are really after you, is it?

[ quote ] I find it funny how many people don't know how to us these.[ / quote ]

posted 03-12-05 09:44 PM EDT (US)     4 / 8  
ya i agree with you guys,plus...........it doesnt look like a very good place to start a settlement anyway.

War is Death! Living is War!
posted 03-13-05 04:29 AM EDT (US)     5 / 8  
Great Idea... not that my input is needed, but ES said that the more of us agree on one idea - the more likely they are to include, so hey - anyone who thinks this is cool, drop a line. POWER TO THE PEOPLE

I believe in three things in life; God, Love, and Truth. Everything else is not worth your life or death.
posted 03-13-05 04:35 AM EDT (US)     6 / 8  
If it is in game then I don't think it is the 'First New World Landfall' because they're already talking to natives.

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
posted 03-13-05 05:00 AM EDT (US)     7 / 8  
I say ships should upgrade individually, since in the real world, you never have upgrades done to the fleet as a whole, and I'm not asking this just for the sake of realism either. If ships have an rpg element to them, whereas the crew will gain experience points and then you could decide on what new abilities the ship will have (where you could choose to make it better offensively, defensively, or speed-wise (but not overpowered) ships used in this fashion would make them more important. then you could have a fleet of smaller support ships around this one main ship. anyway. I only have one thing to ask of ES, make sea battles count, and make them interesting. that's all. POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

I believe in three things in life; God, Love, and Truth. Everything else is not worth your life or death.
posted 03-13-05 09:51 AM EDT (US)     8 / 8  
Well, I doubt that it would be a standard start, but it would be helluva cool if it was a start of some non-standard random map (like Nomad).

Some folks are born made to wave the flag
Ooh, they're red, white and blue
And when the band plays "Hail to the Chief"
They point the cannon at you, Lord
- CCR, Fortunate Son
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » First New World Landfall, Perhaps?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames