Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Territories?
posted 03-13-05 02:33 PM EDT (US)   
There was a rumor, some time ago, about Age of Empires 3 having territories, at first I didn't believe, but some other rumors coming from the same source began to be revealed.. Anyway, I was looking at Blumen's screenshots today and noticed some "white lines" in the minimaps:
[JPEG, (167.39 KB)]
[JPEG, (182.46 KB)]

Could those be the supposed territories?

Replies:
posted 03-13-05 02:36 PM EDT (US)     1 / 17  
Maybe, but it somehow seems that those white lines could just be roads. It's very difficult to outline exactly who's boundry it would be - Especially in the case of the first image as the white line divides a player to nothing. To add, considering roads/railway tracks are in the game, those could be what the white lines represent.

Question though - what is that white circle on the white line in the first picture?

[This message has been edited by Angel Sunny (edited 03-13-2005 @ 02:38 PM).]

posted 03-13-05 02:40 PM EDT (US)     2 / 17  
The first white line looks like some kind of road. I'm not sure what the white dot could be, maybe a Native village on the road? The white lines in screenshot 2 don't really look like logical paths for roads to follow though.

The white dot could be a train station on a railway as well I guess.

Everyone got AIDS and shit

[This message has been edited by Fwiffo (edited 03-13-2005 @ 02:41 PM).]

posted 03-13-05 02:42 PM EDT (US)     3 / 17  

Quote:

The first white line looks like some kind of road. I'm not sure what the white dot could be, maybe a Native village on the road? The white lines in screenshot 2 don't really look like logical paths for roads to follow though.

Agreed, but notice how the red and blue players are on both sides of the lines. It's as though the lines don't correspond with the placement of the civilizations.

If it is a road/railway, it's placed most likely just for showcase feel by a scenario designer. It could also be a map only feature. Much like being able to find idle units on the map.

[This message has been edited by Angel Sunny (edited 03-13-2005 @ 02:44 PM).]

posted 03-13-05 02:45 PM EDT (US)     4 / 17  
In the second one, the white line crosses player's LOS, yet nothing can be seen on the screen...
posted 03-13-05 03:56 PM EDT (US)     5 / 17  
Maybe the lines and white dot have something to do with the single player campaign.

Also looking at the screenshot with the two white lines, each one has a gold line on it near the center lake.

posted 03-13-05 04:10 PM EDT (US)     6 / 17  

Quoted from fhertlein:

Also looking at the screenshot with the two white lines, each one has a gold line on it near the center lake.

Nice catch. I didn't notice that the first time I saw the screen. Or the second time either. Perhaps they are bridges? Or train stations on a railway?

Quoted from Shusky:

In the second one, the white line crosses player's LOS, yet nothing can be seen on the screen...

At first I'd agree with that... but the image is obviously cropped. There should also be green terrain in the north side of the screen, but there's only a small smidgen of what should be there. Maybe the "road" or "railway" got cut out of what we see?

In my mind, it makes more sense for the white lines to be railways or roads. In the second screen it looks a bit strange, but that could just be the scenario and the way it's supposed to look. *shrugs*

The first screen, the white line is most definitely a path from point A to point B. I can't think of anything else that would look like that on a mini-map and NOT be a road/path/train track/etc.

ShadoAngel /-| Special Ops Paintball | Red vs Blue |-\
"Lord what fools these mortals be!" ~Shakespeare
posted 03-13-05 04:19 PM EDT (US)     7 / 17  
Ah, true. The top-right corner is missing.

On a side note, we just learned that Heavy Cannon has 700hp

posted 03-13-05 04:27 PM EDT (US)     8 / 17  
It's not railroads or roads or anything visible I can tell you that.

The Genetically Enhanced Cauliflower
Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window.
Click Here to visit my website.

posted 03-13-05 04:33 PM EDT (US)     9 / 17  
DAMNIT! If only...

In the interface, the British flag is displayed. If only they'd shown us an unknown one...

sig
posted 03-14-05 05:38 PM EDT (US)     10 / 17  
Looks like a road to me.

SEXITUP.
Former Leader of the FPH Clan
Acting-President of AoMH
posted 03-17-05 11:09 PM EDT (US)     11 / 17  
There was some talk in forums I have seen about cannons being objects that can be captured and turned aganst the original owner *fiendish smile* or anyone else within range. But the 700 HP leads me to belive not, it doesn't seem like a cannon would have high HP if it is something that can be captured so easily. It would be awesome however, a large group of curriasers charging through a gap in the ranks of an enemy, cleared by your artilerys grape shot, seizing the cannon and turning it against those who used it before...IDK, just a thought. sorry for getting off topic.
posted 03-18-05 10:43 AM EDT (US)     12 / 17  
The high hp could be the weapon's intergrity, while the crew might just take one or two swipes of a sword to kill.

][- ][_ . ][\/][ (()) ][) ][) (())
Angelcynn > Niwe Middangeard ~ Ic
posted 03-18-05 02:38 PM EDT (US)     13 / 17  
and you need your own engineers or whatnat to capture it,not cavalry like in cossacks hopefully.that game was crap with its capture system
posted 03-18-05 03:00 PM EDT (US)     14 / 17  
Look at developer diary #7, 35 seconds into the movie. There's a drop-down menu in the editor labelled "Rename all territories".

Can I have a w00t for this groundbreaking discovery?

As a side note on siege engines: In Empires the UK could capture siege engines by eliminating everything near them and reducing them to 1/2 hit points. And the Koreans captured citizens by giving you a free citizen at your TC for every one you killed (not to mention that the English priests could convert units). Finally, the US Engineer could capture buildings. It worked really well, and I certainly hope something like it is in AoE 3.

Woad Creations veteran, WiC junkie

[This message has been edited by Midgard Eagle (edited 03-18-2005 @ 03:01 PM).]

posted 03-18-05 03:19 PM EDT (US)     15 / 17  

It atleast doesn't seem that they are limiting construction of buildings inside your territories only (if the screenshots do depict territories).

Also, I don't think siege engines can be captured in AoE3.

Can you do the Double Yoda?
A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
posted 03-19-05 07:20 PM EDT (US)     16 / 17  
Why is it that when I make a ground-breaking discovery, the thread dies?!

()

Quote:

It atleast doesn't seem that they are limiting construction of buildings inside your territories only (if the screenshots do depict territories).

Maybe it's a bonus area generated by your home town or something?

Woad Creations veteran, WiC junkie
posted 03-19-05 11:49 PM EDT (US)     17 / 17  
Territories irritate me. The ground you control is what your territory is, what's the point of having artificial lines on a map that show it?

Midgard Eagle it seems has confirmed them so I guess they do something.

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Territories?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames