You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Ugly GUI - Give players the power to choose one!
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 03-13-05 02:33 PM EDT (US)   
ok, so I saw some pictures of the new GUI, and I think it's butt ugly... now why would I say such a thing? well - you see all the beautiful effects, graphics, and physics that ES has put their heart and soul into, and here is this huge thing blocking the view of all that graphical goodness! What's the point of making such a beatiful game and then blocking a third or fourth of the screen with the GUI?
I really like the way MAXIS makes guis in their games, they're much more intuitive.
Another question would be, why doesn't ES just let us skin our own gui's? if not that - at least create a wide range where we could just choose the gui we want to use. I believe intermediate players do want a gui but a much smaller one, or at least one that is see through. it would be kind of like a looking glass or something of that nature. anyway, some random thoughts and ideas:

- Give players the ability to choose a GUI based on their preferences, a full featured one for beginners, one that takes up less screen space for intermediates, and just a very very basic one for experts (or just people who use shortcuts exclusively)
- Create a semi transparent gui so you would not be in the complete dark to whats going on under it
- Heck, MAKE A BETTER GUI, they put all their time and money into this thing to make the game look like the best thing you ever seen, and here is this ugly block of wood popping out?! get real.

What do you guys think? do you want choice? if not then at least do you want a gui that DOES NOT BLOCK SO MUCH graphical goodness? speak up guys. ES can still hear us, and if we make enough noise about it, they're bound to take our view into account...POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!!

Edit: I believe Ensemble Studios cares enough about their game that they will make the best UI the world has ever seen (at least that's what I hope)

I believe in three things in life; God, Love, and Truth. Everything else is not worth your life or death.

[This message has been edited by Ivan_Grozney (edited 03-16-2005 @ 02:09 PM).]

Replies:
posted 03-13-05 02:37 PM EDT (US)     1 / 78  
I think there are player made GUIs for AoM, along the lines you are talking of. I am sure some will become available, if not included as an option in the game itself.

I lost in the AOE3H FRR
Support Gay Pride!
Michael Jackson is innocent!
G-Dubs is the greatest president evah!
posted 03-13-05 02:43 PM EDT (US)     2 / 78  
Yeah, the general consensus from Blumen's thread is that:

-Ao3 physics are awesome
-So is Blumen
-The UI sucks, however.

I really hope they change it, doesn't fit those beautiful graphics...

posted 03-13-05 02:49 PM EDT (US)     3 / 78  
It has already been stated by an ES employee that they do Not have a final UI ready yet. What you see in those screens in only a beta version. I am sure they will change it a few more times until it suits the game better visualy and function wise before the official release.
posted 03-13-05 02:50 PM EDT (US)     4 / 78  
I hope you are right

I believe in three things in life; God, Love, and Truth. Everything else is not worth your life or death.
posted 03-13-05 02:52 PM EDT (US)     5 / 78  

Quoted from Shusky:

Yeah, the general consensus from Blumen's thread is that:
-Ao3 physics are awesome
-So is Blumen
-The UI sucks, however.

LMAO!!! Yep Blumen sure is THE hero of AoE III fora! Long live that dude.

AoE III graphic and physic engine is fit for an emperor, but comes with a GUI-donkey of a steed.

posted 03-13-05 03:23 PM EDT (US)     6 / 78  
bah, make the minimap in the RIGTH no LEFT of the screen, it will confuse me

Death is sorrowful... Being alive is even more sorrowful...
posted 03-13-05 04:06 PM EDT (US)     7 / 78  
I don't think that is the final interface, just a functional one.
posted 03-13-05 04:16 PM EDT (US)     8 / 78  
The GUI is fine.. Allowing people to mod their GUI = more resouces not spent on game play and balancing...

It is fine the way it is.

posted 03-13-05 04:43 PM EDT (US)     9 / 78  
The UI looks ok -- not too good, but not that bad.

The only thing that should be corrected is the position of the minimap. It is so much easier to use when it's on the right side, and it worked really well in past "Age of" games. I really don't understand why ES put it on the left this time... Perhaps it's because some other games (such as Warcrafts) have their minimap on the left?

If this is the case, then I really suggest that ES make it so that it's possible for the player to move the minimap to the left or right, depending on what's easier for them.

posted 03-13-05 04:47 PM EDT (US)     10 / 78  

Quote:

Allowing people to mod their GUI = more resouces not spent on game play and balancing...

The UI position are done by programmers (which is very easy to do).

Gameplay and balancing are done by different people -- the balancing teams that are comprised of skilled RTS players.

Therefore, spending time of UI has nothing to do with gameplay and balance .

posted 03-13-05 04:50 PM EDT (US)     11 / 78  
This is why we don't dump tons of screens of the UI It's not done yet

That said, the minimap is likely going to be on the left side.

posted 03-13-05 04:53 PM EDT (US)     12 / 78  
I think change is hard to accept, but we'll get used to it.

But I think the point of the thread remains, could it be at least made easier to mod the interface? As in, not packing the XMLs into a single data file?

posted 03-13-05 05:08 PM EDT (US)     13 / 78  

Quote:

That said, the minimap is likely going to be on the left side.

ES_BigDog, I don't see a smiley face next to that, so I take it that you're serious about the minimap being on the left.

If you're still reading this, I'll try to explain why the minimap is easier to use on the right for the players. The major reason is because, if you notice with the internet explorer, the scroller is located on the Right side, and movement done with the pointer is instinctively done on the right to scroll up and down .

Now imagine with, say, window XP "special edition", the scroll bar is switch to the left side:

Can you see that the movement is already very awkward?

posted 03-13-05 05:09 PM EDT (US)     14 / 78  
I'll have my doubts until I see the final build, if it looks like crap compared to the overall graphics of the game, I guess I will get upset... then learn all the hotkeys and turn off the danged thing. Who wants an ugly UI? If it looks something more along the lines of stained glass or something classy, very compact, AND semi-transparent, I will be VERY VERY Happy. Please ES, make the whole in-game experience shine, not just the graphics engine of the game. We will thank-you, in huge hordes at the shopping malls and game stores

posted 03-13-05 05:10 PM EDT (US)     15 / 78  
I say it's great that the minimap is on the left side. just that the UI sucks.

posted 03-13-05 05:22 PM EDT (US)     16 / 78  
NO! Why must the minimap be on the left?! *cries*

EDIT: I quite liked this minimal interface:

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG

[This message has been edited by RiderOfEternity (edited 03-13-2005 @ 05:27 PM).]

posted 03-13-05 05:24 PM EDT (US)     17 / 78  
My thoughts is that I wish to have multiple options for the UI, semi-transparent, none at all, full, etc... that'd be great. Also, I like the current UI, but the Minimap on the left side will be something hard to live with.

posted 03-13-05 05:32 PM EDT (US)     18 / 78  

Quote:

but the Minimap on the left side will be something hard to live with.

Having the minimap on the left side for movement is like having a right-handed person use his mouse with his left hand while trying to type with the right hand.

posted 03-13-05 05:38 PM EDT (US)     19 / 78  
Alexanderthegreat3 deserves a medal. Very nice analogy, IMO.

However, I'm so used to playing Halo 2, that by now I'm used to looking the bottom left corner of my screen. . . .

edit: people post so fast nowadays. I'm reffering to the scrollbar analogy in my post.

ShadoAngel /-| Special Ops Paintball | Red vs Blue |-\
"Lord what fools these mortals be!" ~Shakespeare

[This message has been edited by ShadoAngel (edited 03-13-2005 @ 05:39 PM).]

posted 03-13-05 05:49 PM EDT (US)     20 / 78  
left or righT?????? it could be the next poll

Death is sorrowful... Being alive is even more sorrowful...

[This message has been edited by scentless (edited 03-13-2005 @ 05:50 PM).]

posted 03-13-05 05:52 PM EDT (US)     21 / 78  
i hope u can actually adjust the GUI to ur own desire!!!!!
posted 03-13-05 06:16 PM EDT (US)     22 / 78  
woah, now there's an idea - I would love an adjustable gui. this way players can be in more control of how they play the game.

posted 03-13-05 08:04 PM EDT (US)     23 / 78  
Moving the minimap to the left does take a while to get used to for existing players, no doubt about that. But, for new players, it's obviously not an issue.

Anyhow, we have lots of UI data/experience/beliefs that says it's better on the left (bottom left being more of a default looking spot for folks than bottom right, etc.).

In the end, IMO, it's what you get used to. It's definitely weird for a game or so to have it on the left. But, now, it's second nature. And, by moving it to the left, we've seen a rise in how many folks pay attention/notice stuff on the minimap.

dave

posted 03-14-05 01:51 AM EDT (US)     24 / 78  
It will take some time to get used to the minimap on the left, but it could be it's easier this way like you argue.

I have a request/question: I've seen on the first (illegal (?)) screenshots that the resources stood in the upper left corner. Wasn't it better that way to find them back? What's the reason you put them beneath next to the minimap?

posted 03-14-05 03:09 AM EDT (US)     25 / 78  
Guys, the GUI isn't finished yet so whats the big deal? And it doesn't look that bad. Don't overdramatize the small things.

I can fool you.

« Previous Page 1 2 3 4 ··· 5 Next Page »
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Ugly GUI - Give players the power to choose one!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames